Sculpin IPA - Ballast Point Brewing Company

Sculpin IPASculpin IPA

Ballast Point Brewing Company visit their website

Originally named Northstar IPA. Debuted in 2005.

(Beer added by: brentk56 on 04-02-2006)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sculpin IPA Alström Bros
rfgetz

4.28/5  rDev -2.9%

A- Hazy golden straw color... full fluffy white head. Good retention and lacing.

S- Definite citrusy grapefruit hops. Some pine and spice. Some sweeter fruit (peach). Decent malty backbone.

T- Sweet and Grapefruity hops, hints of pine, spice. Nice malt backbone to knock down the bitter end a touch.

M- Medium bodied, slightly sticky, sweet aftertaste.

D- Very good flavor. Very good beer.

09-20-2009 17:49:35 | More by rfgetz
atremains

4.78/5  rDev +8.4%

Good thing cbutova is on the look out 24/7. Pours a hazy gold that clears over time. Nice thick head that has some fight in it, lacing is moderate, carbonation fueled the head immediately and is not visible in the body. Smell is phenomenal: lemon, mango, orange, apricot. This has got to be the best smelling beer I've come across. The taste follows the nose quite strictly. The hop explosion it produces is amazing. I could use a little bit more of the fruit from the nose but then again that might cause an imbalance so this is a tough call. It's an extremely well balanced beer, a little on the hoppier side of the IPA style. The mouthfeel is nice and full (for an IPA), with a dry finish that leaves you salivating and thirsty for more. This beer has exceeded my expectations of what an IPA can be. Ballast Point wins with this one.

09-20-2009 04:17:39 | More by atremains
cbutova

The elusive Sculpin has been caught. I would have saved this for #100 but it's an IPA and I wanted to drink it as fresh as possible. Grabbed this one at Table and Vine in W. Springfield today, they had 3 cases, I snagged the last two on the shelf (maybe more in the back). Pours a very golden color with a hint of orange, has a very bubbly two finger head that retains very well for an IPA, the carbonation on the pour is extreme, pour it carefully. Thick lacing is left on my pint glass as I drink this bad boy. Smell here is probably the best beer smell I have ever put my hands on. So much great things going on, a huge fruity aspect to the beer (mangos, peach, apricot, lemon), the sweeter fruits perfectly balanced by floral and piney hops, greatness. Taste is a bit different than the smell, less of a fruit characteristic but still enough to be very noticeable, a huge aggressive hop blast comes onto the tongue but backs off as you swallow to allow a very good sweet fruity taste to come through with an eventual delicious hop after taste. A very complex smelling and tasting beer. Mouthfeel is very well carbonated, medium bodied and a bit oily, maybe a TINY bit of alcohol warming but no alcohol taste = a very well balanced mouthfeel, I hate to give all 5s but its starting to look that way. Drinkability is great, the taste is enough for me to drink this all day long, its not filling, the price ($10) was worth it any day of the week, no bad flavors to ruin this one over time, and I would buy this one again over and over and over.

09-20-2009 04:06:11 | More by cbutova
somabeer

4.8/5  rDev +8.8%

I love poking my head into city beer on the way home from the week. You find great surprises on tap.

Poured into a 'lil 10 oz glass. The beer was a light gold almost a honey color. The smell was exquisite. There is a lot of citrus going on; orange, pineapple and lots of grapefruit. also a good amount of the classy west coast pine hoppiness there.

The taste is even better than the smell. Pure hoppiness goodness. It is incredible even with all the grapefruit hop going on it's not overwhelmingly bitter. This is beer is very well balanced and god damn delicious. There is mild carbonation here, and the beer surprisingly unsyrupy and with the 7% this beer is dangerously drinkable!

09-18-2009 21:08:59 | More by somabeer
capra12

4.33/5  rDev -1.8%

Reviewed at the Gotham Cask Festival at Rattle N Hum enjoyed with a new friend Sam aka Cootercaster on 9/11/09. Thanks to Sam for letting me know about a highly rated IPA and also Patrick from RNH for hosting.

Appareance: Slightly cloudy and wheat/amber in color with little head.

Smell: There most prominent nose in this was fresh pine and grapefruit.

Taste: Opens earthy and piney which carries over to the end with an almost mellowness and subtle malt backbone. Right in the middle to the end there is a hint of citrus leaving a mildy hoppy aftertaste but very enjoyable

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with minimal carbonation and slightly dry.

