Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Flora Rustica - Upright Brewing Company

Flora RusticaFlora Rustica

Upright Brewing Company visit their website
Oregon, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  5.10% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: msubulldog25 on 08-03-2009

"Flora Rustica - An old-style saison with a big floral nose. It's pale, drinkable, dry and bitter. Made with calendula flowers and homegrown spring yarrow."

Malts: organic pale, organic caramel
Hops: hallertauer mittelfrüh, liberty
Also: yarrow, calendula
Yeast: French saison
4.77/5  rDev +15.2%

A: Orange-apricot body with a massive white head. The body is a bit cloudy and the head is thick and fluffy with superb retention. Sheet like lacing down the glass from start to finish.

S: Rich floral/herbal notes up front. Fresh grass, tea like notes from the flowers, a bit of funk, and a nice green apple tartness in the back end. Truly impressive.

T: I'll be honest, the first sip was a disappointment. I think I spent so much time sniffing the beer my tastebuds weren't quite ready for what was to come. With each progressive sip layers of flavor emerged. Grass, earl grey tea, flowers, some spice, horse blanket, green apples, honey, lemon.

M: Smooth, light bodied. Perhaps a touch thin for the flavor profile. Good carbonation. Clean, refreshing finish. Nice low ABV saison.

D: This is a f'ing impressive beer. When it comes to floral saisons it manages to outclass the incredible Southampton Cuvee de Fleurs... I have a bottle of Four and Seven in the fridge... if they come anywhere near this I will have to consider moving to Portland.

4.76/5  rDev +15%

750ml to tulip glass. Hazy apricot body w/ huge, rocky white head. Head is sticky and slowly moves downward. Hefty cap of lace remains throughout the drink.

Fruity, rich, brown sugar aroma. Spicy, almost winter warmer like. Citrus hops. Orange vanilla.

Tart, dry, chewy body. So pleasant, drinkable, light. Simple hop presence, grassy, slightly bitter. Too easy to drink.

4.7/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This is an absolute phenomenal saison. The nose literally smells so floral you might as well have wild flowers stuck up your nose. The body and finish is ever so elegant with a total wild tea like after taste. YUM!

4.69/5  rDev +13.3%

Thanks to aasher(Al) for this rare tick. dude gave me this for absolutely nothing. Beeradvocate at it's finest. Poured into my favorite piece of glassware (fantome tulip).

The pour is hazed orange. Lots of froathy bone white resting gently atop. slushy, clingy lace. very inviting.

aroma is extremely floral, herbal, and complex. lavendar, eau de toilette, coriander, spicy breads, wet stone, and vanilla.

wow. The flavor does not follow the aroma. it hits your tongue with a wallop. Rustic, fruity yeasts, ginger and white pepper. Bright and clean. slides right down.

I have yet to have a beer from upright that didn't blow my mind. Didn't realize that this would blow me away. This was very impressive. I could drink this beer for the rest of life and be quite content.

4.63/5  rDev +11.8%

I love saisons, so trying this highly acclaimed and locally distributed west coast offering is a real treat that I have to thank my friend Eric for. I'd take beers like this over any RIS in an instant.

Pours a vibrant apricot with a huge white meringue of a head, which leaves huge deposits of lace on the glass. This thing is like stiff egg whites, and it just refuses to die. As beautiful as an Orval. Great aroma has a unique mix of floral and herbal notes mingling with black tea. Some lemon and a bit of dry funkiness too.

The taste is really neat. It has that great dry saison funk and pepperiness, but the addition on the calendula and yarrow kick things up a notch and add a wonderfully complex herbal and floral character. Lemon, horseblanket and tea round off one of the most impressive saisons I've had. The light mouthfeel and dry finish work perfectly with the flavour profile, and the lower ABV makes this a ridiculously sessionable beer.

Big thanks to my main man, ritzkiss, for sharing this gem. I love this style and try everyone I come across, and I'd instantly say this is in my top 5 saisons, and should be in the top 100 beers out there. Its beautiful, smells great, has a delightful complexity, and drinks ridiculously easy. I'm not sure what more you can ask of a beer.

