Dorado Double IPA - Ballast Point Brewing Company

Dorado Double IPADorado Double IPA

Ballast Point Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: drewbage on 06-14-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dorado Double IPA Alström Bros
Chrisbrooks

08-21-2014 14:57:10 | More by Chrisbrooks
Dijeriduster

1.6/5  rDev -61.4%

Not sure what the story is but Ballast Point has done it again - changing the recipe for one of their most popular beers...first Sculpin last year and now Dorado. Boo.

A - Light honey gold with just a hint of head that doesn't stick around

S - Sweet and slightly phenolic with just a hint of hops, this should be a hop monster but smells like off homebrew

T - Sweet and bitter, but not in a hoppy way. Tastes like it didn't ferment all the way out or ferm'd at too low a temperature. Pales in comparison to years past.

M - Thin and whispy, the sweetness clings to your tongue in a bad way.

O - Wouldn't even get a taster of this let alone a pint. This is a classic example of needing to dump a batch - if Dog Fish can handle it then BP should buck up too. A sad day.

04-21-2011 20:56:11 | More by Dijeriduster

Rosanne

06-19-2013 03:29:27 | More by Rosanne
SkunkWorks

2.2/5  rDev -46.9%

Growler from Stony Brook Beverage, Stony Brook, NY served in a pint glass.

Look: clear golden body with big carbonation bubbles floating to the top, nice head retention on the beige head with some lacing left behind. Good looking.

Smell: resin with a big, boozy aroma. Not particularly inviting. If I really stick my nose in it, I can pick up hints of floral, citrusy aromas too but they are hard to pick out.

Taste: follows the nose with a lot of alcohol and unpleasant resinous bitterness. Not very good.

Feel: medium to full in body, which is a good mouthfeel for a DIPA, but that booziness is a problem. Its not really sessionable and I decided to stop drinking halfway to the bottom of my glass. I will be leaving the rest of the growler for my girlfriend to finish, since she seemed to like it.

Overall: not impressed. I was expecting a bigger Sculpin and got this instead. The keg was fairly recently tapped so either the beer has sat in distributor hell for a long time or this beer is terrible. Given that the only Ballast Point I've had that I enjoyed was Sculpin, I might be inclined to believe it is the latter. Avoid. Cheers!

05-21-2011 12:26:17 | More by SkunkWorks
ehammond1

Growler

Ballast Point Brewing Company
San Diego, CA

A glowing and clear amber with shades of red throughout. Thin white head perched atop with little lacing. Not a ton of carbonation or stick.

The nose is this beer's best characteristic. There's an array of citrus notes predominantly orange, grapefruit, and mango, along with a punch of melon, yet quite a bit of alcohol is very present in the nose as well.

The taste, however, falls away sharply and disappointingly from the vaulted ground the aroma sits atop. The hop bitterness and some citrus elements are here but this mainly consists of palette-wrecking, liquor-like alcohol burn. Unpleasant.

Thin, oily, and slick in the mouth. Goes down like liquor; harsh.

I'd been wanting to try this beer for a very, very long time. As a huge fan of Sculpin, I imagined this beer would find its way in to very similar heralded ground. I disappointingly missed it at Churchill's when it was on tap a few months ago.
When I got the e-mail yesterday about a new batch of Dorado, I rushed to the brewery asap and was the first to try the new batch. I even had to wait as they tapped the first keg and erased Tongue Buckler off their overhead board so they could add Dorado in its place.
I wanted to like this beer, and I didn't. Now I'm wondering what to do with the last half of an unwanted growler. Very disappointing.

(As strange as this sounds for a DIPA, this beer seems like a perfect candidate for aging. If I'd bought bombers instead of a growler, I'd cellar the remainder.)

04-08-2011 02:20:45 | More by ehammond1

chcfan

01-08-2012 19:29:49 | More by chcfan
Sideswipe

2.53/5  rDev -38.9%

On tap at the brewery. Into a pint glass.

