Flora Rustica - Upright Brewing Company

Upright Brewing Company visit their website
Oregon, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  5.10% ABV

Availability: Summer

"Flora Rustica - An old-style saison with a big floral nose. It's pale, drinkable, dry and bitter. Made with calendula flowers and homegrown spring yarrow."

Malts: organic pale, organic caramel
Hops: hallertauer mittelfrüh, liberty
Also: yarrow, calendula
Yeast: French saison

(Beer added by: msubulldog25 on 08-03-2009)
« first ‹ prev | 76-100 | 101-125 | 126-150  | next › last »

bauermj, Nov 22, 2011

Bright orange in color with a tall off-white head. A nice floral note to it, maybe some fruit notes of apple and pear. Some grass and yeast, plenty of biscuit malts, maybe white pepper. A more bready flavor than I imagined. Doughy biscuits with lots of cracker. Still heavy on the apple, yeast, and white pepper. Medium bodied with medium to high carbonation.

womencantsail, Nov 21, 2011
4.05/5  rDev -0.5%

Bottle courtesy of Jason. Served in a Surly Darkness glass.

A - A finger of foam quickly settles to a thin cap, thicker collar, and no lacework. Hazy pale golden body.

S - Smells of aloe, eucalyptus, and a faint note of menthol cough drops. There's an odd lotion flavor that reminds me of the cardamom-rose cupcakes from Native Foods. Very floral, and quite unusual.

T - Taste is less floral, with some of the pale malt sweetness shining through. Not much bitterness or spice, which is nice for a beer made with herbs and flowers. There's a bit of citrus flavor too. Not as complex as the aroma, but I think it's easier to drink as a result. I appreciate the amount of flavor for the lower ABV.

M - Medium body with moderate carbonation that gives this some nice spritz and liveliness. Dry finish with some tannic character to it.

D - The initial aroma is a quite a shock, as it's so unique and unconventional. It took me a while to warm up to this but ultimately it was pretty enjoyable. I don't think I could drink this often, but I would enjoy having it again at some point.

MasterSki, Nov 19, 2011

ChrisPro, Nov 19, 2011
3.5/5  rDev -14%

whartontallboy, Nov 19, 2011

HuskyinPDX, Nov 15, 2011

ithinkimasofa, Nov 15, 2011
4.2/5  rDev +3.2%

Golden yellow, semi opaque. A huge fluffy white head just sticks itself to the glass.

Floral bomb nose. Like winds blowing off a meadow in the spring. Yeasty saison quality. Smells sweet too.

Slight vegetal (broccoli) flavor. Never had yarrow root so I'm guessing that's where it's coming from. Bright lemony malt. Flower aspect reminds me of dandelions. Saison esters, pepperiness. Crisp bone dry finish. Very interesting and rustic flavor profile in a saison.

BearsOnAcid, Oct 17, 2011
4.43/5  rDev +8.8%

Sampled the other day at the Grain and Gristle.

The beer pours a golden amber color with good head retention and considerable lacing. The nose is complex and intriguing in this beer, as I get ginger, light lavender, white pepper, light clove and some honey. There's also something of a sour component on the nose, something that was even more evident on the palate (lemon and quince come to mind). While the flavor profile generally replicated the nose, I was surprised (pleasantly) by the amount of bitterness I got on the finish. There is light sweet malt in this beer as well, but it's very nicely countered by the bitterness and sour component. I get an element of yeast and wheatiness as well, and I have to say I'm really quite impressed by the amount of flavor I'm getting from this 5% abv. beer. Mouthfeel is light and crisp, and the beer is well carbonnated. This beer would be an excellent accompaniment to a lot of different foods. Alcohol is perfectly integrated into the flavor profile in this beer, and drinkability is quite high.

Delicious stuff. Were I to try this blind, I'm not at all sure I would guess this is a domestic saison style beer.

John_M, Oct 03, 2011
4.38/5  rDev +7.6%

On tap @ the Upright Brewing Company (Portland, OR) on 9/4/11. Served in a footed glass.

Pours a clear gold, with a ½ finger of bright-white head. This retains with a thin creamy richness that drenches the sides of the glass with thick sticky lacing. The aroma smells fresh and floral in the nose, with extra notes of herbs, lemon, spice, earth, and sweet backing grains. This has a delicious airiness in the nose but also has some flavorful power as well.

The taste is crisp and flavorful on the palate, with lots of zesty tart lemon, peppery spice, and herbal earth notes that all linger on the tongue. There appears to be a bit of a light grassy (or I could see even a flowery) bitterness to this that is balanced and supported by a light backbone of sweet and gently toasted malt. The lemon, earthy botanicals, and spice flavors really drive this. The mouthfeel is medium bodied, with a prickly creaminess that expands out in the mouth. Overall though, this is light and crisp enough on the palate to bounce those flavors around nicely and help this retain a certain amount of a refreshing feel to it. This is about perfect in relation to the flavors here.