4.53/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2012 batch. Time to update. After being disappointed with last year’s batch (there's a chance I simply got an off bottle), I was hesitant about giving this year a shot. Boy am I glad I did. Twice on-tap and three bottles later, I believe this one's a winner.

A: Brilliant gold, rocky impressive looking four finger head that hangs around for quite a while, and ridiculous lacing. Nothing could make this look better. 5/5

S: Complex herbal layers, citrus zest, and a classic ester profile I associate with fruitier Belgian farmhouse ales. Some slight white pepper goes a long way. 4/5

T: Bitterness is obviously from a source other than hops. It's a softer bitterness without the harsh bite that seems to come from alpha acids. Grapefruit pith dirty things up and keeps my interest. Rustic qualities with round grain profile. It's almost hard to describe due to its uniqueness among American saisons but it's extremely enjoyable. This just screams to be paired with dinner. Very food friendly. 4/5

M: Full and lush. Very silky texture that somehow finishes cleaner than expected. Although there's so much head suggesting carbonation it actually feels low-medium on the palate. Impressive perceived size for a beer hovering at 5% ABV. 4.5/5

O: The very best beer Upright has made this year. This is the third batch and the third yeast strain. I'm sure there has been some other tweaking along the way but this amalgamation is my favorite. Alex, don't change a thing next year. I'm likely getting some more bottles this year and will probably regret not buying a case once I'm out. An absolute must try if you have the chance. 4.5/5

2011 batch. 75cl bottle split between a couple Duvel tulips and shared with TulipSnifter. Bought at the brewery tasting room for $8.

A: Pale light amber in color with a big fluffy white head that recedes slowly leaving adequate lacing. Off to a great start. 4/5

S: Gone are the rich botanicals I remember from last year’s batch. A mild mannered typical herbal saison is what I get this year. Lightly floral character could just as easily be from the hops as from the flowers. 3/5

T: It's a saison. Actually comes off slightly sweet and uninspired. Simple ester's and herbal qualities makes this a better pairing for a charcuterie plate, but isn't something I'm drinking by itself when I want a provoking beer. 2.5/5

M: Slightly fuller than the ABV would hint at with moderate carbonation. This finishes just a little sticky. I'd prefer it was drier. 2/5

O: Last year’s batch seemed more interesting to me. It was more dynamic and a little tart. I'm not sure if there were other changes to the recipe, or if the yeast was the only thing that changed, but whatever happened I'm not on board. 2.5/5

4.52/5  rDev +9.2%

Huge thanks to a few generous BAs for getting bottles of this out to me. Served in a Mikasa tulip glass.

Pours a brilliant light orange-copper with a three-finger white head. Crystal clear. Good retention before falling into a thick collar with a thin cap. A bit of lacing on the sides of the glass.

The nose is quite intriguing. Everything blends together at first, revealing only that it is a saison. As it warms the first thing to come through is a bit of spice, mostly white pepper and a bit of coriander. Along with that is faint citrus, including a moderate amount of orange peel. Faint floral notes and a generic herbal quality are there as well. What must be the yarrow really rounds thing out.

The flavor is a bit different than the nose, but just as interesting and complex. The orange peel comes through with a bit of rind-induced bitterness. Herbal character is there throughout. Light coriander, though the pepper isn't quite as strong.

The mouthfeel really takes the beer to the next level. Light-medium in body with moderate carbonation. A very nice dryness to the finish. Not very bitter, but borderline puckering in the way it dries out my cheeks. Explosive and addictive, this is a fantastic beer.

4.5/5  rDev +8.7%

On tap at the Hop & Vine, handsomely presented in a big tulip. A hazy caramel/apricot body with a very thick cap of cream-colored head. Excellent retention and quite a bit of sticky lace.

Heckuva brew here, from the massive clove/tangy banana that first hits the nose to dry chalky/lemony finish. In between is a mishmash of sweet, tart, spicy, floral, and breadiness. Every degree it warms up seems to uncover another layer of complexity. Mouthfeel is smooth, creamy and coating, teasing you to take another sip (an easy sell).

Overall impression: Excellent beer from a brewery I'm glad I got to know a bit before leaving town.

