2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Sculpin IPA - Ballast Point Brewing Company

Sculpin IPASculpin IPA

Reviews: 1913

Ballast Point Brewing Company visit their website

Originally named Northstar IPA. Debuted in 2005.

(Beer added by: brentk56 on 04-02-2006)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sculpin IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 7,295 | Reviews: 1,913 | Show All Ratings:
PhxHorn

Arizona

Dammmmn, what a beer this is. It's not as intense as some IPAs, or even the Dorado DIPA made by Ballast Point. This is a light, subtle, fruity, exquisite IPA that you should make every effort to taste. Appearance is a rich orange color with fluffy white foam. Smell is an intense peach and apricot flavor. The taste, as I mentioned, is not as intense as say a Stone or Dorado, but is unique among the IPAs I've tasted. Peach, apricot, lemon, grapefruit, plus the bitterness you'd expect. Really incredible mix of flavors which hint more than overwhelm. Carbonation is just right. I don't know what more I can say, except that this is a very special beer.

03-11-2008 06:11:49 | More by PhxHorn
mikesgroove

South Carolina

So this one goes out to Joey. He had been bitchin at me to try this forever and ranting and raving about how it was the best IPA under the sun. Finally, it was in bottles and I could take him up on this. Yesterday afternoon seemed like as good a time as any to try it out, so went over to Dad's for a little while and popped this open while I was there.

Appearance - Now then, this is what an IPA is supposed to look like. The pour was a deep orange amber, and absolutely crystal clear. There was a radiance about it that was outstanding. Tons of carbonation rippling up toward the surface, just enhancing what already looked absolutely stunning to begin with. A huge three-inch head of white foam formed on the top and ohh so gradually settled down into a nice one finger high pillow that settled down over the top of the glass and never did leave. The side glass lace was the absolute stickiest I had ever seen, and I swear the outside of the glass was getting sticky from it. Really just the perfect looking IPA.

Smell - The aroma was the most pungent, ripping citrus hops you could imagine. Just absolutely the freshest grapefruit smell. It was really tremendous to be honest. Such a strong fresh, bitter aroma that I could have been in the middle of a hop field. Just the slightest bit of sugar on the back end sweetening it up, but otherwise this was just a hop driven monster of an IPA.

Taste - The flavor followed right where the aroma left of. It started out with just this dripping fresh hop taste. Really extremely sharp, crisp, and just unbelievably fresh, this was the flavor I had been looking for in the style forever. It was just tremendous, with the floral taste being almost bigger then the beer itself. Hands down, the best hop taste I have ever come across. So crisp and refreshing with a huge taste, I was in heaven with this one. As it warmed some slight bready characters came out, but nothing was toppling the huge hop taste. In fact, it made a nice transformation over to a pine resin like flavor as it warmed, and got even stickier. The finish was huge, dry, and bitter, perfect.

Mouthfeel - Very nice light bodied IPA, with a huge amount of carbonation coming off of it. Lots of bubbles rippling through it over and over, really just perfect here as well, crisp and clean, not too thin and pungently strong.

Drinkability - This is the IPA for me at least. I put down the bottle and was scrounging around the house looking for more. It was just that good. I could have easily had a couple more, would not have been a problem. One of the best ever.

Overall this was probably my favorite west coast IPA I have ever had. I had to score it perfectly, only because I could not find any fault in it. When I think west coast IPA, I think of exactly this beer now. If you love hops, you simply cannot be happy without this one.

04-15-2008 00:41:08 | More by mikesgroove
Mauerhan

i without any regret or any sort of second guessing give this beer a five out of five.

the color is beautiful. a rich golden amber color. thick white head that leaves some of the best lacing i have ever seen. as i look into my taster i am filled with a sense of excitement, and hell i haven't even smelled it yet. speaking of smell. JEEZ. awesome. hops with subtle hints of citrus and apricots.

first sip is amazing. it forces a huge smile onto my face. im pretty sure i could just walk in on my girlfriend with three other dudes and this beer could still make me happy.

i get subtle hoppy bitterness that fades into an incredible smoothness. my taste buds are hit by the sweetness. god this beer is amazing.

mouthfeel is great. the perfect amount of carbonation. smooth follow through and a great aftertaste. the burp flavor is great. you get a chance to try this i dont care what you have to do. you try it.