Drinkability: With out a doubt I would have this again and is definitely worth a try.

Serving type: cask

09-16-2009 05:31:12 | More by capra12
Gyle41386

South Carolina

4.7/5  rDev +6.6%

Poured from a bomber into a mug. Words cannot express how excited I was to finally have an opportunity to try this beer.

Pours a very vibrant, clear golden-orange. The pour was a careful one in order to fit 22 ounces of beer into a 24 oz vessel, so the head is sitting at about two fingers' width. The head retention is remarkable and leaves behind sticky streaks of lacing.

Oh man, oh man, oh man, I absolutely LOVE a citrus-forward IPA, and, from the smell of it, I'm going to love Sculpin. Just loads and loads of pineapple, grapefruit, and sweet oranges, as well as what I'm sure are a variety of other fruit scents, like mango, peach, apricot, and other random ridiculous deliciousness. Some further investigation reveals some sugary sweet malt and pine resin. Can I buy this as an air freshener?

I wanted to wait awhile to take my first sip, at least until the head went away, but I just couldn't stand it any longer. I had to. By the way, I know I mentioned the head retention earlier, but those same two fingers of foam stuck around pretty much the entire time. Ridiculous!

The flavor follows the nose, though it falls just short of producing a taste to match the aroma. One of the things I'm loving the most is that I'm tasting all of this delicious, seemingly tropical fruit, with no harsh bitter interruption. Great example of being hoppy without being a palate destroyer. Even then, given the grapefruit that's present, there's a light bitterness in the finish, but it's quite pleasant. No real hint of alcohol in the flavor, just a bit of a warming sensation as I near the bottom of the glass. I feel bad for complaining about it, but if just a little more tropical fruitiness came through in the flavor, just enough to follow up on the smell, this would be a 5, too.

I can drink Sculpin like it's water, which is bittersweet, because this is my only bottle. It's a nice, creamy drinker. I'd put the body right near medium, with a nice little tingle from the carbonation. Just a delicious beer. One of the best I've ever had, no question. Definitely keeping it on the Wants list.

09-14-2009 03:41:27 | More by Gyle41386
NorCalYeti

4.33/5  rDev -1.8%

taste- crisp, clean, bitter, lemon peel, citrus oil

color- light gold

clarity- clear

smell- floral, candy, citrus fruit, grapefruit, sourness

body- light-medium weight mouthfeel, medium-length bitter hop finish...most of the weight is at the front of the palate

appearance- nice candy white head when first poured then little carbonation and faint lace after

overall impression- solid effort, medium-weight ipa...easy drinker, interesting sweet and sour balance, a little leaner than i'm used to tasting in a 7% ipa

09-13-2009 05:38:57 | More by NorCalYeti
Reaper16

Alabama

4.65/5  rDev +5.4%

Big ups to BdubleEdubleRUN for sending me this!
served from a 22oz. bomber into a New Belgium globe

Pours a hazy lemon yellow with three fingers of eggshell head. The head lasted for many minutes and didn't begin to recede until I started drinking it a lot. Lacing was nice and notchy. The score gets elevated to 4.5 because of the lacing.

Mmmmm, hoppy! The nose is chock full of various fruits. Whatever amalgam of lupulin Ballast Point used to generate this mix of mango, white peach, white grape, pineapple & starfruit is a heavenly amalgam indeed. Its pleasurable enough just on the merits of fruitiness, but deeper smells reveal piny resins. If they made a cologne of this I would clone myself, make my clone wear it and engage in sexual intercourse with my clone.

Mmmmm, hoppy! The taste, thank God, follows the nose. Such fruitiness! Yesss. Resins and oily hops meet white peach, grapefruit, pineapple and mango. Some lightly toasted biscuit on the back end and on burps. The more you drink Sculpin the more pronounced the bitter resin aftertaste is. I wish that I could write more, but it would be redundant. This is awesome.

The mouthfeel is exactly where I like my IPAs: light and prickly with carbonation. The reason that this hophead prefers the IPA style over its Imperial/Double sized brother is because of the thinner mouthfeel. At their best, IPAs feel like you're drinking a sort of hop juice, and Sculpin achieves this better than any other IPA that I've had. Drinkability is also superb; at only 7% I could drink multiple bombers in an evening.

