Sculpin IPA - Ballast Point Brewing Company

Sculpin IPASculpin IPA

Ballast Point Brewing Company visit their website

Originally named Northstar IPA. Debuted in 2005.

(Beer added by: brentk56 on 04-02-2006)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sculpin IPA Alström Bros
4.97/5  rDev +12.7%

22oz bottle poured into a pint. the guy at the store guaranteed this to be less than a month old.

A- pours a yellowish orange color. quite light colored for an IPA but very similar in color to the ever so popular Pliny. a vigorous pour produced an extreme amount of head with heavy lacing. I don't expect much malt to come in play but the hops look to be in full force.

S- sharp citric acidic hoppiness. a barrage of tropical fruits. orange, lemon, and grapefruit. it is not extremely complex but it's so strong and inviting. it's really exactly what I want from an IPA and honestly probably as good as it gets.

T- perfect mix of bitter citrus and sweetness with a little bit of breadiness coming in from the light malt proflie. very well balanced and smooth all the way through. no taste is overbearing and I can taste that they loaded all the hops they could into the 7% malt profile.

M- very full bodied for an IPA. carbonation is at a pleasant and well integrated level. a bit of stickiness from all the hops, too. again, nothing but flawless in this category.

D- I'd like to see somebody try to take a glass of Sculpin away from me. If I hadn't just dropped $80 dollars on KBS, I would have cleared the Sculpin from shelves of this store. I haven't even had it before but reviews on this site have said it's exceptional and I can not disagree in the least. Pick up as much as you can drink in the near future whenever you see this beer on the shelves

Freethyhops, Mar 21, 2010
4.38/5  rDev -0.7%

A - Light golden orange color. Quarter inch of of thick head that dissipates quickly.

S - Strong citrus notes: tangerine, grapefruit, and pine.

T - Great hop flavor with a solid malt backbone to keep it in check.

M - Straight forward with a reasonably smooth finish. A nice lingering hop flavor that keeps you wanting more.

D - This comes in a close second to Nelson as a AIPA that I wish I could get on a regular basis.

neorunner, Mar 21, 2010
3.85/5  rDev -12.7%

Got this from a friend at a local beer store...

A: Light gold color with a thick 2 inch white head that fades slowly. Awesome look.

S: Smells of heavy grapefruit and hops upfront. Slight honey and earthy scent in the middle with and candi sugars on the backend. Very good.

T: Super bitter hops upfront. Earthy light fruits and grapefruit in the middle with honey hidden on the backend. Not much of a hop man personally.

M: Refreshing, but not as refreshing as most IPA's. Leaves a dry bitter flavor on your palate. Not for me.

D: Get past the wall of hops and you can get this down.

All in all, this is a fantastic brew if you want super hops. I'm not a hop man myself. This is super dry and hoppy. If you want some malts and sweet flavors, than this is not your brew.

steve8robin, Mar 21, 2010
4.7/5  rDev +6.6%

Officially my favorite single IPA.

Flavor is almost like a double, with ludicrous amounts of hops. Smells like its brewed with grapefruit. Wonderful deep orange color and perfectly clear. I could drink this all day, and a few times I have.

Only knock against it is the price, but this is maybe the only 9 dollar a bomber IPA that I think is EASILY worth it.

md655321, Mar 20, 2010
4.22/5  rDev -4.3%

Poured from a bomber into my tulip glass.
Color is a very pale straw yellow color. Almost crystal clear with a small amount of carbonation bubbles. Head is a gorgeous fluffy slightly off white color of about 2 fingers. Very nice retention onto the sides of the glass.

Awesome fresh hoppy aroma. Pink grapefruit, minneola tangelo almost a sweet sugar cookie like aroma from the light malts. A touch of clementine and also maybe a bit of lemon. I could definitely sit here and smell this one for a while.

Theres slightly less going on in the taste department compared to the aroma. The grapefruit is there. The sugar cookie is there as well. Some of the tangelo and orange flavors aren't there. The flavor definitely doesn't linger. It's there and then after the swallow it's gone. A small amount of bitterness on the end.

Mouthfeel is nicely done. Pretty light bodied and smooth. Goes down easily. This could be sessioned at a lower price point. Light on the carbonation.

Overall drinkability would good. I could easily drink this all the time. I can't say it's the best American IPA in the world. Having just had Bling Pig, and Founders The Chronic recently.I can't put this up there with those two. I would maybe put it in the top 10 though.

