Microbrew Invitational

Sculpin IPASculpin IPA

Ballast Point Brewing Company
California, United States | website

Style: American IPA

Originally named Northstar IPA. Debuted in 2005.

Added by brentk56 on 04-02-2006

Reviews: 2,396 | Ratings: 13,170
4.06/5  rDev -7.3%

Really right on the money in terms of taste for an IPA - but if you're familiar with the style it's more of the same - although a superior exemplar. Lots of bitter tropical hops and a generous malt bill. A very sessionable, crisp, juicy, bitter, hoppy beer that goes down easy and finishes dry.

My only criticism of this beer is that the aroma is rather weak, that it doesn't retain a head for that long, and that although it is delicious and well made - it just doesn't do much to distinguish itself from the rest of the plethora of choices of incredible IPA's on the market.

100 times better in cans and when it's within no less than three months of it's born on date.

4.34/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a can into my trusty tulip glass.

Appearance: looked pretty good to me. The beer was a nice amber with a tinge of orange, bright, a little bit hazy. Nice, creamy head that lasted about three sips. Decent lacing. It's an IPA, alright.

Smell: a good balance of fruity smells (not quite citrusy) and green grassy smells. A whiff of bread but nothing to speak of. This portends a balanced, bright flavor.

Taste: Balanced. Light and crisp by IPA standards. The hops were at the front (as they should be) but didn't take over the flavor of the beer. Complex. Sort of reminded me of lemons and peaches with green herbal flavor, and the malty tastes were subdued but did enough to keep the hops in check. About a medium on the bitterness scale.

Mouthfeel: A little bit heavy but I could probably session this. Crisp, dry finish. Astringent, but not too much. It didn't hang around too long after swallowing, which is fine by me.

Overall: I don't know, I feel like this beer might have been hyped a bit and maybe some of its contemporaries have surpassed it by a slim margin. Still, I gotta give it to Ballast Point. This is a damn fine beer and could be one of my go-tos in a few months.

To good health and good beer.

4.03/5  rDev -8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Appearance: Pours a clean amber, with a big head of off-white suds. Decent lace.

Aroma: Crisp grapefruit and spicy floral hops. Beautiful!

Taste: A bouquet of floral and citrus hops, with a hint of bitterness at the finish. This is an exemplary American IPA and a delicious drink, for sure.

3.67/5  rDev -16.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

looks ok in the glass with light orange hue. sudsy head. nose is grapefruit and some biscut with not much else to me. fairly weak. taste follows nose with some pineapple and grapefruit near the end palate with light cracker malt in there to balance it out. mouthfeel is rather thin. I dunno. I don't see all the fuss over this. ive had this beer many times and always think the same thing. ..meh.... not great. not bad.

4.1/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Ballast Point has recently come to Richmond, Va following us landing Stone's east coast brewery. Rumors even started swirling that BP was looking at us as a possible location for their expansion. I've been wanting to try their much-hyped brews, but at $15/6-pack their product is almost double that of other good beers, and close to 50% more than Stone's fine offerings. I felt like I should get a happy ending with it at that price. So when I saw a mixed 12 for $21 and change I decided to give 'em a whirl. First up, the much lauded Sculpin.

It poured a hazy apricot color with a dense, medium thickness head that slowly dissipated and left fine lacing. Nose was typical IPA with citrus, grass, but not as big as I expected. Taste was quite pleasant. With "American IPA" I was expecting one of these absurd, overly hopped beers. Instead it was balanced with a moderate bitterness on the backend. Mouthfeel was typical for an IPA with fine carbonation.

So in the end it was a very good (wait for it) IPA. In other words, I see this beer as a bit of hype. It's a nice session beer, the balanced hopping makes it enjoyable instead of some of these ridiculous attempts at cramming as many IBUs into a pint as possible. But in the end it isn't anything "amazing". It is better than most IPAs but alas...no happy ending. If it were priced competitively with even the other high-end IPAs I'd consider buying it (when I want an IPA). But at $15/6? No thanks.

4.34/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This truly is a world class beer. I've been wanting to try it for a long time and it definitely met my expectations. Easy to drink, full of citrus and muted pine flavors, balanced with a nice malt base. Truly lovely!

4.46/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Excellent apricot color with orange tones. White or off-white head with firm carbonation. Wonderful nose, a blend of conifers, citrus, and other tropical fruits. Flavor, as promised by the nose, and then some. Delightful hops just as an IPA should have, but despite their prominence they were balanced. Mouthfeel clean, with some smooth creaminess in the middle that was not distracting. This beer deserves the accolades it has received.