4.49/5  rDev +8.5%

Wow. What a delectable, fine beer this is. This is the third Upright brew I've had; all have been Saisons, yet each has been distinct from the others except in their uncompromising excellence. If this standard is the norm for Upright Brewing, then they have a bright future indeed.

Appearance is clear amber-gold with a persistent bone-white head, nothing too special but certainly pleasing to the eye.

Where this beer really impresses is in the nose, an area in which all Upright brews I've sampled thus far excel absolutely. I can think of no other brewer that makes such heavenly-smelling ales. Imagine candied fruits, fresh-cut grass, hay, honey, and expensive perfume all in one fantastic whiff and you'll have the idea. If I didn't insist on drinking it, I would seriously consider spraying this stuff on myself.

Taste is unexpectedly dry especially after the nose, but this works well as it enables a better appreciation of this ale's many subtle complexities. Floral notes including rose are immediately noticable and indeed dominate the palete. Upright says that this is brewed with yarrow and calendula flowers, but since I haven't got a clue what those taste/smell like I can only offer that they must be nice because this beer is powerfully infused with blossomey goodness. I think that if I were a bee this would be my favorite beer.

Mouthfeel is light and spritzy, a good match with this brew's floral character, and the low 5.1% ABV and overall refreshing nature make this an exceedingly drinkable choice.

If I had to sum this up in a one-liner, it would be "Spring in a bottle." Outstanding.

4.49/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to sideshowe for sharing!

Pours a very hazy dark golden orange color with tangerine edges and a two finger white head that slowly settles into a lasting ring.  Spotty lacing left behind.

Very floral aroma with funky saison yeast, earthy hops and light fruit.  Musty straw, grass and flower petal along with some honey, farmhouse yeast, apricot apple and pear.

On the fuller end of medium bodied with delicate carbonation and an excellent balance of floral, citrus and farmhouse notes.  Floral with subtle peppery spice and dry farmhouse funk.  Grass and straw notes along with earthy hops and strong citrus. Orange peel and grapefruit juice with flowers, spice, bread and dry, funky yeast.  Really well balanced, refreshing and very easy to drink. I enjoyed this beer very much.

4.48/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A slightly hazy golden in color with 2 full fingers of head which dissipated slowly and left some seems amount of lacing behind.
Aroma is sweet and floral.. Honey, tea leaves, flowers for sure, white pepper, Belgian spicy yeast.
Flavor is mellow and honestly very floral.. Nowhere near as sweet as it smells.. Tasting flower petals, a slight banana mellowness.. But yeah flowers. Medium body with just enough fizz to keep it interesting.
This is probably one of the best tasting saisons I have ever had. My first thought upon smelling "oh great another saison that tastes like a tripel."..... Nope! This is mellow with a dry finish and very very floral.

4.47/5  rDev +8%

A: Pours a slightly hazy orange color with a small white head on top, rather foamy with decent head retention with thin lacing down the sides.

S: Extremely floral, probably the most floral/flower filled aroma I have come across. There is some nice spices mixed in, not spicy as in pepper, but more herbal. A bit of funk as well.

T: Wow, this beer has a lot going on. Nice saison funk upfront with some pepper mixed with a bit flower component from the yarrow and calendula. In the middle there is a bit of fruity sweetness with a bit of lemon and apricot.

M: Light to medium bodied with medium carbonation. The flavor really coats the entire mouth. It is rather creamy as well.

O: Very impressed with this beer, loved the flowery aspects to it. Has a nice level of complextiy between the flowers, spices, and fruit. Great mouthfeel, a winner.

4.47/5  rDev +8%

Appearance. Pours a nice rich gold with 3 fingers of thick, off-white head.

Smell. Fresh lemons, some nice floral perfume, a little bit of funky yeast, honey and grains.

Taste. Light and sweet toasted grains, some lightly bitter, herby and grassy hops, and a little of that floral perfume I smelled. Some lemon rind and maybe a little bit of peppery spices.

Mouthfeel. Medium body, medium carbonation.

Overall. Just a ton of flavour in a beer that still drinks easy and light. I'll be grabbing a few more of these if I still can! Wonder if that delicate floral taste will hold up long?

