IPA - Tailgate Beer

IPAIPA

poor

Tailgate Beer visit their website

(Beer added by: HalfFull on 06-08-2012)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »

3.25/5  rDev +32.7%

Gemini6, Aug 20, 2014

malfunxion, Aug 19, 2014
1.89/5  rDev -22.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 1.75

I picked up a can of Tailgate Beer's IPA last week for $1.45 at Boyne Country Provisions. I needed one more beer for my mixed six pack and sine I've never head of this brewery I thought I would give them a chance, so lets see how it goes. No visible canning date. Poured from a 12oz can into a imperial pint glass.

A- The can looks ok, but it's slightly cheesy looking and I don't think it's too eye catching. It poured a very hazy darker golden color that took on more of a golden amber color when held to the light with a about a fingers worth of slightly off white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some rings of patchy lacing behind. This was a nice looking IPA, but i wish it had a little more head.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of sweetness has that has a weird rock candy like aroma and it's followed by the malts being the first to show up and they impart a slightly grainy, stale malt, caramel malt and higher amount of sweet malt like aromas. Up next comes an apple cider like aroma. This beer didn't have a good aroma, there were no hops and the stale and sweet malts seem to dominate it.

T- The taste seems to be very similar to the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of sweetness that still has that weird rock candy like flavor to it and it's followed by the malts which impart the same crappy aspects that they did in the aroma with sweet and stale malts seeming to stick out the most along with a good amount of caramel malts in the back ground. Up next comes the weird apple juice flavors that sticks out just a little more than it did in the aroma. On the finish there's no hops and just a very light amount of bitterness that's hardly noticeable with some more sweetness and it had a stale malt, sweet malt and apple juice like aftertaste. This wasn't a good tasting IPA at all, there were no hops and the malt base was a mess.

M- A little smooth, not clean, a little cloying, a little sticky, medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel wasn't that great, a IPA shouldn't be sticky like this.

Overall I thought this beer sucked and I thought it was a bad example of the style, it was just bad all around, there were no hops to speak of and the malt base was just one big mess, it didn't make for an enjoyable beer. This beer didn't have good drinkability, it was a little smooth, not clean, a little cloying, a little sticky, a little filling, and the taste did not do a good job of holding my attention, half the can is enough for me and I don't think I would want to suffer through drinking a full one. What I like the most about this beer was the appearance, it was the only aspect that wasn't bad and it was the only aspect that was true to style. What I liked the least about this beer was the aroma and taste, they were both bad all around and there was no bright side to any of it. I wouldn't buy this beer again and I would for sure turn this down and I would tell people to steer clear of it since it's just a bad beer all around. All in all I absolutely disliked this beer, I don't like to hate anything, but this might be it. I don't know how a brewer can make a beer like this and have no problem releasing it to the public as an IPA, it shouldn't be released as any style, it just bad, end of story. This beer made for a bad first impression of TaIlgate Beer and I don't think I'll be trying more of their beers anytime soon. I'm pretty sure this is the worst IPA I've ever had. This one needs some major work guys, in fact you might wanna throw away this recipe and go back to the drawing board, better luck next time.

StoutHunter, Jul 18, 2014

Chucker17, Jul 09, 2014

GClarkage, Jul 08, 2014

atone315, Jun 06, 2014

tbone64, Jun 03, 2014
3.5/5  rDev +42.9%

HoneyLamb, Mar 01, 2014
1.08/5  rDev -55.9%

I bought this at grocery outlet because it was $5 a six pack and it looked like it could be a decent craft brew. I thought, how bad could it be? Well.... it was one of the 2 worst beers I have had in my life. There have only been 2 I couldn't finish more than a sip of and this was one. Under no circumstances would I ever consider this an IPA. I can't even explain how strange the taste was. It was like a mix of honey and dirty feet. I then tried to give the rest away to a bum and even he wouldn't drink it.

grizzlyocean, Feb 25, 2014
2.21/5  rDev -9.8%

Tailgate Beer - The Official Craft Beer of Tailgating!

