Sculpin IPA - Ballast Point Brewing Company

Sculpin IPASculpin IPA

Wants: 1,035
Ballast Point Brewing Company visit their website

Originally named Northstar IPA. Debuted in 2005.

(Beer added by: brentk56 on 04-02-2006)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sculpin IPA Alström Bros

3.25/5  rDev -26.3%

4.79/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a bottle into a Stone enjoy by pint glass

Appearance: Pale amber, slight haze, one and a half finger of frothy marshmallow head. Only a little lacing which I was a little disappointed in.

Smell: Pretty much just like you had a handful of hops and crushed them in your hand and then took a deep breath. A little citrus and pine but 99.9% is hops.

Taste: WOW. I am not the biggest IPA fan but this beer just blew me away in the taste category. The first sip is like biting into a juicy orange/mango/pineapple/grape fruit hybrid. Gradually the hops and grapefruit begin to take over with some pine and malts also detectable. Absolutely amazing flavor, that is all you need to know.

Mouthfeel: Great carbonation, nice dryish finish, no alcohol burn.

Overall: This is my new favorite IPA for sure. Only complaints that I find is the lack of lacing and maybe wish the citrus came through a little more in the smell.

4.5/5  rDev +2%

Heard a lot about this ale but finally got to taste it. Wegmans put some single 12oz bottles in the mix a pack area, thanks.
This is probably the best ipa I had out of a bottle. Thought the malt had what I thought would be overwhelming like too much honey malt. Not sure they use honey malt, but anyway if they did it was within boundaries to my taste. The hops schedule is very nice leaving the mango apricot citrus lingering for a long time on the palate. Smell is very good. Perfect lacing.
I like it. Can't wait to try it from a keg.

4.91/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

On tap at Nobi Public House in Webster, Texas.

Wow. I'm not an IPA fan.. or at least I don't think I am.. but after having this.. maybe I am... I liked Bell's Hopslam when I had it... really good.. but it didn't make me want to drink another.

I like Saint Arnold's double IPA Endeavour a lot.. but I generally only drink one every once in a while when new kegs hit the Houston area.

The first on tap IPA I really liked was Hop Manna from Shmaltz.... but this was even way better than that.

So much grapefruit smell and taste.. AND it wasn't an overpowering bitter finish.. it was still hops bittery... but it didn't overpower anything else..so dang good.

I haven't had Pliny or that top east coast IPA... but I'll be very impressed if they are better than this for me.

Oh yeah.. Ballast Point.. thanks for finally coming to Texas!

Sculpin IPA from Ballast Point Brewing Company