09-15-2008 05:16:48 | More by Mauerhan
torchednoodle

You can keep all your IR stouts. This beer has to get top marks. I've held off on reviewing it even though I've been drinking it steadily since its release a couple of weeks ago. Every time I put this stuff in my mouth it reminds me why I started getting into beer in the first place.

Pours a beautiful clear orange with outstanding lacing. The smell is grapefruit and pine. The taste is citrus, piney, and an aftertaste hint of bready goodness. Big hops indeed, but not obnoxiously so (if there is such a thing!)

This stuff is nectar to my palate! Drinkability is outstanding. I made three visits over the first three days to secure enough of this beer to last me through the NFL season, telling myself it's ok to spend this much money if this is all I'm gonna get to drink of this beer until the next release a year from now. And it is worth it. This is the beer I would take with me if I was stranded on an island.

I've had this on tap, on cask, and in bottle, and of course it's the same beer from the same batch. But the bottle always stands out to me, maybe because it feels like such a triumph to be able to drink such a quality world class brew in the comfort of my own home.

*edit 2/27/09* I've had three different batches of this beer, and I have enough currently to enjoy one every once in a while. I have to say, I drank one again tonight and this beer is STILL the benchmark by which I judge all other beers. It's not the crazy hoppiest beer you'll find, but it had enough bright and citrus hops and malt to satisfy me like crazy. Ballast Point is the SHIT.

10-05-2008 04:40:09 | More by torchednoodle
MiScusi

9/22/09
Just opened a bottled that was bottled about 6 days ago. Bumping smell from 4.5-->5. I don't know that there is an IPA that smells better than Sculpin. The mouthfeel is right on the mark in terms of dryness, it's not slick and gooey and hard to drink. And the color is exception as a clear orange. Appearance bumped from 4.5 to 5, and mouthfeel bumped from 4.5 to 5. Yep, I gotta give this all 5's because it is THE best IPA being made in the US right now, as far as my experiences have shown.

___
Bottle just purchased from the 3rd release. Bottle would be less than a week old.

A- Perfectly clear orange. White frothy head builds up leaves nice lacing. Soapy film remains on top of the beer the entire time.

S- citrus fruit hoppiness, mostly orange to me. That's the smell I get when it's in the tulip. However, in my nonic pint I get less citrus and more greenery. Smell is dare I say reminiscent of Pliny the Elder. Only reason I only rate it "good" is because at times I have to search for the smell, it's not as pungent as I think a great IPA should be.

T- There's a lot of citrus type fruitiness and this beer is more similar to Pliny than ANY IPA i've ever had. A medium bitterness lingers on the tongue afterward but it's a pleasant citrusy one.

M- It's full, slick, without being syrupy. It's definitely not watery though (not that I would have too much problem with that). Maybe one of the most full/buttery feeling 7% IPA's I've ever tasted.

D- this beer is in the upper echelon of IPA's I've had. Is it at the top? Probably not, but on any given day it could be. It's just a real solid tasty IPA that nobody who actually likes IPA's could ever feel disappointed with. There's nothing earth shattering to this beer, it's what a good IPA should be.

It didn't occur to me while I was drinking it on tap at the brewery, but now that I sit down with a bottle it just dawned on me how similar in taste (and somewhat in smell) this is to Pliny the Elder. I am definitely going to do a side by side of those two beers to figure out if my memory of a beer I drink semi-regularly is accurate with what I'm tasting in Sculpin right now.

___
12-3-08
Second bottle consumed at home. Yeah this beer is definitely a big winner. Bumping Smell from 4-->4.5 and the same for mouthfeel.

