Dorado Double IPA - Ballast Point Brewing Company

Dorado Double IPADorado Double IPA

Ballast Point Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: drewbage on 06-14-2003

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dorado Double IPA Alström Bros

3.76/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

22oz bottle poured into a large mug. Bottle code is DOR 44 ENJOY By 09/16/2013, so apparently I ought to pay a little more attention to the dates when I buy at Total Wine. But, I've already learned that I'm not very sensitive to the deterioration of hoppy beers over time.

Pours cloudy golden with a respectable pale head, long retention, lots of active carbonation. Smell is mild, grassy, bitter; fine, but not flashy.

Taste is strongly bitter, lots of pine, a little hint of honeysuckle.

Mouthfeel is dry, thick but not sticky. Overall, this is pretty good, but I'm not overwhelmed.

4.75/5  rDev +14.7%

4.27/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I poured this into a snifter since that is my favorite glass for IPAs, I know it isn't quite right but oh well.

Appearance - It is golden/amber, really beautiful hue typical Imperial look to it. I gave it a pretty aggressive pour that led to a head that lingered for a bit. Eventually it went away though.

Smell - I kind of get a fruity/sugary smell initially but maltiness really takes over pretty fast. I like the bready smell though.

Taste - The balance is pretty much perfect, the malty sweetness versus the hop bitter, it is nice. The immediate aftertaste is a little pungent for me though, only really detract able I can say about it.

Mouthfeel - Very smooth, that's all I can say.

Overall - It's not Pliny the Elder which I really like but it is in the same ballpark. That being said I am more partial to American Barleywines than Imperial IPAs so that kind of influences my opinion.

Dorado Double IPA from Ballast Point Brewing Company