1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Sculpin IPA - Ballast Point Brewing Company

Sculpin IPASculpin IPA

Reviews: 1912

Ballast Point Brewing Company visit their website

Originally named Northstar IPA. Debuted in 2005.

(Beer added by: brentk56 on 04-02-2006)
Ratings: 7,266 | Reviews: 1,912 | Show All Ratings:
Apellonious

4.29/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

From a growler from FMcD's poured into a tulip glass. First pour from a fill from three hours earlier.

A - Clear golden orange, with a one finger head that quickly moves to a thin lace.

S - The first whiff of this is absolutely magnificent. Pine, hops, grapefruit, and some orange citrus. A tinge of sea salt. It smelled great on the pour at the store from six feet away.

T- Up front hops and citrus, with a heavy dose of bready malts on the finish. Other pine and salt notes are present as well.

M - Tends toward the thin, sharp, watery side, at least at first, then smooths some toward the end of the glass.

O - I had been looking forward to trying this for quite some time, and it just began to appear here recently. The nose alone makes this an impressive IPA. There is a good balance taste wise, with the hops winning out in the end. Recommended.

04-12-2014 22:34:15 | More by Apellonious
EdwardK77

4.5/5  rDev +2%

I had this after a series of double IPA's but it still held its own. Albeit in a slightly lower abv way. This ale had a nice head, excellent aroma, and great mouthfeel. There was an easy drinkability to this IPA. There was more bitterness than sweetness present but it was definitely in balance. Would definitely drink this one again.

04-05-2014 14:53:58 | More by EdwardK77
eepound2

Georgia

4.69/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is one of my favorite IPA'S as I drink it on a fairly regular basis. This review is from my growler pour, but I have also had it from a bottle and tap at a local pub. Each time, this beer is smooth, rich in aroma and taste, and never disappoints.

I am a fan of most things apricot and this Sculpin has solid notes of them, along with other strong citrus hints. Since this is available to me often, I may not appreciate it to its full extent. This is a fantastic IPA from ballast point and I rate it as one of my top 5 IPA'S right near cigar city's jai alai. They are both citrus oriented and very drinkable.

Enjoy them as much as possible!

04-05-2014 02:05:05 | More by eepound2
Goliveidaho

Idaho

4.19/5  rDev -5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I am nuts about Sculpins little brother, Big Eye, so I have been waiting on Brewforia here in Boise to tap into the Sculpin. Poured bright into a 12 oz glass. Head in moderation, carbonation delicate. Aroma like slicing a grapefruit in half- fresh, clean,inticing. Mouth feel- the Sculpin is break dancing on my palette. Of course grapefruit, tangerine,floral oils, but not nearly as fluent as Big Eye. This beer is bold yet exquisite what ever that means in beer,I guess in your face good. Finishes like a world glass IPA should, balanced, complex ,mystifies the taste buds. Hats off again to Ballast Point. Great beer. Cheers!

01-26-2014 21:59:41 | More by Goliveidaho
Mycltbeer

4.64/5  rDev +5.2%

This is as close to perfect as you want for an American IPA.

First of all the color is slightly opaque which is what I'm looking for in an IPA

Secondly the taste. Not over bitter but certainly bitter enough on the palate that the taste is still smooth.

Since I was drinking it from a growler when I pour it I'm looking for about a half an inch of head at the top of the glass and it certainly met that criteria. The head stayed with the beer pretty much to the bottom of the drink.

To me this is the standard that I'm looking for when I choose an American I PA

11-23-2013 18:43:02 | More by Mycltbeer
SDBP123

This is a great beer, but between this and the longfin IPA I'd take the longfin.
This has an aftertaste I can't exactly make out but it seems to be an excessive bitterness from the hops. Regardless of the aftertaste it starts off great and goes down smooth.
Ballast Point remains my most favorite brewery from SD.