The only problem with drinking multiple bombers in an evening is the fact that I can't actually buy Sculpin where I live. If I could, rest assured, I would buy it with an addict's frequency.

I must indulge myself here and compare this to Two Hearted Ale. Bell's Two Hearted is my favorite beer. By the time I finish my second of two bombers of Sculpin my mind may be changed. Sculpin is much less floral than Two Hearted, but much more pronounced in fruit characteristics. Also, if you've read my Two Hearted review then you know that I love Two Hearted so much partly because of its odd artwork. I have lovingly nicknamed it "Fish Beer." Well, Sculpin is named after a fish and features the sculpin fish on its label. So this is also "Fish Beer." Maybe this will end up tying Two Hearted as my favorite beer. That I spent a paragraph comparing Ballast Point Sculpin to my favorite beer -- asserting that it might be my new favorite -- is proof enough for me that this beer is brilliant and rightfully deserving of its accolades.

09-13-2009 02:02:16 | More by Reaper16
Doomcifer

Rhode Island

4.15/5  rDev -5.9%

Pours an ever so slightly hazy golden with a massive, frothy white head that retains remarkably well. Sticky icky too.

Smells of INTENSE hop resin. Tropical fruitiness poking through along with pine and citrus but just beautiful IMMENSE resin aromas bitchslapping me in the face.

Taste is extremely hop forward, duh...initial citrus burst then grapefruit coming through, followed by more ultra-resin, wacky tobaccy-like flavors. I wanna soak my buds in this, put it in my pipe, and smoke it. Very bitter finish but not as astringent as expected. I would even venture to say it is juicy...hop juice.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, just right on carbonation, with a medium-dry, crisp finish.

Immensely drinkable. I would love for this to be available in 6'ers. Can't stop smelling this liquid crack. The world needs more single IPA's with this much flavor. Although, I don't find myself drinking this very often due to the inflated pricetag.

09-12-2009 23:00:37 | More by Doomcifer
scifan

4.22/5  rDev -4.3%

So I'd heard all the hype about this beer and was wondering if I would ever be able to try such a highly acclaimed IPA. Well I was in my local bottle shop the other day and what did I spy out of the corner of my eye, the ever elusive Sculpin. Anyway on to the review.
Poured from my 22 into my awaiting tulip. Pours a bright, clear golden color with a nice full white head. Smells exceptional. Buckets and buckets of juicy tropical, citrus, hops hit my nose like a ton of bricks. I could smell this thing as soon as I cracked the bottle. I'm picking up a hint of sweet pale malt lingering in background. Taste almost of good as it smells. Again lots of citrus flavors oranges, lemon, and I'm thinking a touch of pineapple as well. Hops are amazing. Not really much balance here but who cares!!! There's an intense blast of bitterness at end. Good mouthfeel and nice carbonation. This stuff is crazy drinkable I can't get enough.

09-12-2009 03:20:28 | More by scifan
khiasmus

South Carolina

4.22/5  rDev -4.3%

Clarity. Glowing, a golden glow, the sea at dusk, the fishies all pottering about their daily lives, and one in particular, a Sculpin, of course, a couple-finger-tall white head that floats about and leaves a sticky lacing along the walls as it drifts. Can one smell under-water? There has to be that possibility...
So the aroma, then, a ton of grapefruit, of course, an almost singeing, absurd amount of citric notes, he swims about lazily, caring nothing for the world, and a faint tinge of alcohol. A small amount of sugar seems to balance a bit, but only like a mild sprinkling of white sugar does on the top of a red grapefruit... so take a bite.
Mmmm... and much the same. Ruby red grapefruit juice, the whole way down. More flavor than bitterness, some peaches in there as he runs away from a hook.
Not many bubbles float off of his tail as he swims about, a mild creaminess in the mouthfeel, and he'll live to swim another day, a lightly bitter finish, but what can you expect for grapefruit juice? lightly warming in the finish.
He can swim like this all of the night, few cares in the world, the love of many, enjoyed by few. Here's to the night.

09-12-2009 00:20:07 | More by khiasmus
itcomesnpints

3.98/5  rDev -9.8%

On cask at Rattle N' Hum (NYC)

Golden, clear, typical IPA appearance, EXCEPT...no head, lacing or bubbles. Flat.

Very citrusy nose. Oranges, grapefruit. Blast of fresh hops.

