Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Dorado Double IPA - Ballast Point Brewing Company

Dorado Double IPADorado Double IPA

Ballast Point Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: drewbage on 06-14-2003

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dorado Double IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 608 | Hads: 2,502

I was looking for a solid double IPA when someone recommended this to me and I couldn't have been any happier. My only comment is AWESOME!!!

Well, maybe awesome isn't my only comment. It pours a hazy golden yellow and has that unique blend and balance of intense hops, strong alcohol while remaining smooth and drinkable. I am getting giddy just thinking about it. I could session this beer or just relax with a bomber. The only problem it doesn't come in a 12pk.

Wow. Off scents and sight, I'm already creaming over this beer. Fluffy white head stands tall above the brim of the glass atop a gorgeous and crystal clear newly refinished copper color. Pungent nose of tropical fruit and skunky hop resin! Papaya, pineapple, and sticky pine! Subtle notes of apricot and tangerine. Head just sticks to the glass. Super active beer with lots of visible carbonation.

Pure heaven. So much tropical fruit and not a touch of detectable alcohol.Same fruit flavors that are on the nose pass over the tongue. Sweet sticky honey and caramel like flavors only compliment the hops in the most amazing ways possible. Clean bitterness makes the beer not overly sweet. Lingering caramel covered tropical fruit in the mouth. The sweetness is offset by the bitterness so perfectly leaving nothing but delicious and balanced flavors in the mouth. The beer even has a slightly tannic quality. So incredibly balanced and smooth. Dangerously smooth! Why isn't this available in NJ year round and in 6 pack or 4 pack form!? I would pay 20 dollars a 6 for this! Pure brewing perfection.

This beer is burnt-orange/sunset amber in color. It has slight fruity undertones. When poured the beer has no head, with slight bubbles an intoxicating swirl pattern in the glass. All of this leads to nice legs in the glass and smooth viscoity...

The taste is very clean, very refreshing and very good. (Still need to drink another bottle in a few months and see if the taste improves like I hope/plan it will)

The beer itself has a very light mellow mouthfeel, with a crisp, intial hoppiness in the beginning with a nice smooth finish.

With a 9.1% ABV this beer is still very smooth and satisfying.

Well I use to do the full review thing but it just got a bit to old so here is what I have to say about this Ballast Point Beer.
I currently live in Boston MA. which is drinking city, and went back to San Diego to work on my friends airplane. After I was done I found the local liquor store to buy a beer and since Ballst point is a west coast and San Diego thing and hard to get on the east caost I got this with my take out dinner and it was the best beer I have ever had, and trust me I have been all over the world, this beer is the best I have had soo far, so try it and judge for yourself.

Incredible hops with a hint of fruitiness. The grapefruit sculpin is still probably my favorite, but if you like sculpin IPA this packs a bigger punch. This beer is very refreshing and highly drinkable. I highly recommend this beer.

This is really a great beer. The beer starts off tasty and mellow, and finishes off in a hoppy swirl of tasty strength, and flavor.

The body of this beer is relatively medium or so, perhaps in keeping with the American Double IPA tradition per se, and is also quite strong.

Truly a great beer, either as a single, or as a 6.

4.97/5  rDev +20.3%

A: Amber orange with a nice thick head. Heavy lacing.

S: Heavy citrus and hop aroma

T&M: Crisp, smooth fruity taste. Mild hop pine taste with a medium body. Finishes with a nice mellow hop bitterness.

This stuff is awesome. I had it on tap and hope that the bottle version is as good if I can find it.

4.94/5  rDev +19.6%

Wow. From a trade, as an item to bring up the $4$. Wonderful beer. States "Enjoy By 3/11/14." I am way on top of that...

A: Nice amber/orange pour, clear, with a scant head, and a nice coating/lacing as I go.

S: Hops! Pine, citrus, slightly sweet....

T: Follows the nose, but very hop forward, and resin-y. Sticky taste, with strong pine, but also floral citrus hops.

M: Nice, sticky, almost cloying, but also astringent. Makes you come back for more, and more, and more...

O: If this was available locally, I would be buying it regularly.

