IPA - Tailgate Beer

Beer added by: HalfFull on 06-08-2012

to view more.
Ratings: 47 | Reviews: 20
1.06/5  rDev -57.3%

Not an IPA...terrible!! Malt profile dominates and has awful undesired flavors. This brewery should be ashamed for putting this out.

3.95/5  rDev +59.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

This is a fruity IPA. Pineapple and cider turn to tangerine at the end. Good amount of maltiness, considering the relatively low ABV. I like this one a lot and for $1.69 for 24 oz, it's a no-brainer. Cheers!

3.92/5  rDev +58.1%

The can calls it Session IPA
(Served in a dimple mug)
This beer pours a nice slightly hazy bright copper body with a thick lumpy cream that has some good lacing with each sip. The aroma of soft green hops has some mint like qualities and some more woody hop flavor in the finish. The taste has a sweet toffee malt note that takes on more of a crystal malt flavor as it opens and the finish has a slightly pungent yet soft hop flavor.

This is a nice easy drinking IPA but the malt sweetness is a bit stronger than the hop profile with is more pungency that hop flavor.

2.34/5  rDev -5.6%

The can looked interesting with the load of hops in the back of the truck. So I tried it. Eh, nothing to write home about. I'll finish the six-pack, but I won't buy it again. It does have a think, frothy head that maintains for a fairly long time, the lacing is interesting if you are into abstract art caused by beer lacing, and it does bubble quite a bit. All in all, I was disappointed. I kind of wish I hadn't started with this sixer tonight, but hey, it's still beer, so here we go...

1.91/5  rDev -23%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 1.75

I picked up a can of Tailgate Beer's IPA last week for $1.45 at Boyne Country Provisions. I needed one more beer for my mixed six pack and sine I've never head of this brewery I thought I would give them a chance, so lets see how it goes. No visible canning date. Poured from a 12oz can into a imperial pint glass.

A- The can looks ok, but it's slightly cheesy looking and I don't think it's too eye catching. It poured a very hazy darker golden color that took on more of a golden amber color when held to the light with a about a fingers worth of slightly off white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some rings of patchy lacing behind. This was a nice looking IPA, but i wish it had a little more head.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of sweetness has that has a weird rock candy like aroma and it's followed by the malts being the first to show up and they impart a slightly grainy, stale malt, caramel malt and higher amount of sweet malt like aromas. Up next comes an apple cider like aroma. This beer didn't have a good aroma, there were no hops and the stale and sweet malts seem to dominate it.

T- The taste seems to be very similar to the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of sweetness that still has that weird rock candy like flavor to it and it's followed by the malts which impart the same crappy aspects that they did in the aroma with sweet and stale malts seeming to stick out the most along with a good amount of caramel malts in the back ground. Up next comes the weird apple juice flavors that sticks out just a little more than it did in the aroma. On the finish there's no hops and just a very light amount of bitterness that's hardly noticeable with some more sweetness and it had a stale malt, sweet malt and apple juice like aftertaste. This wasn't a good tasting IPA at all, there were no hops and the malt base was a mess.

M- A little smooth, not clean, a little cloying, a little sticky, medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel wasn't that great, a IPA shouldn't be sticky like this.

Overall I thought this beer sucked and I thought it was a bad example of the style, it was just bad all around, there were no hops to speak of and the malt base was just one big mess, it didn't make for an enjoyable beer. This beer didn't have good drinkability, it was a little smooth, not clean, a little cloying, a little sticky, a little filling, and the taste did not do a good job of holding my attention, half the can is enough for me and I don't think I would want to suffer through drinking a full one. What I like the most about this beer was the appearance, it was the only aspect that wasn't bad and it was the only aspect that was true to style. What I liked the least about this beer was the aroma and taste, they were both bad all around and there was no bright side to any of it. I wouldn't buy this beer again and I would for sure turn this down and I would tell people to steer clear of it since it's just a bad beer all around. All in all I absolutely disliked this beer, I don't like to hate anything, but this might be it. I don't know how a brewer can make a beer like this and have no problem releasing it to the public as an IPA, it shouldn't be released as any style, it just bad, end of story. This beer made for a bad first impression of TaIlgate Beer and I don't think I'll be trying more of their beers anytime soon. I'm pretty sure this is the worst IPA I've ever had. This one needs some major work guys, in fact you might wanna throw away this recipe and go back to the drawing board, better luck next time.

