Dorado Double IPA - Ballast Point Brewing Company

Dorado Double IPADorado Double IPA

Ballast Point Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: drewbage on 06-14-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dorado Double IPA Alström Bros
4.45/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This beer pours out as a really nice copper color with a thick creamy looking head. The lacing was pretty thick on the glass too. The smell of the beer is really hopped up and had big aromas of citrus and pine. The taste of the beer was also intense just like the nose, really good hop flavors tingle the tongue on every sip. The mouthfeel is a little bitey but still remained drinkable. Overall it's a damn good brew.

Knapp85, Jun 16, 2011
4.93/5  rDev +19.1%

A - Orange/yellow/ dusty.

S - Citrus is up front, followed by some hops.

T - Taste is rich citrus, some sweetness mixed with hops is there as well.

M - Great balanced carbonation, not too much but just right. Great citrusy aftertaste with some alcohol hints.

O - Overall I tend to drink this one whenever possible, great different tasting IPA. Citrus kinda IPA.

SDtastentune, May 27, 2011
2.2/5  rDev -46.9%

Growler from Stony Brook Beverage, Stony Brook, NY served in a pint glass.

Look: clear golden body with big carbonation bubbles floating to the top, nice head retention on the beige head with some lacing left behind. Good looking.

Smell: resin with a big, boozy aroma. Not particularly inviting. If I really stick my nose in it, I can pick up hints of floral, citrusy aromas too but they are hard to pick out.

Taste: follows the nose with a lot of alcohol and unpleasant resinous bitterness. Not very good.

Feel: medium to full in body, which is a good mouthfeel for a DIPA, but that booziness is a problem. Its not really sessionable and I decided to stop drinking halfway to the bottom of my glass. I will be leaving the rest of the growler for my girlfriend to finish, since she seemed to like it.

Overall: not impressed. I was expecting a bigger Sculpin and got this instead. The keg was fairly recently tapped so either the beer has sat in distributor hell for a long time or this beer is terrible. Given that the only Ballast Point I've had that I enjoyed was Sculpin, I might be inclined to believe it is the latter. Avoid. Cheers!

SkunkWorks, May 21, 2011
4.6/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4/7/2011

Fresh batch put on today at Old Grove in a pint glass.

A: Transparent yellow gold with a frothy white cap. Nice retention and lots of scattered lacing.

S: Blast of tropical character: mango, papaya, passion fruit. Notes of honeydew melon are evident, accompanied by grass and pine. I also detect big grapefruit notes, as well as orange and a little stone fruit. The hops are bright and really expressive. A little sugary caramel is buried beneath the hops.

T: Lightly sweet up front, with a moderate bitterness overshadowed by a massive hop cornucopia. Once again there are strong notes of mango and papaya. There's some candied sweetness midpalate with faint notes of caramel. Orange, grapefruit, peach, and pine are evident throughout. Alcohol is noticeable but not offensive.

M: Medium in body with moderate carbonation. Mouthfeel is dry, sticky, and smooth.

Overall: An exceptional batch of an exceptional beer. One of the best in the style.

*edit* I had another glass of this new batch on tap at Churchill's a couple weeks later and it was awful, like D+ awful: cloying, medicinal, and face melting booze. I'm not sure what's going on with this batch. I didn't take notes but I could hardly finish my glass. This review is from the keg I had the first day they tapped it at Old Grove which was awesome.

HopHead84, May 05, 2011
4.18/5  rDev +1%

Tasted April 23rd 2011 (from notes)

Poured into an IPA fest glass (Najs's Place, Redondo Beach, CA)

A - Golden honey and copper, barely any head, white in color and some lacing

S - Alcohol, tons of sweet malt and yeast, a citrus floral garden. Lots of fruit

T - Alcohol and more alcohol. Very fruity, citrus hops, floral hops, and very sweet

M - Chewy, almost to chewy. Low acidity and a long finish

D - Drinks nicely for a 10%+. Well balanced minus the alcohol in nose and palate

Final thought - Ballast point makes good IPA

whatthehull, May 03, 2011
1.6/5  rDev -61.4%

Not sure what the story is but Ballast Point has done it again - changing the recipe for one of their most popular beers...first Sculpin last year and now Dorado. Boo.

