Barrel Aged Big Bison (Wine Barrels) - Crown Valley Brewing & Distilling Co.

Barrel Aged Big Bison (Wine Barrels)Barrel Aged Big Bison (Wine Barrels)

Crown Valley Brewing & Distilling Co. visit their website
Missouri, United States

Dubbel |  6.90% ABV

(Beer added by: LambicPentameter on 05-22-2014)
Reviews by LambicPentameter:
3.45/5  rDev -12%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Enjoyed out of a 22 oz brown bomber with no dating that I can find on the bottle. I've never had regular-old Big Bison, so I don't have much of a comparison to go by. I think this also may be the first wine barrel-aged dubbel that I've had the chance to try. Poured into a Boulevard Smokestack Series tulip glass.

Appearance - Pours a cloudy orange-brown hue with some slight hints of clay red where the shadows lurk within the glass. Atop the body rests a khaki head about a finger thick, with foam that is fluffy with small champagne-like bubbles. That said, they have considerable more retention than champagne bubbles, hanging around for several minutes and never completely fading away, leaving a healthy permafilm that's maybe a quarter to half finger thick. It only starts to disappear after I start drinking the beer. Lacing is sticky, but sparse.

Smell - Notes of brown sugar and some nuttiness is present, but the overwhelming aroma seems to originate from the wine barrels that this beer sat in, with characteristics of red table wine and pinot noir--I honestly think that I might be fooled into thinking this was a strange wine if I was blindfolded and it was put in front of me.

Taste - Here, the beer characteristics are a little more present than with the smell, with that brown sugar and some hazelnut coming through a bit more strong, as well as notes of baking spice that is sometimes common in dubbels from the yeast. However, the wine must elements are very strong again and ultimately overpower the base beer. At this point, they lend a slight tartness to it, almost like cheap fruit wine. As it warms, the tartness is less pronounced, leaving a decent dubbel with vinous elements.

Mouthfeel - Light bodied (for the style) and with moderate carbonation. Fruity, slightly sweet finish and a body that is a bit watery compared to my expectations.

Overall, an okay beer. It wasn't difficult to finish the whole bottle, but I certainly won't buy it again. It did, however, pique my curiosity for regular Big Bison, as I'm interested to see how the beer tastes without any time in barrels.

LambicPentameter, Jun 11, 2014
4.65/5  rDev +18.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Really liked this beer. To me, it tastes exactly like a Russian River Consecration where the sour has been removed. I'm not sure what type of wine barrels this was aged in, but a lot of cherry came through in the flavor. Its pretty smooth, good body, overall I'm very happy I was able to get a bottle.

Smokesnotes, Oct 10, 2014

3.5/5  rDev -10.7%

rspauldi, Sep 17, 2014

Stevereno, Nov 02, 2014

Johnny_Duck, Nov 14, 2014
Barrel Aged Big Bison (Wine Barrels) from Crown Valley Brewing & Distilling Co.