Sculpin IPA - Ballast Point Brewing Company

Sculpin IPASculpin IPA

Wants: 1,212
Ballast Point Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: brentk56 on 04-02-2006

Originally named Northstar IPA. Debuted in 2005.
to view more.
Ratings: 11,369 | Reviews: 2,335
4.93/5  rDev +11.8%

Perfect. If i could have one beer for the rest of my life this is it.

3.77/5  rDev -14.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I've had this both on draft and in the bottle, and I just don't get the hype. It's good and I'd never turn one down if offered to me, but I must be missing something, as everyone else seems to absolutely love this beer.

4.1/5  rDev -7%

Had off draft. Yes very good like most of their stuff. I wasn't blown away. I prefer grapefruit version

4.55/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Classic West Coast IPA. Pours golden orange. Citrus and hops both in smell and taste. Crisp and delicious!

4.89/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Nice light gold color. Great hoppy nose. Very crisp and clean. Slightly sweet first taste. Finishes with a balanced bitter, hops flavor.

4.93/5  rDev +11.8%

I'll never forget my first taste of Sculpin. It was a magical beer moment for me.

4.39/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Really impressive presentation at the new Ballast Point facility. Beautiful,big citrus hops with classic caramel malt backbone. Easy to see why this is so well regarded.

4.75/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Served from a can into a snifter

A: Bright orange, a finger of heady, no haze as I can see right through
S: Mango, peaches, grapfruit, orange, orange peel, lots of tropical notes and a little bit of sweetness in the background. Not getting a lot of malt, just a lot of very citrusy hop aroma.
T: Little bite of bitterness followed by a taste that follows the nose really well. Big orange/mango flavor with a bit of grapefruit. Finishes up with a bit of sweetness.
M: Medium carbonation/body. Finishes up nice and dry and keeps you sipping it very quickly.
O: Pricey but an excellent IPA and worth getting from time to time. Great if you enjoy really tropical IPAs that still have a pleasant bite to them. Love this beer.

4.64/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This beer is slightly underrated. I'd describe it as a highly drinkable IPA with flavor leaning heavily toward the citrus fruits department. I'm tasting lemons, grapefruits, oranges, tangerines, but not nectarines because those are not citrus. I'd give this a solid 4.5 at a minimum. People are saying that the beer has been outshined by newer ones but I doubt that...

4.44/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Very good brew. Dark golden color with good head retention. Nice lacing left on glass. Smells of citrus, strong pine. Very light on the palate, with tastes of grapefruit, pine, maybe a little orange. Lightly carbonated mouth feel. Overall excellent.

3.72/5  rDev -15.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Light color, medium bodied with a good hoppy balance.

3.96/5  rDev -10.2%

L- Golden orange

S- Some citrusy grapefruit, kinda sweet. Little bit of pine.

T- Grapefruit bitterness. Hint of some sweet malts.

F- Medium bodied and nicely carbonated.

O- This is really good, but I think it's overhyped. I'm sure this was a game changer when it made its debut, but at this point there are loads of other IPAs I'd rather drink.

4.01/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I would like to try it super fresh.

4.75/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Gold in color with tiny bubbles rising to the surface. Off white head that froths around the top and settles to a slight layer of bigger bubbles. Lacing is evident along the edges of glass as it slides down. Smell is of pine and some citrus is found in the background. Tastes of pine, grass, citrus and maybe some bitter hops are dancing on the tongue. Smooth on the palate and slightly creamy with the bitterness finishing it off. Overall, a fantastic IPA to indulge upon!

3.28/5  rDev -25.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I thought this ale was okay but for the price I was expecting to be knocked out. In fairness it was about 10 or 11 months old, maybe that left it a bit flat in taste

4.24/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Awesome IPA! Great go to Beer!

4.73/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

An excellent I.P.A. Strong piney smell, milder on the palate. Great all around.

4.67/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

For a beer I can find almost anytime, it's rarely missing from my refrigerator. I know a lot of people won't agree with this, but I also prefer the taste from a can over a bottle (poured into a 12oz snifter.

4.83/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 5

Great beer. Everything a beer should be.

Fantastic tasting beer. The best I've ever had!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!&

4.05/5  rDev -8.2%

A: Medium gold. Brilliant clarity. Nice white head. A little underwhelming in the size, duration, lushness. Little lacing.

S: Good mix of bready malt, grapefruit and lemon citrus, nectarine and papaya tropical components. Sits on a bed of pine. Green smelling, definitely a little white vinegar.

M: Nice medium body, soft but characteristically crisp.

T: Fresh cut grass, pine needles, resinous. Grapefruit, sweet and sour citrus: orange, peel, lemon. More sour and tart on my account than bitter.

3.79/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Tell me what I'm doing wrong?

I've had this beer ten times in various settings, San Diego even, and have always been underwhelmed given the hype.

I want to love this beer, but don't find it extraordinary at all.

One of the best, m

4.56/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

As far as west coast single IPAs that you can find on the shelf go, Sculpin is king. There just is not a better option. This beer has a huge citrus aroma, hops a-plenty yet still so smooth and balanced. As the glass goes down and the beer opens up a bit it just gets better and better. Had from a can today with the code 15050, so I think it means it was canned on the 50th day of 2015, so late February. Taste was superb, can't really find fault with Sculpin. This was my first IPA a bunch of years back when my buddy gave me a bomber, now it's a regular!

4.51/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Smoother IPA. Sufficient hoppiness. Pleasant aftertaste.

to view more.