12-18-2008 01:57:06 | More by MiScusi
seanpachefddfa

Maryland

appearance- poured an amber orange with 1/2 inch thick white head. great lacing around the glass

smell- tons of citrus and pine hops sweet caramel malts. very floral.

taste- wow a huge citrus hop bite with some other fruit notes also like apricot and pineapple.

mouthfeel- medium body with good carbonation

drinkability- drinks way to easy for a 7% beer. this is a first class west coast ipa.

01-08-2009 04:55:49 | More by seanpachefddfa
raverjames

I have had this beer in a bottle, but the growler was the real treat. This is a wonderful brew in the bottle, but on tap it is just about the best IPA out there.
When you first pour it, all you smell is ruby red grapefruit. The aroma is so intense, I just can't get enough. It has a half inch head that dissipates slowly as you drink. When you take a sip, you get a load of simcoe and amarillo hops in your mouth. The citrus taste is just amazing. This is all assisted by the fact that Ballast Point went for one of the cleanest malt bases I have ever experienced. Honestly, I just drank most of a growler by myself. I can't get enough of this beer. It gets my vote as best IPA available. It tops Pliny in every way. Good job, Ballast Point.

Serving type: growler

05-13-2009 07:20:11 | More by raverjames
deadguykelly

On tap at capones in norristown

A: Great color, golden amber.

S: The nose is amazing. All the fruit you can handle. Really the nose of a double. Grapefuit, pineapple, hints of orange and other citrus

T: This may be the perfect beer. Not to high on alcohol, but extremely high on taste. Well balanced and full of everything I want out of an IPA.

M: Goes down smooth and doesnt linger more than neccesary. Sticks around just as much as needed. Not to sticky or syrupy at all. Great carbonation and overall feel.

D: If I had more access to this beer It would be my new standby. Was only able to grab one case this season and dont feel bad drinking it as we all know what happens to that glorious hop flavor when it sits around! extremely drinkable. Maybe to a flaw. No alcohol lingering on the tongue. Only 7% which seems low to us all now, but still not quite session beer material.

Overall, this is hands down my new favourite IPA. Would put this in a pespi challange with any brew out there. Hope everyone gets a chance to try this brew. Im sure it will be more readily available next season. My hats off to the people at ballast point! Cheers

05-25-2009 21:56:40 | More by deadguykelly
woodychandler

At long last, nepotism rears its ugly head on The CANQuest (TM)! For those not in the know, I write for Ale Street News (and others) while my cousin, Colby Chandler, is the specialty brewer at Ballast Point B.C.

Re. my earlier review of Big Eye IPA, flash forward about six months to March (?)/April (?) 2002 when I flew out to LA for the annual Black & Gold Brigade Banquet. My brother, Young Gefe, picked me up at LAX and we quickly tooled down to San Diego to hook up with the majority of the then-extant Chandler clan, especially at where Colby's late father, my Uncle Rick, referred to as "The Chandler Compound". Six Chandlers in one place at the same time?!? We are lucky that the universe did not implode. After a gathering at the Home Brew Mart, we repaired to the compound for a barbecue cookout and Colby brought out what we now refer to as "Sculpin in Beta", the original recipe that eventually became Sculpin f'real, f'real. He described it as a "new, hoppy beer with which [he] was experimenting." I remember that first sip as the heavens burst open and angels descended to sing in mine ears. I was instantly rendered insensate and Aunt Carol began to panic and dial 9-1-1 until Uncle Rick remembered that I could become catatonic upon being introduced to a new, highly hopped beer. I soon came to my senses and we ate dinner, but that was a near-orgasmic experience that I have yet to re-create. I remain a big fan of this beer and am equally elated to see it in a CAN!

From the CAN: "Handcrafted & CANned in San Diego, California"; "Dedicated to the Craft"; "A Trophy Beer That's a Testament to Our Homebrew Roots"; "our Sculpin IPA is a great example of what got us into brewing in the first place. After years of experimenting, we knew hopping an ale at five separate stages would produce something special. The result ended up being this gold medal-winning IPA, whose inspired use of hops creates hints of apricot, peach, mango and lemon flavors, but still packs a bit of a sting. Just like a Sculpin."

