1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Victory At Sea Coffee Vanilla Imperial Porter - Ballast Point Brewing Company

Victory At Sea Coffee Vanilla Imperial PorterVictory At Sea Coffee Vanilla Imperial Porter

Ballast Point Brewing Company visit their website

American Porter |  10.00% ABV

"Imperial Porter"

(Beer added by: radshoesbro on 03-17-2009)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Victory At Sea Coffee Vanilla Imperial Porter Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,292 | Reviews: 901 | Show All Ratings:
OStrungT

This beer pours a brown so dark that it looks black in the glass. It boasts a thick brown head that fades very slowly, leaving a great lacing.

This beer smells of fresh vanila beens. Some coffee mixes in. Sweet malt as well. You know what, it kind of smells like Kaluah.

This beer tastes like it smells. Kaluah. Some coffee and some smooth vanila. Maybe a little chocolate. Some toffee also. Great!

This beer is very smooth. The alcohol is well hidden during the entire experience. It leaves a Kaluah aftertaste.

This beer would make a good session beer, but beware of the ABV!

Overall: This beer is great. So complex and good. One of the best I can remember. Ever.

12-14-2009 01:04:03 | More by OStrungT
TexIndy

Had a buddy ship me this direct from the brewery on release day - many thanks Milt! Poured from a 650ml bomber into a pint glass. Awesome artwork on the label. Dec 2009 release date. It was pitch black in color even against the light. It had a good sized tan head that settled into a thin wispy cap with good collar. Much lacing. For a porter it's as good as it gets on appearance.

The aroma is exceptional. Roasted and chocolate malts with lots of great smelling coffee (several recent coffee beers had a weak coffee base but this one nails it). A touch of vanilla in the back. A constant sniffer. The taste was also perfect. Rich, chocolaty base with coffee and vanilla highlights. Finishes with a slight bitterness smoothed out by the vanilla. Amazing flavor. Mouthfeel is rich and creamy with good carb and good aftertaste.

Overall, this is perfection for a porter and a coffee beer. 5's all around and wishing I had gotten more than one. Time to re-order. I could drink this anytime and anywhere. Highest recommendation and definitely worthy of the hype. Rotation: not avail here in TX so had shipped by Milt. Will get more immediately!

01-07-2010 03:26:25 | More by TexIndy
Tilley4

Tennessee

Big thanks to the crew over at Bruisin Ales in Asheville for the chance to try this brew! Gotta pimp their store since it's so awesome...

Poured into a Yazoo Hop Project tulip pint glass..

Pours a magnificent jet black with a thick 1 inch head that stays virtually the entire time I'm enjoying this one... I mean, this one is ridiculously black.. It's RIS black to say the least... Probably the best looking porter I've ever laid eyes on...

Wow, 2 for 2 so far on this one.. A ridiculously tasty aroma of dark bitter chocolate, dark roasted coffee and loads of roasted malts.. There's almost a smokiness here that really makes this one a joy to just stop and smell over and over...

Well, I'm probably enjoying the best porter that I've ever had the privilege to have.. Edmund Fitzgerald from Great Lakes used to be the best I've ever had but this one has just surpassed it.. It's undescribably delicious with its loads of rich dark roasted malts, crushed up roasted dark coffee beans, subtle hints of vanilla, and bitter dark chocolate influences... I almost got emotional while drinking this one... I'm not sure I could ask for much more out of an American Porter than this one offers... At 10%, this one could hammer you quickly but I can't detect a single tinge of booze out of this one.. It's masterfully crafted....The thick creaminess of this one makes it a real pleasure to enjoy as well.. It's thick and rich but not in a cloying way at all... World class in my opinion..

My ratings say it all.. Obviously, others didn't like this one as much as I have, but I really don't care about that... At this point in time, at this moment, this was the perfect beer to me.. I couldn't ask for anything more out of a beer than what this one provided... I will definitely be getting this one again and again... It's terrific..

02-28-2010 03:56:56 | More by Tilley4
Trueant1

What can I say? This one pours perfect! Thick head with gobs of lacing stuck on the sides of the glass. The aroma whiffs through the air as you pour this brew into your favorite glass.

