Four Play - Upright Brewing Company

Four PlayFour Play

Upright Brewing Company visit their website
Oregon, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  5.00% ABV

'Four' aged in La Bete Pinot Noir barrels with Oregon cherries.

Hops: hallertauer mittelfrüh
Malts: organic pale, wheat, organic munich
Unmalted: rolled wheat
Also: cherry puree
Yeasts and bacteria: French saison, brettanomyces clausennii, lactobacillus, delbrueckii

750ml bottles
First release - April 2010 [label shown]
Second release - March 2011

(Beer added by: DiabolikDUB on 08-17-2009)
Reviews by slaintemhor:
3.13/5  rDev -27%

I had this on tap in August of 2009 at Bailey's Taproom in Portland, Oregon. The colour was a very light amber with no head. The aroma was teeming with tangy citrus and notes of oak. On the palate there was a somewhat medicinal character which reminded me of phenols (like an Islay Scotch). Towards the back of my palate I picked up wine-like, tartaric flavours and then a quick finish.

3.25/5  rDev -24.2%

3.75/5  rDev -12.6%

3.56/5  rDev -17%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Got this one on tap at the brewery. No boobies for me.

The pour that I got left basically no head. What is there is very clear white and pearly. The appearance is striking for sure but I'm not necessarily crazy about it. It looks like rose champagne, or maybe even pink soda. The carbonation is also pretty high.

First impressions are that this is very crisp, thin bodied, and sparking. I'm getting almost no smell off of it. The flavor is just slightly sweet only at first, then turns very dry. It's fruity but with almost no finish at all. It just sort of evaporates. There is definitely strawberry in there but almost no malt or hops to me. I'm getting no real alcohol presence.

This is a novelty for sure. It's a bit hard for me to believe that it is a beer at all. It's certainly not bad but… well… I like beer, and I kind of want my beer to taste like beer, at least a little bit. I'll give this one big points for creativity and exploration but overall it's not my favorite from Upright. It does show that these folks are able to stretch the box a bit.

4.5/5  rDev +4.9%

4.4/5  rDev +2.6%

4.53/5  rDev +5.6%

Bottle shared by Grant – much obliged!

Pours a hazy brownish-copper color with a slightly off-white head that leaves decent lacing.

Smells of medium malts with large amounts of tart cherries and hints of lactic sourness. Also present are hints of light oak, tannins, and funk. A very complex nose.

Tastes similar to how it smells, though not quite as impressive. Mildly dry medium malts up front are joined quickly by tart cherry and berry flavors. Midway through smooth oak and funk come into play before they are smoothed by hints of lactose that carry through to a crisp ending. Mouthfeel is good, with active carbonation.

Overall I was a big fan of this beer; there’s a lot going on but the different components manage to retain their integrity. Very much worth a shot.

3.88/5  rDev -9.6%

Let's just get this out of the way immediately: this is the hottest bottle label ever. Thanks msubulldog25 for sending this my way! My third Upright beer.

Interesting look to this beer...kind of a pinkish/peachy hybrid color that wants to exhibit more redness but doesn't dare. Like it's blushing. Not a dark color, but opaque for sure. The head begins wispy, despite a strong pour, and thins to a crown with a quickness.

Strong cherry essence in the nose, lightly funky yeast (nearing Band-aid), some other fruits like grapefruit and raspberry flash by.

Good balance between the sour/tart elements of the pinor noir barrel aging, the tartness of the cherries, the sweetness of the cherries, and the pungency of the yeast. Pretty strong essence of green apple too. I like how vinous this is, delivering the cooling, refreshing traits of a good white wine. Pretty much a no-brainer as a gateway beer for fans of wine, especially whites.

Smooth feel, with just barely enough carbonation to give it some life. A bit sticky, the sour/tartness delivers a gripping pucker to the inside of the cheeks and rest of the mouth.

I like Four a lot, and Four Play is a sweeter, sourer, more playful version of that. Interesting that it has lots of parallels to Russian River's Supplication, although not as intense and inhumanly tart--and probably why I like this better.

4.13/5  rDev -3.7%

2010 version, served in a 750ml bottle. Poured into a Liefmans chalice. Body is a pretty light orange color, with a touch of light, creamy head that dissipates rather quickly. Tangy aroma of sour fruit, tart cherries, and a good deal of sourness from the lactic acid.
Palate is tart and tangy up front, with a nice hit of sour cherry before the swallow. Lactic sourness pervades throughout, with a mild, slightly biscuity sweetness that lingers on the finish.
Body is nice and effervescent, but not overly carbonated or bubbly, a great vehicle for the complex flavors involved here. While the fruit isn't quite as prevalent as it was when it was first released, this is still a very pleasant brew. A nice change of pace, and a great exhibition of the versatility of the Upright crew.

4.22/5  rDev -1.6%

Had this one during the 'We Want The Funk!' tasting that was graciously hosted by beermeX2! Big thanks goes out to beermeX2 for sharing this one with the group! 2011 Vintage! Served from bottle into a Mikkeller flute. Poured orange with a half finger white head that subsided to a minimal amount quickly. Maintained decent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, sour, tart, and wood. The flavor was of sweet malt, sour, tart, wood, dark fruit, and cherries. It had a light feel on the palate with high carbonation. Overall this brew was very good. I really loved how the flavor puckered your face up upon your first sip, but you got used to it by your third sip. The barrel and fruit treatment on this base beer completely changed this one. An excellent example of what a few tweeks can do for a beer.

4.13/5  rDev -3.7%

Current score based on most recent batch.