10-20-2013 23:58:35 | More by SDBP123
Ego

3.63/5  rDev -17.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

eyes...
super clean and bright orange hue, 1 full finger of nicely stacked white head, a decent amount of carbonation is bubbling up from the bottom keeping the head akimbo, nothing unusual here, kind of standard plus but nothing is off at all

nose...
slightly green hop aroma with a leaning towards grapefruit and citrus notes, some tropical sweetness in the back under the hop blanket, pretty standard fare

taste etc...
nicely carbonated, much like everything else in this brew this is sort of your average IPA (not that that is a bad thing), decent hop and bitter bite, a little kick in the ABV, mild fruit flavor, the mouthfeel is really nice on this one, sort of just slick enough to coat but yet drys up nicely inviting the next sip

verdict?
pretty standard (good) IPA, definitely try it on tap if it is an option, nice in all categories just nothing mind blowing, a well crafted IPA

08-04-2013 05:25:27 | More by Ego
Rodster

Oregon

4.6/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Smell is fragrent floral and a little spicy, the taste matches the smell closely with no offnotes, doesn't have the silky or somewhat viscous mouthfeel that I prefer in my favorite IPAs but it is smooth nonetheless. Amber color with a creamy head. From my own personal experience, I consider this a top tier IPA. It is on my short list of IPAs to seek out when I'm making a beer selection...

07-19-2013 15:05:22 | More by Rodster
danfouts14

Literally the best IPA on the planet. If you're lucky enough to make it to the brewery when they have their special Habanero brew, you're in for a treat. Sculpin IPA infused with with the spice of Habenero peppers...you'll have to taste it to understand. Very spicy, but the spice and the bitterness of the IPA blend perfectly.

02-17-2013 03:53:29 | More by danfouts14
JamesShoemaker

4.38/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Grolwer poured into my snifter.

A - very light, almost pilsner-yellow out of the bottle, but it settles orange and amber. Not much head on the forced pour, but that's not terribly surprising, given the low ABV. I love beers that deceive with their pale color.

S - delicious. The hops are so sweet and citrusy on the nose, but you'd never expect the force of them from such a modest looking beer. The body is so odorous in fact that it almost smells like a simple syrup.

T - pretty good, but not nearly as complex. Some nice biting citrus right on the front that recedes quickly into sweetness. Very prominent grapefruit.

M - also good. Sculpin is a little too carbonated for my taste, but it fades after an initial bite into a sweet, mellow cling. Bitterness at first, but your mouth is left with sweet, sticky (but not syrupy) hops. Very tasty.

O - my second Ballast Point beer (first is VaS) to land in my top twenty all time. Very fine example of a single IPA. Could easily get a sixer and sip throughout the day.

EDIT 2/27/13: I purchased a growler fill of Sculpin at a local bottle shop; I'm giving the mouthfeel and the taste an additional .25 in the new format. Blew me away.

02-09-2013 01:11:48 | More by JamesShoemaker
bambam2517

Arizona

4.25/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

From the growler (filled a day prior) to a pint glass, served at 42F.

A - Amber body with some tight, lasting carbonation and even with a conservative pour blows up into a creamy, golden foam that really sticks around. Off to a great start, among my best in terms of appearance.

S - Grapefruit dominates! Pineapple and orange are present, and a background of resinous pine hops. I like this, but it is not so otherworldly as I'd heard. O'dell Myrcenary is a favorite of mine, and it has a similar profile with more complexity. So this one's great, but I can't justify throwing out a truly standout rating again.

T - Really nice, the grapefruit is the star and the other flavors marry in nicely. Its fresh and citrusy like a hefe or wit, but it adds a bitter hoppy punch that you can't find in the wheat beers. Tasted the same from first sip to last, nothing more developed but I think theres something positive to be said for that character too. You know what you're going to be getting and know its going to be excellent.

M - Great when quaffed, feels frothy and wet in the mouth and dries up nicely as it goes down. Just a tinge too bitter on the finish for my taste though, wears down the palate over the course of a pint. Next time, 12oz. in a pils or flute glass, really accentuate that appearance and not so much that it overwhelms.

O - An excellent beer, i think its ratings are inflated a bit but I am satisfied enough to say its in the ballpark with my "tops".

01-28-2013 17:32:12 | More by bambam2517
topfloor

Arizona

4.48/5  rDev +1.6%

I tried a sample of this on a whim and quickly decided to take a growler home to indulge in.

The head and color expose some of the secrets of this ale. The one inch head is off white with some larger bubbles scattered throughout followed by the butterscotch color of the brew.

The smell is complex. Each pass was different. The first being floral. The second being piney and citrusy with a slight alcohol nose.

At first this ale tastes like it may be malty and competetive but the hops quickly kick with pine and grapefruit. It tastes like the malt may have been added late leaving just the hint of sweetness and none of the heavy malt taste. The alcohol is definately present upon swallowing and the hops are noisy and not in a hurry.

