1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Sculpin IPA - Ballast Point Brewing Company

Sculpin IPASculpin IPA

Reviews: 1913

Ballast Point Brewing Company visit their website

Originally named Northstar IPA. Debuted in 2005.

(Beer added by: brentk56 on 04-02-2006)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sculpin IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 7,278 | Reviews: 1,913 | Show All Ratings:
drabmuh

Maryland

4.4/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 22 ounce bottle into an Arrogant Bastard 0.5 L glass. There is no freshness date. Beer is hazy and amber in color. Carbonation is moderate to high with biggish bubbles. Head is thick, large bubbles, leaves some lacing as it falls away.

Beer smell like funky pine hops and not much else. Smells fine for an IPA.

Spicy, citrus and pine hops. Beer is not dry but rather wet. Almost no aftertaste. The hops cover you mouth. Second taste oranges, pine, lemon, some sweetness, a very good tasting beer.

Medium body good connectiveness in the flavors, hits all the centers on the palate, drinkability high.

11-16-2009 01:10:44 | More by drabmuh
Mora2000

4.68/5  rDev +6.1%

Thanks to Kaiser81 for trading this one to me.

Pours yellow-orange with a small white head. The beer is very clear. The aroma is strong citrus hops, lots of peach and mango. Very nice smelling beer. There is good bitterness and hop flavor, with lots of pine and citrus. The pine is mainly evident in the aftertaste. Medium mouthfeel and very drinkable. Outstanding beer.

12-29-2009 20:04:18 | More by Mora2000
zeff80

Missouri

4.85/5  rDev +10%

A - Poured out a clear, golden yellow color with a small, white, bubbly head of foam. It left soapy trails of lace.

S - It smelled amazing. Loads of grapefruit, bubblegum, mango and other citrus aromas. It had a slight caramel nose, too.

T - It tasted of sweet citrus flavors with grapefruit and orange peel. It had a nice bitter hop bite and a bitter burnt toast malt flavor.

M - It was crisp and quite sharp. A medium-bodied ale with a smooth finish.

D - This is an amazing IPA. It has all the complexity and depth of an Imperial IPA without an over the top alcohol presence.

11-26-2009 22:38:16 | More by zeff80
jlindros

4.38/5  rDev -0.7%

I've head so much about this gem I've been salivating already since I finally found the bottle yesterday. Must be pretty fresh too. I'll have to pour this baby into my oversized DFH snifter, as with any awesome IPA.

A: Pours an airy decent sized head, little less than a finger. Lots of large bubbles disperse throughout as it slowly fades to a light head covering. It lightly covers the golden pale orange and pretty hazy color that almost mask the myriad of little bubbles rising to the top.

N: Oh yeah, with the crazy noble hops! Lots of pine and some citrus, it's got that similar malty like nose that most crazy ass IPAs have, that almost reminds me of a sweet like crystal malt, but it's actually the hops I believe. I think my nose is cringing from the bitterness itself and I haven't even tasted it yet. Lots of spiciness from the hops and some floral qualities also run deep. I get some juicy fruit (not the gum dammit!) thats almost a musty peach or apricot, but its not. Oh that brings me to my next point, it has that somewhat musty aroma that most fresh crazy hopped IPAs have, but this one is a lot more subtle than most.

T: Oh yeah, I can taste it too huh?! Sorry, still nosing it. Mhhmmmpppfff... Wow bitterness right out front. Lots of noble hops with pine and citrus hit right away, and it fades quickly to a really juicy and fruity hop taste, more ripe peach. A very slight malty taste, but it just flicks you enough to make you notice its there. The bitterness again takes over and really dominates once the juice fades. More musty tropical fruit taste in the center, that transforms into a piney minty taste, that reminds me of that time I ate a bunch of pine cones wrapped in mint leaves. Some hop resin and oil find their way through and tickle your tongue a little.

M: Semi thick with a slight sticky hop oil feel, actually its got a really rich fatty oil quality like an unchill-filtered whisky. Decent carbonation but nothing to brag about in this dep, not that that is bad. Also, slightly spicey hops.