On the Crack, the puppy once again jumped out for a friendly lick of my face. The inverted Glug was just what the doctor ordered. Following the pseudo-cascading action, I was left with a finger of soapy, tawny head with decent retention. Color was a deep golden-yellow with NE-plus quality clarity and I CANnot stop thinking of my future 50th birthday in 2015, to be celebrated in Lincoln, NE with my Old Lady and Val MidWest. What a gas! Speaking of gases, the nose off-gassed a sensual smell of tropical fruits and mango was chief among them. My mouth was absolutely watering from the nose and I could not wait for that first sip. I tasted the hops just dominating my senses with their earthy, tropical fruit flavors and I thought, "F**k triple hopped Miller Lite! Quintuple-hopping is the way to go!" The finish was so mellow that I just laid back and allowed the sensuousness of the hops to take charge. If Big Eye was in your face, this was an iron fist gloved in velvet. You CAN try to get some of my sixer, but I'll give up the Big Eye before this, if you catch my drift.

The following is my original, on-tap review dtd 07-26-2009.

On tap at the Home Brew Mart facility where my cousin is the brewer! Primo Colby told me that it is being made in a bi-monthly rotation with Dorado because of the plethora of hops that are involved in each beer. He also told me that he could tell me all of the hops varieties that went into Sculpin, but he would have to kill me afterwards. Ancient Colby secret, eh? His wife and I agreed that my need-to-know was not that great.

I had some of this last summer while visiting Cuz Colby and it was an epiphanic moment! Right after I came to, he laid the bad news on me that it was being (temporarily) discontinued due to the hops shortage. Once his wife and my brother got my fingers freed from his neck, he reassured me that it would be back. Oakle doakle!

A finger of bone-white head with decent retention. Nose was uniquely fruity - mango, apricot, peach, orange zest. Seven or eight different hops varieties, depending on the batch, four kinds of malt and a Cali yeast strain combine to create the Tropical IPA flavor that trips my trigger each and every time. Coarse filtration to remove the dry-hopping solids resulted in a deep golden-yellow color with NE-quality clarity. BTW, Cuz Colby was forthcoming with some info and asked that his assistance be recognized. Mouthfeel was medium with a uniquely tart/fruity flavor that reminded me of popping an entire roll of Tropical Friut Life Savers (papaya, mango, apricot, peach) in my mouth. The finish was dry, orangish, yummy. Try some today!

07-26-2009 22:27:48 | More by woodychandler
oxnard111

On cask at Verdugo bar last night. The dude at Verdugo said all the places that got casks yesterday had a different type of hops. Ours had amarillo hops which he said made it a little dryer.

I'm not gonna be able to do a proper review, but let me just say this beer was stupidly delicious. Off the charts. Best brew I have tasted yet. Granted I am still a semi-newbie, but still, everybody there was drooling over this brew.

Appearance was awesome. Just what to expect out of the cask. Cloudy with a super thick sticky head. Smell was hoppy with citrus and floral. Taste was amazing, every drink was a pleasure. Mouthfeel was perfect, a little chewy. Drinkability was superb. I had 5 of them and every penny was well spent. I felt great this morning too, no headache at all.

I drove 1.5 hours for this and it was well worth it. Thanks Verdugo!

Serving type: cask

08-14-2009 17:03:48 | More by oxnard111
thedindaniel

A - Very light orange to darker yellow color, but transparent.

S - Piny but fruity for sure, like grapefruits for me.

T - Not overwhelming like some of the other hop bombs that exist out there but definitely not balanced, which I like. Almost not malt flavors at all.

M - Finishes very crisp and clean.

D - EASY to drink a lot of, which is deceiving with its 7% abv.

Once again this is not a balanced IPA so purists might hate on it a little. If you're a fan of West Coast IPA's get it for sure. It's my favorite IPA and I managed to even rank it the highest at a blind IPA tasting night, speaks for itself.