Hop flavor rises tall above hop bitterness. Orange and strawberries. This is one juicy IPA.

Again, completely flat. I knew it was a problem the instant I saw them fill the glass. This was very unfortunate considering the caliber of this IPA.

I can tell this IPA would be right up there with the best of them (RR, Odell, Stone) if carbonated properly.

I have to rate the Sculpin I had, not the Sculpin I wish I could have had.

Serving type: cask

09-11-2009 21:05:06 | More by itcomesnpints
nickd717

4.58/5  rDev +3.9%

Fresh bottle shared by bring - thanks for "bring"ing this! Upon opening the bottle, it's obvious that this beer is legit. Awesome, intense floral hops waft from the bottle. This absolutely dominated Alpine Pure Hoppiness in a side-by-side, and that's saying something.

A - Pours bright golden-amber with a well-formed white head and good lacing.

S - Aroma is floral hops, tropical fruit, and sweet malt. Really intense and awesome.

T - Sweet pale/caramel malt, floral hops, as well as some grapefruit notes and a little pine. Also a hint of pineapple. Incredibly well-balanced and good.

M - Body medium for the style with nice prickly carbonation and lingering fresh hops on the finish, lasting for a long time.

D - Very high. I couldn't get enough of this stuff.

09-10-2009 00:53:59 | More by nickd717
womencantsail

4.83/5  rDev +9.5%

On tap at Stone.

A: A clear pale golden color with a fluffy white head and nice lacing.

S: I could have just sat there and smelled this thing all day long. Amazing hop character, particularly citrus (grapefruit), mango, and pineapple.

T: Like the nose indicates, quite a bit of fruit in this one. Especially the grapefruit and pineapple. An excellent piney bitterness on the finish. The malt is very absent, and that is very much appreciated.

M: Moderately carbonated, which works quite well for this beer. Medium body.

D: One of the easiest drinking and most well rounded IPAs I've had...ever. An absolutely amazing beer.

09-09-2009 07:29:10 | More by womencantsail
DLXSF86

4.78/5  rDev +8.4%

a friend of mine picked this up for me at the Port Brewery and said they just got in it. i don't see a bottling date but couldn't be too bad.

A) pored a golden yellow, maybe a little copper color in it. little fluffy head with decent retention.

S) citrus, melon, little hint of pine. absolutely excellent for my preference.

T) citrus hops, melon, good bitterness finish, not too much malt (which i prefer in an IPA)

M) medium-body, easy drinking

D) overall a very drinkable and delicious IPA. i would definitely drink another one when the time comes.

09-05-2009 00:34:50 | More by DLXSF86
mhatters

4.5/5  rDev +2%

Poured from a 22oz bottle at Devil's Den

Pours a slightly hazy light brassy color with an orange tint. A thick white head that leaves a solid lace residue

Loads of citrus and light fruit in the nose. Mango, grapefruit, peach, orange, all together and lovely

The fruit is in the flavor too, really crisp citrus hops with a pine balance. Not a hint of malt but I do not miss it.

Carbonation is just right, the body is right where it should be - really a great feel and finish.

I have been hearing about Sculpin for a long time and was thrilled to have it. A great, great IPA and a beer I wish I could have to drink all day

09-04-2009 22:13:12 | More by mhatters
rye726

Colorado

4.78/5  rDev +8.4%

Pours an orangish cedar color with a silky white head. Excellent lacing and retention.

Nose has wild peaches, ripe apricots, orange, grapefruit and big floral hops. Rich bready malts keep a perfect balance.

Taste has fresh fruits, bitter hops and creamy malts up front followed by an explosion of piney hops that lasts through the finish.

Medium body is delicately carbonated. Long hoppy finish as well.

This is the best single IPA I have ever tasted. Truly superb. Will have to try Dorado next.

09-04-2009 21:44:35 | More by rye726
bluemoonswoon

4.4/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Was at the Blind Pig in Champaign last weekend and saw they had this on their bottle list and had to give it a try. This may not be as fresh as it could be, I don't know the day/month this beer was originally released, but it has been kept in a cooler for at least that long I think so it shouldn't have deteriorated too much hopefully.

From a 22oz bomber into a tulip glass.

A: Pours out a light and clear amber (which is a testament to how bright this beer really is because the brightness of this beer was evident even in the very very low light of the bar) with thick and heavy ropes of carbonation curing up the sides of the glass. The beer supports an inch and a half thick, bone white head that sticks around for the duration but leaves scant lacing, odd.

S: Piny in a word. Almost sour, very earthy. Like walking in a pine forest after a rain storm in the spring. Not sure what I was expecting here, perhaps something sweeter and fruitier, but this is none the less interesting and certainly one of the more unique aromas I've come across in an IPA, but compared to some others I've sampled this one does not blow me away as much as other IPAs have in the past.

T/MF: All pine, pine cones, pine needles, very very dry, yet a slight bit of white peach is able to slip through this forest and join forces with a sharp lemony-peppery character along with a dose of cedar and spruce for good measure. Feel is very tight, draws closely over the entire tongue and refuses to yield but remains springy and lively enough to not get bogged down in the heavy/sticky bitterness that other aggressively hopped IPAs tend to do.

D: It's always difficult with beers that have a reputation. You tend to want to see more than there is to make it live up the hype you may have bought into. Do other beers display the some combination of dry and woody hoppiness that this beer displays? I am sure that others do, in fact, I am sure that other beers I have reviewed myself display similar characteristics but I don't look as hard/imagine them to be there as much as I would do/do do with a beer with a reputation similar to this one. Yes this beer is good, yes it drinks quite easily but does it distinguish itself from the multitude of other IPAs with just as big or even bigger of a reputation? Yes and no. Yes the character of this beer is unique, different from most others that I have tried but it does not really jive with how I perceive the best of the best to taste. I suppose this is just a long way of saying that this beer is good but not great.

EDIT:

Picked up a bomber of this today and was more certain of it's freshness than my previous review. Most everything is similar but everything pops a bit more, like the volume on the aroma and taste and feel were all turned up a couple of notches. The beer is also much prettier in natural light versus the dim light of a bar.

09-01-2009 18:25:28 | More by bluemoonswoon
mikey711

4.33/5  rDev -1.8%

Received in a trade with Buckeyenation. Thanks Brad!

A much anticipated beer for me to try. It poured a golden yellow with lots of carbonation that provided a frothy two finger thick head. The carbonation lingered for a little while providing ample time to smell this treat.

S: Lots of citrus fruity notes. Mango, apricot, peach, pineapple, grapefruit. They don't blend together but rather are all easily picked out. Right up there as one of the best smelling beers.

T: Pine notes come through initially but transition into the fruitiness I smelled before and then it finishes with bitterness again. The sweetness is present in the finish, but takes a back seat to the hops.

M: It is rich, yet light. The bitterness is not harsh at all and very inviting in terms of bringing you back for the next sip. he grapefruit really is the flavor that lingers the most.

D: Probably right past the edge of what is deemed sessionable, it is very easy to put back a few pints of this no problem. A beer that I would definitely want to try again. Just flavor all around.

08-31-2009 21:20:14 | More by mikey711
Trappissed

4.88/5  rDev +10.7%

Alright, this one lives up to the hype. Finally snagged a bottle of one of these beers. Hard to believe it took this long, considering I live in the same city its brewed. On to the review:

Smell instantly stunned me. I would give it an 8 if I could. A huge bouquet of citrus sweetness. Tangerine, orange, grapefruit, maybe even a little melon and honey. Taste was equally amazing. All the same citrus flavors(and the melon), with a touch of hoppy bitterness on the end. No pine to speak of though, which is a good thing for my preferences.

A little more of a slick mouthfeel than I was expecting, but still very acceptable. Perfect drinkability and delicious, what more could you want in an IPA? If I found this at a bar, I don't think I would leave until the keg was tapped.

08-29-2009 08:44:58 | More by Trappissed
digitalbullet

4.25/5  rDev -3.6%

Apperance: clear golden with a thin head that dissapates quickly. ... Hey is this a bud in disguise?
Smell: this is no bud. Hops hops and more hops dominate. Light citrus with an awesome floral componant.
Taste: pine needles, citrus and hops. What else is there to say?
Mouthfeel: light and crisp. Great for a warm summer evening.
Drinkability. This is a great IPA. On par with PtE.

08-29-2009 05:22:35 | More by digitalbullet
kbeals

4.22/5  rDev -4.3%

Great extra thrown in by masterchiefMD. Thanks again Chris!