BigMike, Mar 17, 2010
4.6/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Went out beerhunting tonight (no KBS, sadly!) but I did find some Sculpin. In Massachusetts! And the beermongers assured me it was fresh. Well, okay then! Rushed home, fridged one up and poured into a Stone IPA tulip.

A - Sculpin pours a fizzy pale copper with a thick, foamy head. Starts 2 fingers and comes down to a nice thick 1 finger. Lacing is big and fluffy down the glass. Very pretty.

S - Sculpin smells great. I pick out the hops (duh) and there's smells of fresh cut grass and citrus. It's one of the best sweet and sharp smelling IPA's I've had the pleasure of sticking my nose in.

T - There's a nice balance to this beer. The hops are more present and sharp. There's not an overly astringent note, but there's a great, fresh wet hop taste with grapefruit, mango, and lemon zest. I'm liking this a lot.

M / D - Mouthfeel is wonderful, as fizzy as it should be and doesn't leave a lingering astringency. It's also very drinkable, I went through the bomber with no issues and could have had another.

Sculpin gets a lot of hype out here, and it's a beer that does well to live up to it. It's a fresh, easy drinking IPA with good hop flavor and a really nice finish. Highly recommend (though, that $10.99 a bomber is hard to swallow...)

mutterfudder, Mar 17, 2010
4.72/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

L: Pours a nice golden yellow orange color with a medium bodied tall white colored head that laces the glass nicely on the way down.
S: Smells of sweet toasted malts, hints of citrus-y lemony and orange aromas, and then a nice big piney, floral, citrus-y hop aroma at the end of the nose.
T: Tastes of sweet toasted malts then a big dry hoppy tastes, followed with slight tastes of lemon, orange, mango, then a big floral, piney, citrus-y hop finish that is really nice.
M: Very crisp, refreshing, light to medium bodied, perfect amount of carbonation.
D: Very drinkable, this one is excellent with a decent amount of alcohol and huge flavors it is one excellent IPA.

erosier, Mar 16, 2010
4.63/5  rDev +5%

i want to give this beer all 5's but i actually feel there possibly could be a better IPA out there somewhere... maybe. i really do think this is the best IPA i have ever had.

a- pours a deep orange sunset type color, big old white puffy head, tons of carbonation, and perfect lacing... could you ask for anymore?!?!

s- an array of floral hops and fruit bomb galore. so fresh and potent i can smell the fruit in the glass 2 or 3 feet from it.

t&m- so good. so so so sooo good!! pineapple, guava, mango, lemon, lime, orange, raspberry, strawberry, and on and on and on. total fruit bomb on every level, to the sweet fruits right to the bitter ones and back to the citrus ones. all of this fruit is complimented by a nice amount of hops, not overpowering and not overriding the original fruity taste. a slight bitter feel on the taste, just enough to leave your mouth puckering for more and not make you lick your mouth clean and brace yourself for another shot.

d- damn near perfect. i had trouble giving it all 5's for the fact that i think the hops were a little weak and i would like to see a little bit more added to this beer without it having that peatmoss and pine tree taste and keeping the high levels of fruits. i could argue this beer on to anyones top 5 favorite IPA list.

caresville, Mar 16, 2010
4.38/5  rDev -0.7%

22oz. bottle poured into an imperial pint. No bottled date. Major thanks to mb2696 for the bottle!

(A)- Pours a clear orange color that produced a beautiful fluffy white head that is just sticking & clinging to the sides of the glass as if the foam didnt want to dissipate. It did, it just took awhile.

(S)- Creamy lemon, pineapple, mango, & peach citrus that has a burst of pine behind it. Great fruits that are actually almost tropical together. Bits of honey-like malts in the background.

(T)- Wow, a huge dryness up front that totally dries out the mouth until it overflows with the same creamy citrus/tropical fruits from the smell. A much more pronounced pine bitterness than what was in the smell brings up the rear with an even bigger dryness than the start. Not much malt, but just a touch of honey-like cream comes through: very subtle though.

(M)- A great carbonation level and balance even if its a huge fruit/hop bomb of a beer. The massive dryness is really dynamic when combined with the great creamy fruits & piney bitterness. Great feel & character for the style.

