Sculpin IPA - Ballast Point Brewing Company

Sculpin IPASculpin IPA

Wants: 1,223
Ballast Point Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: brentk56 on 04-02-2006

Originally named Northstar IPA. Debuted in 2005.
to view more.
Ratings: 11,441 | Reviews: 2,349
4.15/5  rDev -5.9%

Solid IPA. Very drinkable and well balanced.

An awesome beer. King of the readily available IPAs, possibly of all readily available beers, in Connecticut. Floral-y and Citrus-y as opposed to malty and spicy (like Founders Centennial or Dogfish 90min). Very refreshing and crushable in my opinion. I work at a liquor store with a great beet selection and its tough for me not to buy this every time.

If you like this and are looking for similar things try check out DC Brau's The Corruption or Finch's Hardcore Chimera.

4.72/5  rDev +7%

The only thing I don't like about the beer is the price. But with the taste, I can understand why it's pricier than other IPAs.

4.19/5  rDev -5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Light honey color, clear but pours out of a 12oz bottle with virtually no head. Nice, effervescent mouth feel without too much fizz. Slight mango, pleasant smell. Taste is smooth. well blended, starting with citrus and then a clean dry finish. No flaws here and very nice but not especially interesting. I would happily drink again but at almost twice the price of some other IPAs I enjoy, will only do so when I am feeling flush.

4.65/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Just had my first Sculpin. Wow. Top five IPA for me.

4.88/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Great IPA,the Grapefruit Sculpin is even better

Lives up to the hype. If you haven't had this beer you need to.

4.51/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Top 20 IPA I have had thus far in my beer career. Always a great choice if you have friends coming over who enjoy beer.

4.21/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

L: pretty Amber-orange with a fluffy head that dissipates into a thin layer. S: hoppy peach and lemon a little apricot. T: same as the nose, with some citrus peel and pith. Pleasant lingering bitterness. Tasty.

4.35/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I love the fact that this has gotten to be shelf beer. Some fresh Sculpin is always nice. A classic IPA. Back in '12, some friends and I had blind IPA taste testing, which included Pliny, and Sculpin won.

4.85/5  rDev +10%

Not a big IPA guy but really thought it was good. Tried it on tap at Danny K's in Anaheim California

4.94/5  rDev +12%

Smooth. Perfect balance. Hint of citrus w super clean finish. 99 outta 100

3.69/5  rDev -16.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

I had this in a pint glass during a 'tap takeover' at one of the craft brewer conference events.

The look is solid - a fairly short (3mm) white head that dissipated pretty quickly. The body is very clear, darker-than-mid yellow with a bit of amber.

Smells great -- big and lots of pine.

The taste falls surprisingly flat for me. There's a lot of very flat bitterness to this one and really almost nothing else. The flavor seems to completely loose the piney-hop in the aroma. I get very little malt. Balance is missing in this to me.

Good active, feel.

4.56/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

One if the best IPA's

4.93/5  rDev +11.8%

Perfect. If i could have one beer for the rest of my life this is it.

3.77/5  rDev -14.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I've had this both on draft and in the bottle, and I just don't get the hype. It's good and I'd never turn one down if offered to me, but I must be missing something, as everyone else seems to absolutely love this beer.

4.1/5  rDev -7%

Had off draft. Yes very good like most of their stuff. I wasn't blown away. I prefer grapefruit version

4.55/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Classic West Coast IPA. Pours golden orange. Citrus and hops both in smell and taste. Crisp and delicious!

4.89/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Nice light gold color. Great hoppy nose. Very crisp and clean. Slightly sweet first taste. Finishes with a balanced bitter, hops flavor.

4.93/5  rDev +11.8%

I'll never forget my first taste of Sculpin. It was a magical beer moment for me.

4.39/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Really impressive presentation at the new Ballast Point facility. Beautiful,big citrus hops with classic caramel malt backbone. Easy to see why this is so well regarded.

4.75/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Served from a can into a snifter

A: Bright orange, a finger of heady, no haze as I can see right through
S: Mango, peaches, grapfruit, orange, orange peel, lots of tropical notes and a little bit of sweetness in the background. Not getting a lot of malt, just a lot of very citrusy hop aroma.
T: Little bite of bitterness followed by a taste that follows the nose really well. Big orange/mango flavor with a bit of grapefruit. Finishes up with a bit of sweetness.
M: Medium carbonation/body. Finishes up nice and dry and keeps you sipping it very quickly.
O: Pricey but an excellent IPA and worth getting from time to time. Great if you enjoy really tropical IPAs that still have a pleasant bite to them. Love this beer.

4.64/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This beer is slightly underrated. I'd describe it as a highly drinkable IPA with flavor leaning heavily toward the citrus fruits department. I'm tasting lemons, grapefruits, oranges, tangerines, but not nectarines because those are not citrus. I'd give this a solid 4.5 at a minimum. People are saying that the beer has been outshined by newer ones but I doubt that...

4.44/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Very good brew. Dark golden color with good head retention. Nice lacing left on glass. Smells of citrus, strong pine. Very light on the palate, with tastes of grapefruit, pine, maybe a little orange. Lightly carbonated mouth feel. Overall excellent.

3.72/5  rDev -15.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Light color, medium bodied with a good hoppy balance.

to view more.