I really liked this and it made me a believer about the great things that I’ve heard about their beers from here. This was just packed with a deep flavorful complexity, yet was still extremely approachable and even borderline thirst quenching at times. Between this and the samples that I had of their other Farmhouse Ales, I’d certainly say that these guys know what they are doing here.

Kegatron, Sep 27, 2011
4.53/5  rDev +11.3%

Huge thanks to a few generous BAs for getting bottles of this out to me. Served in a Mikasa tulip glass.

Pours a brilliant light orange-copper with a three-finger white head. Crystal clear. Good retention before falling into a thick collar with a thin cap. A bit of lacing on the sides of the glass.

The nose is quite intriguing. Everything blends together at first, revealing only that it is a saison. As it warms the first thing to come through is a bit of spice, mostly white pepper and a bit of coriander. Along with that is faint citrus, including a moderate amount of orange peel. Faint floral notes and a generic herbal quality are there as well. What must be the yarrow really rounds thing out.

The flavor is a bit different than the nose, but just as interesting and complex. The orange peel comes through with a bit of rind-induced bitterness. Herbal character is there throughout. Light coriander, though the pepper isn't quite as strong.

The mouthfeel really takes the beer to the next level. Light-medium in body with moderate carbonation. A very nice dryness to the finish. Not very bitter, but borderline puckering in the way it dries out my cheeks. Explosive and addictive, this is a fantastic beer.

Thorpe429, Sep 22, 2011
4.38/5  rDev +7.6%

Appearance: Cloudy orange, with 2 and a half fingers of beautiful head that dissipates rather quickly. leaves little bits of lace along the side of the glass

Aroma: Some funk, with lots of floral and herbal notes to back it up.

Taste: I like this beer! Some tartness, cinnamon, lemon, and fruity yeast. What a great beer for the summer season.

Mouthfeel: Extremely crisp and leaves the mouth feeling dry. I’m grateful to have a 750ml bottle!

Drinkability: With it’s low ABV, I could easily down two bottles of this if I was outside and it was hot. Game on.

Shmeal, Aug 31, 2011
4.68/5  rDev +15%

Thanks to aasher(Al) for this rare tick. dude gave me this for absolutely nothing. Beeradvocate at it's finest. Poured into my favorite piece of glassware (fantome tulip).

The pour is hazed orange. Lots of froathy bone white resting gently atop. slushy, clingy lace. very inviting.

aroma is extremely floral, herbal, and complex. lavendar, eau de toilette, coriander, spicy breads, wet stone, and vanilla.

wow. The flavor does not follow the aroma. it hits your tongue with a wallop. Rustic, fruity yeasts, ginger and white pepper. Bright and clean. slides right down.

I have yet to have a beer from upright that didn't blow my mind. Didn't realize that this would blow me away. This was very impressive. I could drink this beer for the rest of life and be quite content.

backfat, Aug 25, 2011

750mL bottle poured into stemmed goblet.

Orange-amber, slightly darker than other farmhouse beers I've tried, thin white head that laces the glass well.

Strong floral aroma, with yeast, lemon, pepper.

Taste a bit funky and grassy, strong spice at back end and more citrus tones.

Mouthfeel, medium body, less carbonated than I was expecting.

Overall, solid, not my favorite farmhouse beer, but quite drinkable and enjoyable.

BurgerJones, Aug 02, 2011
4.25/5  rDev +4.4%

Big green unlabeled bottle gifted by Brewmaster Alex Ganum, enjoyed with neighborhood beer buddy over tasty jambalaya. poured into beaker glasses.

Billowing four-finger white rocky Duvel-esque head, a thing of beauty, slow dissipation with some lacing. Clear golden body, multiple streams of tiny bubbles, second pour got a bit murky due to yeast at bottom of bottle. Nose is floral, big botanical hit, some meyer lemon sweetness, and floral hops on back end. Taste mirrors nose, not too sweet, complex floral and botanicals, quite dry, small controlled bit of bitterness on back end. Mouthfeel is a bit on the light side of medium, good effervescence, a really dry mouthfeel, nice. At this ABV I don't think I'd have a problem polishing off a bottle by myself, but was glad to share this stelllar Upright offering. Can't say I've had a farmhouse/saison like this very unique. Highly recommended.

jdense, Jan 29, 2011
4.47/5  rDev +9.8%

Spicy, fruity aroma. really quite nice with a floral overtone.