Drank from a 22 FL. OZ/1 PINT. 6 FLUID OUNCES./650ml bottle
Served in a snifter
Acquired in a trade with errantnight

The beer poured a super hazy, light orangey-amber color. The ultra creamy, frothy, one-finger head left sheets of thick, bubbly lacing all down the glass. Both the head retention and lacing were truly amazing, as they lasted long after the beer was finished.

The aroma was incredible. Intensely citrusy, bold and sweet with strong orange liquor and tropical fruit notes (mango, grapefruit and papaya). A yeasty quality was also detectable. As the beer warmed, the alcohol became a bit more noticeable.

Like the aroma, the taste was near perfect. Hoppy up front with a stiff malt backbone. Subtle hints of brown sugar came through. Strong, zesty, orange and tropical fruit notes (pineapple) dominated in the center. Lots of "c" hop notes going on here. Some spiciness came through as well. The semi-dry and pithy finish was grapefruit-like with a bit of pine and resin mixed in. A touch of alcohol warmth appeared as well and became somewhat more apparent as the beer warmed. Some bitterness lingered in the aftertaste.

The mouthfeel was super creamy, smooth and slick with a medium/fuller body and a fine, subtle carbonation. Frothy and supple on the palate.

This 9% ABV double IPA was one of the most drinkable versions of the style I have ever tried. It was incredibly well balanced yet still came packed with enough citrusy hop goodness to satisfy even the most seasoned hop head.

Overall, this was an exceptional brew. Hopefully the folks at Ballast Point will consider making this a year-round offering.

4.92/5  rDev +19.1%

Pours a copper hued array of beauty with minimal head but excellent lacing throughout the glass. Definite traces of grapefruit and orange nicely complemented by the refreshing essence of hops. There's also a mild trace of pine with a slight lemon accent.

The taste. Oh the taste. Fruit tingles the olfactory senses as the copper froth tantalizes the pallet. Initially crisp, but relaxing to soothing as the Herculean river of hoppy goodness engulfs the pallet. Not too bitter, fruity throughout. The alcohol hides behind the guise of the fruity medley, and increases the overall drinkability of this double ipa.

The mouthfeel is far superior to any double ipa I've experienced thus far. Not brutal and purely high abv, more subtle and subdued. Slight touches of caramel followed by hint of the double digits abv.

This double ipa is quite drinkable indeed. It surpasses Mojo Risin' on the aspect of double ipa drinkability. Each glass will beckon for its successor. In my humble opinion, this surpasses my prior Double IPA Favorite (Great Divide Hercules) and is now at the top of my list.

4.92/5  rDev +19.1%

A - Orange/yellow/ dusty.

S - Citrus is up front, followed by some hops.

T - Taste is rich citrus, some sweetness mixed with hops is there as well.

M - Great balanced carbonation, not too much but just right. Great citrusy aftertaste with some alcohol hints.

O - Overall I tend to drink this one whenever possible, great different tasting IPA. Citrus kinda IPA.

4.91/5  rDev +18.9%

-pours a clear amber with a medium frothy white head
-medium carbonation visible
Big citrus fruits like grapefruit,orange,mandarine,also peach,mango,pineapple and resinous
-follows the nose with a very dry finish
-medium carbonation,medium-full body
-alcohol really well hidden
My fave DIPA so far,even beats out the lauded Firestone Walker Double Jack for me.

4.9/5  rDev +18.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Rarely do I give out 5's, but as I sit here at Ballast Point in India St, the fresh flavor is incredible and even passes up my favorite Sculpin. Way to go Ballast Point!

4.89/5  rDev +18.4%

A-Clean bright light copper with a thick off-white creamy head.

S-GRAPEFRUIT! Some sweet maltiness with background aromas of floralness.

T-Sticky sweet with a huge grapefruit flavours...this is something else...alcoholic grapefruit juice!

M-Medium bodied and a pleasant carbonation. This one is smooth and very easy on the palate.

D-I absolutely love this beer...certainly one of my very favorite DIPA's....and beers of all time. This is such a great brew to satisfy that grapefruit hop love! The 9%+ would get you into trouble....QUICKLY! Too bad it is going on vacation...damn hop shortage!