F: Damn! It's bitter. What's the IBUs, some huge number? It almost scrapes the feeling off my tongue, like the crazy sculpin fish on the label. But it is saved by a slight touch of sweetness as its not too dry, and the juicy center really eases that tension. The bitterness leaves a winterfresh mouth feel, like I just used mouthwash, I'm totally serious. I think the crazy piney bitterness lingering along, and added the slight fruit it tricks the taste buds into tasting that.

Final thoughts: Wow, it was just as I anticipated. A crazy hop bomb with little malts, lots of pine, citrus, juicy fruit hops, some spice, and lots of greatness. The thing that did surprise me was the slight minty mouthwash feel. If this wasn't so limited and expensive I'd really use it as mouthwash and it would be so great!

10-10-2009 01:11:42 | More by jlindros
Gueuzedude

Arizona

3.68/5  rDev -16.6%

Pours with a frothy, two finger thick, pale, tan tinged, off-white colored head. The beer is a clear amber color that shows a brilliantly clear, bright copper hue when held up to the light. The aroma certainly hits the spot for any hop lover with a melange of herbaceous, spicy, fruity, citrusy and yes even dank hop character. Malt, I don't know much about that, though I am sure there might be a hint in the aroma some where, right now I am focusing on the hop aromatics that the malt character is supporting. Vibrant lychee, ripe tangelo peal and bitter grapefruit oil round out the fruity hop aromatics, but in the deep draughts of the aroma it is the herbal hop components that reign. There are turpene rich hop notes, a slight grassy edge, perhaps a hint of chive, but what really jumps out is the essential "hemp" oil components; sticky, dank, resinous, slightly rosemary like, touches of pine tar and a spiciness that almost make my nose itch. Definitely a hop heads beer by the nose.

Lightly sweet up front and then a bracing, richly herbal, bitterness grabs hold of the tongue; this never recedes either as the bitterness lingers on in the palate after the beer has left my mouth. The hop flavors have a fruity, almost oily character that is sensed as a backdrop to the other flavors; tropical fruit, lychee and bitter orange peel. The flavor profile is dominated though by the herbal hop components. Pepper, amply spicy, a touch of sharp rosemary, green turpenes and of course it has a biting, dank, "hemp" oil green flavor to it that lingers on with the bitterness in the finish. This is definitely an aggressively hoppy beer, this can be nice, but somehow this beer seems a bit too one-dimensional, even for a overly hoppy IPA. There is a soft supporting malt character that brings a hint of sweetness as well as a touch of cracker light malt to the flavor, it also supplies a medium'ish body to this brew.

A bit too herbal focused to be great for me; I prefer a nice balance of tropical fruit notes as well as the sticky herbal hop character (the aroma is a bit more balanced than the flavor, though still not quite enough). Still this certainly has appeased my hop fix for the evening.

Purchased: South Bay Drugs, Imperial Beach CA

01-03-2009 03:34:23 | More by Gueuzedude
Knapp85

4.43/5  rDev +0.5%

I'm to the point now that if I see this at my local beer store I just buy as many as I can. This IPA is well worth the $2.75 a bottle I get it for. Sculpin pours out as a pleasing golden color with a nice soapy looking white head. The head settles and leave a white bubbly film over the beer that leaves a pretty damn good lacing down the glass. The smell of this beer is very inviting. It's got hops in there along with Grapefruit, lemon, orange, and a faint aroma of peach. The taste is very good as well it's gives off a really nice sweetness upfront followed but a cotton mouth bitter dryness in the back end. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a good amount of carbonation to it. Overall it's a very pleasing IPA, once of the best that isn't an Imperial in my opinion. The more you have the better they get. I really hope Ballest Point never pulls out of PA.

06-12-2011 20:09:34 | More by Knapp85
jwc215

Wisconsin

4.85/5  rDev +10%

Thanks fo Bitterbill for this gem!

22 oz. bottle:

Pours bright orange amber with a foamy white head that leaves broken rings of lacing.

The smell is of tangerine, grapefreuit, resiny pine - spicy herbal/grassy notes. This is a wonderfully hopped brew! Very aromatic.

