Join our email list →

Kitty Kat Blues - Black Raven Brewing Co.

Kitty Kat BluesKitty Kat Blues

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Reviews by the Alström Bros:

None found.

3.99/5  rDev +3.9%

Poured into a Black Raven pint glass. Pours a medium to dark coppery amber with a thin off-white head that slowly dissipates leaving light lacing. Aroma of blueberries and bready yeast, surprisingly like a blueberry muffin. Flavor starts with light sweet malt and fresh blueberries, then quickly develops a deeper biscuit malt flavor, then finishes with an almost astringent bitterness that left me searching my mind for the hop variety before I realized it must be the catnip kicking in. Finishes with lingering bitterness from the hops and catnip. Medium bodied with light creaminess. Very interesting flavor progression with very nice fresh blueberry flavor. The catnip bitterness is harder to get used to than the more familiar hops and any hop flavors seem to be dominated by the catnip. It reminded me of camomile in its earthy bitterness. One of the better blueberry ales I've had and novel to drink.

3.78/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.25/5  rDev +10.7%

3.49/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22oz bottle served in pint glass. Beer pours a lovely amber color, crystal clear, and forms a surprisingly large white pillowy head. Immediate rushing aroma of blueberries. Flavor... well, it tastes like a blueberry beer. Not a blueberry wheat (Sea Dog, Wachusett), nor a lager (Sam Adams). Just a straight ahead American amber ale with the classic blueberry ale flavor. There is a dryness in the finish which is kind of herbal -- and not in a good way. Maybe that's the catnip? Unfortunately I don't detect the vanilla bean at all. I'm not loving this, and I don't think I'd try it again. Then again I'm not a huge fan of blueberries in any form so what did I expect? Lovers of blueberry beers would probably get a lot more out of it than I.

4.3/5  rDev +12%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Loved the taste of blue berries, not sure what cat nip taste like or added to this excellent beer.

3.5/5  rDev -8.9%

4.42/5  rDev +15.1%

Claims to be a blueberry vanilla catnip beer. I can't say I know what catnip tastes like, but blueberry and vanilla are very strong. I haven't had this combo of flavors in any other beer, but they seem to work very well. I personally love the strong flavors, which makes this one of my favorite light beers.

4.48/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.66/5  rDev +21.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

3.75/5  rDev -2.3%

4.5/5  rDev +17.2%

4.25/5  rDev +10.7%

3.97/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.91/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.04/5  rDev +5.2%

4.65/5  rDev +21.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Really impressed by this pale ale. The vanilla and blueberry make this highly drinkable and it's perfect for a hot summer day. This would be one of my go to ales if it was available year round

3.88/5  rDev +1%

On Tao at the Brewery on 12-21-12

A - Served a beautiful nitro creamy orange with a silky smooth creamy colored head. Of course amazing retention due to the nitro tap.

S - Blueberries and some sweet bready toast.

T - Blueberry pancakes. Very tasty, but it seems to get a bit cloying after a while.

D - Great body and Nitro. Silky smooth.

O - If you want a sweet blueberry pancake dessert. This is it.

4.39/5  rDev +14.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

3.75/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

22oz (bottled 4/30/2015) into a tulip. Pours a clear coppery amber w/ a 1-finger head.

Aroma is floral and sweet, a touch grainy.

Taste is sweet, herbal, tea-like. Bready malt, berry sweetness. And there's an unusual bitterness here I can't put my finger on; catnip? Wouldn't know. Has almost a spicy bite to it, like cayenne. Not really getting much vanilla, maybe more the suggestion of vanilla in terms of a general softness.

Mouthfeel is balanced and medium-bodied, about right for a pale ale.

Overall a unique beer, not sure I would go for it again.

4.59/5  rDev +19.5%

On nitro into a plastic keg cut at Black Raven's 2013 Flock Party.

Appearance: Orange and very opaque. Thanks to the nitro, a very fluffy head of durable foam.

Aroma: This beer smells like blueberry pancakes in the best possible way. There are initial notes of berry, followed by grainy sweetness, with tropical hop character on the end.

Taste: Taste follows aroma but is a bit too sweet.

Mouthfeel: Nitro.

Overall: I loved this beer but I could see some finding it too sweet and I'm not sure I would want more than one. Certainly, this beer's scarcity, added to the experience for me.

3.96/5  rDev +3.1%

2.98/5  rDev -22.4%

Dark amber color with a modest head in the Affligem chalice. Distinct fruity aroma, though it's hard to tell what at the beginning. The vanilla shows up in the nose.

I"m not sure blueberries is what I would think of, tasting this stuff. The bitterish, herbal finish is different. Tangy and aromatic. Maybe they should have tossed the berries and kept the catnip. However, after some sipping the astringent bitterness seems to take over. And then there's that annoying vanilla note.

I don't get much sweetness or cloying sensation, but there's something icky about this. Well made, crisp, and clean, on the plus side. But not enough to make me want to finish the 22 oz bottle. Purchased at a market in Portland.

3.87/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

I'll try anything Black Raven. They do good work. Draft at Bindlestick in Snoqualmie.

This one is out there. Not really a fruit beer kind of guy unless it's sour with fruit but...

It's not quite amber, clear with a small white head that lasts and leaves some lacing.

Armoa is pretty malty with some fruit but not something I would pick out as blueberries if I didn't know already.

Taste is kind of strange too. It's fruity but still not, "This is Blueberry" with decen hop bitterness and herbs with a hint of vanilla. No one thing really stands out and it all blends pretty well. It just works in combo.

I like it. I would and will have another.

3.92/5  rDev +2.1%

I had this beer on-tap in a big tulip at Special Brews in Lynnwood, WA.

Appearance: Rich copper hue with a crystal clarity and a nice layer of ivory foam. Very attractive.

Smell: light berry and toast. An interesting melange.

Taste: very berry like right up front and throughout, atop a toasty base. Pretty good for a blueberry beer!

Mouthfeel: medium body with a good carbonation and decent creaminess.

Overall: a fascinating beer which I happen to really like.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Kitty Kat Blues from Black Raven Brewing Co.