The mouth I rated least as it feels a bit heavy and wet much like an East Coast IPA but soon gives way to the joy of a well balanced brew. Carbonation is medium and just about right.

This IPA is on the verge of an Imperial but oh-so-fun to drink. It's complexity, rawness, and yeastiness reminds me of a smoother finishing Pliny the Elder. Not quite as dry as Stone and very well balanced.

01-01-2013 04:49:46 | More by topfloor
Kendo

4.43/5  rDev +0.5%

A: Poured from the growler into a Duvel tulip. Bosy is clear orangey-amber that appears more golden in color when backlit. Small head of white that leaves good splotchy lace with each sip.

S: Hops. Citrusy -- grapefruit and oranges - and plenty of apricot. Touch of pine in the background.

T: Honeyish sweet malt up front is followed by apricot. Also hop bitterness (lemony) and oranges, with a touch of grapefruit and tropical fruit salad. Hint of spice too.

M: Slight slickness or oily feel to it that I don't recall from having it on tap or from the bottle. Call it medium in heft, maybe a touch heavier.

D: Good stuff.

10-27-2012 02:04:46 | More by Kendo
NiceTaps

4.45/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I was lucky to find this at the local growler station. I poured it into a fine tulip glass.

A- great looking copper-orange color with remarkable clarity for the style. Mild carbonation, 1.5 finger head with some lacing.
As a compliment, it looks 'light'.

S-a citrus nose, not overpowering. The notes are lemon and peach, milder citrus aromas to me compaerd to grapefruit. A lively nose with a touch of alcohol.

T-Now the citrus flavors come on strong with a touch of pine and malt sweetness. Very flavorful.

M- it's light for the style but I rate it a 4.0 because the IBU is spot on. Not much carbonation-but it is a growler so...

O-I was looking forward to this and it came through. It represents the American IPA style nicely.

06-01-2012 23:19:04 | More by NiceTaps
Durge

Connecticut

4.08/5  rDev -7.5%

A light yellow copper color with a sturdy white head and fantastic lacing. The aroma offers a floral sweetness and mild citrus hop. Very pleasant but not powerful. The first swallow gets tasty grainy bread with a polite lemon overtone. Almost a rye quality, grassy too. A medium bodied brew with lightly viscous, yet peppery feel. I consider it to have light but full carbonation as well. Highly drinkable and understandably popular!

04-08-2012 03:08:33 | More by Durge
chinchill

4.38/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours an orange-amber with a very slight haze and a smallish off-white head.

Exceptionally fruity aroma, featuring oranges and other citrus fruits. Some caramel here too. In fact, the aroma seems markedly sweet. Still, this much hop aroma can indicate a rather bitter brew; such is not the case here. The flavor is actually rather tame for style since there's plenty of sweet malt to partially counter the hop bitterness. No question, however, that this leans to the bitter side, as it should, and eventually one is left with an aftertaste consisting of hoppy, grapefruit bitterness. The premier feature of this IPA, however, is the powerfully fruity aroma and flavor. This actually tastes like it was somehow made with a citrus punch featuring tangerines. [Citra hops?]

M: very smooth; medium body; light harshness/bite from 7% ABV which is otherwise not evident in tasting.

O: an outstanding IPA for those who, like me, are particularly fond of a citrusy IPA.

02-26-2012 20:31:15 | More by chinchill
jamex

1.93/5  rDev -56.2%

I used to really love Sculpin. I would periodically stop by the Scripps Ranch brewery and fill up a growler at least once a month. Many times I'd stop by the brewery just to get a pint. Life was good, and I was excited to have such a world class brew within a few minutes of my house.

Then something changed. I'm not sure what - the hops, the blending, whatever - I'm not a brewer so I can't explain it. I'd say it happened about a year ago. The aroma changed. The taste drastically changed. It just wasn't the beer I fell in love with. Tropical notes all but vanished. The bitterness was heightened. The fresh piney hints turned sour and "urinal-like."

Maybe my tastes have changed. I guess it's possible. Maybe I need to visit the Home Brew Mart location for a final test since all of this ranting is based from multiple, different growlers and pints at the Scripps tasting bar. But each pint and growler fill pushes me away. Last night I did the unthinkable: drain poured a 1/2 growler of this mess.

If there really is an alternate recipe, please BP go back to your roots. Let me once again give this golden drink the score it deserves.

