Sculpin IPA - Ballast Point Brewing Company

Sculpin IPASculpin IPA

Wants: 1,374
Ballast Point Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: brentk56 on 04-02-2006

Originally named Northstar IPA. Debuted in 2005.
Reviews: 2,308 | Hads: 12,505

On tap at capones in norristown

A: Great color, golden amber.

S: The nose is amazing. All the fruit you can handle. Really the nose of a double. Grapefuit, pineapple, hints of orange and other citrus

T: This may be the perfect beer. Not to high on alcohol, but extremely high on taste. Well balanced and full of everything I want out of an IPA.

M: Goes down smooth and doesnt linger more than neccesary. Sticks around just as much as needed. Not to sticky or syrupy at all. Great carbonation and overall feel.

D: If I had more access to this beer It would be my new standby. Was only able to grab one case this season and dont feel bad drinking it as we all know what happens to that glorious hop flavor when it sits around! extremely drinkable. Maybe to a flaw. No alcohol lingering on the tongue. Only 7% which seems low to us all now, but still not quite session beer material.

Overall, this is hands down my new favourite IPA. Would put this in a pespi challange with any brew out there. Hope everyone gets a chance to try this brew. Im sure it will be more readily available next season. My hats off to the people at ballast point! Cheers

Having read the reviews for this beer I was very anxious to give it a try. Unfortunately, it is virtually impossible to locate in the Sacramento area. In any event, I finally located some on a visit to the Bay Area.

I proceeded with my tasting with high expectations. I was not dissapointed. This is a truly special beer.

Serving: 22oz bottle poured into a pint glass

Appearance: Clear Golden color with an apricot hue. Two finger white head with good rentention.

Smell: A Beautiful citrus hop aroma that is very clean and fresh.

Taste: Outstanding citrus hoppy flavor with a very distinct apricot presence.

Mouthfeel: exceptional lively carbonation. This is how all IPAs should be

Drinkability: This beer goes down easy so proceed with caution.

It's like Racer 5 with a far superior mouthfeel.

My new favorite.

Outstanding beer.

From he tap to a pint glass.

The pour is a nice golden sunset with a decent cap on top hat lays down some solid lace. Getting my nose in his beer is a real treat. Straight tropical fruit with no hint of a malt. Taste us pretty much in line with the nose. Big, bold and juicy tropical fruits dominate. There's no substantial malt to interfere and what's there acts more like a bowl to contain all that fruit. Perfect in the mouth with a nice tickle from the bubbles.

My go to beer if I could get it on a regular basis.

At long last, nepotism rears its ugly head on The CANQuest (TM)! For those not in the know, I write for Ale Street News (and others) while my cousin, Colby Chandler, is the specialty brewer at Ballast Point B.C.

Re. my earlier review of Big Eye IPA, flash forward about six months to March (?)/April (?) 2002 when I flew out to LA for the annual Black & Gold Brigade Banquet. My brother, Young Gefe, picked me up at LAX and we quickly tooled down to San Diego to hook up with the majority of the then-extant Chandler clan, especially at where Colby's late father, my Uncle Rick, referred to as "The Chandler Compound". Six Chandlers in one place at the same time?!? We are lucky that the universe did not implode. After a gathering at the Home Brew Mart, we repaired to the compound for a barbecue cookout and Colby brought out what we now refer to as "Sculpin in Beta", the original recipe that eventually became Sculpin f'real, f'real. He described it as a "new, hoppy beer with which [he] was experimenting." I remember that first sip as the heavens burst open and angels descended to sing in mine ears. I was instantly rendered insensate and Aunt Carol began to panic and dial 9-1-1 until Uncle Rick remembered that I could become catatonic upon being introduced to a new, highly hopped beer. I soon came to my senses and we ate dinner, but that was a near-orgasmic experience that I have yet to re-create. I remain a big fan of this beer and am equally elated to see it in a CAN!

From the CAN: "Handcrafted & CANned in San Diego, California"; "Dedicated to the Craft"; "A Trophy Beer That's a Testament to Our Homebrew Roots"; "our Sculpin IPA is a great example of what got us into brewing in the first place. After years of experimenting, we knew hopping an ale at five separate stages would produce something special. The result ended up being this gold medal-winning IPA, whose inspired use of hops creates hints of apricot, peach, mango and lemon flavors, but still packs a bit of a sting. Just like a Sculpin."

