BC Hout - Ballast Point Brewing Company

BC Hout
No picture uploaded.

Ballast Point Brewing Company visit their website

American Wild Ale |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: TheLongBeachBum on 03-29-2006)
Reviews by MrHirschybar:
4.1/5  rDev +1%

7th taster at Port's Barrel Blast

A - Maroon, white head remnants, reminded me of grape juice with easily viewable carbonation bubbles

S - Sour, Sweet, Fruity - Cherry/black currant and vinegar - most recently reminded me of Oude Tart Cherry but not cherry - Black Currants

T - Light, sweet, fruits - cherry/plum - black currant flavor with a slight bitterness to the finish that seemed like apple and pear fighting to win your tastebuds

M - Light, highly carbonated - prickly feel, a bit carbonated even for the finish but worked well to make it refreshing.

D - A nice sour that I felt had a decent complexity, the currants worked well and played on my taste-buds - not overly sour nor overly complex, but a nice easy to drink sour I'd try again if I had the opportunity...

3.85/5  rDev -5.2%

Originally reviewed April 5, 2007. Tasted at the Pizza Port Belgian Beer Fest as "Hout Sour". A fresh blast of bright sour tannic earth and glowing peach juice. Pours clouded deep gold. No head. Dense and sweet, not a real light crisp one. But, carries a real package of flavor, including those American Brett flavors of coconut and lychee, unique and somewhat indescribable. Fringes of perfumy fig paste. Bitingly acidic but carrying great intensity. Towards the end, sourness building with faint acetone and grazing vinegars, before leaving in a new barrel. Interesting and unique for an American brewer of a sour.

4.08/5  rDev +0.5%

Served in a taster glass at the Old Grove location on 2/18.

A - Very dark brown w/ a reddish tinge. There is no head to speak of, yet some nice lacing is visible on the glass.

S - Smells like a sour! (my typical response to sours). Being that the name of this beer is Black Currant Hout, I'm going to go with the idea that the smell is mostly of currants. I've never had a currant outside of beer, so I don't know exactly what a currant smells like. It smells along the lines of RR's consecration. It's not overpowering, but it's good.

T - Fairly like the smell. Currants dominate the taste, but it's not complex, to me. Then again, I'm kind of a newb when it comes to figuring out sours.

M - It makes the mouth pucker a bit. There's no alcohol bite, and there's some mild carbonation present. It's also sour in the throat.

D - Take your Rolaids! This is most definitely a sour. But, it is pretty easy to drink. 5 oz was good enough for a sample of this rare beer. I did see a couple people drinking pints of it though. I think they're crazy.

4.2/5  rDev +3.4%

A: A brown beer with plenty of blood red notes to it and a noticeable absence of head.

S: A mix of sweet and sour currants in the nose with a bit of oak and just a touch of vinegar to go along with the lactic notes.

T: Not an overpowering sour by any means, but a nice lactic acidity, mild vinegar, and plenty of currants. The fruit skins really help to dry the beer out and provide a bit of depth.

M: A light bodied beer with a mild but tingly carbonation and a dry finish.

D: Not anything that will change the world, but a really easy drinking and refreshing sour beer.

4.7/5  rDev +15.8%

Presentation: Sampled (several times) at the 2006 - 12 Hour Belgian Beer Party - held at Pizza Port Carlsbad.

Simply listed under the “Draft Beer List” section of the Beer List at “#81 – Ballast Point BC Hout”. Served from a Beer Engine that was sporting an aged UK John Smiths Bitter pumpclip, so I added this Review as Cask-Conditioned.

A failing memory vaguely recalls that this is the Yellowtail Pale Ale with added Blackberries all aged in a Jim Beam Whiskey Barrel. This particular offering was supposed to be well over a year old I heard.

Appearance: Golden body with a lovely fluffy off-white head that had good staying power. A gentle swirl of the Festival Maredsous Glass revealed lots of finely dissolved carbon dioxide that produced an effervescent conditioning.

Nose: The biz!! A pungent grabbing acidic draw reels in the nose to closer examination. Dry and tart with hints that were like a dry wheat-laden lambic. Not that high in strength but what was there was revealing and very enticing.

Taste: Tart with a spritzy feel that accentuated the sourness, astringent palate which benefits with a smooth presentation. Oh so dry, hints of grapefruit. Puckering with a lovely sharp tangy cheek draw.

Mouthfeel: The conditioning was bold but finely dispersed and even. Feisty tingles on the tongue dual with the saliva inducing pin-pricks on the cheeks. Big feel to this one, a simple swirl in the mouth induces an explosion of flavors and sharp textures that lend a massive feel to this one.