01-31-2012 20:30:13 | More by jamex
Cisco619

3.63/5  rDev -17.7%

64 oz growler poured into Duvel tuip several times. This is a staple in my fridge, I felt it was time to review it.

A: Golden amber that has a lingering, stark white head. The head dissipates to a filmy cap that covers the top of the brew. Clear & paints my palm golden honey hue akin to a San Diego summer sunset. California in a glass.

S: Slight mango scent greets the nose that is tempered with an orange zest. A slight sweetness follows that ends in a dank hop aroma. Quite the balance of the hops is achieved, creating an intoxicating blend that draws you in.

T: Dank hops with a citrus zest. The hop bitterness is slight & lingers after sip is long gone. Not as powerful as the aroma, but quite pleasing.

M: Medium mouthfeel with a hop stickyness that lingers. Nice carbonation that tingles the tongue slightly, letting the hops do their thing.

O: Great brew that never fails to please. Nothing better on a hot Cali night like tonight.

10-14-2011 06:23:41 | More by Cisco619
Tucquan

4.43/5  rDev +0.5%

A - Clear amber-orange with a 2-finger off-white head with mild to moderate lacing.

S - Pineaplle, passion and mango fruits, mild citrus, pine and hop floral. Very aromatic in this fresh growler.

T - Pale malt, pineapple, mango, pine, orange rind. I like the way the bitterness is dispersed through all stages of tasting. The fairly-bright, semi-sweet citrus and pale malt flavor extends into the aftertaste but is never one-up on the orange peel bitterness.

M - Light to medium body and medium-high carbonation. Crispy-creamy and resinous.

D - I never grow tired of this delicious brew.

09-06-2011 21:58:28 | More by Tucquan
saintwarrick

4.88/5  rDev +10.7%

Couple half growlers of this confirm it as probably the best beer I have had. Orange-ish gold color has a frothy white head, leaving white lacing down the entire glass. Not quite as aromatic as the bottled version. Taste does not suffer. Lip-smacking citrusy hops and a perfectly-balanced body hold this brew down. Taste is smooth and bitter. A rare treat on tap or in any version. Fantastic brew that everyone must have.

05-31-2011 06:06:41 | More by saintwarrick
gatorbreath

Fiji

4.2/5  rDev -4.8%

Impressed with this offering in every capacity except East Coast availability.

App - Decent, orange, copper slick look with a foamy head to settle after a good while.

Smell - Lots of citrusy floral notes, very little malt i detect.

Taste/MF - Slick, not sharp, smooth and very full of flavor. Lots of floral hoppy notes with citrus to balance. Very well-balanced, indeed.

Overall - I enjoyed this beer from a growler fill for the first time, ventured to find some bombers and enjoyed them as well. I cant wait to hopefully get closer and try the freshest of offerings from ballast point.

On up there with my favorite IPAs.

Roots to Ballast Point on this offering.

05-28-2011 19:04:17 | More by gatorbreath
MacQ32

4.69/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Courtesy of the Charleston Beer Exchange

A- Poured golden orange into my tulip glass ~1inch off white head. A fair amount of lacing left behind on the glass. Ok retention

S- Hoppy with a bit of sweetness. Piney hops are very distinct, citrusy aromas are present as well. Smells awesome

T- Quite bitter, delicious combination of mostly pine but also citrus (mangos, grapefruit, etc) hops. Both very bitter and sweet

M- Medium bodied or less - good carbonation

O- Top 5 favorite IPA here, bitter citrusy and piney. The dry refreshing bitterness stands out most to me

05-22-2011 21:27:47 | More by MacQ32
DoubleSimcoe

3.98/5  rDev -9.8%

Ballast Point Sculpin, growler filled at The Pony Bar in Hell's Kitchen, NYC, $19 (plus tip).

Appearance: Served in my Sierra snifter, pours very carbonated and free-flowing, no effort whatsoever. At least two fingers of extremely white head- reminds me of the crown of a Belgian brew. Great retention and lacing. Color is a very light amber, sort of clear honey.

Smell: Floral aromas that remind me of bees pollinating freshly-bloomed flowers. Beautiful sweetness, apple cake, some coconut. Fruity bitterness, pomelo zest, some candied orange.