On the Crack, the puppy once again jumped out for a friendly lick of my face. The inverted Glug was just what the doctor ordered. Following the pseudo-cascading action, I was left with a finger of soapy, tawny head with decent retention. Color was a deep golden-yellow with NE-plus quality clarity and I CANnot stop thinking of my future 50th birthday in 2015, to be celebrated in Lincoln, NE with my Old Lady and Val MidWest. What a gas! Speaking of gases, the nose off-gassed a sensual smell of tropical fruits and mango was chief among them. My mouth was absolutely watering from the nose and I could not wait for that first sip. I tasted the hops just dominating my senses with their earthy, tropical fruit flavors and I thought, "F**k triple hopped Miller Lite! Quintuple-hopping is the way to go!" The finish was so mellow that I just laid back and allowed the sensuousness of the hops to take charge. If Big Eye was in your face, this was an iron fist gloved in velvet. You CAN try to get some of my sixer, but I'll give up the Big Eye before this, if you catch my drift.

The following is my original, on-tap review dtd 07-26-2009.

On tap at the Home Brew Mart facility where my cousin is the brewer! Primo Colby told me that it is being made in a bi-monthly rotation with Dorado because of the plethora of hops that are involved in each beer. He also told me that he could tell me all of the hops varieties that went into Sculpin, but he would have to kill me afterwards. Ancient Colby secret, eh? His wife and I agreed that my need-to-know was not that great.

I had some of this last summer while visiting Cuz Colby and it was an epiphanic moment! Right after I came to, he laid the bad news on me that it was being (temporarily) discontinued due to the hops shortage. Once his wife and my brother got my fingers freed from his neck, he reassured me that it would be back. Oakle doakle!

A finger of bone-white head with decent retention. Nose was uniquely fruity - mango, apricot, peach, orange zest. Seven or eight different hops varieties, depending on the batch, four kinds of malt and a Cali yeast strain combine to create the Tropical IPA flavor that trips my trigger each and every time. Coarse filtration to remove the dry-hopping solids resulted in a deep golden-yellow color with NE-quality clarity. BTW, Cuz Colby was forthcoming with some info and asked that his assistance be recognized. Mouthfeel was medium with a uniquely tart/fruity flavor that reminded me of popping an entire roll of Tropical Friut Life Savers (papaya, mango, apricot, peach) in my mouth. The finish was dry, orangish, yummy. Try some today!

i without any regret or any sort of second guessing give this beer a five out of five.

the color is beautiful. a rich golden amber color. thick white head that leaves some of the best lacing i have ever seen. as i look into my taster i am filled with a sense of excitement, and hell i haven't even smelled it yet. speaking of smell. JEEZ. awesome. hops with subtle hints of citrus and apricots.

first sip is amazing. it forces a huge smile onto my face. im pretty sure i could just walk in on my girlfriend with three other dudes and this beer could still make me happy.

i get subtle hoppy bitterness that fades into an incredible smoothness. my taste buds are hit by the sweetness. god this beer is amazing.

mouthfeel is great. the perfect amount of carbonation. smooth follow through and a great aftertaste. the burp flavor is great. you get a chance to try this i dont care what you have to do. you try it.

12 oz bottle poured into a globe glass.

A-- Poured the typical IPA color, yellow gold. Lots of carbonation bubbles and beautiful head to this. Head stayed at about a solid two finger level. Well compacted, tight head to this. Just a little off white in color. Good, thick lacing on the sides of the glass.

S-- Mango, passionfruit, fresh citrus and a little bit of pine. Great nose and so full of flavors.

T-- Candied grapefruit, turns to fresh grapefruit, turns to pine and Carmel. YUM.

M-- Got how the grapefruit turns to several different flavors. Also get lemon, a bit of grass and then to bitter pine and grapefruit at the end. Long lasting pine and grapefruit flavor. Medium high carbonation and very creamy. The way the flavors change is excellent.

D-- Excellent. great beer. Well hidden ABV and for an IPA can have several of these. Bomber size is easy to put down. 12 oz bottles mean 4 is easy to do. Best IPA I have had due to the drinkability.

Dammmmn, what a beer this is. It's not as intense as some IPAs, or even the Dorado DIPA made by Ballast Point. This is a light, subtle, fruity, exquisite IPA that you should make every effort to taste. Appearance is a rich orange color with fluffy white foam. Smell is an intense peach and apricot flavor. The taste, as I mentioned, is not as intense as say a Stone or Dorado, but is unique among the IPAs I've tasted. Peach, apricot, lemon, grapefruit, plus the bitterness you'd expect. Really incredible mix of flavors which hint more than overwhelm. Carbonation is just right. I don't know what more I can say, except that this is a very special beer.

When you consider all of the IPA's regularly available in northern California including the most famous regularly available (although in limited supply) brew (nod nod, wink wink), I believe this tops them all. Having consumed these top IPA's numerous times and side by side, I have come to the conclusion that Sculpin tops them all. A rare combination of all that hoppiness has to offer in a very drinkable brew. Many may consider this a very hop forward beer but in the spectrum of what is out there these days, Sculpin offers a hop experience that is flavorful and very smooth. Best of the class.

