Sculpin IPA - Ballast Point Brewing Company

Sculpin IPASculpin IPA

Ballast Point Brewing Company visit their website

Originally named Northstar IPA. Debuted in 2005.

(Beer added by: brentk56 on 04-02-2006)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sculpin IPA Alström Bros

dudeabides76, Feb 05, 2012
4.5/5  rDev +2%

22 oz bomber, no date on the bottle, poured into a snifter.

A- Pours a dark orange color, a bit on the copper / red side, produces a finger and a half of creamy light tan head, leaves excellent lacing.

S- Big juicy citrus aroma, also some tropical fruits and a touch of honey. Some resiny pine. It's a very bright, refreshing aroma.

T- Super fruity and juicy like the aroma, loads of grapefruit, mango and peach, hops provide a solid leafy, green bitterness and flowers, some honey mixes in with the tropical fruit, alcohol is totally hidden, malts are subtle and pale and lend a sugar cookie sweetness as the beer warms.

M- Medium-bodied, smooth feel, a bit sticky on the end with a dry, leafy finish.

O- An amazing IPA, super flavorful and drinkable. I'm a big fan of the citrus-forward IPAs, if I could get this in Chicago I would buy it all the time.

WillCarrera, Feb 05, 2012

choover14, Feb 05, 2012

prender1482, Feb 04, 2012

mikebrigga, Feb 04, 2012

BelJen, Feb 04, 2012
4.47/5  rDev +1.4%

12 oz. bottle poured into a standard pint glass.

A - Nice two finger head, leaves a beautiful lacing on the rim. Very light colored transparent copper - orange.

S - Very citrusy up front. Smooth pine and hops on the finish. One of the most delicious smelling IPAs I have come across.

T - Nice tropical and citrus fruits perfectly balanced with a dry bitterness from the hops. Some sweet malts that I did not pick up in the nose. Easy drinking.

M - Good carbonation and texture. If I were going to be picky I would like a tiny bit more carbonation. A bit dry, but this works to leave me wanting more.

O - I had high expectations of this beer and I was not disappointed. Great West Coast IPA with exceptional balance and drinkability. I was happy to be able to get this one fresh at Abe's. I will definitely get this one again.

NoLeafClover44, Feb 03, 2012

DrHoptagon, Feb 02, 2012
4.18/5  rDev -5.2%

On draft at Pizza Paradiso in Old Town

Review from notes (from yesterday):

Pours an orange color with a nice one finger off white head. Good lacing on my glass. Clear in appearance. Nose is tropical fruit, along with a little lemon zest. Definitely nice smelling IPA. The taste follows suit, and is excellent. Feel is medium w/ a thin malt backbone and somewhat dry finish. Overall, a great IPA- and one I'll have again. Cheers.

jayhawk73, Feb 02, 2012
3.5/5  rDev -20.6%

Bjeerfalls, Feb 01, 2012

DelicateDelirium, Feb 01, 2012
1.93/5  rDev -56.2%

I used to really love Sculpin. I would periodically stop by the Scripps Ranch brewery and fill up a growler at least once a month. Many times I'd stop by the brewery just to get a pint. Life was good, and I was excited to have such a world class brew within a few minutes of my house.

Then something changed. I'm not sure what - the hops, the blending, whatever - I'm not a brewer so I can't explain it. I'd say it happened about a year ago. The aroma changed. The taste drastically changed. It just wasn't the beer I fell in love with. Tropical notes all but vanished. The bitterness was heightened. The fresh piney hints turned sour and "urinal-like."

Maybe my tastes have changed. I guess it's possible. Maybe I need to visit the Home Brew Mart location for a final test since all of this ranting is based from multiple, different growlers and pints at the Scripps tasting bar. But each pint and growler fill pushes me away. Last night I did the unthinkable: drain poured a 1/2 growler of this mess.

If there really is an alternate recipe, please BP go back to your roots. Let me once again give this golden drink the score it deserves.

jamex, Jan 31, 2012

herrorara, Jan 31, 2012

jumbopanda, Jan 31, 2012
4.25/5  rDev -3.6%

Poured on tap in a 5 oz tulip glass at Haven Gastropub. Reviewed from notes. Expectations very high.

A- Thick fluffy white head. Light orange coloration. Extremely well carbonated. Sticky, fluffy lacing.

S- Very hoppy and light fruits. Light but strong smell. Nice.

T- Crisp, dry hops. Very flavorful. Wonderful dry bitter flavor.

M- Medium bodied, well carbonated.

O- Best IPA I've ever had.

Murrhey, Jan 31, 2012

Orange colored Indian Pale Ale with a soapy head with wonderful lacing. Overall the hop profile was good, the beer was almost oddly smooth for 7% abv, with a fantastic lingering mildly bitter hop finish. Overall, a solid and smooth IPA definitely worthy of a try but did not really live up to the hype in my opinion.

zander4dawin, Jan 30, 2012