Moderately cloudy golden colour with a massive, tight, white head. Great head retention.

Light malts with a nice peppery, spicy flavour up front. The floral notes are interesting. Good.

Medium-light body with high carbonation. Good and suitable for style.

A nice saison with a twist. Great beer and an interesting take on the style form an up and coming brewery.

dgilks, Aug 09, 2010
4.4/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

750ml capped bottle I got from Vancouver, was really looking forward to cracking it after seeing the great reviews on here.

Pours a slightly murky apricot with whipped meringue head that never ends and leaves gobs of lacing down the glass.

Aroma is herbal and floral, just a hint of lemon and a spicy tea like quality. Not bold, subtle and demands attention.

This is a really unique and complex saison and all for the true to style low ABV. A light dry funk, lemon, a more subtle fruitiness that is perhaps apricot or peach, pepper, dry herbal tea finish, floral, a light zip and bite in the finish. Light, spunky mouthfeel with a pleasant, gripping dryness.

At the same time, everything a classic saison should be and superbly unique. Definitely enough to keep Upright on my personal radar.

ritzkiss, May 25, 2010
4.63/5  rDev +13.8%

I love saisons, so trying this highly acclaimed and locally distributed west coast offering is a real treat that I have to thank my friend Eric for. I'd take beers like this over any RIS in an instant.

Pours a vibrant apricot with a huge white meringue of a head, which leaves huge deposits of lace on the glass. This thing is like stiff egg whites, and it just refuses to die. As beautiful as an Orval. Great aroma has a unique mix of floral and herbal notes mingling with black tea. Some lemon and a bit of dry funkiness too.

The taste is really neat. It has that great dry saison funk and pepperiness, but the addition on the calendula and yarrow kick things up a notch and add a wonderfully complex herbal and floral character. Lemon, horseblanket and tea round off one of the most impressive saisons I've had. The light mouthfeel and dry finish work perfectly with the flavour profile, and the lower ABV makes this a ridiculously sessionable beer.

Big thanks to my main man, ritzkiss, for sharing this gem. I love this style and try everyone I come across, and I'd instantly say this is in my top 5 saisons, and should be in the top 100 beers out there. Its beautiful, smells great, has a delightful complexity, and drinks ridiculously easy. I'm not sure what more you can ask of a beer.

bobsy, May 25, 2010
4.38/5  rDev +7.6%

I picked up a bottle for $10. That's a lot more than I usually pay for a session-weight beer, but this was completely worth it. It reminds me of the best pale Belgians and saisons I've had - Duvel, De Ranke XX Bitter, and Saison Dupoint. It's light and dry on the palate, but bursting with earthy and tea-like spice flavors. No, I can't pick out the yarrow and calendula, but the rich floral and herbal character blend them with a robust yeast character to create a beer that the best breweries in Belgium would be proud to make. Find this beer if you can.

tempest, May 04, 2010
4.78/5  rDev +17.4%

A: Orange-apricot body with a massive white head. The body is a bit cloudy and the head is thick and fluffy with superb retention. Sheet like lacing down the glass from start to finish.

S: Rich floral/herbal notes up front. Fresh grass, tea like notes from the flowers, a bit of funk, and a nice green apple tartness in the back end. Truly impressive.

T: I'll be honest, the first sip was a disappointment. I think I spent so much time sniffing the beer my tastebuds weren't quite ready for what was to come. With each progressive sip layers of flavor emerged. Grass, earl grey tea, flowers, some spice, horse blanket, green apples, honey, lemon.

M: Smooth, light bodied. Perhaps a touch thin for the flavor profile. Good carbonation. Clean, refreshing finish. Nice low ABV saison.

D: This is a f'ing impressive beer. When it comes to floral saisons it manages to outclass the incredible Southampton Cuvee de Fleurs... I have a bottle of Four and Seven in the fridge... if they come anywhere near this I will have to consider moving to Portland.

callmemickey, Apr 13, 2010
4.8/5  rDev +17.9%

750ml to tulip glass. Hazy apricot body w/ huge, rocky white head. Head is sticky and slowly moves downward. Hefty cap of lace remains throughout the drink.

Fruity, rich, brown sugar aroma. Spicy, almost winter warmer like. Citrus hops. Orange vanilla.

Tart, dry, chewy body. So pleasant, drinkable, light. Simple hop presence, grassy, slightly bitter. Too easy to drink.

clickpush, Feb 18, 2010
4.47/5  rDev +9.8%

Wow. What a delectable, fine beer this is. This is the third Upright brew I've had; all have been Saisons, yet each has been distinct from the others except in their uncompromising excellence. If this standard is the norm for Upright Brewing, then they have a bright future indeed.