Tailgate is "craft" beer that is:
- Contract brewed by Minhas in Monroe, Wisconsin.
- Marketed to light beer drinkers (not that drinking light beer is a bad thing.)
- Restricted to 5.0% ABV to keep it "sessionable."

I found this at a Cost Plus World Market and thought it was their attempt at a house brand. I see I was wrong.

A: Surprisingly acceptable. My first thought is that it is colored to give it this appearance. Dark orange or possibly light brown. Pours a two finger head that drops to about one finger and retains a full cap and rocky, bubbly foam. Leaves strong lacing.

S: Strong caramel. Bitterness with no real hop distinction. Maybe some grapefruit. Maybe some pine. Hints of oak. Alcohol seems strong for 5.0%. Actually stings my nostrils a little bit. Smells like a super sub-premium beer (Beer 30, Big Flats, Game Day) with hop bitterness added to the mix.

T: Sweet tea, more sweet tea, caramel, mint, and tobacco. Bitterness kicks in about half way through and gets stronger. Finishes bitter with a bitterness that coats my tongue and lasts 30 seconds after swallowing. When the bitterness subsides I taste mint tea. Shouldn't there be some hop flavor in an IPA?

M: Medium carbonation that does a good job of stinging my tongue. Watery. Extremely tea like (drying.) Easy to consume.

O: This would be more acceptable if the brewer wasn't trying to convince drinkers it is a craft brew. The website is massive propaganda aimed at transitional beer drinkers willing to crossover from macro to craft. I will say that this is unique. I've never had a super sub-premium beer that attempted any style other than AAL or light lager.

For amusement check out Tailgate's website.

troobie, Jan 18, 2014

MSL94, Jan 17, 2014
2.83/5  rDev +15.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

The Tailgate IPA is ok...nothing fantastic about it. The beer poured a hazy copper with thin white head that is leaving a spotty lace. The scent carried a subtle lemony pine. The taste was a fairly evenly balanced beer nothing over whelming. The mouthfeel was lighter in body with ok carbonation. Overall this beer is ok...compared to others in its class it probably doesn't deserve a passing grade.

WoodBrew, Dec 25, 2013

DrunkinYogi, Nov 27, 2013

SmellsofMahagony, Oct 25, 2013

Huntbuc, Sep 11, 2013
2.25/5  rDev -8.2%

marct, Aug 29, 2013
2.55/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

355ml can. San Diego?!! Say it ain't so!

This beer pours a clear medium golden amber hue, with two fat fingers of puffy, thinly caked off-white head, which leaves some decent snow rime lace around the glass as it lazily recedes.

It smells of musty earthy, sort dead leafy hops, a rising Halls citrus mentho-lyptus, grainy pale malt, and a wee twinge of black pepper. The taste is mild orange and pine resin hops soaked and denuded of their bitterness potential, semi-sweet caramel-tinged pale malt, a 'soft' rubbing alcohol astringency, and a further hard water deposit scum essence.

The bubbles are fairly active and frothy, the body medium-light in weight, and rather pithy in its attempt at smoothness. It finishes on a drying trend, sure, but one as equally boozy and hot as it is hoppy.

What you get when you cross a session IPA like Bottle Rocket with Minhas' brewing ethos, so no surprises here - each side draws the other in - but remember what happens when you add a negative to a positive?

biboergosum, Aug 07, 2013

dertyd, Aug 04, 2013
2.9/5  rDev +18.4%

6 pack from Grocery Outlet,Salem $4.99 All i can say this is not an IPA but its an enjoyable hoppy macro lager type thing from the can. Good for tailgating ,fishing and camping. I enjoyed OK. But if you want to start someone on an IPA not a good one.
I drank straight out of the can( of course).

Reidrover, Jul 13, 2013
2.56/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

12oz can with no date. $6 for a 6-pack. drank mostly out of the can

look is great when poured, typical ipa color, cloudy, retention/lacing ok i guess...? smell is muddled and sweet, very odd and adjunct-y. taste is better, but still sweet and with an odd malt liquor flavor. feel is OK

bad IPA, and just not a good beer

jimmah120, Jun 16, 2013