08-24-2009 19:29:26 | More by thedindaniel
cbutova

The elusive Sculpin has been caught. I would have saved this for #100 but it's an IPA and I wanted to drink it as fresh as possible. Grabbed this one at Table and Vine in W. Springfield today, they had 3 cases, I snagged the last two on the shelf (maybe more in the back). Pours a very golden color with a hint of orange, has a very bubbly two finger head that retains very well for an IPA, the carbonation on the pour is extreme, pour it carefully. Thick lacing is left on my pint glass as I drink this bad boy. Smell here is probably the best beer smell I have ever put my hands on. So much great things going on, a huge fruity aspect to the beer (mangos, peach, apricot, lemon), the sweeter fruits perfectly balanced by floral and piney hops, greatness. Taste is a bit different than the smell, less of a fruit characteristic but still enough to be very noticeable, a huge aggressive hop blast comes onto the tongue but backs off as you swallow to allow a very good sweet fruity taste to come through with an eventual delicious hop after taste. A very complex smelling and tasting beer. Mouthfeel is very well carbonated, medium bodied and a bit oily, maybe a TINY bit of alcohol warming but no alcohol taste = a very well balanced mouthfeel, I hate to give all 5s but its starting to look that way. Drinkability is great, the taste is enough for me to drink this all day long, its not filling, the price ($10) was worth it any day of the week, no bad flavors to ruin this one over time, and I would buy this one again over and over and over.

09-20-2009 04:06:11 | More by cbutova
aglose45

I was lucky enough to buy a case of this beer a month or so back and I am finally getting around to review it!

A: Beautiful golden color with a nice, barely off-white, fluffy head.

S: Smells of DELICIOUS HOPS! This smells so tart and citrusy, most specifically of apricots and peaches. Near the end there is a tiny bit of biscuity maltyness to balance out the hop aroma. This is the best smelling beer that I have ever had the pleasure of whiffing!

T: The taste is even better than the smell! It tastes just as the nose suggests. It is filled with citrus-like hop flavor, which is what I love the most in a beer. I am getting a ton of tart apricot up front, with some peach and grapefruit flavors as well. This is a nice dry flavor that I am getting from the hops, which is backed up quite nicely by a biscuit-like malt backbone. From the second this beer hits my palate until long after it is down the hatch, it is insanely bitter, and I love it!

M: Excellent carbonation for an IPA, a really sticky resin left in the mouth from the hops, and a light to medium body make this beer more than a pleasure.

D: This beer is so tart, so citrusy, and so bitter. There is nothign that I don't absolutely love. This is my favorite beer and I will always actively seek this beer out. Cheers to Ballast Point and this world class brew!!!

11-25-2009 03:42:35 | More by aglose45
ocelot2500

Arizona

Pours a clear golden with a ragged white head that fades quickly. Plenty of lacing on the glass.

Smells of delicious hops. A lot of citrus, pine, and some tropical fruits like mango and pineapple.

Tastes of the bright citrus up front with some sweetness on the backend. Plenty of fruitiness from the nose and the sweetness cuts the bitterness well. A lot of grapefruit comes through along with pineapple and mango; touches of apricot and peach as well.

Mouthfeel is a light medium and allows me to gulp this wonderful beer.

12-13-2009 03:22:55 | More by ocelot2500
ATraurig

South Carolina

A: Bright, clear, and golden with very thin white head.

S: Very strong, glorious smell. Very piney and citrusy. Notes of tangerine and grapefruit.

T/M: At first, it has a crisp, refreshing, citrus taste. It finishes with a piney, earthy taste. Stimulates all parts of the tongue. Phenomenal!!

D: I wish I could drink it all the time!

Overall: I've had so many good IPAs, and Sculpin has to be #1 on my list! The smell and taste will make you want to smack you mother! Buy it if you ever have the opportunity.

12-21-2009 02:08:40 | More by ATraurig
steevo

Bomber acquired through a worldly and generous tasting buddy.

Appearance - An impressive head disappeared into an equally nice lace.

Smell - Citrusy grapefruit and pine are very evident in the aroma.

