Jacques Au Lantern - Evolution Craft Brewing Company

Maryland, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  6.30% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: lackenhauser on 10-28-2009

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Jacques Au Lantern Alström Bros
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 202 | Reviews: 38
2.04/5  rDev -44.3%

This year I made it my mission to indulge and try EVERY single Pumpkin related beer I could gather among all my local beer stores. I discovered this particular one today, the gentleman at the store recommended it for me, I love recommendations, so that always makes it exciting. I’m going to be very blunt. After coming home, setting up my new Freddy Krueger figure, turning on some tunes and pouring this bottle of Jacques Au Lantern into a glass I was immediately struck by what I consider a foul and unwelcoming odor. Let me mention that when it comes to pumpkin beers I am personally looking for a sweet aroma and taste, anything as close to a pumpkin pie and or related dessert as possible and this beer is certainly none of that. I am almost inclined to describe the smell as Pumpkinhead urine, you know, the film “PumpkinHead” right? Imagine that monster urinated, and that bitter stench is exactly what I experience as I inhale the aroma of this particular pumpkin malt beverage. I am almost struggling to find the pumpkin spice in this one too, it sort of creeps up amidst the after taste after you swallow, but I am very disappointed with this recommendation, not a fan. I had to give this one a very low rating, definitely will not be purchasing more, just aint my style.
-Mr.Oz

4.62/5  rDev +26.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle poured into an Evolution pint glass.

Pours a clear copper orange. Very minimal head with no lacing retention. Smell is of spice, cinnamon, pumpkin, and nutmeg. Very pleasant and made me look forward to the taste. Taste is very similar to the what you smell on the nose, but I also get a light taste of gingerbread. This beer is sweet to the taste, not sure I could drink a ton of these in one night but a couple are perfect during fall. Mouthfeel was a moderate amount of carbonation and a medium lightly syrupy body.

Overall I really enjoyed this beer and will seek it out in the future for pumpkin beers. Glad to see that they have bottled this one.

4.27/5  rDev +16.7%

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass

A- A clear light orange/copper with a small off white head.

S-Pumpkin, nutmeg, cloves, cinnamon, bready malts.

T- Pumpkin, cinnamon, nutmeg, some cloves, nice malt backbone, touch of earthy spices in finish, mind of taste like pumpkin bread.

M- Smooth, body is a little on the light side.

O- Overall this is a solid pumpkin that is now one of my favorite pumpkin beers. Body is light and the only real issue I have with this beer. Being that this is under $10 a six pack I will definitely be buying more.

4.12/5  rDev +12.6%

A: A light, copper-colored beer with only a small amount of white head. There is a steady stream of bubbles from the bottom of the glass feeding the head, leaving a very thin layer on top of the beer.

S: My first impression: A pumpkin beer that actually smells like pumpkin! Some caramel malts, a hint of cloves and a tiny bit of cinnamon, but the predominant smell is that a fall squash, rather vegetal and pleasant.

T: An interesting beer. Malty, grassy and bitter. The sweet malts come up front, followed by the taste of spices and hay, with a good bit of fall squash flavor again. The end is rather bitter, not entirely pleasant, but not bad.

M: Medium body with a lot of carbonation.

O: Definitely makes a short list of pumpkin beers that I would actually buy again. They didn't hide the taste of pumpkin behind insane amounts of spices, but rather complimented the pumpkin with spices. Definitely a great fall beer, and one to check out if you're into pumpkin beers.

3.8/5  rDev +3.8%

On tap at Rustico's OktoBEERfest 2011. Served in a plastic pint. Reviewed from notes.

Pours a fairly-clear orange color with a nice white head and some good lacing. The nose carries some pumpkin spice and gourd. Well integrated with nothing coming on too strong. Flavor was a bit of a fallback from there, though still fairly good. Light body with a semi-dry finish. Pretty tasty and a nice all around effort.

3.88/5  rDev +6%

From 10/18/11 notes. Had on tap at the Evolution event at FireWorks in Arlington, VA.

a - Pours a murky orange brown color with one inch of white head and moderate carbonation evident.

s - Smells of pumpkin, spices, light nutmeg, light bready malts. Pretty good and the pumpkin is there, as are the spices.

t - Tastes of pumpkin, gingerbread, nutmeg, cinnamon, bready malts, and spices. A step up from the nose in my opinion as the taste was less focused on the spices and more on pumpkin pie.

m - Medium body and moderate carbonation, pretty smooth and easy to drink.

o - Overall a very good pumpkin ale. Easy to drink and I liked the sweet, pumpkin-pie like taste. Would certainly have it again.

I had this on tap at Frosco during Baltimore Beer Week. Served in a standard pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a mostly clear amber color with a layer of off white head that fades to a ring around the edge of the glass.

Smell: Some malt sweetness with pumpkin and a good amount of pie spice.

Taste: Very similar to the smell. Pumpkin and spice dominate with some malt sweetness in the background. The finish is spicy and a somewhat bitter.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with aggressive carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: I thought this was a very good pumpkin ale. The spice was very good, but it wasn't over spiced. I would definitely have another.

3.75/5  rDev +2.5%

Poured from growler. Thanks Duffy!