The taste is of grapefruit and tangerine with grassy/herbal notes - some pine - complex hoppy goodness. Bitter notes - but with rounding caramel sweetness in the back that rounds it out in the finish.

The body is medium.

Hoppy, but rounded. An American IPA classic. This is a great example of the style. Not just hops thrown in, but well-blended with a nice caramelish backbone. Awesome! (There's alcohol in this?)

02-16-2009 22:41:06 | More by jwc215
RblWthACoz

4.35/5  rDev -1.4%

Pours a barely foggy amber with a thin creme head. Nose is pine resin and slight citric tones. Flavor is that biting acrid salty hops tone. Pine is definitely there. It's biting, but still smooth enough somehow. Feel is typical on liquid and carbonation is even. This is an easy to drink IPA, but it's best judged when you look at it as a San Diego IPA as opposed to an IPA in general. Still, I like it.

12-25-2008 14:51:29 | More by RblWthACoz
WVbeergeek

4.83/5  rDev +9.5%

Bocktown had this on tap, it lasted from Wednesday nights tasting to mid day Thursday. I'm glad I stopped in for some lunch time beers on Thursday. Appears a pale copper hue with a bubbling bright white head, forms intricate fine lacing down the sides of my glass as it dwindles. Aromatics have a full blown hop garden going on with bountiful citrusy graperfruit and tropical fruit tones, raw floral and herbal qualities as well, with some mild sweetness making it's way from the pale malts. Flavor was brazenly bitter full on assault of bitter orange peel pith, floral herbal hops, and again tropical fruit juiciness. Pale malts gave enough bread and biscuit components just to balance out the huge hop profile. Killer experience I can't wait to try more from these guys, mouthfeel was oily resinous medium bodied ale. Soft mellow carbonation made this one lubricatingly smooth experience, drinkable as all hell. I'm 100% sold and I'm glad I found this brew that I have been trying to track down for over 5 yrs now, a welcome addition to the Pittsburgh beer scene.

03-06-2010 10:30:53 | More by WVbeergeek
Gavage

4.72/5  rDev +7%

Appearance: pours a orange color with a 1" head that breaks to a thick surface foam. Some spotty lace develops.

Smell: floral hop bitterness, orange citrus, and a mild fruit sweetness is easy to detect.

Taste: caramel, orange, lemon zest, pink grapefruit, a nice bitterness, and some pear sweetness to round it out. Alcohol is not noticeable at all. Very well balanced.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied. Lightly crisp throughout with some dryness late. Aftertaste is long as the bitterness and citrus ride the tongue.

Drinkability: this beer is refreshing, and hits the spot. Goes down quickly, one could savor a few pints of this in a session.

03-26-2010 19:02:50 | More by Gavage
smcolw

4.35/5  rDev -1.4%

Pours a dark gold with a mild chill haze. Wonderful and large off-white head--settles to a dome. Leaves a ton of chunky lace.

Strong grapefruit and pine hop aroma. Floral and fresh.

Excellent balance at the start of the taste. Starts with a dry pale ale malt flavor. The swallow brings out wallop of bitterness--very peppery with a hint of grapefruit rind. The body is spot-on.

After seeing the glowing reviews, I can honestly say this didn't disappoint. It is one of the finer IPA's in the world.

11-14-2010 21:58:44 | More by smcolw
Halcyondays

4.03/5  rDev -8.6%

22 oz. bomber, love the label,

A: Pours a light amber with a great clarity. Light cap of white foam and good strong lacing. Looks great as the mid-afternoon sun shines through it.

S: Definite tropical fruit - mango, pineapple juice, heavy apricot. Not terribly aromatic, but a nice scent, smells like a fruit salad.

T: Heavy grapefruit pith at first, reminded me a bit of Blind Pig on the first sip. Lemon zest and apricot preserves form the remainder of the complex hop flavour. Malt is light and doesn't get in the way.

M: I really like the mouthfeel in this one. Very soft carbonation allows the hop oils and resin to shine and makes for a very drinkable beer.

D: A very good IPA from Ballast Point. Did it live up to the hype for me - not completely, but it is quite a good beer. The hop complexites in this one give it the potential to be incredible on cask - I hope I can find some, but if there's any it's probably in San Diego. Definitely try this release.