A - Light honey gold with just a hint of head that doesn't stick around

S - Sweet and slightly phenolic with just a hint of hops, this should be a hop monster but smells like off homebrew

T - Sweet and bitter, but not in a hoppy way. Tastes like it didn't ferment all the way out or ferm'd at too low a temperature. Pales in comparison to years past.

M - Thin and whispy, the sweetness clings to your tongue in a bad way.

O - Wouldn't even get a taster of this let alone a pint. This is a classic example of needing to dump a batch - if Dog Fish can handle it then BP should buck up too. A sad day.

Dijeriduster, Apr 21, 2011
3.48/5  rDev -15.9%

I had this at a Ballast Point event in NYC almost exactly 1 year ago and remember loving it...Picked up a growler yesterday at New Beer Distributors-NY.

A: Into a snifter, Dorado pours a lovely clear amber golden color under a sudsy head. Bright color that's about as rewarding to look at as the colors on the prized fish itself.

S: Lush and very attractively blended aroma of pine and floral hops. Cool and refreshing fruity nose.

M/T: A relatively smooth but salty pine hop bitterness flows over the tongue into a dry herbal noted finish. My guess is that Pine accented hops are king in this brew and perhaps that's where I'm getting that salty sensation from...

O: All in all, I'm a bit disappointed this time around with the taste in this brew. Perhaps it's just me...If this was the intended taste that the brewery was going for, then perhaps it's just not quite for me. Of course, there's always the possibility that somewhere along the distribution path, this beer changed...Regardless, I have to say that this isn't bad beer...It's simply not along the lines of my taste for Imperial IPA. I will continue to celebrate the brews of Ballast Point and suggest that YOU be the judge...

albertjr21, Apr 19, 2011
2.58/5  rDev -37.7%

Into a Founders snifter pours a slightly hazy honey/gold with 1 finger head.

First thing I smell is very strong pine. Then I smell booze and some more grassy hops.

Taste starts off with strong pine, followed by biscuity toasted malt, grass clippings and plenty of booze.The finish is pretty sweet.

Mouthfeel is thick and syrupy. Coats the mouth. Medium carbonation.

Overall, I do not like this beer. It becomes syrupy and cloying from all the malt. Almost reminds me of a barleywine. Way too sweet for my tastes. The booze is also pretty strong which covers up whatever other flavors there might be.

Dubber55, Apr 16, 2011
4.5/5  rDev +8.7%

Growler from ArthurPendragon. Thanks, Art. New April 2011 batch, weighing in at 10.6% ABV.

Pours a brilliantly clear shade of golden amber. The head dissipates with surprising quickness, though there's plenty of carbonation.

Smells like tropical fruit salad, a real cornucopia of fruit aroma on display here. Curiously, honeydew melon is most prominent, not a scent I commonly pick up in hoppy beers, but it smells great. Sweet mango and ripe stonefruit also come to mind. Alcohol and malt are faintly noticed, lending a bit of depth.

Taste is where this beer really shines. Layers of ripe, sweet tropical fruit flavors wash the palate: honeydew, papaya, mango, a hint of peach. The texture is full, silky - this batch feels more full and sweet than previous batches, though it's neither cloying nor syrupy. A grainy malt base is noticeable if I dig for it, though it's buried. Bitterness is mild in the finish, and there's a brief kick of alcohol. Potent as it is, it's remarkably easy to drink, very rounded and smooth.