4.64/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

Look:
Poured slightly hazy deep gold/copper color. Less carbonation than expected (poured from a 12 oz can). Head recedes quickly, but the lacing continues on (1 finger head upon pour). This one was a bit darker than I expected.

Smell:
Very floral and hoppy!!! Rich, earthy, and buttery scents fill the air. Sweet caramel malt and toffee also wafts upward.

Taste:
Wow!! A decent hop bitterness punch right up front, but not overpowering the other flavors. Hops add citrus, pineapple, mango, grapefruit, etc., to the next round. Mixed in is a sweet caramel malt. There is a rich savory buttery flavor as well. Once they trail off, more citrus and malt flavors continue.

Feel:
There is a light/medium mouthfeel here. Medium bodied with lower carbonation.

Overall:
This is a great IPA (as expected). I seemed to like the flavor of this one better than the highly acclaimed Pliny the Elder. It is very rich and less on the IBU/Bitterness scale (which I do like better – but personal preference). I understand that Pliny is considered a “Double IPA” so it is more bitter, but I enjoyed the Sculpin more so.

4.72/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Clear golden orange with a white head and some lacing. Big hop aroma of citrus, pine, cat pee and flowers. Really bitter up front but balanced, clean fermentation and no real alcohol taste. Medium body with average carbonation and dry. Really good IPA

4.47/5  rDev +2.1%

Golden copper color with quarter inch head. Robust tropical flavors, citrus, pine, and other fruity notes. Great tropics to hops combo. Feels great. Nice aftertaste for this full, excellent IPA. Will revisit for sure.

4.35/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Pale copper color with maybe half finger of head. Nose of apricot, citrus, tropical fruits, little peach. Taste of lemon, pine, orange peel, tropical fruits, and nice hoppy bite on the back end with a hint of breadiness. Dry finish with a nice lingering feel at the end. This is a very good IPA. Very light and refreshing with the bitterness you love. I prefer their dorado but this is a close second in the Ballast line up.

4.37/5  rDev -0.2%

Pure clear orange color with a two finger off-white head. Smells pine with citrus rind in there. Smooth and somewhat fruity. Accessible but with a big character. The bitter dryness is just enough to make you want another sip. Very refreshing without being mouth-numbing like some other modern IPAs. Definitely a great example of the type.

4.02/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Pours filtered and golden, low carbonation with a one finger head. Smells of pine and citrus with sticky hops. Taste is bitter, bready malts, and pretty nicely balanced. Light mouthfeel, somewhat watery. Not bad overall when nothing special is available, this IPA should do the trick.

4.37/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I couldn't believe I had never reviewed this since it's something of a legend and has been available in NC for years. Pours a lighter color than you expect, kind of a dark straw but almost opaque in its translucence. Nice, tight bubbled off white head that lasts a few minutes but no more. Solid lacing appears later. The nose is strong. All kinds of friendly tropical fruit flavors: orange, grapefruit, kiwi, lime, others...

Taste is heavy grapefruit and pine needles. The texture is very dry but simultaneously quenching. The finish is clean yet the aftertaste lingers beautifully. A little bit of buttery bread at the way back. For me this is very well done. Big, powerful flavor, yet under control, and without too much carbonation or alcohol burn. The whole thing is tight and disciplined throughout.

High drink-ability here. It's certainly not cheap, but these guys know they have a great product, and that people will pay fourteen bucks a sixer for it. One of the best of the style, period.

3.9/5  rDev -11%

From an undated bomber. Pours an amber color with a finger of fluffy white head. Smell is mostly grapefruit. Medium body, taste is mostly hop bitterness which is strong but not excessive. I'm a little puzzled why it's currently rated 97 - World Class, it's certainly a good IPA but not exceptional.

3.71/5  rDev -15.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle Date: none
Palate Contaminants: none

Gotta start somewhere with the Sculpins.

Appearance is an slightly opaque gold with fine particulates visible, plus medium lacing in the glass.

Smell is the most floral I've run into thus far. Lots of tree flowers.

Taste is just absolutely dominated by hoppy bitterness. There's not much room for anything else. I'm trying to assess sweetness, and all I get is bitter. I'm trying to assess savoriness, and all I get is bitter. I'm looking for any range of flavors, and all I get...

Feel is moderately carbonated, par for the course.

I don't know if I want to try any more of this line. I can appreciate hops, but I'm not some addict looking for pure dope. Luponic Distortion from Firestone is plenty bitter, but it also has some range.

