Longfin Lager - Ballast Point Brewing Company

Longfin LagerLongfin Lager

good

Ballast Point Brewing Company visit their website

Munich Helles Lager |  4.60% ABV

(Beer added by: Floydster on 09-29-2007)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters

ToriBug13

3.23/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Ballast Point Brewing Longfin Lager

A- Pale straw color- I think it’s clear, but it appears cloudy because of temperature. There was some head, but it quickly dissipated.

S- My biggest pet peeve of lagers across the board “it smells like beer,” meaning there is no distinctive or discerning smell. It just smells like cheap boozy Budweiser. Right now I’m beginning to wonder if maybe this sample was old. I looked for a date, but didn’t see one. This just does not seem like something from Ballast Point, usually they’re amazing.

T- So disappointed in this taste. It tastes like high end Budweiser, just as it smelled. Crisp, light, refreshing, sure. But boring. Not bad, just boring. I keep looking for anything to make it unique or special, but nothing. So luckily, tonight I’m taking home one of their new cans of the Longfin, hopefully I am proven wrong and my sample was just old. I promise to re-review this beer because I love the brewery so much. They definitely need another shot.

07-17-2013 16:04:07 | More by ToriBug13

3.25/5  rDev -8.2%

07-02-2013 23:53:20 | More by nyyfanatic213
tone77

3.03/5  rDev -14.4%

Thanks to woodychandler for yet another canned beer. Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a yellow color with a 1 inch head. Smell is mild, some malts, a touch of sweetness to it. Taste is light and mild, malts, a bit of hops at the finish, not exactly bursting with flavor. Feels light in the mouth and overall is a mediocre beer.

Serving type: can

06-14-2013 07:27:45 | More by Rudy
woodychandler

3.85/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

At long last, nepotism rears its ugly head on The CANQuest (TM)! For those not in the know, I write for Ale Street News (and others) while my cousin, Colby Chandler, is the specialty brewer at Ballast Point B.C. It has been a closely-unguarded secret for some time and I have written about our relationship as well as making appearances with Colby at various venues and events. He knows of my affinity for CANned beer and especially craft CANs, so when they began CANning their beers, he knew precisely who to send some for a fair and balanced review. I will begin with their Lager as I am unCANvinced that a west-coast ale brewer CAN change his spots and brew a quality lager.

From the CAN: "Handcrafted & CANned in San Diego, California"; "Dedicated to the Craft"; "San Diego Helles Lager"; "A classic German beer, brewed in San Diego"; "Our Longfin Lager has become one of the go-to beers with the team at the brewery. A solidly balanced Helles that finishes clean with a hint of hops. It would easily fit in at any German beer garden. But we think that it's perfect for enjoying on the beach, the boat or anywhere else you [CAN] put an ice chest full of beer."

Okay, Cuz, come wid it! The Crack revealed yet another brimful craft CAN and I hope that the big boys are paying attention because this is how to make the CANsumer feel like they have gotten their money's worth. An inverted Glug later and we were off and running. I briefly had a finger of fizzy, foamy, bone-white head that quickly dissipated into wisps, leaving just a skim across the top in its wake. Color was a pale, straw-yellow with NE-quality clarity and I once again want to mention the plight of Lincoln, NE's own Val MidWest who has been cited for public nudity while trespassing on private property. Ha! She may beat this one and I will stop there. Say, a fizzy yellow beer from San Diego (County), California ... Doesn't someone else from the area have some choice words to say about such things? Nose is good, with a pure lager scent driven by a honey-like sweetness with an underlying grassiness, undoubtedly from Saaz hops. I say "pure" because one of the drawbacks of The CANQuest (TM) has been my repeated exposure to AALs and once I realized what a lager was supposed to taste like and what Prohibition desensitized us into, I wept and CANtinue to weep. Mouthfeel was medium, not overly carbonated as I may have led people to believe with my "fizzy" comment. The taste was more grassy than malty, which straddles a fine line between a German and a Czech but as the site's description reads "... a bit more subdued and in balance with malts", I will bow in deference. It was not as in-your-face as a Czech Pils, lending credence to the CAN's verbiage about being "... solidly balanced", but as a self-avowed hophead, I would now like to challenge my Westie Cuz to make a Czech Pils in a CAN. Finish was, indeed, "... clean with a hint of hops" so kudos for truth in advertising. I think that by "clean," they are referring to the qualities that adjuncts, especially corn, impart in a lager and this was definitely clean. That "hint" business puts me in mind of the old Schlitz slogan, "Just a Kiss of the Hops". What are we? Kissing cousins that I just get a peck on the cheek?!? I want a kiss like my Old Lady's, where she punches me in the mouth with her lips! All jagging aside, this was a solid iteration of the style and would definitely be cooler-worthy in my humble estimation.

Serving type: can

05-28-2013 04:50:03 | More by bca115
chinchill

South Carolina

3.29/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

Undated, recently purchased, 12 oz bottle served in a lager glass. Pours very light with a generous white head and lots of visible carbonation.

The carbonation is medium-high and feels surprisingly soft. Light body.
They must use a similar hop load to Heineken because it has a similar flavor profile, including a hint of skunk in the aroma and aftertaste. Aroma is also pilsner-like, with a stronger hop note than found in the flavor.

O: Aside from the feel, this is a remarkably average lager. Served its purpose, nonetheless. being thirst-quenching and refreshing on this first hot day of summer.

05-23-2013 21:17:32 | More by chinchill

05-12-2013 14:18:51 | More by CheapBeerBuzz
mactrail

Washington

2.89/5  rDev -18.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Kind of a bland and malt-liqourish flavored brew. On tap at Mitch's Seafood by the sport-fishing piers.

Pours a clear amber with a modest head in the big 22 oz glass. More of the club soda taste. Not as crisp as I'd like in a lighter lager, but not very malty either. Drinkable but even less interesting than many industrial lagers. A slight tanginess is about the best I can say for it, and it still has that kind of sweet nearly insipid taste. An earthy tough to the not very bitter hops. I would hope for a good San Diego style lager from somebody around here to counteract all the over-hyped IPAs. However,the closest I can come to a favorite local lager is Craftsman in Pasadena.

05-02-2013 05:06:34 | More by mactrail