Imperial Pumpkin Smash - Crown Valley Brewing & Distilling Co.

Imperial Pumpkin SmashImperial Pumpkin Smash

Crown Valley Brewing & Distilling Co. visit their website
Missouri, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  10.60% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: Beer4Baltimore on 08-16-2013)

A lot of people rate this beer highly, and I don't discount that. The only thing I can figure is I got hold of a bum batch....

I picked up a four pack of this with high hopes. I enjoy pumpkin brews, and Imperial Stout is perhaps my favorite style. After chilling a bottle (but not much), I poured it into a snifter. The color is a delightful, deep mahogany, almost black. The smell is full with spice and a touch of chocolate and respectable dose of pumpkin. It smells - and I mean this in a good way - like the Sir Walter Raleigh tobacco I remember my dad filling his pipe with when I was a kid.

But then I tasted it. There was nothing subtle here: overly sweet, harshly flavored, and a residue of artificial sweetener. I did my best, I really did. I thought, "Maybe it just needs to warm up more." That didn't help. "Maybe my palate just needs to adjust." It did not. In the end, it tasted like Sir Walter Raleigh, too, and I poured half of it down the drain.

Sometimes, though, I like a beer better on the second try. Perhaps I was having an off night. So, a few weeks later I gave it another shot. Same experience. Perhaps there are bottles floating around somewhere out there that are filled with delicious nectar, but I didn't happen upon them. This is awful.

cackalacky, Sep 22, 2014
1.75/5  rDev -57.4%

Ooof, this is a rough one, but I'm biased, I generally dislike pumpkin beers. Received in a beer of the month set.

A bit baffled by the high marks on this one. Great color and head, but the taste incredibly cloying. Strong taste of toasted coconut, toffee, with astringent alcohol on the back. Very bitter aftertaste that lasts. Someone else mentioned artificial sweetener and I have to second that. It's like the taste after drinking a diet soda. Could not finish a bottle, poured half down drain.

Do no drink with food, except maybe apple pie.

Rukasu, Sep 22, 2014

WhitmansNiece, Sep 20, 2014

Out of a 12 oz. bottle into a tulip.

A – Dark, root beer brown on pour with a healthy tan head that stuck around and left small rings in the glass.

S – Allspice, pumpkin, vanilla. Not overwhelming smell but very pleasant.

T – Hmm. Astringent and bitter. Do not taste the spice in this one. Not good. Bad bottle? Drain poured.

M – See taste. Tough one.

O – Not sure here. It looks and smells good but the taste is tough. Overwhelmingly bitter and has a funky astringent taste. I love all things pumpkin be it pie, cake, seeds, beer whatever. It is one of my absolutely favorite things and I tend to like any pumpkin beers (even ones others hate) but something is up here. Weird.

GallowsThief, Sep 02, 2014
2.2/5  rDev -46.5%

user785335, Sep 12, 2014
2.25/5  rDev -45.3%

garuda, Thursday at 08:28 PM
2.35/5  rDev -42.8%

Random bottle from World of Beer. Never heard of these guys but this sounded interesting. Pours black with a khaki to mocha head. Aroma of sweet pumpkins, some cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg spice, sweet cream and sugar. Flavor is cloying chocolate pumpkin spice with an artificial sweetener finish, and maybe a hint of roast. Thin, medium carb, blegh. This is pretty much undrinkable.

BMMillsy, Sep 13, 2014

Dave_Treat, Oct 11, 2013
3.25/5  rDev -20.9%

GaBengal, Oct 25, 2013
3.28/5  rDev -20.2%

Absolutely jet black in color. No chance of any light getting through this one. A wisp of white foam rests on top. Complex aroma of pumpkin, raisins, fig, and molasses. Sweet smelling for certain. Thick and sticky. Plums, raisins, and dates mixed with pumpkin in the taste. Like a lactose stout in terms of sweetness. Reminiscent of Red Dragon Stout, but with more alcohol, pumpkin and not as well executed. This is a bit too sweet, but is pretty unique.

Franziskaner, Sep 22, 2013

leroybrown10, Oct 19, 2013

Kevinpitts, Sep 19, 2014
3.6/5  rDev -12.4%

Evango, Aug 24, 2014
Imperial Pumpkin Smash from Crown Valley Brewing & Distilling Co.