Sculpin IPA - Ballast Point Brewing Company

Sculpin IPASculpin IPA

Ballast Point Brewing Company visit their website

Originally named Northstar IPA. Debuted in 2005.

(Beer added by: brentk56 on 04-02-2006)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sculpin IPA Alström Bros

cjargyros, Mar 16, 2013
4.75/5  rDev +7.7%

As soon as I opened this one, the hops came flying across the room in full bold force. I was expecting an IBU number of 150+

Dont care what the actual IBU is, but the bouquet was outstanding and the taste was even far better.

I now have to say, it is now my favorite IPA. This one was as close to perfect as I expect out of an IPA.

The first taste was great, the mouthful was better and the aftertaste even better Beer Heaven as it should be

:Review Update: I realize that in my initial review, I was too excited about this beer that I never really described it.

But I will say, that HOPS did come flying across the room. They were strong and constant hops that helped maintain the bitterness of this beer with the malt. Nicely balanced.
The aftertaste was almost better than the initial tastes!

You dont run across many beers like this one. Anyone who is serious in beer tasting needs to try this one.

03/15/13
Another tasting of Sculpin. This was really the first time since I've read about how some hoppy beers need to be consumed soon. In fact one person, told me specifically that Sculpin needs to be consumed within 3 or 4 months after release.

Well, in the past two years, I have had about 8 Sculpins spaced over time. 3 of them were from a shipment we received in early 2012. The rest of them we took shipment in January of this year. Tonight, I had one from early 2012.. With my eyes closed, there was nothing that took away from this beer! Now the appearance wasn't as great. It had a cloudy haze initially.
Tonite , I used one of my Duvel Tulip glasses that I think showed off more of the cloudiness.
Its been about 10 minutes from the initial pour. Still a bit cloudy, but not as before. The grassy citrus grapefruit nose was present again, perhaps just a tad off from the newer ones, but still for me, deserved the 5.... So, I guess the younger Sculpins should get a 5.5.

The smooth big body matched with its uncanny bitterness still showcases a great beer

rdilauro, Mar 16, 2013

EROCK75, Mar 15, 2013

EricTheRed, Mar 15, 2013

analienacorn, Mar 15, 2013
4.88/5  rDev +10.7%

Picked up a sixer for $13.49, just getting into IPAs and this was the most I have ever paid in my life for a sixer, but man oh man....was it worth it.

12 oz bottle poured into a tulip glass.

A- Bright orange golden amber like a sunset over Malibu in a glass.

S- Wow! What a great aroma of pine, orange, grapefruit, and flowers

T- Amazing, the first sip was pure nirvana. Rich but crisp, hoppy up front but it ever so gently turns into a bouquet of citrus and pine. The bitter hoppy after taste lingers just enough then just disolves away in your mouth like orange cotton candy. Simply a work of palette art.

M- Smooth and no residue lingering at all.

O- The best tasting beer that I have ever had. Its like getting kicked in the mouth with a pair of fuzzy slippers dipped in sweet nectar. Amazingly good and worthy of the price and hype. I am eager to see how it holds up against the other big hitters. Was a step above the Stones I have tried.

hopfen, Mar 15, 2013
4.41/5  rDev 0%

12 oz bottle poured into snifter.

Appearance-pours medium orange with a 1 finger white head, not much lacing but some. 3.75

Aroma-grapefruit and orange dominate the early smell. Followed by a earthy pine that adds a little more depth. Dried apricot is in there as well. 4.25

Taste-The taste follows the aroma exactly. Two grapefruits battling in your mouth, first is sweet the other is bitter. Then comes the outdoors, pine and honeysuckle. Lots of orange in there as well. Great even taste. 4.5

Feel-light to medium body, very easy to drink, nice carbonation. 4.5

Overall-Surprised, yes I am. Didn't quite expect this beer to be this good. Very well balanced and drinkable as hell. Surprised that this is a 7% abv beer, yes. I would put this beer up there with the doubles that get all the hype. 4.5

screamking, Mar 15, 2013
4.08/5  rDev -7.5%

Pours a cloudy gold with typical lace. Lots of sweet orange on the nose, very nice. Taste? Well, maybe mine is a tad stale from being on the shelf for a bit, but I’m not seeing where this beer’s legendary status comes from. I get a fair amount of juicy orange, which I like, but it doesn’t have the biggest bite and there’s a funky aftertaste I can’t quite place. A good one for sure, but it wouldn’t make my personal IPA top-10.

VALIS666, Mar 15, 2013

TheBeerAlmanac, Mar 14, 2013

wardenclyffe, Mar 14, 2013
4.84/5  rDev +9.8%

Ballast Point Brewing Company - Sculpin India Pale Ale - 1pt 6fl oz bottle

I had been recommended this brew from a friend, and I am so glad I finally got around to trying it!

Look - Nice bottle artwork. Pours golden copper with a smaller, soapy head. Great lacing. Moderate carbonation. Great looking brew.

Smell - Fruity (apricots, lemons, etc) with smooth hops. Some malt is detectable when the glass is agitated.

Taste - Smooth, zesty fruit, immediately followed by a blast of bitter (not too bitter) hops. Mini throat bomb (bite) at the end as it goes down. This unique flavor is so well done, similar to Lagunitas Sucks idea but different fruits and stronger hops.

Mouthfeel - Rests hoppy and fruity but comfortable, fades gently. Good drinkability but admittedly a bit boozy here. If I had to pick a minor flaw, it would be here.

Overall - Great, full bodied, unique as hell IPA. Intriguing blend, would highly recommend.

JMScowcroft, Mar 14, 2013

yeaprolly, Mar 14, 2013
4.85/5  rDev +10%

Very nice IPA. Aroma mellow citrus fruits, well balanced but not screaming pine like some good IPAs. Slight passion fruit. No head retention, not that pretty. Light amber. Very well balanced with sharp but quickly fading citrus fruit. Beautiful bitterness it finish with a sharp tang at the end. Great mouth feel. Coats your mouth. Overall very nice, not the best IPA in the world anymore but still up there.

flydudehsv, Mar 14, 2013