L - Deep orange color with a finger of head. Looked really cool poured from the growler, like a guinness with an extreme carb cloudiness, and then an opaque orange color emerges.

S - Pumpkin pie, with a heavy nutmeg note. Some effervescent lemon grass coming from the bubbles. Very nice.

T - LOTS of cloves with other pumpkin pie spices including nutmeg and cinnamon. Pumpkin is somewhat subdued upfront, but comes through as a roasted flavor on the back end.

M - This growler was 3 days old, and there is still a lot of carination in it. Medium bodied, with a bit of a spicy bite.

O - A nice fall beer. The pumpkin is done very well, not over the top like some, but still there as the backbone of the beer.

4.22/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Jacques Au Lantern on tap at Baltimore Taphouse in B'more, MD. Also had it at the Southern Boys Beer Festival in Salisbury, MD, organized by the guys behind Evolution Brewing.

Appearance: Extremely hazy, unfiltered-looking, dirty gorgeous, opaque as fuck. Like a pumpkin freshly juiced and poured into a glass. Little carbonation, no retention, no lacing.

Smell: Clove, cinnamon, spice. Rich aroma, but well balanced, not overwhelming. Little pumpkin in the nose, which is nice! Feels like seating by a warm fireplace on a winter evening. Reminds me of a hot toddy, very snuggly.

Taste: Not as exciting as the nose. Smooth, light. Very veggie-meaty-like, but almost a letdown from the intense smell. Faint hop touch, some spice, not much else. If it not were from the aroma, it'd be almost like drinking "pumpkin lemonade"! Would pair well with duck or foie gras.

Mouthfeel: It's got muscle! Full flavor and body, despite the low carbonation. Great coating of the mouth, bits the lips. A little thin at the end.

Drinkability: High! Goes down easy, not too filling, satisfying. Great! I am not a big fan of pumpkins, and this one is among the very few I will happily imbibe.

Had on tap at the brewery

A: Pours a light amber color with a small head. Not as dark as most pumpkin beers I have had. Decent lacing down the sides.

S: Somewhat spicy, with some cinnamon and other pumpkin spices (cloves/nutmeg/and brown sugar). Definitely on the sweeter side.

M: Very malty with hints of spices mixed in. Nice and subtle, not over the top like some pumpkin beers out there. Had a slight hop kick in the middle.

M/D: Medium bodied with nice carbonation. Overall a pretty good example of a pumpkin beer, one of my favorites in the style for sure.

3.93/5  rDev +7.4%

I picked this growler up at the Brewery tasting room, shared with tenderbranson 69 and Octopus87 poured my share chilled into a mug.

A - A more golden than amber color yet slight copper highlight like honey in the jar w/ 2 fingers of frothy cream and spatterings of lace the adhere and average sized bead, a pretty looking pumpkin with nice retention

S - The smell is sweet w/ grainy nose that has mild spice and brings to mind a mild custard w/ allspice and subtle yeast scent that gives a hint of tangi-ness to the smell

M - The feel has light tang of yeast which is blended well w/ a spice that is balanced by the creamy and mildly sweet malt texture. The finish is semi dry and carbonation is slightly low for the style

T - The Flavor is very nice w/ spice first and malt second w/ mild yeast flavor and slightly bitter hops adding balance w/ a slight acidic edge. The mild allspice adds nice contrast to the slight vegetal taste w/ nutmeg giving a gentle lemony note and slight nuttiness w/ spice used deftly and nice elment of toasty/nutty malt and slight vegetal note w/ subtle caramel malt note. The spice is subtle yet strong enough to balance the sweetness of the malt and toasted and bready flavor w/ yeast that leads to a less spiced and semi-dry finish

D -I was happy to try this thrice - once at Arena's and once at the tasting room, this growler was my third crack at it and it is solid, a very well made brew for the style. I have had better, but this is very good I was glad I was in town when it was on tap

On tap at Mahaffey's today. Easily one of the better pumpkin beers I've had in a while.

The beer pours a slightly hazy honey amber color with good head retention and lacing. The nose is like wise attractive, with considerable cinnamon, alspice, clove and brown sugar. The guys at Evolution have really nailed that pumpkin pie aroma in this one. The flavor profile generally replicates the nose, but what I really like, is that it appears this pumpkin beer has been built on an IPA frame. The light hoppy bitterness helps to tone down the sweetness a bit, and this beer is not nearly as heavy on the palate as some pumpkin beers out there. As a result, this is ultimately one of the better balanced pumpkin beers I've tried, with the alcohol well integrated into the flavor profile. Mouthfeel is medium bodied at most, but there's a lightness on the palate that I really appreciate. On the other hand, this beer has plenty of flavor, and is certainly not light or watery in that regard. The finish is moderately long and slightly bitter. As for drinkability, this is probably about as drinkable a pumpkin beer as I've ever come across. Quite nice. Very well done.

4.1/5  rDev +12%

Deep orange in color though a bit hazy. Small, foamy head. Nicely spiced aroma-somewhat clovey. Soft malty flavor with a good balance between the spices and a mellow pumpkin flavor. Spice level is just right. A bit earthy and yeasty. Good body. A well balanced package all in. Dangerously consumable, just like all of Evolutions beers I have had. Another winner in my book.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »