1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Imperial Pumpkin Smash - Crown Valley Brewing & Distilling Co.

Imperial Pumpkin SmashImperial Pumpkin Smash

Crown Valley Brewing & Distilling Co. visit their website
Missouri, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  10.60% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: Beer4Baltimore on 08-16-2013)
4.3/5  rDev +4.4%

Pours a deep mahogany with a billowing creamy light tannish colored head atop.Aromas vanilla and warm cinnamon,some light roast is there as well.Rich in the feel and pretty creamy wich I would like to see more pumpkin beers like.Rich and warming on the palate with vanilla and graham cracker notes to go along with chocolate mild roast,the spiced notes lend another flavor hand,wow this kicks ass!One of the best pumpkin beers I have had whether a "standard" pumpkin ale ore a stout,I think I like this more than Warlock and that's saying something for me.

oberon, Sep 14, 2014

A lot of people rate this beer highly, and I don't discount that. The only thing I can figure is I got hold of a bum batch....

I picked up a four pack of this with high hopes. I enjoy pumpkin brews, and Imperial Stout is perhaps my favorite style. After chilling a bottle (but not much), I poured it into a snifter. The color is a delightful, deep mahogany, almost black. The smell is full with spice and a touch of chocolate and respectable dose of pumpkin. It smells - and I mean this in a good way - like the Sir Walter Raleigh tobacco I remember my dad filling his pipe with when I was a kid.

But then I tasted it. There was nothing subtle here: overly sweet, harshly flavored, and a residue of artificial sweetener. I did my best, I really did. I thought, "Maybe it just needs to warm up more." That didn't help. "Maybe my palate just needs to adjust." It did not. In the end, it tasted like Sir Walter Raleigh, too, and I poured half of it down the drain.

Sometimes, though, I like a beer better on the second try. Perhaps I was having an off night. So, a few weeks later I gave it another shot. Same experience. Perhaps there are bottles floating around somewhere out there that are filled with delicious nectar, but I didn't happen upon them. This is awful.

cackalacky, Yesterday at 10:32 PM
4.2/5  rDev +1.9%

Who said that pumpkin ale has to mimic pumpkin pie? Certainly not the brewers of Crown Valley! Veering from the amber or pale supporting taste and opting for something stouter, the taste of roast, toast and cocoa also make a perfect companion for the spices and fruit that makes autumn so charming. And this stout proves it!

And pouring a dark and decadent as any stout would, its pitch black austere gives little insight to the spicy sweetness inside. But on graze of the nose and utter decadence ensues- smoldering just beneath the cinnamon, nutmeg and clove lies the aroma and initial taste of molasses and brown sugar that's laced with french-press coffee and dark chocolate.

With all that malty richness coating the palate, its deep and saturating sweetness highlights those robust and beautifully scorched sugars, bringing out a taste of brownie batter, bittersweet chocolate and candied praline. Walnut and spruce pull forth as the sweetness begins to fade and pave the way for that allspice medley to offer an arid and exotic taste that evokes memories of grandma's pumpkin pie... and mocha latte.

Yet as the spices grow in finish, their spicy bite is anticipated, but what's delivered instead is the unexpected hop influence of pine resin. As the hops offer their own sticky dryness to assist the pie spices, the beer achieves a semblance of balance that's great for those seeking a more beery experience. But I find it somewhat conflicting with the decadence of the pie and chocolate dialogue.

BEERchitect, Sep 11, 2014
1.75/5  rDev -57.5%

Ooof, this is a rough one, but I'm biased, I generally dislike pumpkin beers. Received in a beer of the month set.

A bit baffled by the high marks on this one. Great color and head, but the taste incredibly cloying. Strong taste of toasted coconut, toffee, with astringent alcohol on the back. Very bitter aftertaste that lasts. Someone else mentioned artificial sweetener and I have to second that. It's like the taste after drinking a diet soda. Could not finish a bottle, poured half down drain.

Do no drink with food, except maybe apple pie.

Rukasu, Yesterday at 11:48 PM
3.76/5  rDev -8.7%

jaswilson2, Yesterday at 03:35 AM
4.3/5  rDev +4.4%

Got it as a toss in durning a trade for some Prairie stuff. Shocked how good this was, especially since I don't think I've ever really enjoyed a pumpkin beer, and it actually outshined some of the beers I traded for. Quite possibly one of the most aromatic beers I've ever had, like sniffing a pumpkin pie. And the taste was spot on to the aforementioned pumpkin pie.

Gerberr, Sunday at 08:19 PM

jtalbot33, Saturday at 01:54 AM
4.36/5  rDev +5.8%

stevens3mo, Friday at 10:53 PM
3.94/5  rDev -4.4%

Pours a black color. One inch head of an off-tan color. Great retention and decent lacing. Smells of sweet malt, alcohol, strong spices, pumpkin, vanilla, and a hint of oatmeal. Fits the style of a Pumpkin Ale. Mouth feel is smooth and clean, with a low carbonation level. Tastes of sweet malt, pumpkin, strong spice, sugar, alcohol, and strong vanilla. Overall, a very strong body, good appearance, aroma, blend, and feel.

Tone, Friday at 02:45 PM

4.8/5  rDev +16.5%

sirhc3034, Sep 16, 2014
4.25/5  rDev +3.2%

Big_Dave, Sep 15, 2014
Imperial Pumpkin Smash from Crown Valley Brewing & Distilling Co.