4.87/5  rDev +17.9%

There is a hell of a big wad of sediment in the bottom of this bottle so I pour this very carefully.

I am rewarded with a Dreadnaught clone; hazy peachy amber colored beer with a good white head.

Smell is as I hoped; in fact an enormous and complex bouquet of hop aromas. Scents of pine, pineapple, guava, menthol, eucalyptus, willow tree, citrus, peaches and 10 other things I can't name. The scent is among the top three Mega IPA beers.

Taste begins sweet and fruity with a giant taste of guava and melon in the first sip; there is a pleasant lingering slightly green banana aftertaste to this. Big tropical fruit flavors just jump out at you from this just like the two big Russian River Beers and the Three Floyds Dreadnaught. The traditional big hop tastes of pine and grapefruit are minimized in this beer and allow every other flavor that hops can be to really shine. A truly superior Super IPA class beer.

Mouthfeel is good.

This is get you in "big trouble easy" drinkable. TASTY is the only word that applies here and this is just about liquid hop sex in a bottle. This is in the same class as the top three Super IPAs in the world and might just be the best.

4.85/5  rDev +17.4%

Ballast Point has yet to let me down so let's see...

The appearence is a deep cloudy orange with a nice bubbly white head and patchy white lacing.

The nose is citrus hops and a slight bit of malt. There really isn't much to it. A touch of a breadiness as well.

Wow the taste is unreal. Explosoins of citrus hops all in the mouth just illuminate the flavors here. This is just incredily enjoyable. Melon, grapefruit and tangerine flavors. This is truly exquissite.

Mouthfeel is medium carbonation and very oily.

Drinkability is extremely high. This is one of the best beers I have had, and definitely the best DIPA I have ever had. Ballast Point is fast becoming my favorite brewery. Damn! Drink this if you have the means!

4.84/5  rDev +17.2%

Appearance- Fairly clear, orange/amber body with decent sized, off white head. Head appears to have a lot of staying power and good lacing.

Aroma- Wow. Glorious melange of malt sweetness and aroma hops. Hints of citrus (mostly orange and tangerine) and spruce. Smells spectacular. (Yeah...I'm a hop-head).

Taste-Wow. Beautiful mix of malt, malt sweetness and flavoring hops. not cloying at all. Mere words don't descibe the flavor. A nice subtle citrus in there to. Sweet oranges and tangerines. Yum.

Mouthfeel- A tad oily, which is fine. Good, solid body. Perfect level of carbonation to push those hops up front.

Drinkability- Okay....this one is a sipper, even for a hop-head. I'm glad I only bought one of these things, because I would be very tempted to drink 2 or 3 bombers.

4.82/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

First beer I tried from Ballast Point, as they recently expanded to WI. Truly drinkable double/IIPAs are few and far between, but this one nails it. At 10% ABV, it is not for the faint of heart; this is a beer for those who at least like hop-heavy regular IPA brews like Dogfish Head 90-Minute or Sierra Nevada Torpedo. With that in mind, it's surprisingly light for its ABV, with (relatively) balanced flavor and character reminiscent of other B.Point beers like Big Eye or Sculpin.

4.82/5  rDev +16.7%

A: The DIPA is a brilliant amber orange color that showcases a thick billowy head that laces extensively in the glass.

S: The ale has a crisp hoppy aroma, thick with piney and citrusy oils. This is the type of beer that you could sit and sniff for several hours.

T: The body of the ale screams hops. The oily thick vine resonates through the ale, providing s a strong piney resin element that outshines all other varietals. As the pine subsides, some apricot and tangerine citrus elements emerge, sustaining an entirely different component of the ale.

M: The mouthfeel is thick and juicy hops, flavorful without dulling the tastebuds.

D: This is an excellent DIPA, showcasing a strong hop body that never overwhelms the mouth. I really enjoy the piney finish, it nicely sums up the ale.

4.82/5  rDev +16.7%

Serving:on Tap at Naja's Redondo Beach Duing LA Beer Week.
A: a beautiful hazy golden colour with 2 fingers of white head that lingered through the pint.