Overall, this seems quite different from older batches of Dorado, possibly for the better. The hop character has shifted more toward tropical fruit flavors, which are highlighted by greater sweetness and alcohol. I'm really liking this batch, though I seem to be in the minority.

largadeer, Apr 14, 2011
3.8/5  rDev -8.2%

I've decided this 2XIPA is a lovely honey gold, but not as opaque as honey, more translucent. Almost a full 2 finger head, and dense. Lacing, yup it's there. The hops On the nose are full of herbs and pine. It smells sticky and earthy. There is some balance here, but sadly sweet sticky hops wine in the end. A simple basic malt bill can't stand uP to the hop bill Ballast point uses. The beer is very piney, herbaceous, and slightly cloying. I'd say dorado is a bit syrupy in my mouth, but fairly regular for the style. A fine ale to be certain, but it's hard for a 2XIPA to stand tall when the likes of Pliny and ghandi-bot are around.

pmlondrigan, Apr 13, 2011
2.53/5  rDev -38.9%

On tap at the brewery. Into a pint glass.

Dark amber color with half a finger of foam. Head recedes rapidly leaving a small ring around the outside of my glass. No lacing at all portends that all is not right in Denmark. Smell is of sweet malt and dank hops. No floral or citrus qualities are discernible. I'm getting a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach. The taste is... Well, first and foremost it's sweet. Overly sweet. This is followed by a wave of bitterness and a sweet juicy finish. The term "medicinal" is the first adjective that comes to mind. It reminds me of the cough syrup I never wanted to take when I was a kid. Speaking of syrup, the feel is thick and syrupy with a low level of carbonation. Overall this was a disappointment. I remember this being much better when I had it a year or so ago. Brighter and much less sweet. As is, this beer is not undrinkable, I finished my pint, but it was not very enjoyable.

Sideswipe, Apr 08, 2011
2.5/5  rDev -39.6%

Growler

Ballast Point Brewing Company
San Diego, CA

A glowing and clear amber with shades of red throughout. Thin white head perched atop with little lacing. Not a ton of carbonation or stick.

The nose is this beer's best characteristic. There's an array of citrus notes predominantly orange, grapefruit, and mango, along with a punch of melon, yet quite a bit of alcohol is very present in the nose as well.

The taste, however, falls away sharply and disappointingly from the vaulted ground the aroma sits atop. The hop bitterness and some citrus elements are here but this mainly consists of palette-wrecking, liquor-like alcohol burn. Unpleasant.

Thin, oily, and slick in the mouth. Goes down like liquor; harsh.

I'd been wanting to try this beer for a very, very long time. As a huge fan of Sculpin, I imagined this beer would find its way in to very similar heralded ground. I disappointingly missed it at Churchill's when it was on tap a few months ago.
When I got the e-mail yesterday about a new batch of Dorado, I rushed to the brewery asap and was the first to try the new batch. I even had to wait as they tapped the first keg and erased Tongue Buckler off their overhead board so they could add Dorado in its place.
I wanted to like this beer, and I didn't. Now I'm wondering what to do with the last half of an unwanted growler. Very disappointing.

(As strange as this sounds for a DIPA, this beer seems like a perfect candidate for aging. If I'd bought bombers instead of a growler, I'd cellar the remainder.)

ehammond1, Apr 08, 2011

On-tap at the Lodge in Hilton Head, SC on 3/4/11.

A - Hazy orange-amber with a creamy white head. Great retention, leaves a ton of soapy lacing.
S - Pungent grapefruit and pine resin hops with a sweet caramel malt backbone. Very "West-Coast".
T - Huge tropical flavors of pineapple, papaya, peach and grapefruit with a strong caramel malt backbone. Tastes like a fruit cocktail cup in the best possible way!
M - Slightly creamy and sticky with a medium-full mouthfeel and moderate carbonation.
D - Nicely drinkable, the high ABV is well masked.

jsanford, Mar 15, 2011
4.15/5  rDev +0.2%

Had on tap at the Ballast Point event at Hungry Monk.