(D)- A great example of a great IPA. Rather fruit driven that I enjoy. Goes down easy & tastes great. What I like about it is that it wasnt just made to draw higher IBUs, but that it balances all of the things that makes a great IPA. Fantastic brew!

sweemzander, Mar 14, 2010
4.45/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

From notes:
Purchased from Southbay Drugs
Clear golden pour with a voluminous white head. Amazing retention and copious lacing.
Piney hop and citrus perfume subsides into a consistently hoppy aroma.
The flavor is lean and hoppy. As the beer warms, some fruitiness emerges, I never quite got the mango/pineapple flavors that others describe, but this definitely gets better the longer you let it warm.
The mouthfeel is soft and cushioned on the palate.
Drinkability is very high too.
I wasn't sure what to expect from such an overly hyped beer, but I was not disappointed. Very good IPA.

kwakwhore, Mar 13, 2010
3.9/5  rDev -11.6%

Pours a little golden hue. no fizz but definitely visual signs of carbonation, no head. Very nice aroma. lots of citrus and pine . It gives off a nice medium bitter aroma. This beer is light bodied. I feel like a lot of breweries will have a huge hop bomb backed by some malt, but not this one (those beers are also usually 9% and up, this is under 8%, this note is probably referring to the fact that I drink more DIPAs than IPAs). The taste is pretty good. This seems similar with it intentions as beers like Hop Juice: all about the hops, not the malt. The flavor leans more towards the citrus notes than anything, leaving a slight grapefruit taste in your mouth. The pine notes are there to balance it out, but not too much. This beer is has a bunch of flavor is not in your face. There's no direct attack from the hops, but they don't go unnoticed. Start to finish your getting a bouqet of flavors. I think as the beer warms up a tad some sweet flavors some out. Notes of grapefruit are really starting to show. I think for me to really enjoy that I'd like more malt, but it's a minor complaint.

100floods, Mar 08, 2010
3.53/5  rDev -20%

Served poured out of a bomber into a pint glass, lots of initial carbonation in the bottle but poured very smoothly, medium amount of head, dissipates pretty quickly but stays around due to constant release of carbonation.

Didn't appear cloudy at all, looks like it has been filtered , definitely glows when held up to the light, golden coloring.

Smell is not too intense for an IPA, between all the flavors I detect the bitterness of the hops coming through the most. I get no sweet smell, small amount of citrus but mostly the bitter west coast style IPA.

Taste follows the smell, it's all hop bitterness with not too much malt in there although I get a little more of that than in the smell. Very solid flavor though, consistent and stays with you after you throw it back for quite some time.

Pretty thin mouthfeel due to the small amount of malt in this one, I think they probably just threw barley in there with a single kind of hops to maintain a single flavor throughout the tasting which they definitely achieved.

Overall, likeable beer but forgettable. Maybe I got a bad one or something but I think this one may be a little sandbagged in the overall grade it snags on here. I guess that basically I was expecting a bit more than I got in the flavor and feel of the beer. This one was really just the big eye IPA with a greater amount of hops in it so not too exciting.

dwilson01, Mar 07, 2010
4.5/5  rDev +2%

Pour - big, bright orange and yellow with a glow that makes you think of that first morning sunrise of a long vacation. This is all topped off with a big fluffy white head.

Aroma - tropical fruits (mangoes, pineapples, papaya, guava) and loads of tangerine and grapefruit to boot. This smells heavenly, such a great mixture of fresh piney goodness from the hops. Its pungent and enticing, I am drawn in immediately.

Taste - big juicy tropical fruit flavors mesh with a great balance of cotton candy like malt sweetness. Its a perfect match for the big hop profile that Sculpin is packing. Pineapple and grapefruit really stand out on the tongue with just the right amount of bitterness and astringency but again this is backed up nicely by the sweetness.

Overall - absolutely excellent American IPA and one that stands out even amongst so many great choices on the shelves these days. This is what the discriminating hophead craves.

Would I buy more of it? - yes, yes, yes. Next time its released fresh I'll be stocking up on this super fine fish.

indiapaleale, Mar 07, 2010
4.83/5  rDev +9.5%

Bocktown had this on tap, it lasted from Wednesday nights tasting to mid day Thursday. I'm glad I stopped in for some lunch time beers on Thursday. Appears a pale copper hue with a bubbling bright white head, forms intricate fine lacing down the sides of my glass as it dwindles. Aromatics have a full blown hop garden going on with bountiful citrusy graperfruit and tropical fruit tones, raw floral and herbal qualities as well, with some mild sweetness making it's way from the pale malts. Flavor was brazenly bitter full on assault of bitter orange peel pith, floral herbal hops, and again tropical fruit juiciness. Pale malts gave enough bread and biscuit components just to balance out the huge hop profile. Killer experience I can't wait to try more from these guys, mouthfeel was oily resinous medium bodied ale. Soft mellow carbonation made this one lubricatingly smooth experience, drinkable as all hell. I'm 100% sold and I'm glad I found this brew that I have been trying to track down for over 5 yrs now, a welcome addition to the Pittsburgh beer scene.