12-20-2008 00:15:03 | More by Halcyondays
mactrail

2.23/5  rDev -49.4%

Hops, or more precisely, grapefruit pith, takes over the taste totally. There is just nothing else to say.

If you like this particular hop profile, to the exclusion of every other taste, you'll think this is great. To me it's a stab to the root of my tongue. It's not a beer flavor, it's a chemical link to a very specific pain receptor.

Nice aroma, though. The usual orangey amber in the pint glass. I thought I would try this again since it's been a couple of years. But I arrive at the same conclusion: total bitterness. First glass out of the keg at Quality Social in San Diego. Couldn't be fresher.

03-24-2012 05:26:22 | More by mactrail
barleywinefiend

Washington

4.47/5  rDev +1.4%

Poured a nice yellowish orange color with good carbonation and a small white head. Nose is pine, grapefruit and other citrus, perhaps ornage, apricot. Taste is huge citrus and pine , sweet and nice bittering. Mouthfeel slight alcohol more citrus, pine and hops. Drinkability is phenom!

Serving type: growler

11-15-2009 15:57:35 | More by barleywinefiend
StonedTrippin

Colorado

4.49/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Finally, at long last, I got the chance to enjoy a sculpin. actually, I enjoyed three of them! the setting was the strip house steak joint in the planet Hollywood casino in las vegas, Nevada. I sat down with my hockey teammates, who all ordered a fancy cabernet, but I asked to glance at the beer list, and there it was, sculpin ipa. it poured a beautiful cloudy grassy pale golden color, with an inch or so of off white head that lasts forever, leaves excellent lacing, and is easily reinvigorated with a swirl the wine glass I asked the server to bring me. the nose on it is long and hoppy, but not in that dank oily sweet fruity way that some of these are, but more subtle, not more simple, but more in focus, more sure of its identity. there are notes of fresh pineapple and spruce, but this is neither bitter nor sweet. its got an impressive degree of malt balance, as well as a yeast character that reminds me of some of the European ipa offerings. the flavor is standalone. its got a gorgeous hop bouquet, with some floral notes in there too, but I cannot quite place any of the specific varietals. less citrus and more pine than I expected, and a forever finish that's both refreshing and filling to a degree. the alcohol is impossible to pick out. feel is also lovely, with effervescently bright carbonation that tickles the tongue without being invasive, and a medium body that doesn't stand in the way of the flavor. this was the absolutely perfect complement to a 20 ounce bone in ribeye, dry aged, rare. I had three of these with my steak, and would have had more if they weren't 12 bucks a go. what a glorious ipa this is, distinct from the crowd, and worth every word of the hype. really sensational brew.

04-23-2013 19:15:58 | More by StonedTrippin
tempest

4.43/5  rDev +0.5%

Shared a bomber at Tap and Table in Emmaus, PA for $14. Totally worth it. This is easily one of the best IPA's I've had in sometime. Reminds me in terms of quality of the pint of Town Hall Masala Mama I had last week. The hops jump out of the glass once the beer is poured - I love when that happens. The hops are a mix of spicy citrus that are juicy, but dry and drinkable. There are also tasty notes of apricot, white grape, and orange peel.The aftertaste just doesn't go away. I had to go out of my way to find an even bigger beer to follow this up, otherwise this beer would have still been hanging on my palate.

07-22-2009 14:07:21 | More by tempest
mdfb79

4.43/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured from a 22 oz. bomber into a pint glass.

a - Poured an orangish/golden color with one finger of white head and a lot of carbonation evident. Somewhat transparent.

s - Smelled this as soon as the bottle was opened and while pouring. Lots of hops, pine, and citrus to it. Smells great and very fresh.

t - First tastes are of hops and citrus. Has a strong bitter taste throughtout drinking, and hints of bready malts after some of the bitterness and hops subside.

m - Medimum body, moderate carbonation, pretty easy to drink.

d - Overall I really enjoyed this IPA. The smell was one of the best smelling IPAs I've ever smelled, and the taste was great too. Very easy to drink and wonderful fresh. I would put this right below PTE and HopSlam in terms of my favorite IPAs and would highly suggest trying this if you see it.