Taste - Hops are balanced well with a light sweet malt.

Mouth Feel - Pleasantly lighter than expected.

Drinkability - This American IPA excelled my expectations.

07-06-2010 04:41:47 | More by steevo
bohemiandonut

Tropical flavors leap out of the glass, drawing you in. You draw...

Amazing. This is easily the most complex, beautiful IPA I've ever tasted. Superb mouthfeel with elegant balance of otherworldly hops and a citrus bite that starts bitter and leaves friendly.

If only this was an example of what for some reason are being called "Belgian IPAs" as of late. Than perhaps the brewers of respectable but unidimensional ales so prevalent on the west coast would have something to strive toward.

Simply a beer that could induce physical aggression upon under appreciation. God-tier.

(served in wine-glass, seafoam head, absolutely enviable lacing, like a goddamn tree trunk)

07-16-2010 01:40:05 | More by bohemiandonut
STEG

What a beer, my new favorite IPA. Pours a golden orange hue into a Portsmouth brewery tulip. Smell is exceptionally fruity with mango, apricot, tangerine and pineapple all intermingling with each other with pine undertones throughout. Taste is initially perfectly balanced with hops, bitterness fruitiness and sweetness, but just a smidge, and I mean a smidge too bitter on the finish. Mouthfeel is silky smooth up front with a prickliness at the back. The only hit this one had for me was its very very slightly too bitter finish but it was much closer to a 5 than a 4.5. A well executed masterpiece Ballast Point.

08-11-2010 23:23:02 | More by STEG
rudzud

A - Really nice straw color with a nice fluffy 2 finger head that has huge lacing. Not only does the head not go away there is almost a solid layer of lacing down the sides of the pint glass.

S - Just great! Tons of big citrus notes and tropical ones at that. Pleasantly surprised that theres more to it than just the typical grapefruit, namely pineapple, mangos, and a tutifruiti type smell.

T - Wow..this is just stellar! At the first taste I knew this was the best IPA I've ever had. Big hoppy notes but not the typical big bitternerss that would acompany such flavors.The tropical aroma's dont really carey over to the taste for me except for a bit og pineapple. When drinking though all I can smell is the pineapple which is so sweet and nice.

M - Thanks to the almost high carbonation of this bottle it remains crisp, almost light! Not heavy or syrupy at all.

D - Wow, just wow. Do you've got all the head/lacing, the intense fruity aromas, that taste, and the nice carbonation. A winner in all aspects. I knew when I first tried this I would be giving it all 5's and spent the rest of this bottle trying to come up with reasons NOT to give categories 5's. I couldn't come up with anything. This IPA was just that good. I guess my only complaint would be the bottle price I paid ($10.25). Really wish I had another few bottles of this!

08-15-2010 04:20:20 | More by rudzud
damato

Having read the reviews for this beer I was very anxious to give it a try. Unfortunately, it is virtually impossible to locate in the Sacramento area. In any event, I finally located some on a visit to the Bay Area.

I proceeded with my tasting with high expectations. I was not dissapointed. This is a truly special beer.

Serving: 22oz bottle poured into a pint glass

Appearance: Clear Golden color with an apricot hue. Two finger white head with good rentention.

Smell: A Beautiful citrus hop aroma that is very clean and fresh.

Taste: Outstanding citrus hoppy flavor with a very distinct apricot presence.

Mouthfeel: exceptional lively carbonation. This is how all IPAs should be

Drinkability: This beer goes down easy so proceed with caution.

It's like Racer 5 with a far superior mouthfeel.

My new favorite.

Outstanding beer.

08-30-2010 19:38:50 | More by damato
scottyshades

Growlers of Sculpin for $14 at Green's in Greenville, SC? Yes please

A: Pours a slightly cloudy bright orange color. The head is fluffy, billowy, and retains very very well.

S: In growler form, the nose is a little different than its bottled cousin. The hops are much more aromatic and intense, giving strong notes of pineapple, grapefruit, mango (not as much as the bottled version), lemon, and other citrus fruits. Not really piny or resinous ,which is what I prefer. Malts are subtle, but give enough balance. Truly awesome stuff.