1.09/5  rDev -56%

I bought this at grocery outlet because it was $5 a six pack and it looked like it could be a decent craft brew. I thought, how bad could it be? Well.... it was one of the 2 worst beers I have had in my life. There have only been 2 I couldn't finish more than a sip of and this was one. Under no circumstances would I ever consider this an IPA. I can't even explain how strange the taste was. It was like a mix of honey and dirty feet. I then tried to give the rest away to a bum and even he wouldn't drink it.

2.24/5  rDev -9.7%

Tailgate Beer - The Official Craft Beer of Tailgating!

Tailgate is "craft" beer that is:
- Contract brewed by Minhas in Monroe, Wisconsin.
- Marketed to light beer drinkers (not that drinking light beer is a bad thing.)
- Restricted to 5.0% ABV to keep it "sessionable."

I found this at a Cost Plus World Market and thought it was their attempt at a house brand. I see I was wrong.

A: Surprisingly acceptable. My first thought is that it is colored to give it this appearance. Dark orange or possibly light brown. Pours a two finger head that drops to about one finger and retains a full cap and rocky, bubbly foam. Leaves strong lacing.

S: Strong caramel. Bitterness with no real hop distinction. Maybe some grapefruit. Maybe some pine. Hints of oak. Alcohol seems strong for 5.0%. Actually stings my nostrils a little bit. Smells like a super sub-premium beer (Beer 30, Big Flats, Game Day) with hop bitterness added to the mix.

T: Sweet tea, more sweet tea, caramel, mint, and tobacco. Bitterness kicks in about half way through and gets stronger. Finishes bitter with a bitterness that coats my tongue and lasts 30 seconds after swallowing. When the bitterness subsides I taste mint tea. Shouldn't there be some hop flavor in an IPA?

M: Medium carbonation that does a good job of stinging my tongue. Watery. Extremely tea like (drying.) Easy to consume.

O: This would be more acceptable if the brewer wasn't trying to convince drinkers it is a craft brew. The website is massive propaganda aimed at transitional beer drinkers willing to crossover from macro to craft. I will say that this is unique. I've never had a super sub-premium beer that attempted any style other than AAL or light lager.

For amusement check out Tailgate's website.

2.84/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

The Tailgate IPA is ok...nothing fantastic about it. The beer poured a hazy copper with thin white head that is leaving a spotty lace. The scent carried a subtle lemony pine. The taste was a fairly evenly balanced beer nothing over whelming. The mouthfeel was lighter in body with ok carbonation. Overall this beer is ok...compared to others in its class it probably doesn't deserve a passing grade.

2.58/5  rDev +4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

355ml can. San Diego?!! Say it ain't so!

This beer pours a clear medium golden amber hue, with two fat fingers of puffy, thinly caked off-white head, which leaves some decent snow rime lace around the glass as it lazily recedes.

It smells of musty earthy, sort dead leafy hops, a rising Halls citrus mentho-lyptus, grainy pale malt, and a wee twinge of black pepper. The taste is mild orange and pine resin hops soaked and denuded of their bitterness potential, semi-sweet caramel-tinged pale malt, a 'soft' rubbing alcohol astringency, and a further hard water deposit scum essence.

The bubbles are fairly active and frothy, the body medium-light in weight, and rather pithy in its attempt at smoothness. It finishes on a drying trend, sure, but one as equally boozy and hot as it is hoppy.

What you get when you cross a session IPA like Bottle Rocket with Minhas' brewing ethos, so no surprises here - each side draws the other in - but remember what happens when you add a negative to a positive?

2.88/5  rDev +16.1%

6 pack from Grocery Outlet,Salem $4.99 All i can say this is not an IPA but its an enjoyable hoppy macro lager type thing from the can. Good for tailgating ,fishing and camping. I enjoyed OK. But if you want to start someone on an IPA not a good one.
I drank straight out of the can( of course).

2.56/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

12oz can with no date. $6 for a 6-pack. drank mostly out of the can

look is great when poured, typical ipa color, cloudy, retention/lacing ok i guess...? smell is muddled and sweet, very odd and adjunct-y. taste is better, but still sweet and with an odd malt liquor flavor. feel is OK

bad IPA, and just not a good beer

2.29/5  rDev -7.7%

'The official beer of tailgating' as stated on the CAN. My CAN says this is brewed in Wisconsin, so take that for what it's worth. 12oz into a glass.

