Five (#5) - Upright Brewing Company

Upright Brewing Company visit their website
Oregon, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: msubulldog25 on 05-07-2009

"Five is a farmhouse pale ale that was born after enjoying a few small production European brews that use a heavy hand of hops. Ours blends several Mt. Angel grown varieties to create a deep and complex flavor with an underlying earthiness. Pale fruit aromas created during the fermentation brighten the profile and bring the beer balance."

Malts: organic pale,organic caramel
Unmalted: rolled barley
Hops: willamette, liberty, perle
Also: xanthohumol (bottles only)
to view more.
Ratings: 297 | Reviews: 114
3.87/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Had this on 2015-05-02 in Portland, OR at the brewery on tap via a flight.

Way to much carbonation, head exploded out of every pour. Left sticky yeast chunks in my mouth the size of a marble.

look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Not sure if perhaps I got a bad bottle or a bad batch, but this beer was way over carbonated. Beer shot from the bottle on opening, so I let it settle for a while, then proceeded, but every pour resulted in a four inch head, even the last pour from the bottle. The taste was decent - root type bitter, which is unusual for a farmhouse style, and had a nice lingering earthy finish. I'll have to try this one again....in the meanwhile, I'd recommend the Four over the Five any day.

4.18/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Just a beautiful beer. It's a close call between this beer and the 7 as to which is my favorite of Upright's number series, but fortunately the two are very different. This beer is just perfectly balanced. The hops are present, but in no way dominate, slight bitterness and a very dry, refreshing finish. I feel like I can drink this all day.

4.5/5  rDev +16.9%

Bottle.
Appearance: Orange. Hazy. Thick, foamy head. Sticky lacing.
Smell: Orange. Candy sugar.
Taste: pear. Saison yeast (light). Light esters. Light pepper. Medium hop bitterness.
Mouthfeel: high carbonation. Medium body. Dry.
Overall: great saison. Balanced well. Mellow. Definitely would buy again.

4.27/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Foggy orange-amber body capped with an awesomely thick frothy head on top. The first thing I notice in the smell is the pale malt base, which is always a great sign for me when it comes to Saisons. Sugar cookies, a pale fruitiness of apples and fresh orange, straw, and light green herbs. The yeast is beautifully mellow, complimenting the other ingredients rather than taking charge. Pale malt comes through nicely in the flavor as well, revealing some honey and dough before transitioning to floral and straw notes. Spiced fruit, citrus rind, a crisp pear juice sweetness, and soapy floral hops. Soft, simple, and lovely. Crisp and moderately bitter resulting in high drinkability. What a delightful beer…no barrel, no funk, nothing to hide its flaws, just a well-crafted Saison that leans a little towards the hoppy side.

4.03/5  rDev +4.7%

Poured from 750mL bottle into a tulip.

Appearance: medium-gold hue with a light haze and a strong effervescence. Head poured four creamy fingers of pretty but inconvenient foam. Enticing!

Smell: a light funk with a malty sweetness and a really nice grassy character. It has a real vernal feel to it; I'm a fan.

Taste: mildly funky but with a nice sweetness and a little bit of a chalky taste. There's also a decent bitterness at the end. I rather like it; it's somewhere between a saison and a tripel -- good stuff!

Mouthfeel: surprisingly, not all of this beer's carbonation went into creating that mammoth head! There's still plenty left in the body to yield a delightfully creamy mouthfeel. Kudos!

Overall: I'm digging on this beer. I'll have no trouble quaffing the whole 750.

3.8/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Bottle I brought to share at the Revenge Of Instant Replay bottleshare held at Instant Replay in Canoga Park, CA.

Pours a murky orange with a foamy beige head that settles to a thick cap on top of the beer. Small streaks of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of malt, citrus fruit, licorice, tea, and floral aromas. Taste is much the same with grain, floral, and tea flavors on the finish. There is a mild amount of hop bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp and medium bodied mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty good beer that has some unique aromas and flavors that I am enjoying.

4.4/5  rDev +14.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

A - Nice golden color, cloudy, huge head, slowly melts away, leaving nice trails of glistening lace.

S - Amazing balance of hops and citrus, very fresh nose.

T - Hoppy at the start, fading into an amazing orange finish that sticks around, very good.

M - A carbonated bubbly drink, that keeps it's form throughout.

O - Overall this is an amazing beer, my favourite so far with this brewer, have to try them all now.

4.29/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

five is easily my favorite of the numbered series, not the most unique of them, simply a funky saison with a great hop profile. but it is so well made it takes the cake for me. hazy orange blonde in color with a tall inch of lasting white foam, nice presentation in a wine glass. the nose is very hop driven over the yeast, with C varietals such as citra and cascade bouncing around. orange melon and lemon cream in the flavor, especially the finish, but more herbal bitterness in smell. the yeast is great too, a lot like the other numbered beers, some fruity esters, peach and apricot, and a soapy feel that gives body where it may be lacking otherwise. it all comes together beautifully, i love the hops here, minimal bitterness but maxed out flavor, summery for sure, and just dripping quality. some upright has been hit or miss, but this is splendid, something i would drink daily if it were available. the best of the series.