Dark amber color with half a finger of foam. Head recedes rapidly leaving a small ring around the outside of my glass. No lacing at all portends that all is not right in Denmark. Smell is of sweet malt and dank hops. No floral or citrus qualities are discernible. I'm getting a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach. The taste is... Well, first and foremost it's sweet. Overly sweet. This is followed by a wave of bitterness and a sweet juicy finish. The term "medicinal" is the first adjective that comes to mind. It reminds me of the cough syrup I never wanted to take when I was a kid. Speaking of syrup, the feel is thick and syrupy with a low level of carbonation. Overall this was a disappointment. I remember this being much better when I had it a year or so ago. Brighter and much less sweet. As is, this beer is not undrinkable, I finished my pint, but it was not very enjoyable.

04-08-2011 22:07:01 | More by Sideswipe
Dubber55

2.58/5  rDev -37.7%

Into a Founders snifter pours a slightly hazy honey/gold with 1 finger head.

First thing I smell is very strong pine. Then I smell booze and some more grassy hops.

Taste starts off with strong pine, followed by biscuity toasted malt, grass clippings and plenty of booze.The finish is pretty sweet.

Mouthfeel is thick and syrupy. Coats the mouth. Medium carbonation.

Overall, I do not like this beer. It becomes syrupy and cloying from all the malt. Almost reminds me of a barleywine. Way too sweet for my tastes. The booze is also pretty strong which covers up whatever other flavors there might be.

04-16-2011 21:16:37 | More by Dubber55
Philousa

2.68/5  rDev -35.3%

Clear and pale with an orange tint. A half finger dense head depeltes to a thin layer around the edge and a mound in the middle from the etching in my FW nonic. Lots of grapefruit and lemon with some piney bite in the aroma. Malt is biscuity but light, taking a seat behind the hops. Speaking of hops, they start and end the taste of this beer. Starting off tart and citrusy, moving to utterly bitter, and ending with a weedy, grainy bitterness that lasts on the back of your throat. Body is balanced with a dry aftertaste.

This one ain't kidding around with the bitterness. There is not much sweetness in the malt to balance this one out and it's bitter from start to finish. It does mellow out with time and as it warms, but there really isn't much complexity to this. Lots of great DIPA's in CA. This is not one of them, unfortunitately.

07-17-2012 05:02:38 | More by Philousa
DustinSWB

2.75/5  rDev -33.6%

09-29-2013 19:38:00 | More by DustinSWB
jfunkk79

2.78/5  rDev -32.9%

Pours a very clear light amber. Nice fluffy head that clings all the way down. Aroma is very nice full of pine and citrus. The smell was the best part of this beer IMHO. The taste was overpowered by a strong alcohol flavor that hangs in the back of the mouth losing a lot of the hop in the process. Was not impressed.

04-03-2009 04:05:43 | More by jfunkk79
jrnyc

2.9/5  rDev -30%

I love Ballast Point, Sculpin is one of my favorite beers. I had high hopes for this one, but it was a big disappointment. It was very bitter, bitter not in a good way. My friiend had some and he had same feelings as me. We drank as much as we could, but ultimately this was a drain pour.

08-14-2012 00:39:54 | More by jrnyc
dannydetox

2.99/5  rDev -27.8%

i remember enjoying this brew fresh from the taps at the Ballast Point home brew shop several years ago, so i jumped at the shot to grab a 22oz for $5. maybe the bottle had been sitting for awhile, because i believe the hops have fallen out significantly. the beer is completely opaque; my hand disappears behind the cloudy, amber liquid in the glass. lacing is significant all across the glass. nose honeyed stone fruit, and some caramel malts. on the palate i detect aromas of dried apricot, more malt sweetness, and something reminiscent of toasted nuts. there is some bitterness on the back end, but also lingering, syrupy alcohol sweetness, too. as it stands, this product is everything i dislike about imperial or double ipas: cloying sweetness as a result of raising the abv without the heady hop aromas i love so much about west coast ipa. if there was any brewed on/enjoy by date, it was covered up by the $5 handmade price tag. this will be a hard bottle to finish. will update the review when i can confirm i have a fresh bottle/draft in hand.

11-07-2013 02:36:01 | More by dannydetox
FtownThrowDown

Pours a dark amber in color with a nice frothy half inch head. Smell is somewhat past prime hops and lots of malt to help support the hops that were there. Taste is much the same. Don't know if this bottle didn't travel well or just got a old bottle. The hops are not what they should be. A little disappointing, I'll have to get another bottle and revisit.

02-13-2009 17:48:54 | More by FtownThrowDown