Jacques Au Lantern - Evolution Craft Brewing Company

Evolution Craft Brewing Company visit their website
Maryland, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  6.30% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: lackenhauser on 10-28-2009)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Jacques Au Lantern Alström Bros
1.5/5  rDev -59.1%

2.05/5  rDev -44.1%

This year I made it my mission to indulge and try EVERY single Pumpkin related beer I could gather among all my local beer stores. I discovered this particular one today, the gentleman at the store recommended it for me, I love recommendations, so that always makes it exciting. I’m going to be very blunt. After coming home, setting up my new Freddy Krueger figure, turning on some tunes and pouring this bottle of Jacques Au Lantern into a glass I was immediately struck by what I consider a foul and unwelcoming odor. Let me mention that when it comes to pumpkin beers I am personally looking for a sweet aroma and taste, anything as close to a pumpkin pie and or related dessert as possible and this beer is certainly none of that. I am almost inclined to describe the smell as Pumpkinhead urine, you know, the film “PumpkinHead” right? Imagine that monster urinated, and that bitter stench is exactly what I experience as I inhale the aroma of this particular pumpkin malt beverage. I am almost struggling to find the pumpkin spice in this one too, it sort of creeps up amidst the after taste after you swallow, but I am very disappointed with this recommendation, not a fan. I had to give this one a very low rating, definitely will not be purchasing more, just aint my style.
-Mr.Oz

2.75/5  rDev -25.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

12 oz bottle into a tulip glass
A - Pours a gold/orange and cloudy; looks like apple cider, head dissipates quickly
S - cinnamon, spice, fermented apples
T - Mild spice; slight bitter aftertaste
F - sinificant carbonation, frothy
O - It's drinkable and ok, but I'm beginning to realize that I'm not a fan of most Pumpkin Ales; it seems more of a seasonal novelty to me rather than a really good seasonal brew

2.75/5  rDev -25.1%

2.8/5  rDev -23.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

12oz bottle poured into a shaker pint.

Appearance
Orange/amber with 1 finger of head that fizzles out quickly like soda. Excellent clarity and moderate carbonation.

Nose
Clove, nutmeg, Belgian yeast and banana.

Taste
The spices are upfront consisting of clove, nutmeg and cinnamon. Some nice Belgian yeastiness along with notes of wheat and banana.

Mouthfeel
Medium bodied and dry.

Overall
I detect no pumpkin. Just a whole lot of spices.

2.98/5  rDev -18.8%

12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Notches on the dates seem to be out of alignment.

A - Pours a dark orange body with no real head retention to speak of.

S - Surprisingly witbier like. Cinnamon and coriander mostly. A touch of bread.

T - Coriander heavy with faint spices on the finish. Not very pumpkin or fall like.

M - Nice carbonation and smooth mouth feel.

O - An oddly coriander heavy beer with little resemblance to its namesake.

3.03/5  rDev -17.4%

12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

Pours a clear copper, with 2 fingers of robust white head that has a bit of an off-look to it. This retains with a thin sudsy look that leaves back a smattering of spotty lacing. Sadly, butter just dominates the nose here, with light notes of pumpkin, spice and sweetness sitting way along the back. What a shame.

Thankfully this shows a little m ore of itself in the taste, with notes of pumpkin, a moderately sticky sweetness, a sprinkle of festive fall spices and a gentle bite of crisp green hops. A flush of diacetyl does come out across the back upon each sip but it isn’t quite enough to ruin things (although it tries). The finish is dry with a lingering raw bitterness. The mouthfeel is medium bodied and firm on the tongue, with more of a smooth creaminess on the edges of the feel that help keep this mostly easy feeling in the mouth.

This is kind of sad. I mostly liked what I could see from this Pumpkin Ale but that buttery off-flavor unfortunately threw this under the bus a bit. Maybe I’ll have to try another bottle this season and reinvestigate things.

3.04/5  rDev -17.2%