WVbeergeek, Mar 06, 2010
4.47/5  rDev +1.4%

Got this bottle in a trade with Sideswipe... Poured it into my New Belgium Globe glass.

Pours a coppery apricot color with a solid finger of frothy bone white head. Retention is great! Lace is clinging hard just from the head settling. Brilliantly clear. I will flat out say that this looks incredible.

I smell some sweet malts and then it's hop city. Grapefruit and pineapple, and lemony/orangey apricots. I also smell a little bit of fresh-cut flowers, but I don't know what to call it (other than flowery), but it reminds me more of the smell of actually CUTTING the flowers' stems, not of the petals.

Taste is very nice. Well balanced between malts and hops. Starts off with a pleasant malt front, sweet up front... Then the bitterness hits as it slides to the back of my tongue. I do taste grapefruity hops with a little pine rosin sensation as the hop oils coat my mouth and teeth. This thing isn't so bitter that it rips the enamel off, but it is certainly hoppy! I don't have the IBU info here, but it has to be around 100 or higher!

Finish is nice. Ends on another sweet note, which is nice. The aftertaste that lingers reminds me of having sucked on an orange slice 5 minutes ago... This is one that makes me not want to eat or drink anything else, for fear of losing that aftertaste. If I had more of this, I would have another one!

AleWatcher, Mar 06, 2010
4.85/5  rDev +10%

Had as part of a tasting at the Ballast Point Brewing Company. Served on tap in a tasting glass.

A-old gold body and a nice thick off white head.

S-nice tangerine and citrus smell

T-so much flavor. malt caresses the tongue and pine and citrus flavors pop up here and there.

M-medium to light

D-such a great beer. very smooth. Flavors in this beer just seem to pop. Nice and complex.

jneiswender, Mar 05, 2010
4.38/5  rDev -0.7%

Intro: Considered rare where I live (Massachusetts),the Sculpin has quite a reputation...
Appearance:Golden haze with a nice lacing similar to Smuttynose Finest Kind
Smell:Great typical American Hop profile(Citrus,Lemon,Mango etc.).Fruity,Piney...no noticeable malt like DFH
Taste:Hops all the way..all that I love in American I.P.A's..a bitterness that smacks you in the face like Green Flash West Coast I.P.A..a faint trace of sweetness but clearly hops are the main course
Mouthfeel:Good Carbonation that maintains retention throughout
Drinkability:goes down like the best of them..although for $10 for a bomber in MA(when you can find it) i think it would be better to just mix West Coast I.P.A & Torpedo I.P.A cause that's what it tastes like

tlamond, Mar 04, 2010
4.7/5  rDev +6.6%

Had this one in a pint glass from a 22 oz. bomber immediately following a Pliny the Elder. Let's see how it stacks up.

Appearance: Pours a beautiful golden amber color that is effervescently hazy. It has a thinnish one- to two-finger head that leaves some moderate lacing on the glass.

Smell: This has one has a fantastically diverse scent of hops to it. Just about every wonderful hop smell you can imagine comes out in this one. There are the bright fruity scent, the resinous pines and of course the acidic citruses. There's also an ever-present undercurrent of deliciously sweet caramel malts that tie the whole thing together.

Taste: The hops are tied together very nicely in the taste, as well, although they are just a touch too subdued to give this brew the ultimate score. Regardless, they are woven together masterfully and the sweet malts just make them seem like are smothered in sugar. This is a fantastically smooth and complex IPA.

Mouthfeel: This is a very nicely carbonated and crisp IPA. It's easy to forget that this is just a single IPA until you notice the mouthfeel which is pleasantly medium-bodied. This is no gripe on the beer, though, as this just makes it all the more drinkable.

Drinkability: This is an endlessly drinkable beer. It's not an overly hopped West Coast IPA (although it's definitely of the West Coast variety) and will definitely leave your palate able to take more - lots more. This is a beer that I just never want to stop drinking.

Overall, this is truly a special IPA. Since I had it just after a Pliny the Elder I'd have to give the nod to the PtE but I hate to make such a comparison because this is an exceptional beer. It's a tremendously intricate IPA and is worth every effort in being sought out. Top-notch beer.

zoso493, Mar 04, 2010
3.73/5  rDev -15.4%

A - Pours a great golden color. Moderate white head, with average retention and little lacing.

S - Smells like a great example of an IPA. Moderate citrus & pine with a generous amount of hops.