3.75/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from the bottle a cloudy apricot color with three fingers of rocky off-white head.

Faint aroma of tangerine, melon, lemon zest. and stone fruits with a light maltiness.

The tasted matched the aroma. A bit washed out with tangerine, melon, lemon zest, stone fruits, and saltine cracker, and an earthy yeast note.

Medium bodied and dry with a fairly sharp carbonation.

A decent Saison from Upright. Though I wouldn't go out of my way to have again.

3.96/5  rDev +2.9%

750ml, 2013
HF stem

A: Very pretty bright light yellow orange. Big fluffy bright white head, sticking around a while. 3 fingers. Lacing. High carbonation.

S: Getting a good amount of hops in the nose. Some melon. Some pine. Some white grape. Strangely like IPA.

T: Getting that hop bitterness up front. Right in tip of tongue. Mild. I guess I'm getting those stone fruits. Hard for me to place. Finish is fairly dry. Not as barnyard and funky as I was expecting from a saison.

M: Medium bodied.

4.18/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This beer has a special place in my memory. Every time I drink this beer I have a great time, whether it's with a random co-worker, hanging out with my wife, or hearing hilarious stories from my brother-in-law.

The head on this bad boy resembles a sea of froth and clouds. The appearance of the beer is a beautiful amber with low carbonation.

I detect pear, orange, coriander, and hops in the nose. For a saison, this might be a bit too hop forward, but I tend to enjoy the combination here.

It is not as good as its counterpart, Four, but I have better memories with this beer.

3.86/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

750ml bottle. The script on the label refers to the romanticism of breweries supplying only their own local neighborhood. All fine and good, as I crack this offering many, many miles to the north of the Rose Quarter in central Portland, Oregon.

This beer pours a cloudy medium golden amber hue, with a teeming tower of puffy, chunky, and yet finely creamy marshmallow fluff head, which leaves a few random swaths of bloated cloud lace around the glass as it slowly melts away.

It smells of semi-sweet fruity hops - pear, apple, and some sort of foreign analogue of domestic oranges - grainy, somewhat wheaty malt, a softly edgy yeastiness, hints of clove and black pepper, and further floral, earthy hops. The taste is more drupe fruit front and foremost, with a extra twinge of Christmas orange, gritty, bready pale and wheat malts, rather ethereal, muddled mixed pepper and coriander spice, a subdued earthy yeastiness, and additional leafy, floral hops.

The carbonation is present, to be sure, but hardly noticeable at times, the body just on the lee side of medium weight, and generally quite smooth, free of any sort of typical outside interference. It finishes off-dry, the stone fruit still active and engaged, while the yeast and hops seem a little too preoccupied with leaving work early for the long weekend rush.

A decent enough saison, what with the fruity guest stars, but the overall effect seems a wee bit lacking, if we're to compare this to the more stripped down 'Four'. Still good, don't get me wrong, but I'm already wistful for my first brush with this brewery, where they had me, not quite at hello, but certainly soon thereafter.

3.34/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Tasted 13 May 2013, reviewed from notes.

Pours a cloudy medium orange. Eruptive head, flowing up so quickly I had to stop my pour to let it settle. Lasts so long I want it to hurry up so I can drink! Boatloads of lacing and a thick cap. Wow.

Smell is kind of a gentle pungent fruit, like a barrel full of over-ripe apples. A bit weird for a saison, though some musty notes and a hint of spice remind me there's saison yeast in there somewhere.

Taste is, hmm, bland. Very vegetably, like chewing on green plant stalks. Some grainy notes mix with the plants. A shade of bitter, a dash of spice, but mostly it's dull.

Mouthfeel is nice. Medium-bodied, a fizzy burst of carbonation. Vibrant and enjoyable.

In the lower-middle tier of saisons that I've had. Mostly, it's unremarkable, with little offensive or impressive about it. Middle of the road, but tilting towards boring.

3.44/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

ack! more a note for myself than anyone else. had tried Billy the Mountain in a growler, did not do well, but to be fair I tried another of Upright's offerings a few days ago . . . #5 was much better. flavor was the biggest issue i had with BtM, and i think #5 shows i had a questionable sample earlier. a brewery to check out in the future.

3.85/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Poured in to tulip.

A - Cloudy medium yellow/orange colour. Opaque. Half a finger of dirty white head.

S - Huge herbal aroma. Lemon, spice, peppery and some yeast esters.

T - Some tartness hits the tongue up front. Herbal and lemony hop profile with some peppery spice and breadiness.

M - Medium body with some chew. Moderate carbonation.