A- 22 oz. bomber decanted into a pint glass yields a hazy golden wheat colored ale. Plenty of creamy white head adorns this beauty, lending to wonderful head retention and an incredible multi-tiered lacing.

S- Tremendous smells of freshly peeled grapefruit come through, along with a bit of peach and lemon. Also has a sweet, toffee-like undertone to it. Well balanced aroma for an IPA.

T- I wish the taste were as well balanced as the smell. The hops really dominate this one, but I have come to expect that from any IPA. The sweet malts do come through just a bit, but all they seem to do is knock down the usual bitter finish. This beer still finishes bitter, but not dry.

M- Light-bodied and very crisp. Not as much carbonation as other IPA's, but I think it plays very well in this beer.

D- Easily drinkable, I had this knocked out pretty fast.

I am usually quite skeptical of IPA's, expecting them to all be the same. However, Sculpin seems to have better balance than most other IPA's. A perfect beer for any summer night. Glad I got to try this one, Chris!

08-29-2009 01:33:40 | More by kbeals
CoolJosh

4.1/5  rDev -7%

Great extra sent from DRINKNDRIVE and included in the Gentleman's BIF by SrandyCarter. Big ups to both of yas.

Poured from a bomber, pours a beautiful lofty white soft cloud like head. Very clear rusty orange body that looks very clean, and easy to drink. This is what a Double Ipa should strive for.

My buddy Dyan put it best when describing this beer at a the graduation tasting. It's like sticking your nose into a tropical fruit bowl. There's an awesome dank super stink smell that is so enthralling. Some peach, some appricot, slight graininess. Fairly dry.

Ultra refreshing. Some simco adds a nice and unoverwhelming dry grapefruit. Very light, some lemon, grapefruit and some grassy flavors. Very like mango and apricot flavors. Well done!

08-28-2009 02:03:59 | More by CoolJosh
portia99

3.98/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22oz bottle poured into a Portsmouth goblet.

A - Pours a beautiful pale orange gold - crystal clear with a thick 1 finger white head. Head consists of very fine bubbles giving a whipped creamy appearance and lasts for quite a while. Leaves nice, sticky lacing down the sides of the glass.

S - The aroma is of fresh squeezed grapefruit juice. Smells magnificent. Only the slightest of bready malt aromas appear. This one screams citrus hops all the way, and in a good way.

T - Hmmm, mostly excellent flavor to this beer, but there is a flavor in here that I can't quite identify. Flavor is primarily fresh grapefruit, like the aroma. Quite bitter but with a tinge of sweetness on the side to round things out. Not much malt flavor in this. Now...for that other flavor. It reminds me of Peach flavored Jelly Belly jelly beans - which quite honestly don't taste very "peachy" to me. In fact, I can only describe them as tasting "sweaty". By this, I don't mean literally, as in salty. They taste like sweaty armpits smell - not very appealling. I've noticed this in other beers, but none so much as in Sculpin - especially when very fresh. Usually, when I mention this, people look at me funny, but when they try a jelly bean they start to understand. I sat on this bottle for about a month to see if this would go away...and it did to a large extent, but is still present. Still quite a good, flavorful IPA, I just can't get entirely past this nuance. Keeps it from being truly exceptional for me.

M - Mouthfeel is very smooth. Carbonation is made of tiny, prickly bubbles. Body is medium. Bitterness lingers well into the aftertaste.

D - This is a very rich and flavorful beer. Goes down fairly smooth...especially for a 7% beer. Alcohol really doesn't play a factor here from a feel standpoint, but might catch up with me if I had a couple. The odd, off flavor reduces the overall drinkability for me, but still not bad - not quite sessionable though.

08-28-2009 01:12:39 | More by portia99
thedindaniel

A - Very light orange to darker yellow color, but transparent.

S - Piny but fruity for sure, like grapefruits for me.

T - Not overwhelming like some of the other hop bombs that exist out there but definitely not balanced, which I like. Almost not malt flavors at all.

M - Finishes very crisp and clean.

D - EASY to drink a lot of, which is deceiving with its 7% abv.

Once again this is not a balanced IPA so purists might hate on it a little. If you're a fan of West Coast IPA's get it for sure. It's my favorite IPA and I managed to even rank it the highest at a blind IPA tasting night, speaks for itself.

08-24-2009 19:29:26 | More by thedindaniel