02-22-2010 01:01:04 | More by mdfb79
kojevergas

3.94/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

22 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into a generic pilsner glass in a friend's gaff in low altitude San Diego, California. Bottle acquired at Ballast Point a few hours ago. Reviewed live. Expectations are high; I had this on draught in Orange, California back in December and it was the best IPA I'd ever had - even though I usually don't like them. I'm hoping the bottle measures up to the draught.

Served refrigerator cold. Side-poured without any extra vigor as no carbonation issues were anticipated.

A: Pours a one finger head of off-white colour, nice cream, nice thickness, and great retention for the ABV. Colour is a clear copper. No floating yeast particles. Appealing, but not unique or special. Standard for an IPA.

Sm: Hoppy - mainly floral,with some buried bitterness. An orange fruit ester note emerges from the hops; maybe citra was used. A bit dry. A mild to moderate strength aroma.

T: Hoppy but very nicely balanced, with only mild bitterness coming through about the climax and third act. Floral, with hints of fruit like mango and perhaps apricot. Lovely grapefruit citrus zest. Fresh. Pleasant. Enjoyable. Refreshing. Clean bright malts form the foundation. The balance sets it a notch or three above most other IPAs. Lightly creamy. Very well built. I like it.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Some lovely welcome cream helps the mouthfeel complement the flavours. Near perfect thickness. Well done in that it doesn't get in the way of the flavours. The coarseness is adequate to bring out the flavours. Near perfect carbonation.

Dr: Very drinkable for the ABV and style. I quite like this IPA. Refreshing and enjoyable. Really fantastic. Worth the price tag. I do prefer it on draught. I'd definitely have this again. It's pricey, but well worth the money for the quality. I don't think Big Eye comes close to Sculpin. Even at $14-15 a 6 pack, I keep coming back for more.

High B+

03-27-2012 01:43:20 | More by kojevergas
akorsak

3.73/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A firkin hand-pulled at Al's. This is dry-hopped with simcoe hops.

A: The hand-pulled ale has a hazy amber glow, hazy enough to be opaque except as the narrowest base of the glass. A fragile off-white head, thanks to the cask, has legs but it isn't the normal vibrant head you'd be used to seeing.

S: The nose caught me attention immediately. So much so that I almost had to cry. The hoppiness, piney and citrusy, is rather intense, augmented by the simcoe dry-hoppping. Resiny, the nose seems oily and rich.

T: Man, oh man. The taste just doesn't live up to the hype of the nose. The cask conditioning has settled the ale down, even with the dry hopping. The result is a full caramel base and plenty of hops that are nondescript. The intense Sculpin flavors have been lost behind the living, breathing ale. Perhaps the subtlety of cask ale is lost on IPAs of this magnitude?

M: The mouthfeel is smooth, aided by the lower carbonation levels. The finish is particularly enjoyable, but the flavorful hops get lost in translation.

D: I had two pints, so it's not a bad beer. It just seems out of place from a cask.

Serving type: cask

08-06-2010 11:52:36 | More by akorsak
Rifugium

3.85/5  rDev -12.7%

I've had this several times in the past, but can't remember the details. This is from a recent tasting on tap at Blind Tiger, NYC.

Pretty standard IPA here; not really sure why it's rated so extraordinarily high on BA, but oh well. Bright golden body, almost completely opaque with haze, and capped with a creamy off-white head that retained well and left nice lacing on the glass. Nose is hop-dominant as would be expected, but not too aromatic, grass, citrus, subtle traces of ammonia well within tolerance. More of the same in the taste: citrus and pine hops, quite bitter, almost to the point of being a palate wrecker, biscuity malts in the background, lasting bitter aftertaste. Medium body, a bit harsh...not quite as smooth as some of the country's better-made IPAs, but still good quality and drinkable overall if you're in the mood for the style.

06-29-2012 20:32:53 | More by Rifugium
Billolick

4.43/5  rDev +0.5%

22 ounce bomber, w/o freshness info. $9.99 at DeCicco's in Ardsley, NY.