4.09/5  rDev +6.2%

Lovely color--cloudy and darker than most cloudy beers, like a slightly redder hefeweizen. Very hoppy but not "look how hoppy I can make this!" Nice restrained bitterness. A very competent effort, which is not meant to be damning with faint praise--in these days of beer trickery, I appreciate a good solid plain old beer.

4.3/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I first enjoyed this on-tap at the Pine Box in Seattle, and two days later, found myself in Portland, where I visited the brewery. I tried it again, and picked up a bottle to share with friends back home. My impressions all three times were similar.

A: Super foamy white head that seems to last forever. The beer is pale and cloudy, with a hint of sediment. It's quite beautiful.

S: This was described to me as a dry-hopped saison. That is almost precisely what it smells like. From the smell, I could not tell you the hop varieties, but it's intoxicating.

T: Tastes like its description. Classic saison, plus hops. Equally soft and spicy. Lovely.

M: As with a lot of saisons, the fine bubbles create a foaminess and full mouthfeel. Alcohol is completely masked.

O: MY first taste of this beer convinced me to visit the brewery. My second convinced me to buy a bottle for sharing. I guess that means I like it. This is a well-made beer. Delicious.

3.92/5  rDev +1.8%

Old review from notes.

Bottle from Libbey - I'm not big on saison/farmhouse but I'm trying to appreciate them more.

A: Pours orange with a huge head. Lots of lacing.

S: Fruity smelling with a bit of hops and spicy yeast. Very little malt character - less than I would have guessed from the color.

T: Slightly bitter and spicy - very nice smelling beer.

M: High carbonation and medium body. Very dry finish and a slight tongue tingle.

O: Very enjoyable - as I said in the beginning of my review, not a huge fan of the style but it's one I'm going to go back to again because it's a nice change of pace from either hoppy or roasty (my usual go-to beers).

Thanks again Matt.

3.93/5  rDev +2.1%

Bottle from Made in Oregon. Duvel tulip.

Foggy honey orange body. A generous off-white head that jiggles like Jello. Attempts to even top it off are thwarted, as it simply runs off the sides. Pretty, but half a point off for making me wait. :P

Smells of tangerine rind, floral, menthol, earthy yeast. -Edited to note that I do smell the pear others have mentioned, though only when taking in shallow, open breaths.

Crisp & chalky. The pale ale malts are throwing me off, but the mellow tartness & grassy yeast sort of put things back in place. Toasty sweetness & some sharp rind on the drying finish. Faintly metallic. Bitterness is right there, without being vulgar. Frothy. Bright & refreshing. Just lacks a bit for a saison.

Really easy. Enjoyed it, but it gets a lower overall score, because it seems like it would be more rewarding in 4-packs.

3.42/5  rDev -11.2%

Bottled: unk

Pours a light apricot with a central dome of fine off-white foam with a fine rim of the same. This doesn't smell particularly hoppy, but grassy with some hints of metal and little bits of clay. Flavor is nice and sharp, a good balanced bitterness with some spicy character, nice catered yeast and a wee bit of tartness (faint lemon concentrate). Medium on full bodied with tight carb and a slick finish. Nice beer, but I feel like it could be better (fresher?).

3.65/5  rDev -5.2%

Poured into a tulip.

4.0 A: Lightly hazed yellow orange color. I needed a few pours to get a full glass due to lots of head. Eventually settled on three fingers of white, frothy/pillowy head. Retention is pretty good and lots of lacing is left.

4.0 S: Big herbalness in the nose. Earthy and spicy hoppiness. Pear fruitiness dominates, while melon and apple are underneath. Overall clean with slightly bready malts and just a touch of crystal malt.

3.5 T: Again pear fruitiness is huge. Moderately herbal overall with spicy and earthy hops. There's a moderate bitterness, which doesn't work all that well in a saison, but it's okay I guess. Apple and melon next. Lightly bready with light hay and grass funk.

3.5 M: Lighter medium body. Carbonation level is fine, but it's a heavy, dead carbonation. I'd like it to be a bit spritzier. Still, good enough here too.

3.5 D: Tasty take on a saison. I like this one way more than Four. Can't wait to try Six.

This is a legit saison. And I say that with keeping in mind that so many American brewers are usually putting out "good enough" examples that don't really come close to the Belgian productions that we see. I'm getting a nice side kind of funky thing. The citrus is there. Mild spicy tone. Nice mix of characteristics. I believe this was meant to be an easy drinking saison, and it pulls it off quite well. I started off with this beer because it was the lowest rated out of the ones I had picked up. Which...makes me interested to see what four, six, and seven are like. Oh, the joys of life.

3.62/5  rDev -6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Upright #5 is a unique one. It's got that saison smell and taste, but a little extra hop and, for me, the biggest standout flavor was actually apple. Cider drinking friends may actually find this beer to be pretty good despite its comparatively strange flavor profile, but it isn't a beginner's beer by any means.

to view more.