Taste: Follows nose, but less intense. Some honey-like sweetness, pollen feel, a bit of sour apple at the end. Reminds me of the open fields outside Columbus, Ohio, in late summer. Subtle or disappointing? Maybe both? A tad of spice and yeast, as if Ommegang had gone West Coast IPA in Cooperstown.

Mouthfeel: Undeniably a lightweight (more so considering the super-high expectations). Medium-low body, a tad watery, that feels "diluted" in the mouth. Unlike in the initial pour, carbonation is less than stellar during the taste. Very refreshing and sessionable, though. Sweet, tingly finish.

Overall: In the all drinkability, this would get a "5" and beyond. You could drink this all day and night without getting toasted. There is no stickiness or chewiness here, as in other California IPA's. No overwhelming hops or bitterness. Whether that is a good or bad thing, it is up to you. I find it a little tame and not totally satisfying, kind of like a coitus interruptus (hence my "4" overall), but I sure do appreciate the incredible drinkability.

This is the second growler I've had of Sculpin. The first one I got at Fat Head's in Pittsburgh and I liked it better. Next time I want to try Sculpin out of a bomber and see how it changes. Nice beer, but its cult status within the beer world is overblown, in my opinion.

04-03-2011 01:16:48 | More by DoubleSimcoe
Nesued

3.88/5  rDev -12%

Sampled from a growler obtained from the fine staff at Green's on Piney Grove Road. Part of their weekly "Rare Keg Thursday" offerings. Kudos to these fine chaps for bringing outstanding beers to Columbia (not only in bottles but also on-tap).

Appearance - Yellow/amber in color. Crystal clear. Huge head (to the tune of 2in) formed on the pour. Ample lacing developed as the head receded to a frothy white cap on this beer. Light carbonation present continuing to feed the ring.

Smell - As expected from this big IPA, awash in citrus, piney resin notes. Some apricots as well as some general nondescript sweetness to round out the aromas.

Taste - In a word, "refreshing". Crisp opening filled with a big (not huge) hop-forward presentation (as expected). The middle is chewy with the citrus and hop oils causing more than one or two lip-smacking gestures as an almost natural response. The end is subtle. Not a typical hop bite closing. More of a retraction to the mean, leaving you primed for the next sip.

Mouthfeel - Light to moderate body on this beer. Having it on-tap I'm sure provides a different level of carbonation than right out of the bottle. Cleansing to the palette as only a hoppy be can do.

Overall - Well now. As not a big IPA/DIPA fan I'm having to critically look at this beer in terms of its style and enjoyablity. For that, I give it high marks. An easy drinker. Easily a fine summer beer that will refresh you after a long hot summer day. Enjoyable.

03-18-2011 00:43:52 | More by Nesued
CHickman

4.68/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 5

Pours gold color with a massive 2 finger foamy off white/beige head that faded very, very slowly, leaving great spotty lacing clinging to the glass and rings as it went down.

Smells of citrus hops, grapefruit, orange peel, lemon zest, floral hops, flowers, light caramel, herbs, coriander, sweet malt, biscuit, hay, grass and light yeast; very fruity and hoppy with soft hints of pine cone, fresh citrus fruit and graham cracker - really nice IPA aroma that lets the malts interact well with the strong hop presence.

Tastes like it smells with citrus hops, piney hops, grapefruit, orange peel, lemon, grapes, floral hops, flowers, light caramel, coriander, sweet malt, biscuit, hay, grass, pepper, light spices and light yeast; really nice hop and spice combo, with great balance, and a real nice malt backbone and crisp citrus flavor. The sweetness is mild and yet has pronounced citrus flavors, really highlighting the grapefruit and citrus hops. Mellow for such a potent IPA, very enjoyable overall, hiding the ABV masterfully and making it extremely easy to drink.

Mouthfeel is creamy, oily slick and smooth, with little to no carbonation, a medium chewy body and a bitter finish that trails off like fresh hop oil was left as residue. The aftertaste resembles grapefruit juice and has a dry bitterness that's sort of chalky in a good way.

This is a highly drinkable beer with no sign of the alcohol, and a crisp refreshing feel that lets the brew flow down with ease. A definite session beer that I enjoyed and will seek out again.

5/29/13: Just had this again from a bottle and it was outstanding.

2/15/14: Had this from a can and it was again very tasty, with fresh piney and citrus hops in the nose and flavor, balanced near perfectly with caramel, malts and graham cracker.

02-13-2011 21:44:21 | More by CHickman