I was lucky enough to buy a case of this beer a month or so back and I am finally getting around to review it!

A: Beautiful golden color with a nice, barely off-white, fluffy head.

S: Smells of DELICIOUS HOPS! This smells so tart and citrusy, most specifically of apricots and peaches. Near the end there is a tiny bit of biscuity maltyness to balance out the hop aroma. This is the best smelling beer that I have ever had the pleasure of whiffing!

T: The taste is even better than the smell! It tastes just as the nose suggests. It is filled with citrus-like hop flavor, which is what I love the most in a beer. I am getting a ton of tart apricot up front, with some peach and grapefruit flavors as well. This is a nice dry flavor that I am getting from the hops, which is backed up quite nicely by a biscuit-like malt backbone. From the second this beer hits my palate until long after it is down the hatch, it is insanely bitter, and I love it!

M: Excellent carbonation for an IPA, a really sticky resin left in the mouth from the hops, and a light to medium body make this beer more than a pleasure.

D: This beer is so tart, so citrusy, and so bitter. There is nothign that I don't absolutely love. This is my favorite beer and I will always actively seek this beer out. Cheers to Ballast Point and this world class brew!!!

I tasted this beer for the first time after I realized it won the World Beer Cup for International Pale Ale. Rarely for a beer drinker do you encounter the beverage that you feel was designed perfectly for your taste buds. I'm not sure if this is the best beer out there but for me it is at the top of the list. Although this beer is a lighter IPA it tastes hoppier then most DIPA's.

The thing that stands out about this beer is that when judging a beer there is at least one category in which you can consider it lacking in the smallish of ways. Sculpin looks, smells, feels, and tastes wonderful. This beer tastes like the brewers obsessed over every detail. I imagine the process, the type of hops and the amount, the amount of malts and all the fine details that went into this beer. Because; if I could replicate its recipe it would make me happy for the rest of my beer drinking days.

It looks golden amber, and has the absolute perfect lacing I have ever seen. If you wanted to make shapes out of clouds you could do the same thing with the lacing left on the walls of my glass.

Its smell is the beginning of its taste because the taste matches its smell very well. It has a very citrus smell to it. Like you mixed a bag of citrusy/peachy fruit and scraped the sides of each fruit to create a fruity aroma. You mix that smell with the pine that are so characteristic of a strong hop scent.

Your first taste is a strong malt dash quickly followed by the full bodied hop taste of floural, fruity and piny. The after-taste creates a piny twang and afterthought on your tongue.

This reminds of Pliny the Elder by Russian River but it is a lot more medium bodied and Pliny tastes aggressively piny.

If you don't like this beer then you don't like hops.

I have had this beer in a bottle, but the growler was the real treat. This is a wonderful brew in the bottle, but on tap it is just about the best IPA out there.
When you first pour it, all you smell is ruby red grapefruit. The aroma is so intense, I just can't get enough. It has a half inch head that dissipates slowly as you drink. When you take a sip, you get a load of simcoe and amarillo hops in your mouth. The citrus taste is just amazing. This is all assisted by the fact that Ballast Point went for one of the cleanest malt bases I have ever experienced. Honestly, I just drank most of a growler by myself. I can't get enough of this beer. It gets my vote as best IPA available. It tops Pliny in every way. Good job, Ballast Point.

This IPA by Ballast Point is outstanding. You won't be disappointed. The aroma is great. And the taste is even better. ABV's at 7% and you don't taste the alcohol. Not heavy which I love because you can enjoy more than one. You can taste tropical fruits in the beer like mango and pineapple. Not a fruity beer though. Defiantly an IPA taste for sure.

On tap at my local pub. The beer presents itself in a pale orange golden hue. A finger of dense white foam dissipates quickly. Excellent lacing. The smell is pure citrus. Orange peel dominates followed by a slight hint of biscuity malt. Taste follows the nose. An explosion of orange, tangerine, and mango hits my pallet at first quaff. This is the juiciest IPA I've ever had! The hop bill sports seven different varieties yet the beer is perfectly balanced with a easing bitterness and subtle malt backbone. Finish is juicy, bitter and sweet all at the same time. Feel is medium bodied and carbonation is spot on. Drinkability is dangerously high due to the delicious taste and completely hidden ABV. This is quite honestly my favorite single IPA of all time. I have had it many times on tap, bottled and on cask and it never fails to please. Seek this out and enjoy!

Normally, when you get a beer as hyped as this one, it is nearly impossible for the beer to meet expectations. Not so with Sculpin. It is pretty damn close to perfect. Just buy it.