T: Compared to the bottles, this growler tastes amazingly fresh. The hops are bright and flavorful- lots of citrus, tropical fruit, and zest. Bitterness is a little more up front it seems, but definitely manageable. The yeast may be the best part. It adds this unique flavor that is best described as "fresh". Malts balance a little, but this is just a hoppy beer.

MF/D: Carbonation is sometimes a major flaw in IPAs, but this was right on the money. Medium feel to the body. The finish is mango and pineapple juiciness with some bitterness. Alcohol is completely hidden.

Notes- bottle vs growler:
There are minute differences, but I would say that I prefer the growler version due to the freshness of the hops and the aroma. Its really close to call, and either way, its amazing and my personal favorite

Serving type: growler

09-03-2010 17:15:03 | More by scottyshades
ncredible1

A. Golden Orange Hue with impressive lacing. This is one good looking IPA

S. Super juicy grapefruit and tropicals (Pineapple,Mango,Tangerine)in the smell and flavor profile. This is probably the best smelling IPA I've ever had.

T. The taste is similar to the smell but with a heap of bitter hops. Grapefruit, pine, and more sweet tropicals. Some sweet pale malts round this beer out nicely. Definitely a sweeter IPA,and a great introduction to an IPA for those who have yet to attempt an IPA. The tast just keeps you coming back for more. Awesome!

M. The mouthfeel is superb. Hidden ABV. Just a well balanced Hoppy to Malt ratio.

D. A wonderfully crafted IPA, and the best one that I have tasted to date. This was a very pricey 22 oz. But if you are into the grapefruit tast of an IPA this hands is the winner.

10-19-2010 18:12:33 | More by ncredible1
hornitosmonster

A - Hazy Golden West Coast IPA
S - Hoppy with and citrus
T - pine, hop, bitter, grapefruit, excellent
M - Fresh Hops
D - Easy to drink, hard to find

Excellent example of the west coast style IPA. I highly recommend this. Buy it when you find it. In fact buy them all because they are hard to find.

11-21-2010 03:02:24 | More by hornitosmonster
mulder1010

Australia

12 oz bottle poured into a globe glass.

A-- Poured the typical IPA color, yellow gold. Lots of carbonation bubbles and beautiful head to this. Head stayed at about a solid two finger level. Well compacted, tight head to this. Just a little off white in color. Good, thick lacing on the sides of the glass.

S-- Mango, passionfruit, fresh citrus and a little bit of pine. Great nose and so full of flavors.

T-- Candied grapefruit, turns to fresh grapefruit, turns to pine and Carmel. YUM.

M-- Got how the grapefruit turns to several different flavors. Also get lemon, a bit of grass and then to bitter pine and grapefruit at the end. Long lasting pine and grapefruit flavor. Medium high carbonation and very creamy. The way the flavors change is excellent.

D-- Excellent. great beer. Well hidden ABV and for an IPA can have several of these. Bomber size is easy to put down. 12 oz bottles mean 4 is easy to do. Best IPA I have had due to the drinkability.

11-24-2010 07:00:19 | More by mulder1010
Sideswipe

On tap at my local pub. The beer presents itself in a pale orange golden hue. A finger of dense white foam dissipates quickly. Excellent lacing. The smell is pure citrus. Orange peel dominates followed by a slight hint of biscuity malt. Taste follows the nose. An explosion of orange, tangerine, and mango hits my pallet at first quaff. This is the juiciest IPA I've ever had! The hop bill sports seven different varieties yet the beer is perfectly balanced with a easing bitterness and subtle malt backbone. Finish is juicy, bitter and sweet all at the same time. Feel is medium bodied and carbonation is spot on. Drinkability is dangerously high due to the delicious taste and completely hidden ABV. This is quite honestly my favorite single IPA of all time. I have had it many times on tap, bottled and on cask and it never fails to please. Seek this out and enjoy!

12-24-2010 00:19:04 | More by Sideswipe