Coffman Coffee - Crown Valley Brewing & Distilling Co.

Coffman Coffee
No picture uploaded.
good

Crown Valley Brewing & Distilling Co. visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Porter |  6.30% ABV

(Beer added by: kemoarps on 11-24-2013)
Reviews by zeff80:
3.75/5  rDev +5%

zeff80, Jan 04, 2014

cmwilliq, Jan 23, 2014

Schlafly33, Feb 17, 2014
3.24/5  rDev -9.2%

Bought this bomber on a whim,

Pours scarlet, lightest porter I've ever seen, with 2 fingers of tan head. Crazy lacing & head retention

S: Coffee notes in abundance, mocha scents s well

T: Some roastyness, a bit of coffee & a touch of either lactic acid or infection, let's see shall we? Some mocha sweetness as this warms, faint sourness too as this warms. Finishes semi-dry with slight sourness, slight astringent notes & mocha sweetness

MF: Light bodied, light carbonation,

Not much of a porter or a coffee beer, a disappointment. Seemed more like a thin porter with coffee flavor added, yawn

russpowell, Feb 28, 2014

core42, Jan 12, 2014
4.5/5  rDev +26.1%

jharris0624, May 05, 2014

IpeeA, May 01, 2014
3.61/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The first thing I notice as I pour this is how light it is. Almost looks more like a brown with its almost-mahogany/dark red appearance. Creamy head sits around for a bit. Decent retention and lacing.

The nose is primarily acidic black coffee beans. I like this in a coffee porter, but it gets knocked down a notch or two because it's just too faint for my preference. There's some roasty malt behind it as well, and then almost kind of a corn sweetness that is a little disappointing.

The taste is the strongest point for this beer (as it should be?). It is primarily that same black coffee bean that the nose evoked. The roasty aroma turns into more of a burnt char on the tongue, and there's a little dose of sweetness somewhere near the finish line to balance it: the closest I can identify with the sweet is honey, though it's not really strong enough to explore too fully.

This beer has some very promising components, but somehow they don't seem to fully come together to their full potential. Both the aroma and flavour are somewhat muted, a little fainter and more muddied than I would prefer. The light appearance belies a medium body (I don't like thin porters, and I was worried that this would be one. Thank goodness I was wrong), but it's certainly not robust. The carbonation level is decent (another common pratfall, in my opinion is overcarbonation for these styles), not distracting or overpowering on its own but highlighting the acidic coffee. The mild sweetness puts forth a valiant effort in trying to bring balance to the acrid coffee, and almost coats your tongue on the finish (part of why it reminds me of honey), but the bitter coffee definitely dominates and lingers (as well it should). Not as grainy as I was worried, either. Like I said there is a lot to like in this beer. Some very solid components. It just doesn't all come together to its greatest potential, in my super official opinion.

kemoarps, Nov 24, 2013

AllHailBeercules, Nov 30, 2013

leroybrown10, Aug 14, 2014
3.69/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I poured a bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance- Cola brown color with two finger worth of tan colored head. Good head retention with a fair amount of lacing.

Smell- Light aromas of coffee and roasted malt.

Taste- Black coffee flavor that turns into a slight char flavor and finishes with a hint of sweetness.

Mouthfeel- Medium bodied with an average amount of carbonation.

Overall- A decent coffee porter. While it is not the best coffee porter that I've tried I would drink this again anytime.

scratch69, Feb 08, 2014
Coffman Coffee from Crown Valley Brewing & Distilling Co.