Sculpin IPA - Ballast Point Brewing Company

Sculpin IPASculpin IPA

Wants: 1,181
Ballast Point Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: brentk56 on 04-02-2006

Originally named Northstar IPA. Debuted in 2005.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 11,186 | Reviews: 2,297

4.16/5  rDev -5.7%

SC 450

A: Very transparent but not 100%. Medium bronze and dark gold colored body with a fluffy white head. Good lacing. Good visible carbonation.

S: I can smell the beer from the table it is on. Smells like grapefruit and tangerine. Very nice smelling. It doesn't have that "fresh hop" smell that I get from some beers though, but the smell is outstanding and it has a good reach outside of the glass.

T: Very nice taste. Tastes very much like it smells. It's like biting into a grapefruit with that bitterness that works its way to the back. Not much malt flavor, but there is this bread crust that comes through after a sip when the beer warms up a bit, that is pushed away by the bitterness right at the end. The bottle says "hints of apricot, peach, mango and lemon" which I don't completely agree with. Each palate is different though. To me it has more of a tangerine and grapefruit taste. I get a bit of pine in there as well, but not like licking a pine tree, it's just in the background a bit.

M: Finishes very dry and bitter. Clean. Just the way it should be.

O: It's a very outstanding beer. It gives the expected "IPA experience" very nicely. I would drink it again. It provides a good staple IPA when looking for something to drink. I will say that I've had other IPA's that have a fresher smell and flavor from the bottle. That's the main thing keeping me from rating it a perfect. I'm drinking it 51 days after it was bottled, and I purchased it from a store that uses refrigerated storage, so it should be fairly fresh. Keeping that in mind I would buy other beers that I know I can get fresher. I don't want to make any of this sound negative, it's just something I wanted to add for my own future reference. The beer is outstanding.

3.75/5  rDev -15%

4.39/5  rDev -0.5%

3.75/5  rDev -15%

4.15/5  rDev -5.9%

I stopped into Whetstone Station yesterday (26APR14) for dinner with Artied2 and had a couple of this offering. Served in a ~12oz tulip for $6.50 each.

Color was a solid, deep golden, with a decent amount of carbo visible. Had an ever-so-slight touch of haze, along with a thin, fine white head and decent lacing. Aroma had lots of hopping, with pithy, rindy qualities. Body was a nice medium, and it had little prickle on the tongue.

Flavor had some mild toasty malt, but was mostly a hop show. It was rindy, resiny, and pithy while displaying some solid grapefruit and a hint of pineapple. Lusciously bitter all the way through the dry finish. Quite tasty!

Prosit!!

4.16/5 rDev -5.7%

4.75/5  rDev +7.7%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Sculpin IPA from Ballast Point Brewing Company