Drinkability: Straight 5, this was one that I revisited once I had tried the new brews that I wished to sample. As the bottled beers started to drop and kegs kick, the end of Saturday night found me having at least another 3 of these marvelous brews. I could have easily drunk this one brew all day, no problems.

Overall: I don’t really know much about this one to be honest, except that I heard it referred to as a “Lambic”, “American Funky Ale” and an “UnBlended Base Beer for Ballast Point Specials” from various punters & beer geeks who asked for it and talked about it. I am sure the truth lies somewhere between the three descriptions. What I do know is that it was absolutely stunning and that I am very glad that I got to try this one.

After the excellent Ballast Point Schooner at the 2005 O’Briens Wet Hop Festival closely followed by the Ballast Point 3 Sheets Barleywine at the Pizza Port 2005 Strong Ale Festival, for my third Beer Festival in a row, Ballast Point produce the Beer of the Festival for me with this charming effort that really knocked my socks off from the first sip. Well worth trying if you ever see it on the bar - if you hear about it appearing in your neck of the woods, travel far for it.

On tap at the 2009 Pizza Port Belgian Beer Fest. I hadn't had a sour from Ballast Point since the Stone Sour fest so I was eager to try this.

Poured into a Chimay glass. The beer is a dark and transparent purplish color with a pretty cool looking pinkish head.

The aroma is sweet with some tartness. It has lots of currant and some cherry. Some vinegar is noticeable, but no alcohol. The flavor is tart up front, with sour currants, blackberries, and a touch of alcohol. The beer is sweet, but not overwhelmingly so. The finish is tart and sweet.

Medium bodied with a low level of carbonation.

3.7/5  rDev -8.9%

Labled as Ballast Point Hout Ont Moet Beer

Sampled on tap at the First Annual Stone Sour Fest, July 2007
Lightly hazy, with a copper tinted color. It is topped by a wispy light tan colored head. The aroma makes me think immediately of oak barrels and Bourbon; notes of vanillin, buttery oak, spicy wood are all quite dominant and noticeable up front. If you really dig around in the aroma you can sense a tart, aromatic note floating around underneath the dominant notes (seems lactic accented). The nose is just too Bourbon focused; I want more sour funk to be able to come through.

The flavor is quite tart up front and even makes one completely forget the Bourbon barrel note until after the first sip has slipped down the my gullet; then one notices notes of soft buttery oak, touches of hot Bourbon (though overall it is fairly smooth) and some almost tooth coating tannic notes. The barrel & Bourbon character melds much better in the flavor than in the aroma. It is interesting that the Barrel character somehow tempers the sour flavors and definitely it adds a palate coating character & fullness to the body that would not otherwise beer here. This is tasty, but too unbalanced in the end, though it almost pulls off the marriage of barrel and sour notes in the flavor at least.

4.18/5  rDev +3%

One of my last samples on Sunday at the Stone Sour Fest, was not going to try this until somebody told me what is actually was and then I got curious, reviewed from notes

A-Deep orange with a red tint, absolutely no head, scared it was going to be syrupy but was not
S-Blackberries, bourbon, vanilla, oak, peaches, brettanomyces, figs, sour apples, and cherries
T-Could oddly taste some Yellowtail Pale Ale in the finish, especially with the nutty finish that was also a little straw-like, very citrusy at times with tart cherries too, also a hint of whiskey, weird mixture but it really worked, enjoyable
M-Acidic, sweet, chewy, and dry mouthfeel, all over the place here, needed more carbonation, medium bodied, long lasting taste
D-Could have drank more of this easily, kind of heavy on the stomach though, alcohol is low, somehow refreshing

This was popular at last year's fest too and probably for a good reason, nice to see Ballast Point branch out even more this year with other two beers as well, hope this one is at their anniversary party coming up, would drink again, recommended

I'm not sure why this is retired, as I'm pretty sure I just had it at the 2008 Stone Sour Fest.

In any event, a deep reddish orange. Almost no head/foam whatsoever. Smells like cherry and funk; taste is much the same, cherry, funk, some sour apples, and a vinegary finish.

Despite the lack of carbonation, the mouthfeel seemed appropriate.

3.83/5  rDev -5.7%

I had this at the Descanso(LA) beer tasting a couple weeks ago and it was only my second sour(first on tap). I was actually surprised how much I liked it. It was also a great help in removing the spice out of my throat from the previous chili beer.

Appearance- Golden w/ lots of head.

Smell- Sour. What else are they expected to smell like?

Taste- Sour fruits and sour candy.

Mouthfeel- Heavy on the carbonation.

Drinkability- I could not drink a lot of it unless I had some complimentary food.

BC Hout from Ballast Point Brewing Company