4.47/5  rDev +8%

Spicy, fruity aroma. really quite nice with a floral overtone.

Moderately cloudy golden colour with a massive, tight, white head. Great head retention.

Light malts with a nice peppery, spicy flavour up front. The floral notes are interesting. Good.

Medium-light body with high carbonation. Good and suitable for style.

A nice saison with a twist. Great beer and an interesting take on the style form an up and coming brewery.

4.42/5  rDev +6.8%

Poured from a 750 ml bottle into a tulip glass

Pours a hazy deep gold with amber hues capped with a two and a half finger pillowy bright white head. An amazing nose of farmhouse yeast, a floral bouquet, fresh grass, and coriander. Opens with floral notes, fresh green tea, grassy hops, joined by light citrus, musty yeast, and bread dough. Finishes dry with spice, white pepper, slightly bitter grassy hops and touch of orange rind. Light, slightly fizzy carbonation, heavier side of light bodied and extremely drinkable.

One of the most complex American brewed saisons I've had to date. This truly is an amazing beer and one of Upright's finest brews. Certainly a seasonal that anyone who enjoys saisons should seek out.

4.42/5  rDev +6.8%

Sampled the other day at the Grain and Gristle.

The beer pours a golden amber color with good head retention and considerable lacing. The nose is complex and intriguing in this beer, as I get ginger, light lavender, white pepper, light clove and some honey. There's also something of a sour component on the nose, something that was even more evident on the palate (lemon and quince come to mind). While the flavor profile generally replicated the nose, I was surprised (pleasantly) by the amount of bitterness I got on the finish. There is light sweet malt in this beer as well, but it's very nicely countered by the bitterness and sour component. I get an element of yeast and wheatiness as well, and I have to say I'm really quite impressed by the amount of flavor I'm getting from this 5% abv. beer. Mouthfeel is light and crisp, and the beer is well carbonnated. This beer would be an excellent accompaniment to a lot of different foods. Alcohol is perfectly integrated into the flavor profile in this beer, and drinkability is quite high.

Delicious stuff. Were I to try this blind, I'm not at all sure I would guess this is a domestic saison style beer.

4.39/5  rDev +6%

A: Straw-orange pour that billows to a fluffy three-finger head.

S: Sweet honey and flowers. For me, this saison wins here. Absolutely explosive and unlike any beer I've smelled.

T: Lime and hay and grass rounded out by herbs, by a light malt sweet. The finish is astringent.

M: Light with adequate carbonation.

O: Great refreshing saison that brings something new to the style. It feels inspired by the exuberance of spring.

4.38/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Officially review #900.

Thanks to cmadd for sharing this one.

A - Cloudy dark yellow in colour with some hints of orange. A small amount of white head formed on the pour and reduced to a few scattered bubbles.

S - Belgian yeast, flowers, fresh cut grass and lighter citrus aromas.

T - Belgian yeast, fresh cut grass, big floral notes and a moderate overall bitterness. Some cloves and citrus in the background.

M - Medium body. Light to moderate carbonation.

O - This was truly outstanding. One of the best saisons I have had.

4.38/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

750ml capped bottle I got from Vancouver, was really looking forward to cracking it after seeing the great reviews on here.

Pours a slightly murky apricot with whipped meringue head that never ends and leaves gobs of lacing down the glass.

Aroma is herbal and floral, just a hint of lemon and a spicy tea like quality. Not bold, subtle and demands attention.

This is a really unique and complex saison and all for the true to style low ABV. A light dry funk, lemon, a more subtle fruitiness that is perhaps apricot or peach, pepper, dry herbal tea finish, floral, a light zip and bite in the finish. Light, spunky mouthfeel with a pleasant, gripping dryness.

At the same time, everything a classic saison should be and superbly unique. Definitely enough to keep Upright on my personal radar.

