Imperial Pumpkin Smash - Crown Valley Brewing & Distilling Co.

Imperial Pumpkin SmashImperial Pumpkin Smash

Crown Valley Brewing & Distilling Co. visit their website
Missouri, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  10.60% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: Beer4Baltimore on 08-16-2013)
3.84/5  rDev -7.2%

Dogstickfetch, Sep 26, 2014
4.5/5  rDev +8.7%

Sampled at Total Wine class where the brewery owner was present. According to the owner, Joe, the beer improves with age and is brewed with lactose making it a milk imperial pumpkin stout. Of the 13 beers sampled at the class I found this one the best.
Pours a deep black with tan head. Aroma of roasted malt, sweet figs vanilla and chocolate. Taste is dominated by sweet chocolate, pumpkin spices, coconut, vanilla and caramel. Hop finish is present but is balanced the the sweetness from the lactose and chocolate. I picked up two four packs and plan to cellar some for next year.

wattoclone, Sep 26, 2014
3.5/5  rDev -15.5%

ONEBEERGIRL, Sep 26, 2014
3.75/5  rDev -9.4%

A: Pours black with half a finger of light tan head that fades into a thin ring with little lacing.

S: Sweet chocolate and pumpkin pie spice aromas dominate--especially the latter. Smells like a pumpkin pie Yankee candle.

T: Sweet pumpkin pie flavors--more like pumpkin syrup than real pumpkin pie--dominate Roasted malts and sweet chocolate peek through as well with a finish that is oddly charred and bitter tasting. There is also a light alcohol burn.

M: Medium-thick body with lowish carbonation, this beer avoids being watery but could use a little creamier body or more carbonation to balance the sweetness.

O: This is a beer that I liked a lot initially but less and less as I progressed through the bottle and it warmed. It's a bit too sweet and the stout characteristics are hidden under a barrage of pumpkin syrup flavors and aromas. The finish is also bitter and has an odd aftertaste that just tastes fake. All of that said, it's still a solid beer and enjoyable.

n2185, Sep 26, 2014
2.25/5  rDev -45.7%

garuda, Sep 25, 2014
1.75/5  rDev -57.7%

Ooof, this is a rough one, but I'm biased, I generally dislike pumpkin beers. Received in a beer of the month set.

A bit baffled by the high marks on this one. Great color and head, but the taste incredibly cloying. Strong taste of toasted coconut, toffee, with astringent alcohol on the back. Very bitter aftertaste that lasts. Someone else mentioned artificial sweetener and I have to second that. It's like the taste after drinking a diet soda. Could not finish a bottle, poured half down drain.

Do no drink with food, except maybe apple pie.

Rukasu, Sep 22, 2014

A lot of people rate this beer highly, and I don't discount that. The only thing I can figure is I got hold of a bum batch....

I picked up a four pack of this with high hopes. I enjoy pumpkin brews, and Imperial Stout is perhaps my favorite style. After chilling a bottle (but not much), I poured it into a snifter. The color is a delightful, deep mahogany, almost black. The smell is full with spice and a touch of chocolate and respectable dose of pumpkin. It smells - and I mean this in a good way - like the Sir Walter Raleigh tobacco I remember my dad filling his pipe with when I was a kid.

But then I tasted it. There was nothing subtle here: overly sweet, harshly flavored, and a residue of artificial sweetener. I did my best, I really did. I thought, "Maybe it just needs to warm up more." That didn't help. "Maybe my palate just needs to adjust." It did not. In the end, it tasted like Sir Walter Raleigh, too, and I poured half of it down the drain.

Sometimes, though, I like a beer better on the second try. Perhaps I was having an off night. So, a few weeks later I gave it another shot. Same experience. Perhaps there are bottles floating around somewhere out there that are filled with delicious nectar, but I didn't happen upon them. This is awful.

cackalacky, Sep 22, 2014
3.76/5  rDev -9.2%

jaswilson2, Sep 22, 2014
4.5/5  rDev +8.7%

DuckDodgers, Sep 22, 2014
4.3/5  rDev +3.9%

Got it as a toss in durning a trade for some Prairie stuff. Shocked how good this was, especially since I don't think I've ever really enjoyed a pumpkin beer, and it actually outshined some of the beers I traded for. Quite possibly one of the most aromatic beers I've ever had, like sniffing a pumpkin pie. And the taste was spot on to the aforementioned pumpkin pie.

Gerberr, Sep 21, 2014

jtalbot33, Sep 20, 2014
4.36/5  rDev +5.3%

stevens3mo, Sep 19, 2014
3.94/5  rDev -4.8%

Pours a black color. One inch head of an off-tan color. Great retention and decent lacing. Smells of sweet malt, alcohol, strong spices, pumpkin, vanilla, and a hint of oatmeal. Fits the style of a Pumpkin Ale. Mouth feel is smooth and clean, with a low carbonation level. Tastes of sweet malt, pumpkin, strong spice, sugar, alcohol, and strong vanilla. Overall, a very strong body, good appearance, aroma, blend, and feel.

Tone, Sep 19, 2014

4.75/5  rDev +14.7%

mjc3151, Sep 18, 2014
4.68/5  rDev +13%

Jmc986, Sep 18, 2014
Imperial Pumpkin Smash from Crown Valley Brewing & Distilling Co.