Tailgating beer certainly looks the part of an IPA, a nice mix of burnt orange and some light bronze shade within. A good inch of firm foam pops up and becomes a cap of off white bubbles with good retention. Smell is very pale malt forward and has just a hint of hop scent, dare I call this a lager. Very caramel forward and not in a good way. Taste reminds me of a decent lager with a fuller body. The body is a step below medium and has some spritzy carb down the gullet. No bitterness to speak of, this just made it onto shelves, so I guess it's fresh. Judging from the scent, I don't think this was ever in IPA territory to begin with. A terrible finish, makes me cringe, traces of metal, not a good look.

3.47/5  rDev +39.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Transcribed from notes dtd Sa, 01 Dec 2012 (yesterday):

It was a banner day for The CANQuest (TM) as I visited Percy Street Barbecue on South Street in Philly! They claim to have the largest selection of craft CANs in the country and I would find that hard to dispute, especially given that I found three new ones myself.

From the CAN: "Award Winning Craft Brew!"; "Session-Style India Pale Ale"; "The Cuban Missile Crisis, the Space Race, Baseball's Homerun Race of '98. Let's face it. Americans are no stranger to an arms race. Enter, craft beer, Breweries everywhere are are dumping hops in by the pound, abandoning moderation, leaving dedicated hophead tailgaters with few options for responsible drinking, We bring you the session-style India Pale Ale. Session-Style means moderate alcohol content. This is your chance to enjoy a full flavor, aggressively hopped IPA - without melting your face off. Handcrafted with Cascade and Magnum hops, this IPA is influenced by IPA City, USA (San Diego) and perfected for tailgaters around the world. rab this bouquet of liquid hopped glory and enjoy full flavored drinking, not sipping."; "The Official Beer of Tailgating (TM)".

Once more, the Crack and even the Glug were out of my hands! This is why I prefer to review my CANQuest (TM) beers at home. We were faced with a finger of tawny head with decent retention. Color was a slightly hazy amber. Nose was softly hoppy, kind of like taking fresh hops in my hands, rubbing them together and inhaling. Very flowery, kind of grassy, definitely a mellow scent. Mouthfeel was medium and the taste was a mellow hop flavor, along the lines of an English IPA. That is not to suggest that it was terribly malty, either, just that it had a more muted hops profile than usual for this hophead. Finish was like my humor: dry and bitter. Let's go tailgating!

2.44/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Fatty Tallboy (24oz) with a standard pint
11/16/12

A: Tailgate IPA pours a light coppery straw gold with great clarity. Streaming bubbles produce a big rocky crème foam that stays for a good length of time leaving behind thick chunky webs of cling.

S: Smells of old crusty bread and stale hops. Grainy pale malts are at the forefront which is not what I was expecting from an “aggressively hopped” IPA. Hardly any aroma hops here. What is present is a light floral mix of pine and dried citrus accompanied with an old vegetal quality.

T: Tastes of faint pine and orange citrus with a grainy bread malt profile. A bit grassy and vegetal. Malts seem German in style like a Kolsch or possibly even adjuncts are used here as some Lagers and Cream Ales do. Hops are stale and muted with a lower level of perceived bitterness. Real bready with some floral spice to it. No alcohol detectable. Has an odd twist of some vanilla and clovey phenols towards the end. This is not great by any means.

M: Feel is light and watery at times. There is no hoppy resinous linger and the finish has some crisp carbonation but remains somewhat wet.

D: Pedestrian Pale Ale. This comes off as a glorified BMC product and I could see it appealing to those fans. Really is almost Adjunct Lager like. I would say only slightly better. Definitely drinkable with a 5% ABV but I guessI was expecting something a bit tastier from a package that touts Hoppiness. Should have set the expectation bar lower given the cheap price on this one. My scores seem generous here.

2.2/5  rDev -11.3%

Saw this in the liquor store for less than 2 dollars for a 24 ounce can. These days thats a really good price for an IPA! Lets hope its worth it!

Pours a clear golden orange, with a creamy white head. Smells decent, with some candied fruits, and a hint of pine. Taste begins with a nasty amplified macro lager sickly sweetness. The last time I remember this flavor was when I drank a horrible can of steel reserve. Then some dirty metal coin suck flavor, then a bit of lawn mowed grass flavor, and finally some sort of wierd bitter chemical flavor. The aftertaste isnt too bad though, mostly some pine.