T - Hops at the forefront of course, with a decent citrus & light pine backing. There's a noticeable bitter tang in the aftertaste, but not unpleasantly so.

M - Good carbonation which mellows the bitter IPA sting.

D - This is a fairly easy drinker. I found myself drinking it a bit faster than normal.

djaeon, Mar 04, 2010
4.55/5  rDev +3.2%

Pours a bubbly golden body with an enormous off white thick bubbly head. This beer leaves a lot of lacing as it subsides, very nice.

Smells very hoppy, tons of pine notes with even more grapefruit. A very fruity aroma, lots of pear, grapefruit, peach and lemon. Terrific nose, hard to improve on this aroma.

Big and hoppy! Just how I enjoy IPAs, tons of hop bitterness and variety. Lots of grapefruit, pine, lemon, pear, mango and just overall terrific hop profile. Not much malt noticeable, just a slight bready backbone. Very well done, near perfection.

Mouthfeel is light and bubbly, carbonation is on the higher end of the spectrum for an IPA, but I like it.

Drinkability is very good, pleasure on the palate, I wish I could drink it all day long.

pmccallum86, Mar 03, 2010
4.38/5  rDev -0.7%

650 mL bottle at refrigerator temperature poured into a snifter.

A - Bright golden body with a delicately-laced, frothy cappuccino head.

S - Beautiful and inviting. Lots of tropical fruit, floral notes, and citrus. The tropical fruits that are most prominent are mango, papaya, and pineapple - all sweet and juicy fruits. Just a touch of medicinal aromas on the finish.

T - So well-balanced. The sweetness of the fruit flavors combined with the citric, slightly piney bitterness work so well together.

M - Perfect carbonation - crisp and refreshing. No cloying stickiness here, unlike many other IPAs.

D - Wow. This is just about the most perfect IPA I can imagine. I found myself continuing to go back for more - it's almost too good to savor, you just keep taking sips. An absolute must-try for any beer lover, and especially so for lovers of fruity, floral IPAs.

vrazionale, Mar 03, 2010
4.43/5  rDev +0.5%

Pours a creamy golden/orange with slight white head. Some nice lacing and carbonation evident.

Smell is outstanding, hops with strong citrus and peach smells. A very pleasant smelling beer.

Taste is very light, refreshing but still very hop forward. Citrus is obvious and lingers in the aftertaste. Malt is very subdued.

Mouthfeel very smooth, creamy, and pleasant. Very easy to drink.... i've gotten so used to the harshness of some DIPAs that this is a nice change of pace.

Very drinkable beer and one you could drink multiples of in a sitting. Glad I finally got to try it, but sadly this qualifies as another beer that, good as it is, is hard to keep justifying at the price point.

mechamifune, Mar 02, 2010
4.5/5  rDev +2%

Got lucky to try this little dandy at a Ballast Point Pairing at my local Whole Foods last night. From notes on 2/28/2010.

A: Pours a warm orangey yellow with a very exuberant off-white head.

S: A very fragrant peach and mango aroma with the hops lurking in the background.

T: On first sip the peach flavor hits your tongue and then gently fades to the bitter hops as it moves across the palate.

M: Amazing balance in flavor that leaves a mild lingering bitter aftertaste that rapidly fades.

D: Refreshing, flavorful, and balanced. This one gets an overall "noms +" from me.

irishgurl4, Mar 02, 2010
4.53/5  rDev +2.7%

22 ounce bomber acquired via trade from JesseTheHut. Thanks Jesse! This is the start of my west coast IPA tour!

The Sculpin IPA pours a brilliantly bright gold color with lots of carbonated bubbles flowing from the SN etched pint glass. A very frothy 2 finger head that does not go away throughout the brew. This is one of the best looking heads I have ever seen. Aromas are pleasantly hops with lot of fruits including apricots, lemons and grapefruit. Quaff is dominated with hops. Also some of the same citrus fruits from the aroma and also pine flavors. No alcohol is noted in the quaff but wow the hops in this are amazing. A hop heads dream come true. Mouthfeel is crispy and full bodied. Drinkability is unbelievable... Flavor profile is intense but incredible. Thanks again Jesse for giving me the chance to try this.

abrand, Feb 28, 2010
4.28/5  rDev -2.9%

Bottle pours clear amber orange color with off white head. Aroma is pine, grass, pinapple, and lemon. There are just wonderful citrus flavors not typically present in other beers in this style and this one has them all in one. Medium mouthfeel. Flavors follow the nose and finish dry. Really nice beer and one I'd drink regularly if I could.

fiver29, Feb 28, 2010