Serrano Sidekick - Crown Valley Brewing & Distilling Co.

Serrano Sidekick
Picture being approved.

Crown Valley Brewing & Distilling Co. visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  6.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Punisher on 09-10-2013)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
Reviews by russpowell:
russpowell

Oklahoma

3.46/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Hope this is good, I have 22 ozs to drink...

Pours a semi-hazed amber with 3+ fingers of pearl colored head. Sort of clears up, great lacing & good head retention

S: Pineapple & cayenne pepper, mangoes as well, fades a bit over time

T: Pears, mangoes, faint smokey pepper up front, also a bit of marmalaide. Marmalaide & bit of mango chutney as this warms, plus smokey pepper heat as this warms. Finishes dry, with mango, peppery smokeyness & pears & slight heat

MF: Light/medium bodied with slight carbonation. Turns a touch gritty as this warms

This is okay, but not one I'd buy again, spiceyness is dialed in alright, but the base beer itself is somewhat lacking would've liked some more malt depth & hop profile

10-05-2013 04:04:00 | More by russpowell
Drknight

3.5/5  rDev +12.2%

07-13-2014 16:03:00 | More by Drknight
Tone

3.53/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a clear, copper color. 1/3 inch head of a white color. Great retention and good lacing. Smells of alcohol, hot peppers, hint of sweet malt, slight hops, and slight caramel malt. Fits the style of an American Pale Ale. Mouth feel is sharp and crisp, with an average carbonation level. Tastes of hot peppers, sweet malt, hops, slight yeast, and slight pale malt. Overall, good appearance, the hot pepper aroma and taste is subtle but well blended so that it greatly enhances the beer.

07-07-2014 17:55:44 | More by Tone

kemoarps

Washington

2.63/5  rDev -15.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Pours a nice looking opaque amber. Sudsy white head, dissipates leaving little colonies of carbonation on the top. Decent lacing.

The nose is incredibly weak. I get a really light sweetness initially, but it's quickly overtaken by a vegetal characteristic that is somewhere between the peppers and the hops. Faint cracker-y malt behind it as well. Just kind of lacking overall.

The flavour is thin and soapy. That's really the only way I can think to describe it. Eventually the soap flavour gives way and there's some fruity sweetness and a feeble hop kick that barely makes it five yards. On the finish, the pepper heat kicks in, so there's that. Somewhat thin, and overcarbonated to my taste, at least the heat covers that soapy taste that I'm having a hard time getting off my tongue. This is an immensely disappointing beer. If you're really into spicy chile beers and want to try it go for it, otherwise just skip ahead to a better track.

12-02-2013 03:51:41 | More by kemoarps
rangerred

Tennessee

2.06/5  rDev -34%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Poured into a pint glass out of a 22oz bottle.

Pours a clear amber with a one finger off-white head. Decent head retention and ok lacing.

The aroma is straight up hot sauce. Reminds me of that hot sauce in the clear bottle with all of the tiny peppers floating in it. I really don't pick up on much else as the smell is quite strong.

The taste is not any better. It is really like drinking a bottle of hot sauce. Any other nuances in there are buried by the sauce. Bitterness is light as is the mouthfeel.

No way I can choke this down and my drain gets to drink it. I don't mind some chili beers but there has to be a balance there. This is just awful.

12-01-2013 23:11:56 | More by rangerred
AllHailBeercules

3.25/5  rDev +4.2%

11-30-2013 03:07:05 | More by AllHailBeercules
AllForAugust

New Zealand (Aotearoa)

3.19/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

A: Roughly a standard head for an American Ale; big bubbles on bottom, and lil ones up top. The lace it leaves is a bit spotty. Let's put it this way, if this lace were on a stripper's thighs, I'd swear I was at a truck-stop strip club during the Monday midday team's group performance choreographed to T-Pain's 2006 classic "I'm 'n Luv (wit a Stripper)". The retention is still quite good, although it may not be able to be described as foamy, soapy, or milky. All that aside, the color is a little darker than most American Ales, but that's likely do to the peppers. To give an example, let's say all the American Ales live in the same suburb, and they're all really, really white kids. Serrano Sidekick is the girl who just got back from "summering" in Mexico.

S: An amateur would sniff this brew and tell you that it's your average ale. But, bear in mind, dear reader, I am maybe, possibly a little more than an amateur. I smell those fuckin peppers. Can't fool this mutha fucka . Their aromatic presence is dim, but I consider this to be a bonus, given the style. Most of the pepper spiced ales I've had have been overbearing, but this one is subtle. What I desire more of is malt and hop character. The smell is just... kinda bare. Also I feel like I'm getting a twang of dull fruit.

T: Right as the taste hits my tongue, I think to myself "I'll bet the NInja Turtles would drink this with their pizzas." But seriously, that's probably the best food pairing here. Up front I'm getting a slight fruitiness, with perhaps a smoked malt character. The pepper is only slightly noticeable upon first taste. As with the nose, the malt and hop presence is rather low. It'd be nice to find a hop with complementary characteristics to the pepper's flavor and heat, but I suppose we're not that far along with hop strain development yet. The heat comes from behind, not to put your uvula in a choke hold and make it beg for milk, but rather to pleasantly remind you the ale does have flavor. Overall, a moderately pleasant gastronomical experience.

M: Surprisingly light. Not too much carbonation. Not too much to say other than that. In my mouth, the beer feels good. The mouthfeel does not hinder the ale's drinkability.

O: Overall? You want me to rate this ale overall? Overall, it's ok. I've had worse, but I've had much better. Considering Stone's 11.11.11., brewed with the Anaheim Chili, this little fella has a ways to go. But then again, Stone is a brewing dynasty and this is a product of a winery in my hometown. OH WHAT?! THIS IS MY HOMETOWN BREWERY?! AIN'T NO BIAS HERE, BITCHES!

10-29-2013 21:35:50 | More by AllForAugust

2.25/5  rDev -27.9%

09-26-2013 00:15:27 | More by psdonnelly
Punisher

3.78/5  rDev +21.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Appearance- light in color 1.5 finger head

Smell- peppers are strong but not overpowering

Taste- spicyness is pretty mild in till a couple mins after you take the first sip. Definitely makes the lips and tounge tingle

Mouthful- mild but goes great with the flavor.

09-10-2013 03:21:22 | More by Punisher
Serrano Sidekick from Crown Valley Brewing & Distilling Co.