Pours slightly hazed golden, lighter amber with bubbles rising to the top. The off white head is very long lasting, tight knit froth, nice looking sheeting and gobs of lace.

Minty, earthy, bright hop nose.

Simply delicious AIPA. Hops out in full force, on the smooth, soft and earthy side, which is to say not crunching in their approach. With citric/orangy notes shining through. On the lighter side body wise, adding to the easy drinkability. Dangerous at 7%, cuz this goes down easy like a sessioner.

Very tasty and high quality, I can only hope this one will remain available locally for a while.

10-15-2009 00:31:28 | More by Billolick
rhoadsrage

(Served in a tulip glass)
Best by 9/22/13 (it was consumed before this date)
A- There was a touch of haze to the golden body with strands of carbonation and a sticky eggshell white thin cream of head on top.

S- The fresh pale malt leads to some earthy pungent hops in the finish. The hops grow as the beer opens.

T- The pungent note of hops leads to a green unripe fruit hops with a woody hop finish that lingers without much bitterness. There is a sweetness hint in the finish.

M- The medium-light mouthfeel has a gentle fizz that compliments the hops nicely.

O- Nice strong hop flavor with a good hint of malt support. Good depth to the hop profile aswell.

11-25-2013 21:46:24 | More by rhoadsrage
lacqueredmouse

Australia

4.93/5  rDev +11.8%

Pours a surprisingly light, but very bright golden colour, with a huge and robust three fingers of frothy cream-coloured foam. Lacing makes some extremely intricate patterns down the glass. The bright colour actually wins me over as I'm looking at it, and the lacing is so gorgeous I might have to take some erotic photography of it.

Oh, the nose is just wonderful. This is why people say things like "Sculpin has a wonderful nose". Big fresh fruity aromas - green apple peel, peach, apricot jam, rubbed lemons. Such gorgeously realised hop characters that must have been a labour of love to get right. Absolutely divine.

Taste is also brilliant. Crisp with fresh hops, which fade to a single point, leaving a clean finish, but just a counterbalance to the sweet fruit characters which still linger, ripe and fresh. So amazingly crisp, drinkable and cleansing. Absolutely nothing off. Everything is so well contained it's as though the brewers went through with a tiny pair of scissors and clipped the flavour profile to the most tiny and exact specifications.

This is, as many people before me have said, an exceptional beer. It is never an extreme beer, but it is an excruciatingly meticulous production of an IPA. Wow - this is exactly, exactly what I want from my IPA; fresh, flavoursome, clean, crisp, drinkable - and I'm so pleased I've found it.

05-24-2010 02:09:16 | More by lacqueredmouse
Zorro

4.1/5  rDev -7%

A beer named after the California Scorpion fish, Does it have a sting?

Clear orange colored beer with a tall off-white head. This falls on the light end of the beer spectrum I call IPA Orange.

Smell is strong NW hops. Very strong on the pine and grapefruit. Little bit of menthol and mint, other than that no strange hop aromas here.

Starts out semi-dry with a good ale flavor. Grapefruit peel with pine resins tasty with no wood or tea flavors. Nothing outstanding about the taste but it is well balanced and tasty. This is one of the milder California IPAs.

Mouthfeel is good.

Overall a tasty and very easy to drink IPA. Not outstanding in any respect except being very user friendly. I could see drink a pitcher of this by myself.

10-03-2011 01:03:51 | More by Zorro
Wasatch

Utah

4.83/5  rDev +9.5%

Thanks goes out to Bitterbill for this brew.

22oz. Bomber

Pours a very nice hazy golden light orange color, very nice carbonation, awesome one-finger plus thick creamy off-white head, which leaves some small islands and sticky lacing behind. The nose is slightly malty, big time hops, some scents of lemon/orange, and piney. The taste is slighlty sweet, nice malt notes, very nice hoppiness, with some lemon/orange tones, and some pinyness. Medium body, a very nice chewyness with a slightly dry/bitter finish. Very drinkable, a truely awesome IPA, highly recommended. Thanks Bill!

07-27-2008 19:06:24 | More by Wasatch