Arrived in a chalice glass with no head, but nice golden color. I expect there was no head due to how it was poured.

Smelled strongly of pine, with some citrus, especially grapefruit. Nice.

The taste was also very piney/grapefruity, with the malt sweetness sort of in the background. Not nearly as sweet as some other DIPAs I've had lately.

The carbonation was good - I expected less based on how it looked. Left a sticky coating in my mouth.

I easily finished this glass, but that was enough for me. Nice double over all.

ejyoung, Mar 09, 2011
4.5/5  rDev +8.7%

Bomber bought from Sun Singer in Champaign, IL.

Appearance: Pours beautiful hazy orange with a fair amount of head, which sticks around as pools of white bubbles leave minimal lacing.

Smell: Mostly honey malts with some hints of pineapple. The nose, to me, is more malt than hops. Not a bad thing, necessarily, but don't look for the fruity hops of near-perfect (smell) of Sculpin.

Taste: Delicious. The balance defines this beer. Honey malt flavor backbones DIPA-strong pineapple hops. Alcohol hidden. I seem to have grabbed a beer that might be a bit dated, but it has enormous virtues nonetheless.

Mouthfeel: Quite good. Not too thick, not too thin.

Drinkability: One bomber should about do it for me. Nothing sneaky about this beer--just good.

mymasterpiece75, Mar 01, 2011
4.6/5  rDev +11.1%

I had this on-tap at the Ballast Point Brewery out in San Diego. This was my second trip to the brewery, and the first time I've had this beer. One word describes it; "flawless." This is the best DIPA that I have had to this point. Being from NY, I'm accustomed to East Coast styled IPAs. Despite that, I have a new found love for the West Coast style of IPAs.

This beer had a very distinct malty sweetness to it. The hop profile was strong but not overbearing. This beer was resoundingly balanced and highly enjoyable.

*As a note, this site has the ABV listed as 9.6%, the brewery had the ABV posted as 10.6%. I don't know if that batch was stronger than usual or if that was the norm.

Nature777, Jan 12, 2011
4.22/5  rDev +1.9%

A: Hazy dark golden color. About a finger of white head that leaves plenty of lacing behind with a nice cap of foam on tap.

S: hints of pineapple and apricot a bit of alcohol and a honey like malt sweetness

T: tastes of tropical fruits mostl pineapple which is quickly swept away with resinous bitterness that is over powered by sweet honey malts and finishing on an alcoholic and bitter resinous note.

M: full bodied yet light. Bitter slight spicy and a tad sweet.

D: Pretty easy drinker. A really solid dipa.

billshmeinke, Jan 06, 2011

Notes from TJ's 7th Anniversary...
Appears a transparent light gold with a small white cap that quickly fades into a small cap and heavy collar. Lots of CO2 pumping up to the top of the rim. Scattered streaks of lacing are left around the glass.
Smell is of heavy citrus, sugary malt, herbs, and cut wood.
Taste is of the aromas with some pine sap and two-row malt keeping the hops in check.
Mouthfeel is medium-full bodied, smooth, chewy, and warming.

weeare138, Dec 29, 2010
3.1/5  rDev -25.1%

On tap at the Blind Pig Brewery in Champaign IL.

A: Pours an almost clear golden/yellow color. A two finger white head forms with good retention. Sticky lace is left behind.
S: Pine, grapefruit, and resiny syrupy. Light floral and grassy aroma. Not a lot of balance, but the hop aroma has some nuance which is enjoyable.
T: All the nuance that was in the nose is gone here. Just bitter grapefruit and resiny pine flavors. No balance at all.
M/D: A medium body that has a crisp and dry feeling. Though a little to syrupy and resiny. To much alcohol and bitterness to make this an easy drinker.

Overall, just a standard DIPA. Lots of bitterness and nothing else. Hop heads will love it. If you are looking for something else, keep on looking.

champ103, Dec 24, 2010
4.43/5  rDev +7%

On tap at TJ's 7th Anniversary Bash

A- cloudy bronze, fluffy 1/2 inch head that went NICELY to lace.