4.35/5  rDev +5.1%

I picked up a bottle for $10. That's a lot more than I usually pay for a session-weight beer, but this was completely worth it. It reminds me of the best pale Belgians and saisons I've had - Duvel, De Ranke XX Bitter, and Saison Dupoint. It's light and dry on the palate, but bursting with earthy and tea-like spice flavors. No, I can't pick out the yarrow and calendula, but the rich floral and herbal character blend them with a robust yeast character to create a beer that the best breweries in Belgium would be proud to make. Find this beer if you can.

4.35/5  rDev +5.1%

On tap @ the Upright Brewing Company (Portland, OR) on 9/4/11. Served in a footed glass.

Pours a clear gold, with a ½ finger of bright-white head. This retains with a thin creamy richness that drenches the sides of the glass with thick sticky lacing. The aroma smells fresh and floral in the nose, with extra notes of herbs, lemon, spice, earth, and sweet backing grains. This has a delicious airiness in the nose but also has some flavorful power as well.

The taste is crisp and flavorful on the palate, with lots of zesty tart lemon, peppery spice, and herbal earth notes that all linger on the tongue. There appears to be a bit of a light grassy (or I could see even a flowery) bitterness to this that is balanced and supported by a light backbone of sweet and gently toasted malt. The lemon, earthy botanicals, and spice flavors really drive this. The mouthfeel is medium bodied, with a prickly creaminess that expands out in the mouth. Overall though, this is light and crisp enough on the palate to bounce those flavors around nicely and help this retain a certain amount of a refreshing feel to it. This is about perfect in relation to the flavors here.

I really liked this and it made me a believer about the great things that I’ve heard about their beers from here. This was just packed with a deep flavorful complexity, yet was still extremely approachable and even borderline thirst quenching at times. Between this and the samples that I had of their other Farmhouse Ales, I’d certainly say that these guys know what they are doing here.

4.35/5  rDev +5.1%

Appearance: Cloudy orange, with 2 and a half fingers of beautiful head that dissipates rather quickly. leaves little bits of lace along the side of the glass

Aroma: Some funk, with lots of floral and herbal notes to back it up.

Taste: I like this beer! Some tartness, cinnamon, lemon, and fruity yeast. What a great beer for the summer season.

Mouthfeel: Extremely crisp and leaves the mouth feeling dry. I’m grateful to have a 750ml bottle!

Drinkability: With it’s low ABV, I could easily down two bottles of this if I was outside and it was hot. Game on.

4.33/5  rDev +4.6%

Bottle poured into a Hill Farmstead stem.

Pour: Hazy orange with some nice glowing orange edges. Thick, foamy white head hangs around for a while, and leaves nice thick lacing. Beautiful saison.

Smell: Big yeasty breadyness up front, followed by clean white pepper. Some floral and vegetal aspects, like green pepper and cucumbers. A light lemon. Finishes with more yeast.

Taste: Follows the nose with some floral aspects. A light cucumber juice. Some white pepper and lemon bite. Lots of bready yeast through the entire body and finish.

Mouthfeel: Refreshing and juicy, like biting into a fresh cucumber. Some nice carb. Finishes quite dry.

Overall: Really nice, traditional saison. Nothing mind blowing, but done very, very well.

4.33/5  rDev +4.6%

Bottle shared by Thorpe429. Thanks Mike.

The beer is orange with a thick white head. Lasting retention and plenty of lacing sticks to the walls of the tulip glass. The aroma offers herbal, floral, and tea notes. Tea and honey flavors, with a pleasant yeast character. Light and easy to drink. Complex and well balanced. Honey sweetness is balanced by tea and herbal notes, slightly dry. Overall, very enjoyable. An outstanding saison.

4.33/5  rDev +4.6%

Surely this is one of the finest looking saisons I've had. A dense, thick, creamy head. Honey golden color. And speckled belgian lace all throughout the glass. What an interesting aroma! Very herbal / floral. Grassy, with hints of lemon. Like no saison I've ever smelled before. The flavor is complex, a mixture of tradition and inovation. Typical saison esters can be found with some hop charecter, but so to can huge earthy flavors like grass, hay, and herbs. Also pretty bitter from what I assume is the yarrow. Great dry saison, squeeky clean. All in all this is one unique beer and worthy of the high rating it has. I could drink a good deal of this.

Flora Rustica from Upright Brewing Company