Sculpin IPA - Ballast Point Brewing Company

Sculpin IPASculpin IPA

Wants: 1,181
Ballast Point Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: brentk56 on 04-02-2006

Originally named Northstar IPA. Debuted in 2005.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 11,186 | Reviews: 2,297

4.62/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Served on tap into a standard pint glass.

A- This beer is a crystal clear golden color with a thin white head that quickly dissipates. Little lacing noted. Very attractive IPA.

S- HUGE hop nose with a variety of citrus that jump out.

T- A great hop bitterness, with a small amount of malt. No apparent alcohol makes this dangerously drinkable.

M- Light to medium bodied beer. I need to research what type of yeast Ballast Point uses because I love how this beer is fermented. Not dry but at the same time does not have an overly sweet malt character.

O- Overall this beer is difficult for me to score. It is one of my favorite beers, not to mention one of the best IPA's I have had the opportunity to have. I usually prefer beers that are very balanced, but this beer is the exception to that. The hops definitely dominate this beer, but they are so complex, and so well done that I have a difficult time even mentioning any issues with its lack of balance.

GREAT IPA...GREAT BEER!! This is one of my go to favorites and I have a hard time not ordering it any time I see it on tap.

4.67/5  rDev +5.9%

I had been hearing a lot about the Sculpin IPA, but being in the east coast, it's been hard to spot any, especially a batch that's fresh.

Luckily, a store nearby had 6 packs of 12oz'ers that were only a month old. It was extremely overpriced, but I bit the bullet, and boy was it worth it!

This all happened during Sandy, when I had nothing to do - no power, no lights, no nothing. Thankful to have had a 6-pack of this beautiful beer.

Poured into a BK brewery snifter. Poured a light copper colored gold hue with medium retention and nice lacing.

The nose really surprised me. It's tropical, citrusy, but with enough malt to balance it out. There's some grassiness thrown in there as well. As far as beer aromas go, this was my clear favorite.

Taste is similar to the nose, but there was an added bit of herbal, grassy complexity. Beautifully bright, tropical, fruity, grassy...I loved it. However, like the nose, it wasn't all hops, there's enough malt here to even it out just enough. My gosh, this is such a beautiful beer. I wish I could have this everyday, fresh off the tap.

Mouthfeel is on the medium side. Carbonated, crisp, but mildly creamy and smooth. It's amazing how vividly I remember all the details of this beer.

If you see it on shelf, and it's reasonably fresh, go get it irrespective of the price. Too bad I don't live in San Diego.

4.39/5  rDev -0.5%

4.75/5  rDev +7.7%

Enjoyed this brew on tap out of a standard pint glass at Frisco’s in Columbia, MD.

A: Pours a slightly hazy golden hue with a thin 2-finger white head that quickly dissipates into a wispy lace.

S: Huge complex hoppy aroma with a blend of many citrus fruits.

T: Hoppy bitter brew, again with a fruity background. Hints of citrus and pine in the middle and finishes nice and hoppy.

M: Medium body and medium carbonation.

O: This was a really good American IPA – not my favorite and was little disappointed because it was hyped up so much. But I enjoyed it thoroughly and would grab it again.

Photo of

You rated this beer. Add a review.

4.25/5  rDev -3.6%

4.5/5  rDev +2%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Sculpin IPA from Ballast Point Brewing Company