4.15/5  rDev -5.3%

A delicious, well-balanced IPA that is excellent from nose to finish. It has multiple layers of varied and subtle fruit notes that change from front to back. The consistency of Ballast Point's batches is a credit to their process. It's wide availability is something to be thankful for.

3.76/5  rDev -14.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

When pouring the beer, you get an amber beer with white foam.
The foam has small means bubbles and is perfectly right.
The foam stick around for a while and leave little trace in the glass.
Hop aroma will direct, a little malt notes.
Behind this, we find the fruity tones of grapefruit.
A little tropical and mixed herbs, and a little caramel.
The first thing you taste the hops and subsequent bitterness.
Both hops and bitterness are dominant but behind that is a lovely taste of the grapefruit.
Some mixed tropical flavors of orange and a little lemon.
Some spices, herbs and a touch of toasted coming towards the end.
The hops and bitterness are dominant and sits in all the time and a moderately while afterwards.
I think both hops and bitterness takes over a bit much and that the other flavors will not forward enough.

3.63/5  rDev -17.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I had a bottle of this about a year ago in which I thought the grapefruit bitterness was a bit overwhelming (even wondered at the time how they could also make a grapefruit sculpin that possibly had more grapefruit flavor). A friend gifted me a can, so I thought I would give it another try. This time, it is the opposite -- very little nose. The flavor is a nice smooth, tasty IPA -- but a little subdued and unremarkable. I don't know -- maybe the Thai food I had on Saturday destroyed my palate for the week - or maybe the can is old.

3.58/5  rDev -18.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Slight haziness nice lacing. Smell is nice but not exceptional. Taste is very good but I expected more from such a highly rated brew. I'll buy it again but I won't seek it.

4.68/5  rDev +6.8%

Poured it has an Amber color. Very light head and minimal carbonation. Smell is very fruity, citrus and hops. Taste is the best. Full fruity and citrus flavor with after taste of hops and spice. Smooth finish. I highly recommned to drink ice cold and relaxing on the beach kinda beer. Really good. One of my favorite IPA.

3.93/5  rDev -10.3%

Obviously this beer has had numerous positive reviews & this one will add to that. I bought a 22 oz bottle and poured it into a standard pint glass. Light amber color, nicely carbonated. Beautiful head that slowly receded to a full film across the glass. This beer has a wonderful bouquet of citrus. The bottle lists some fruits in regards to flavor. I could taste apricot, grapefruit & orange. 70 IBUs give it that hoppy punch, but not over the top. Enough to satisfy any hop head. Warm, rich, carmel malt gives it the velvet sphere that forms in your mouth after you sip it. Each sip tastes better than the previous - a sign of a good beer! I would drink this again.

4.35/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

The other sterling reviews cover what I'd say. So, I'll use this space to respond to the idiots calling them sellouts and/or downgrading their beer because they decided to make some money. This is a quote from the founder of Ballast Point shortly after the deal was made with Constellation, "Constellation has guaranteed that this brewery will remain true to its roots. There will be no coast-to-coast ad campaigns similar to the ones touting Corona. No changes in the brewing team, no shift in management. As important as that was for us, it was key for them. That’s what they are investing in, they want to make sure it’s me and my team doing what we do best. It will be the same people making the same beer, with the same culture and approach.” I get not liking big business, stay away if you want. But if you liked the beer before then you are still going to like it now.

4.59/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Pours a beautiful translucent gold with just a touch of haze. Nice 2 finger head recedes in 1 minute to a thin halo around the edge of the glass. The smell gives away what is in store with a great nose of fruity hops and pine. Taste matches the smell with a bit of citrus in the aftertaste. If you stop drinking an even stronger aftertaste of grapefruit will commandeer the palate for a good 5 minutes. Feel is close to perfect. When you take it in you don't even feel the carbonation for a minute then just enough fizzy micro bubbles appear on the tongue to add some zing to each mouthful. This is on the door step of the greats for me. For this beer to be available in many supermarkets now to me means craft beer has conquered the market.

4.56/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

This is a fantastic beer. I tried this on tap last year and I have been hooked ever since. I'm trying to get to all the flavors of Sculpin. There are a bunch. This beer is so good that that you don't want to put it down and you end up drinking the first one fairly fast. Then it's on to number 2, be careful this second one could sneak up on ya and bite ya in the @$$. It's potent! A 6 pack has put me down for the count. In a happy as a pig in slop kind of way. Can't wait to get down south to one of their breweries. If you see it in the store do yourself a favor and try it. It is pricey, especially for 6-pack, but well worth it.

Sculpin IPA from Ballast Point Brewing Company