Sculpin IPA - Ballast Point Brewing Company

Sculpin IPASculpin IPA

Wants: 1,099
Ballast Point Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: brentk56 on 04-02-2006

Originally named Northstar IPA. Debuted in 2005.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sculpin IPA Alström Bros
1.25/5  rDev -71.7%

1.48/5  rDev -66.4%

1.5/5  rDev -66%

1.64/5  rDev -62.8%

1.69/5  rDev -61.7%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

Really weak all the way around

1.75/5  rDev -60.3%

1.76/5  rDev -60.1%

1.98/5  rDev -55.1%

I used to really love Sculpin. I would periodically stop by the Scripps Ranch brewery and fill up a growler at least once a month. Many times I'd stop by the brewery just to get a pint. Life was good, and I was excited to have such a world class brew within a few minutes of my house.

Then something changed. I'm not sure what - the hops, the blending, whatever - I'm not a brewer so I can't explain it. I'd say it happened about a year ago. The aroma changed. The taste drastically changed. It just wasn't the beer I fell in love with. Tropical notes all but vanished. The bitterness was heightened. The fresh piney hints turned sour and "urinal-like."

Maybe my tastes have changed. I guess it's possible. Maybe I need to visit the Home Brew Mart location for a final test since all of this ranting is based from multiple, different growlers and pints at the Scripps tasting bar. But each pint and growler fill pushes me away. Last night I did the unthinkable: drain poured a 1/2 growler of this mess.

If there really is an alternate recipe, please BP go back to your roots. Let me once again give this golden drink the score it deserves.

1.98/5  rDev -55.1%

I will be the first to review this beer honestly.

It pours cloudy with an off white soapy head (how anyone could rate appearance any higher is beyond my imagination)

smell wasnt bad but wasnt great. hoppy if you like that but nothing special. i would say average.

taste? over complicated, involved, and not very likeable IPA.

mouthfeel medium body with a strange full/bitter aftertaste

overall? this is exactly what beer shouldnt be. It is like a 6 year old was given some beer ingrediants and tried to make it....or like an adult tried to outsmart the beer drinking population and failed miserably.
why must IPA brewers overcomplicate beer? its like they want you to slowly sip it, say you've had enough, but then you can be proud you tasted something obscure.
i rathe enjoy what i am drinking and when i am finished i can have another if i am still thirsty.

2.25/5  rDev -49%

2.25/5  rDev -49%

2.3/5  rDev -47.8%

Hops, or more precisely, grapefruit pith, takes over the taste totally. There is just nothing else to say.

If you like this particular hop profile, to the exclusion of every other taste, you'll think this is great. To me it's a stab to the root of my tongue. It's not a beer flavor, it's a chemical link to a very specific pain receptor.

Nice aroma, though. The usual orangey amber in the pint glass. I thought I would try this again since it's been a couple of years. But I arrive at the same conclusion: total bitterness. First glass out of the keg at Quality Social in San Diego. Couldn't be fresher.

2.48/5  rDev -43.8%

2.5/5  rDev -43.3%

I get a very strong tea flavor from Sculpin. I don't understand the hype or why people are willing to pay $16 for a 6 pack.

2.52/5  rDev -42.9%