Dorado Double IPA - Ballast Point Brewing Company

Dorado Double IPADorado Double IPA

Ballast Point Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: drewbage on 06-14-2003

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dorado Double IPA Alström Bros

3.25/5  rDev -21.5%

For a double IPA, this was probably the least amazing I've tried so far. The brew lacked any head and an interesting color, but was an ok light amber with some slight lacing. The smell was malt intensive and the hops weren't impressive. The taste was alright, but the flavor was subdued by the bitter quality of the hops. Piney hoppiness and not so rich malt flavor were abundant in an unfortunate way. The mouthfeel was overly bitter, but I found the body to be heft enough to carry the amount of alcohol. I was able to complete a pint, but it is not so drinkable, and will not be trying this brew again.

3.26/5  rDev -21.3%

Appearance is amber with a non-sticky white head. Aroma is buttered popcorn with a slight backing of herbs.

Flavor comes is ultra perfumey, with a butter aftertaste. Tastes almost like German Tetts (or maybe fuggles?). Pretty bizarre.

Mouthfeel is good and drinkability is alright. This beer is not the immediate lovefest you might expect after tasting the Sculpin, a beer where they used more accessible flavor and aroma hops. This beer is not my thing but definitely sets itself apart from other DIPAs. By the way, every time I burp I taste buttered popcorn.

3.31/5  rDev -20%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Pours a nice gold with a huge white head into my glass. I didn't realize that Ballast Point had something stronger than Sculpin.

Piney hops followed by a strong alcohol bite. I can also detect some citrus. Seems like a "top-heavy" kind of DIPA. I can get down with that.

A slight citrus edge is also present upfront. It definitely has that unmistakable west coast style. to it.

Woo, that alcohol burn is something else. It overshadows the hops on the tongue.

Nah. I'll take the Sculpin over this anyday.

3.33/5  rDev -19.6%

Kinda thin for a DIPA. Blondish orange and lighter in color than other examples from this category. Hoppy, citrusy, but no heft. Not too bitter, a little sweet. Left me wondering if the server had poured the wrong selection. After being reassured, I tried to evaluate it fairly, but I couldn't help but feel a little cheated.

3.34/5  rDev -19.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

3.36/5  rDev -18.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.37/5  rDev -18.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.39/5  rDev -18.1%

A - Beautiful golden color with a slight haze to it. A wonderful carbonation flows to the top of the glass. It displays a pretty, fluffy head that dissipates into an 1/8" inch alongside splotchy lacing.

S - On the nose there is a lot of pine, grapefruit, and tropical notes. There a loads of hops with a strong malt backbone. Subtle hints of lemon zest, oak, and alcohol reside in the background.

T - Wooo! I didn't expect this to be an alcohol bomb. The hops are nice, but the booze is overpowering! Pine and malt are very dominant, but again, it's hard to get past the alcohol. It ends with a bitter and malty finish.

M - Exceptional mouthfeel with a prickly carbonated feel against the cheeks. Love the feel!

O - Very dissapponting. Extremely disjointed and nthey need to add more of something to balance out flavor and alcohol. It tastes like an very boozy Hoptimum. I hope I had a bad bottle. Still love BP! May need a Sculpin to satisfy my palate.

3.4/5  rDev -17.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Bomber into Samuel Smith 12 oz. nonic glass.

Apprearance: A pretty beautiful hazy copper-yellow color in the glass, with a bright and moderately sticky amount of lacing that's pretty steadfast on the glass.

Smell: This is one of those DIPAs that bugs me slightly because even as I've been sipping on it for a while now, and even as it warms, there's a one-note kind of overtaking husk / grainy note that seems to be shrouding everything a little too much, which is not what I was expecting. To me, this reads as 1) Way too much hops, and 2) Too unbalanced. It's happened with a lot of breweries that try their hand at a double-digit ABV DIPA, and I didn't expect it from BP. Yes: some citrus, some floral, but not a lot I can get that's making me keep going back. Balance isn't here, and it's hurting the beer.

Taste: Same with the mouthfeel. Why does it need to be hopped three separate times if it's at the expense of harmonious and balanced malt characteristics? One thing it's absolutely not is sweet in any way, so OK, I guess that's a plus. But it becomes too bitter, bone-dry, and only slightly lingering on the tongue with, again, that husk and grain, and too-bitter fruit rinds and hop oils that are WAY too in your face. I can take it, folks, but I just expected more here.

Mouthfeel: Nicely medium-bodied for the ABV, with moderate yet bright and crisp carbonation. When the mouthfeel and look of a beer are its shining points, that's good, but overall not the best thing in the end.

Drinkability: For the QPR (I forget how much it was, but in the end, I paid way too much for it), I'm pretty disappointed. Ballast Point seems to keep reminding me of Trent Richardson's current Fantasy Football season: I always start him hoping for a lot of good things, but I "paid" too much for something that can't get above what a similar 5th round pick could do for another team with a worse offensive line. I won't give up -- and on the whole this isn't a bad beer in any way really in the grand scheme of things -- but man, this didn't hit the mark at all for me when it comes to what I expected, and I won't be going back to it.

Dorado Double IPA from Ballast Point Brewing Company