S- pine, pine, pine, and a bit of pine. Some grapefruit too with a sweet note.

T- solid tart hop bite (but not too sharp), with a finish of that nice hop sweetness. Almost a subtle hint of candied fruit.

M- smooth, but a bit flatter- ok for this brew, as the flavors compensate for the feel.

D- Solid- absolutely an everyday DIPA.

CraftAleRookie, Dec 15, 2010
4.03/5  rDev -2.7%

Growler purchased at DeCicco's in Ardsley NY on Friday.

Appearance: golden orange translucent body with a 1 finger white crown that shows some retention and lacing. Attractive!

Smell: A good showing of grapefruit, a hint of resin, and a touch of lemon.

Taste: Candied grapefruit goodness with a hint of alcohol. I'd give it a 4.2 if I could.

Mouthfeel: Thick side of medium bodied and quite chewy.

Drinkability: The high abv is a set back in this department.

koopa, Dec 12, 2010
3.53/5  rDev -14.7%

Aromas of pineapple and citrus with some hints of orange and grapefruit.

The tastes are initially hop centric but are balanced slightly by the pale malt backbone. Really no malt profile however. There's a crisp lingering bitterness that I am not a fan of but many people are.

The crispness of this brew is really impressive, but is really the only redeeming quality in my opinion. No where close to Sculpin IMO, so why should I have this when I can have that.

claspada, Dec 03, 2010
4.08/5  rDev -1.4%

Dry hopped with crystal and horizon hops

A - Served with a cloudy, burnt orange body...the head was creamy white and slowly faded into a thin cap...nice sheets of lacing

S - Big citrus hop aroma on the nose...grapefruit and orange leading the way...there is also some piney notes...a surprising sweetness is coming out from the malt

T - This one is more balanced in the beginning than I expected it to be...a quick blast of citrus hops hits you first, but is quickly taken away by the sweet, caramel malt...there is also a doughy presence given off by the malts...this grows as the beer gets warmer...the piney hops end the beer and ruin the balance...a nice, strong bitterness

M - Medium bodied...smooth but could have used a little something...bitter...alcohol comes out as it warms

D - This IIPA wasn't bad...great nose from the dry hopping and pretty balanced until the finish...my only complaint is the alcohol started showing through as the beer got warmer

thain709, Nov 01, 2010
4.2/5  rDev +1.4%

Served on cask at Al's of Hampden into a nonic pint glass. This one is dry hopped with Crystal and Horizon Hops.

A - Pours a hazy light orange/yellow with a thick two finger head with thick, sticky, lacing down the entire glass.

S - Strong pungent smell of hops with hints of grapefruit, tangerine, and mango with a slightly sweet aroma from the malt. A faint smell of caramel comes out as it warms.

T - Fairly bitter thanks to all those hops. Not as much fruit as in the nose, the malt seems to be dulling down those flavors a bit. A bit sweet from the grains. Very well balanced. Not as good as the sculpin casks I have had but still a very good offering from ballast point.

M - Medium-Heavy body and flavor with a good balance of flavors. It could use a little more carbonation is it appears a little dead in the glass.

D - Drinkability is fairly high on this one. I would like the hops to come thru a tiny bit more in the taste but still an excellent cask offering.

orangesol, Oct 29, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +4.6%

Hazy amber color. Aroma was heavy notes of floral, perfume, grapefruit, caramel, grain, mild fruit and a hint of grassy notes. Over the palate came oily and citrus liken feel combined with notes of perfume, grapefruit and good counter toasted malt and caramel. Full bodied with an average carbonation and dry oily texture. Heavy bitter and good counter sweet flavor. Lingering bitter dry perfume like floral finish. One of my favorite BP brews...

hophead247, Oct 18, 2010