Sculpin IPA - Ballast Point Brewing Company

Sculpin IPASculpin IPA

Wants: 1,269
Ballast Point Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: brentk56 on 04-02-2006

Originally named Northstar IPA. Debuted in 2005.
to view more.
Ratings: 11,629 | Reviews: 2,393
4.31/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

Very hoppy on the front and back end. Grapefruit, lemon aromas and tastes. Bitterness lingers. Solid mouthfeel that keeps the bitter notes

4.72/5  rDev +7%

Floral and fruity notes big but not quite imperial hop character. Accessible but far from compromising IPA

4.5/5  rDev +2%

Appearance - Gold/Copper/Inviting

Smell - Sweet/biscuit/floral

Taste - Rich/Strong/Hops/Pine

Mouthfeel - Crisp, seltzer

Very enjoyable beer.
Almost like a meal drinking this.

4.75/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Excellent IPA. One of my top 10 go to IPAs.

4.33/5  rDev -1.8%

Nice light golden color, great feel all the way through. Very nice citrussy aroma, clean crisp taste. I really enjoyed this one.

3.9/5  rDev -11.6%

Can. Had this on tap and it wasn't as impressive. Good bitterness. Oily yet dry. Grapefruit notes with nectarine. Average but very drinkable. Won't buy again due to the big price tag. Available IPA's similar to Sculpin in my area for $5 less per six pack. That's something you can't deny, especially if you have local IPA's that have similar taste profiles with comparable abv.

When you think you have tasted the best IPA, try this.

4.73/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Lots of flavors of pine, citrus and hops. Bold taste all the way through.

4.38/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Definitely an above average IPA!

4.79/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Wow, a really great IPA! Citrus bomb that smells and tastes awesome!

4.46/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Had a six pack of bottles, purchased in San Clemente. Very nice IPA. Citrus smells, lovely color. Nice hop taste with overtones of grapefruit. Very nicely balanced IPA.

4.68/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Very tasty. Great amount of hoppiness and backbone to carry it. Not sure why it's so dang expensive though.

3.84/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Bomber. Very nice floral and citrus nose. Taste is lightly sweet malts followed by light citrus and floral hops, and are then overwhelmed by hoppy piney bitterness. Pretty full body for an IPA, and a good bit of carb. This drinks more like a DIPA, and I'm not a big fan of bitter piney hops in my beer. Nicely balanced, but not my favorite take on an IPA. I would love to try it on tap to see how the hop profile differs. Similar to torpedo from what I remember, although maybe a bit more complex.

4.33/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Good lord. I first had a Sculpin IPA about two years back. Ballast Point has made one of the better IPAs I've ever had. A little heavier than comparitive IPAs but worth it for the ABV and myriad of tastes. The body is much lighter than you'd expect; caramel or burnished bronze, the aroma is fruity and pleasant. Carbonation isnt too high so the head--even on a bad pour--is pretty low.

4.68/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Hard to beat, one of the best IPAs out there

4.12/5  rDev -6.6%

I drunk this straight from the bottle, so unsure what the liquid looks like. Can't say much about how it pours or how the head is, so i'm just going to skip right to smell.

The smell is remarkable. I am new to this drinking beer as an art craft instead of an alcoholic beverage, so did not smell it before I took a sip. But after I had finished the bottle, I took the time to give the bottle lip a few good whiffs--boy was it floral. It's not a light smell; reminds me of honey all thick and syrupy.

Your typical hoppy sip upon first drink. Reminded me of the Sierra Nevada Torpedo, but where it differs is what lingers on the palate after. It's very sweet! A good thick, sweetness that's more floral than citrusy (is it supposed to be citrusy?). Torpedo has got a more bitter/malty aftertaste, which is refreshing. This is a good beer, but will feel like too much 3/4 bottles in because it is so decadent. You won't realize at first, because the sweetness takes a while to sink in, though I can definitely see why many would be a huge fan of this.

It is not a light beer, and also not very carbonated. This might be because I let it sit for a while before I had popped it open to drink it. Realized that this beer was also on tap at the bar I visited later. I should probably give this beer a try again, from a draft pour--hopefully then I'll get a better idea at what Ballast is trying to achieve with this beer. I liked it very much, but there is a time and place for this kind of beer--probably better enjoyed in cooler weather. When it's hot out I still prefer my lighter, wheat beer/pale ales.

4.25/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Lite amber, off white head. Hoppy citrus nose. Hoppy lemon and stone fruit (apricot) flavors. Medium lite mouthfeel. Overall excellent easy drinking well balanced IPA.

4.5/5  rDev +2%

Great, balanced IPA. Just the right sweetness too balance the hops. May be the ideal IPA.

3.35/5  rDev -24%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Yeah it's alright. Looks pretty thin. Not too much of a head. Aroma is amazing. Taste...well...More of a sipper. Drink too big of a swig and it tastes like cough syrup. I think it's a decent IPA and I'm glad I tried it but I probably won't have it again. Now Big Eye IPA, that one is killer.

4.27/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Amber color with a fluffy white head. Massive citrus and tropical fruit aroma. Light caramel malts keep the balance towards the hops. Medium bodied. A light, fruity, juicy, and bitter IPA.

I remember the first Sculpin I ever had was 4-5 years ago on tap at DBDG in NYC. It blew me away then and has been one of my favorite IPAs to this day.

4.48/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Long sought after and scored some for my birthday. Well worth the wait (for fresh) and the price, $15 a 6 pack. Hard to drink others having this one.

4.88/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Fantastic IPA! The gateway beer to hop addiction!

3.49/5  rDev -20.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Middle of the road. Good nose, decent taste. Not what I expected given all I've heard about it.

4.75/5  rDev +7.7%

velvety mouthfeel, healthy lacing. Huge citrus aroma with a warmer finish. Taste is as close to palate perfect for me. Lives up to the 13.99 price tag.

4.49/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had on-tap at the Main Street pub in Bally, PA - poured into a tulip glass.

L: Pours a deep clear amber with thick creamy white head. Great retention.

S: Citrusy hops on the nose, somewhat floral. Malts also detectable.

T/F: This is a great tasting IPA. Not as hopped up as an Imperial IPA, but a nice citrus hop backbone... a bit resinous, and good balance with the sweet malts. Very smooth and drinkable, with moderate carbonation.

O: Phenomenal session IPA, also great with a meal and as noted by many others this is a superb representation of the style.

to view more.