Sculpin IPA - Ballast Point Brewing Company

Sculpin IPASculpin IPA

Wants: 1,002
Ballast Point Brewing Company visit their website

Originally named Northstar IPA. Debuted in 2005.

(Beer added by: brentk56 on 04-02-2006)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sculpin IPA Alström Bros
4.18/5  rDev -5.2%

On draft at Pizza Paradiso in Old Town

Review from notes (from yesterday):

Pours an orange color with a nice one finger off white head. Good lacing on my glass. Clear in appearance. Nose is tropical fruit, along with a little lemon zest. Definitely nice smelling IPA. The taste follows suit, and is excellent. Feel is medium w/ a thin malt backbone and somewhat dry finish. Overall, a great IPA- and one I'll have again. Cheers.

jayhawk73, Feb 02, 2012
3.5/5  rDev -20.6%

Bjeerfalls, Feb 01, 2012
4.25/5  rDev -3.6%

DelicateDelirium, Feb 01, 2012
1.93/5  rDev -56.2%

I used to really love Sculpin. I would periodically stop by the Scripps Ranch brewery and fill up a growler at least once a month. Many times I'd stop by the brewery just to get a pint. Life was good, and I was excited to have such a world class brew within a few minutes of my house.

Then something changed. I'm not sure what - the hops, the blending, whatever - I'm not a brewer so I can't explain it. I'd say it happened about a year ago. The aroma changed. The taste drastically changed. It just wasn't the beer I fell in love with. Tropical notes all but vanished. The bitterness was heightened. The fresh piney hints turned sour and "urinal-like."

Maybe my tastes have changed. I guess it's possible. Maybe I need to visit the Home Brew Mart location for a final test since all of this ranting is based from multiple, different growlers and pints at the Scripps tasting bar. But each pint and growler fill pushes me away. Last night I did the unthinkable: drain poured a 1/2 growler of this mess.

If there really is an alternate recipe, please BP go back to your roots. Let me once again give this golden drink the score it deserves.

jamex, Jan 31, 2012

herrorara, Jan 31, 2012

jumbopanda, Jan 31, 2012
4.25/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured on tap in a 5 oz tulip glass at Haven Gastropub. Reviewed from notes. Expectations very high.

A- Thick fluffy white head. Light orange coloration. Extremely well carbonated. Sticky, fluffy lacing.

S- Very hoppy and light fruits. Light but strong smell. Nice.

T- Crisp, dry hops. Very flavorful. Wonderful dry bitter flavor.

M- Medium bodied, well carbonated.

O- Best IPA I've ever had.

Murrhey, Jan 31, 2012

Orange colored Indian Pale Ale with a soapy head with wonderful lacing. Overall the hop profile was good, the beer was almost oddly smooth for 7% abv, with a fantastic lingering mildly bitter hop finish. Overall, a solid and smooth IPA definitely worthy of a try but did not really live up to the hype in my opinion.

zander4dawin, Jan 30, 2012

danskyad, Jan 29, 2012

calcio360jrd, Jan 29, 2012

dcloeren, Jan 28, 2012
4.47/5  rDev +1.4%

Received this in a trade from Heymanivxx - thank you!

Poured from bomber to pint glass.

A - The beer pours with a slight hazy gold color with a 2 finger creamy white bubbly head with nice lacing and retention.

S - Great tropical hints up front: pineapple, passion fruit, orange, and apples. There is not much malt aroma but it's a nice smell for sure.

T/M - After the aroma I expected a sweet fruity flavor, I didn't get much of that. It starts crisp on the tongue. Quickly transitions to a subdued flavor I got in the aroma and meets a medium bitterness with a nice sweet malt character for a nice balance. The beer ends slightly sweet with a mild bitterness and incredibly smooth. Good carbonation and light to medium mouthfeel.

D - Yes

Overall, I was pleased with this beer and I'd highly recommend it. I don't know how fresh this sample was bit it tasted great and I wish I had another.

Reviewed on: 02-03-2011 02:39:54

hopfacebrew, Jan 27, 2012

stafford2, Jan 27, 2012

beef13, Jan 27, 2012

Color is light amber to orange, with a huge soapy head that lasts and lasts. Lots of lacing on the glass too - this one's a beauty. The smell is other-worldly, with citrus hop scents assaulting the senses - mango, pineapple, and orange. Huge hop flavors continue into the taste as well. Delicious grapefruit bitterness builds through a crescendo that peaks with a tangy bite in the finish. Hop oils coat the tongue, and put a smile on my face. Perfect carbonation. If you love beer with a big citrus hop taste like me, you must try this one. It's one of the best. I don't see anything that can be improved.

DeltaGolfSierra, Jan 27, 2012