S:You can smell the fresh hoppy goodness in this one. Pine, Grapefruit and other citrus.

T:I love this type of DIPA. Super Hoppy! not the overly malty doubles with subdued hops you get somtimes.

M:Just the right amount of carbonation for the style. Left my taste buds looking for more.

D:Very drinkable and aproachable for 10%...bring me more.

Another example of a great beer from a great brewery

4.82/5  rDev +16.7%

Thanks to goodspeed94 for sending this bottle all the way across the continent to the Heartland. Always looking for another good dose of hops to keep the temp down.

Looks like an IPA, golden, amberish. Smell is pretty amazing. Very sweet, with a rip of hops, to no one's surprise.

Wow. This is fantastic. The hops are not only bitter, but multi-layered, attacking every part of my mouth with equal angry zeal. Hops in the first rush, on the way down, & lingering in the aftertaste. And unlike most IIPAs, the "balance" of the malts is sweet & appropriate, not taming the hops, but playing sweet romantic footsie with them before the main event. Hot damn.

Nothing to complain about here, tastes great, easy down, etc. I could see slumping over a bar with an unending glass of this in front of me until I fell off onto the damp floor. I'd love to try this on tap, as I can't see how it could get much better.

Absolutely top notch. One of the best IIPAs I've ever had. I'd be happy to welcome a bottle of thirty-seven of this into my home any day.

4.79/5  rDev +16%

Poured into a tulip. A hazy yellow-amber with moderate head and solid lacing. You can see the hop oil up top. Smell is very enjoyable and full of delicate complexities: an abundance of hops, lemon and grapefruit, some peachy guava fruityness, floral bouquets, a hint of honey, peppers and spice, with a strong biscuit backbone. Unbelievable!

Taste is very unique for this style without being overdone or outrageous. Sophisticated! Very nice. It's got the definite pine hop bite you look for, with a nice bitter finish, but not too bitter...a refreshing fruity melon with a hint of sour grapefruit, along with a warming, buttery bread quality. Very buttery. Very drinkable. Very well done. I can't taste the alcohol at all.

My burps actually taste like hops and smell like grapefruit. Mouthfeel is great. Full and bubbly. It's a little expensive, but one of the best beers I've tried in a while...which says a lot. Definitely as good if not better than the infamous Drednaught- my standard for DIPA's- which is good because this one's a little easier to find in Cali. I'm sure all the hops in this are expensive, but find a way to lower the price to 3.99 or less per bomber (Lagunitas style) and make it a year-round release, and you've got my new favorite beer.

4.77/5  rDev +15.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

While beer hunting in Lake Placid I found this interesting looking high octane IPA. I started it as a follow up to a Brasseur du Monde 90 minute L'Interdite and it announced it's arrival with a flourish. At 650 ml. it carried over to my salad and was a great compliment. This is no session beverage but one to savour over many courses it seems. Next, I reached for some cheese, slice of cheddar, then a wedge of garlic and herb goat cheese. I'm finishing the last 2 oz. with purple grapes and a molasses cookie.
Dorado is right up there with Heady Topper as an IPA comparable (and I indulged in one yesterday), but I can report with confidence that it is a beverage that you can count on from aperetif to dessert! Outstanding!

look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

APPEARANCE - 1FH, cloudy, light, red, amber.

AROMA/SCENT - Hops, pine.

TASTE - Hops, pine.

VALUE - $8.00 for a 13-oz. draft. Good price.

OVERALL/DRINKABILITY - ABV well-hidden, quaffable.

4.77/5  rDev +15.5%

Another impressive IPA from Southern California. Pours a golden tan with a thick beige head. Nice lacing and retention.

Nose has a bouquet of fresh hops over sweet candy malts. I could smell this all day long if it weren't so tasty.

Taste is an explosion of pine and citrus hops up front balanced by rich candy malts.

Medium body with a crisp carbonation. Great bitter finish leaves a coat of resiny hop oils on the palate. Impressive stuff.

Dorado Double IPA from Ballast Point Brewing Company