Thanks to black13 for muling a few of these for me while I was away in Hawaii. After my dissapointment with the 2010 batch I wanted to try this years batch to see if I could appreciate it more. 750ml bottle for $12 split into a pair of Duvel glasses and shared with TulipSnifter.

A: Drinking outside with lots of sunshine, this presents papaya pink orange with a lightly hued rose head that only builds up to a finger and a half and quickly recedes to a full cap. Minimal spotty lacing. 4.5/5

S: Lovely tart notes. The cherries show up well in this batch. Specifically sweet pie cherries. Pie spice (nutmeg) and vanilla integrate nicely as well. 4/5

T: Yep, there's the tartness. It's actually a little sweet as well. Notes of the stone fruit and a little cheese rind funk keep this interesting enough with no off flavors to get in the way of its thirst quenching ability. 4/5

M: Lightly viscous for such a low ABV beer. Carbonation is on the low side but I rarely dock points for low carbonation. Clean enough finish. 4/5

O: Much better then last years. I can't help but wonder if the bottle I opened last year was just a bad bottle. Very enjoyable this go around and a beer I would recommend. Upright solidifies itself in my mind as the best maker of wildly fermented beers in Portland. 4.5/5

2010 score - 2/5

I had my wife pick up a couple bottles of the st the anniversary party back in March. The bottle is a 750 mL bottle with a standard cap and a depiction of a topless woman reclining on the label. These cost $12 at the release and were only available at the brewery.

I split the bottle between two shaker glasses to share with my wife. Being familiar with Upright beers I was careful pouring the beer because of their typical huge heads. Halfway through the pour I realized this was under carbonated and poured very vigorously. NO head formed. This is totally uncarbonated. The tropical juicy juice colored body had loads of sediment throughout and no lacing appears. This looks terrible. 1/5

The smell is probably the best part but still average. A sour cherry aroma lingers in the background behind be some lemony-wheat primary characteristics. 3/5

Taste is sour lemon and little else. Some bitter hops are evident at the back of my throat as an after-taste. 2/5

Mouthfeel is thin with no carbonation. There's not much else to say about it other than its unpleasant. 1.5/5

Drinkability is bad. I don't want another one of these. Another bottle is stashed away in my house and at the moment I can't figure out what to do with it. I seem to be the biggest dissenting opinion about this so far so maybe I can wok out a trade with someone who likes it more. Love the brewery, hate this beer. Not recommended.1.5/5

4.33/5  rDev +0.9%

Yet another massive thanks to Matt (bauermj) for letting me try this big want of mine. Tick! Second batch (bottle without the nudity).

Appearance – Pours into a tulip with hazy dark orange color with about a half finger of white head.

Smell – The nose, while not as impressive as Sole Composition, was quite nice with cherries, malts, slight barnyard funk, and a distinct earthiness.

Taste – Nice oak, barnyard funk, and lemon zest up front. The tart cherries come through midway in a fantastic manner. Slight vanilla, grape skin, and more sourness at the end.

Mouthfeel – Medium bodied, decent carbonation.

Overall – An incredible beer, and one I am happy to have tried. One of the highlights of the tasting for sure. Really wish I could get my hands on one of these but I feel this will be my one and only time trying this.

4.2/5  rDev -2.1%

Thanks to Wil for breaking out this random sexy bottle!
This label is going on the beer fridge ;)

Hazy amber, with white foam that almost had a pinkish tint to it. Flecks of lace around the edges, some foam with a vigorous pour, though it didn't last all that long.

Tart Lacto crispness and Brett funkiness in the nose, right off the bat it reminds me of batch 2 Uplands and LeBleu. Fruit is there, muddled and funkafied, but the suggestion of cherry is present, just hard to pin down.

Cherry is more present in the taste, blended with a general fruitiness, almost more like faint cherry yogurt than anything. Brett is there in spades, adding a backdrop layer of complexity. It's tart and juicy with a slight sweetness, mild cherry skin acidity that dries up somewhat in the finish. Overall, sort of typical of inoculated US sours. More oak and acidity from the wine-barrel would be an improvement.

Spritzy body, light and refreshing. It's hard to slow down and take many notes before it's gone. A whole bottle of this would disappear all too soon. Thanks again Wil for the opportunity to try this!

4.5/5  rDev +4.9%

4.53/5  rDev +5.6%

#500
Batch #2.

Appearance. Pours a nice peach-amber with a finger of white (maybe slightly pink, actually) head that fades pretty quickly to a skim.

Smell. Sour and lightly tart fruits; tart cherries, apples, peaches, and nectarines with a little strawberry and melon. A little bit woody and a little bit funky. Smells pretty awesome.

Taste. Sour light fruits and cherries, not nearly the huge fruit taste that I expected from the amazing smell, but still very nice. Some old dank wood and a little dry earthy funk. Fairly light flavours ...not watery, just lighter.

Mouthfeel. Medium-light body with medium+, lively carbonation.

Overall. Very nice beer. Happy to celebrate my incredibly important contribution to mankind in writing my 500th beer review with this sexy lady!!! ;-P

2.2/5  rDev -48.7%

Pours a strawberry color in the glass with a fizzy white head that disappears to only a lacing around the beer itself.

Smell- very acidic, citrus acid and vinegar smell. I don't get much else. Possible hint of fruit.

Taste- very acidic and strong sour taste runs this bad boy to the ground. Cherry sourness and some wine barrel hints.

Overall- its not worth the hype in my eyes. I would pass on this.

4.25/5  rDev -0.9%