Mouthfeel is good for the gravity. Overall this is one bad IPA. I should have known better for the price what I was getting in to. I will say i'd take this over a light lager, but just barely. It's easy to homebrew a better IPA or Pale Ale than this, I can't believe a commercial brewery could brew an IPA so poorly. Even for the cheap price it's not worth it, as you can usually get a more inexpensive craft for only 10-20% more money.

1.6/5  rDev -35.5%

A-Pours a hazy scorched orange. Huge, voluminous head. Bubbles rise frm the base of the beer to feed the foamy afro. Thick, sporadic lacing blotches.

S-Grimace inducing. Sweet and soapy. Honey and...soap. Oh yeah! There is also an abundance of...honey and soap.

T-Holy horseshit Batman! This is one of the worst beers I have ever slurped! Venom! Metal and sickening sweetness with a hint of remedial hops. Like sucking on a penny covered in that frightening green rust. The fact that I bought a six-pack of this makes me want to assault someone. Asswater.

M-I hate you Tailgate. Sticky and clingy.

O/D-In contention for the title of the prestigous "Worst of the Worst" award. Absolutely insulting. Quite easily the worst beer I have had yet. At least the plethora of bad Macro brews aren't pretending to be craft beers. In terms of this beer: IPA = Imbibing Pungent Asswater.

2.15/5  rDev -13.3%

24-oz. can into a pint glass at my house on Oct. 13, 2012 (purchased at Village Square Liquor & Kegs in San Diego for $1.99 on Oct. 13, 2012). Honey amber with two fingers of white head. Average retention on the sides and on the top.

Smelled honey, caramel, heavy malts, syrup and light citrus (nectarine) hops.

Tasted honey, syrup and malts up front, giving way to a nasty finish of sharp alcohol, slight citrus (orangeish/tangerine) hops and bitter finish.

Medium-to-light body. Thin texture. Average carbonation. Bitter syrupy finish.

Just a bad beer all-around, save for the cheap price. I would never have this again on purpose. I feel sorry for someone who tries this beer as their first IPA.

2.4/5  rDev -3.2%

Big foam in the tall Peroni glass. Yellow amber in color. Average beery sort of smell.

The first sip is a surprise, as it tastes a whole lot like Mickey's Malt Liquor or something in that vein. How do they get such a sweet taste? I suppose it's corn, and plenty of it. Anyone expecting hoppy flavor or aroma will be mystified. But just as you are squinting at the fine print on the label, there is a wave of a rather nasty aspirin-like bitterness, very subtle but unmistakeable.

"Handcrafted with Cascade and Magnum hops, " says the label. As you can see from the illustration, there are three hop cones in Hot Wheels truck, and I truly believe they used all three of them in this batch. Plus the aspirin, of course.

Contract brewed by Minhas Craft Brewery, which is why it says Monroe, Wisconsin on the can. From the can purchased at Baron's Market on W. Point Loma Blvd. $1.99 for the princely 24-oz can. Maybe this will provide some nutrients for the house plants.

1.58/5  rDev -36.3%

Ordered a glass of this thinking that it would be decent since it's a California IPA. Upon getting the glass I was taken by surprise by the lack of everything this beer didn't have. The color is a mussy looking gold color with the thinnest white head on top I've ever seen. The retention and lacing are non-existent. The smell of the beer doesn't give off much hop aroma at all... I'm confused as to how this is an IPA. The taste is malty, but not hoppy at all. It tasted muddy and far too earthy. The mouthfeel was bland, nothing to make it pop at all, little carbonation, no bitterness in the finish. Overall this was a major disappointment. I've had "sessionable" IPA's before and they are nice to have, this beer was not. I hate giving bad reviews but this one was probably one of the worst beers I've had in a while. This actually gives me very little interest to try anymore of the Tailgate offerings.

2.08/5  rDev -16.1%

Can poured into a pint glass. Clear and golden in color, metzah.

Smells like the Hefeweizen.

Tastes like the Hefeweizen.

Wow, no bitterness and no hops.

This 'sesssionable' IPA offfers just a slight hint of bitterness but mostly a critric close. So I guess there is a bit of hops in there.

to view more.