. The cans are making this readily accessible everywhere which is great. This is a top notch IPA you will not find a smoother ale. I'm not gonna compare this to any other ipas. This beer is a classic if you haven't had it yet do yourself a favor and try it. if you can find the grapefruit buy all you find seriously though..

Just about my all time favorite IPA. What can I say to start it off... Its juicy, floral, fresh and crisp. Ballast Point truly made a world class beer. The nose has pleasant notes of lemon, tangerine, peach and pine. It is floral and light with fresh hints of melon, honey, and many citrus flavors that all come together with a crisp bite and a dry, yet juicy finish. I always look for that special beer which hits me as a masterpiece keeps me coming back to get more and more. Sculpin IPA truly fills that title. To me, its perfect. It is a testament to what creativity and experimentation can produce. Give it a try.

appearance- poured an amber orange with 1/2 inch thick white head. great lacing around the glass

smell- tons of citrus and pine hops sweet caramel malts. very floral.

taste- wow a huge citrus hop bite with some other fruit notes also like apricot and pineapple.

mouthfeel- medium body with good carbonation

drinkability- drinks way to easy for a 7% beer. this is a first class west coast ipa.

An awesome beer. King of the readily available IPAs, possibly of all readily available beers, in Connecticut. Floral-y and Citrus-y as opposed to malty and spicy (like Founders Centennial or Dogfish 90min). Very refreshing and crushable in my opinion. I work at a liquor store with a great beet selection and its tough for me not to buy this every time.

If you like this and are looking for similar things try check out DC Brau's The Corruption or Finch's Hardcore Chimera.

This is what IPA's want to be when they grow up. The smell is amazing, the taste is transcendent. This beer comes as close to perfection as humanly possible. I hope I can find it on tap someday.

excellent in a bottle. doesn't have that annoying pine resin over-IPA thing. even better on nitro-tap or tap. this is my favorite and i've tried more or less all the usual IPAs. ballast point also has a couple other nice ales, but this is my favorite.

This pours cloudy golden with nice head and juice resin lacing. The smell is floral and mildly fruity. The flavor starts with a crisp bite but turns smooth with a subtle amount of fruit and punch-in-the-face hops. The flavor works through bitterness but it does not take over. I can taste some pleasant grassiness…but not overpowering. The whole feel is pretty much here and gone, but I would not classify it as “rounded” because of the lack of sweet malt. I love this west coast style, and would easily put this beer in my top ten. If you are looking for a rounded IPA with malt and hops at war, this is not it. If you are looking for awesome hop bomb that is easy to drink, this is a must try. Delicious.

I don't believe I've ever given a perfect score, but this beer is amazing. It pours a golden orange with a thin white head. Excellent retention and lace. Aroma is of fruits,spice,grassy hops. Body is solid, and nicely carbonated. Taste is an explosion of fruity hops. Crisp and smooth with a great finish. I'm at a loss for words. I gave this beer a perfect score, because for me there is nothing that could be done to improve it. Go out and find this beer if at all possiable. EXCELLENT!

Pours a bright, vivid, orange-gold color, topped with a nice little puff of white foam. Excellent lacing, sheeting down the glass all the way to the bottom.

Smells so bright and citrusy. Resinous hops and more hops. It's like olfactory sunshine. The malts are very clean and don't offer much resistance to the insistent hop scent that wafts up the minute I cracked my first can.

The flavor opens with clean toasted malt flavor, barely a hint of grass or pear esters, moving lightning quick into one of the brightest, most gloriously balanced hop finishes I've ever experienced. It's just pure west coast hoppage. Spicy, citric, resinous and floral. If you love hops, this is the beer you want to be drinking. The balance is pretty impressive. The hop flavors dominate the beer, but never once do I feel like the bitterness is overpowering. At first, I felt like the body may be a touch thin, but if it were any denser, it wouldn't allow the hops to dance so easily from front to back across each sip. Peppy carbonation adds to the bright liveliness. Somehow this brew manages to maximize hop enjoyment while maintaining terrific drinkability. A masterpiece.

This might be the perfect, definitive american IPA.

If only this stuff wasn't so overpriced, I would have nothing but Sculpin in my fridge. The amount of bitter hoppiness isn't overwhelming and perfectly complimented with the fruity and tropical flavors. Everything in this brew is in perfect harmony with each other.

Had countless bottles and cans of these, in San Diego and even a Houston dinner movie theater had them

This is the best IPA I've ever consumed. In fact, it turned me into an IPA man! I crave the hops finish at times which has never seemed like a possibility before.

Sculpin IPA from Ballast Point Brewing Company