Appearance is clear amber-gold with a persistent bone-white head, nothing too special but certainly pleasing to the eye.

Where this beer really impresses is in the nose, an area in which all Upright brews I've sampled thus far excel absolutely. I can think of no other brewer that makes such heavenly-smelling ales. Imagine candied fruits, fresh-cut grass, hay, honey, and expensive perfume all in one fantastic whiff and you'll have the idea. If I didn't insist on drinking it, I would seriously consider spraying this stuff on myself.

Taste is unexpectedly dry especially after the nose, but this works well as it enables a better appreciation of this ale's many subtle complexities. Floral notes including rose are immediately noticable and indeed dominate the palete. Upright says that this is brewed with yarrow and calendula flowers, but since I haven't got a clue what those taste/smell like I can only offer that they must be nice because this beer is powerfully infused with blossomey goodness. I think that if I were a bee this would be my favorite beer.

Mouthfeel is light and spritzy, a good match with this brew's floral character, and the low 5.1% ABV and overall refreshing nature make this an exceedingly drinkable choice.

If I had to sum this up in a one-liner, it would be "Spring in a bottle." Outstanding.

dfitch81, Jan 17, 2010
4.22/5  rDev +3.7%

Even the most careful pour produces a stupidly thick bone-white head (like, four fingers!). Should have expected this from a bottle-conditioned Belgian--from one of the U.S.'s most authentic Belgian-style breweries, no less--but wow, it takes forever to reduce to a drinkable level. Meanwhile, I gaze at a gorgeous lemon-yellow-sun color, holding within it a bazillion bubbles and exhibiting a beautiful haze. The head is now craggy and super-rocky...and a more reasonable two-fingers thick.

The aroma is a super-earthy, fruit-loaded one. Very clean mineral vibes wrap around dried citrus peel/zest, and kind of indicates a tart and super-dry flavor to come.

Yep, it is tart (lightly) and dry, but there's so much more to decipher. There's an incredibly flowery essence here (no surprise, as it's brewed with yarrow and calendula flowers), as well as a nutty element (the yeast?), which join up nicely with a mildly sweet graininess. Citrus comes in the form of lemon, with just a little shot of rind-like bitterness, especially in the finish. Green apple and herbal tea spring to mind too.

A gentle mouthfeel, with a dryness that works super-well with the abundant but delicate flavors.

Wow, this is super. Full of flavor without hammering you over the head with intensities (this is, instead, bursting with subtleties). Considering the craftsmanship and love this was obviously brewed with, and considering the depth of quality overall, Upright have thrown down the gauntlet to other U.S. brewers hoping to recreate Belgian magic. Thanks a ton of msubulldog25 for making this one happen!

Metalmonk, Jan 05, 2010
4.5/5  rDev +10.6%

On tap at the Hop & Vine, handsomely presented in a big tulip. A hazy caramel/apricot body with a very thick cap of cream-colored head. Excellent retention and quite a bit of sticky lace.

Heckuva brew here, from the massive clove/tangy banana that first hits the nose to dry chalky/lemony finish. In between is a mishmash of sweet, tart, spicy, floral, and breadiness. Every degree it warms up seems to uncover another layer of complexity. Mouthfeel is smooth, creamy and coating, teasing you to take another sip (an easy sell).

Overall impression: Excellent beer from a brewery I'm glad I got to know a bit before leaving town.

PDXHops, Sep 17, 2009
4.13/5  rDev +1.5%

A mid-afternoon stop at Green Dragon, prior to picking up the car from the repair shop; figured it good to have a pint before writing the check. $4.75 for the glass. More for the brake work and CV boots.

A: Modestly murky wheat-copper pour, deeper cloudiness at the core. Head is thin, not even a 1/2 finger of whitish cream, and not long-lived. Lace of loosely-knit soap suds.

S: Deep flowery/herbal/spiced aroma...a perfume of sweet/dirty melons, musty hay, tickle of tartness (green apples).

T: Rough grasses, black pepper, earthy spice/tea leaves, fruit rind, a trace buttery. Spices grow with some warming; so does an increasingly less-subtle tartness. Finishes dry, a hint of chalkiness.

M: My favorite aspect: long-lasting spices, mild coating gives a feel that's probably bigger than the alcohol heft should allow. Soft and creamy carbonation. Refreshing and uplifting.

D: Quite a treat, an extremely earthy and flowery saison, resplendent with the additions of yarrow and calendula. Not one I'd choose to drink all night but certainly worth seeking/enjoying if the chance presents itself.

msubulldog25, Sep 02, 2009