Smells of fresh coffee up front. Many in this style have a "stale" coffee smell. This one is fresh and clean. Sweet chocolate and almost a red wine smell. Alcohol and a hint of "bong water" smells. Fresh wheat grass as well.

MMM! WOW! BLISS! Huge brew. Tastes of creamy chocolate liquid mouse. My BA friend in the room tastes milky way candy bars...and so do I. Bitter/burnt chocolate flavors. Alcoholic and very sugary sweet.

This brew is so thick, so creamy, so bitter, and so smooth. Every thing seems to blend together. The only thing that really stands out is the bitterness, and not in a bad way. One of the best brews I have ever had!
Drink this one warm from the start to get the full flavor profile.

01-05-2011 06:23:27 | More by Trueant1
JeffSpicoli

I love this beer, its appearance, smell, taste, and even the cool bottle. it also has some nice carbonation. you get some nice smoke coming out of the bottle when you open it.

You smell and taste the vanilla, but not extreme at all, to me its more of a blend it softens the strong coffee flavor. I do agree that it is a bit acidic from all the coffee, witch to me its the dominant flavor in the beer, but it blends real nice with the vanilla. you can taste the alcohol but I don't get the burning that some talk about at all. maybe it's just me.

just wanted to add that this beer taste better and better as you drink more. as you know the taste of a beer changes by the time you get to the middle of the glass, and then to the bottom. it also changes even more with some beers, as you drink the second one. I din't get some of the flavors until I got to the middle, where their was a nice taste of chocolate that came into the blend.

you must drink the whole beer to get the best experience out of it. It wont be hard to do, with Victory At Sea Coffee Vanilla Imperial Porter!

01-29-2011 21:33:35 | More by JeffSpicoli
DarthKostrizer

This will be the first beer I give a perfect score to and it has been the only one to date worth a 5

2011 version consumed a few days after the release

Look: Black and totally opaque with a perfect 1 inch foamy head and great retention with some circular lacing. As you drink the beer down it coats the glass and leaves behind a light brown coating. Just beautiful

Smell: Just wonderful gourmet coffee upfront and it might e the best coffee nose I have ever smelled traces of vanilla fill the background nice. Just perfect

Taste: God damn the flavors in this beer are in perfect harmony. The coffee melds so well together with the chocolate and finishes perfectly with just the right amount of vanilla and just a slight amount of alcohol. PERFECT

Mouthfeel: Medium to heavy body with the perfect amount of carbonation. Silky smooth going down and coats the mouth beautifully

Overall: This is truly a perfect imperial porter.

11-09-2011 00:31:39 | More by DarthKostrizer
fnong2

This is my first review for a beer after stalking this website for many months. I had to write about this because it was that good. I shared a bomber with a good friend who is also a BA after tasting a small flight at Tap Room a week ago!

A - Pours black with a finger tan head that lingers. Some lacing on the glass.

S - Strong roasted espresso smell with sweet chocolate and a slight hint of vanilla. If there was a perfect mocha chocolate chip cookie from Betty Crocker, this would be that smell from her oven. I had to smell this for about 30 seconds because it was so heavenly.

T - This beer is a "dude moment." Those moments are rare and they come natural. When you taste a beer that is so good to you, you just exclaim "Dude!" to your company. The taste follows the smell. It was a strong, sweet, roasted espresso in the start that followed with sweet, dark chocolate and a small taste of vanilla at the end. The alcohol is masked very well and only a hint of it comes at the end as the beer warms.

M - Very creamy, rich, and smooth. My taste buds were coated with a silky sweetness.

O - Ballast Point really did their best with this brew! I bought five bombers and wanted to decide if I should age a few after having one. I decided that I'm not going to age them and I will consume them in about a month. I was also planning on giving a few as gifts but I am reconsidering because I want to be greedy with this one! Fantastic beer! Very delicious!

A+

11-18-2011 08:57:37 | More by fnong2
sacrelicio

The perfect coffee porter. Let me elaborate: I had this on my wants for long time, almost a personal whale if you will. I spied a bottle at Whole Foods in NYC (Tribeca) and my eyes popp'd from my head. I purchased the bottle and opened it for my friend's 30th birthday. It was amazing. The coffee and vanilla were decadent and rich with a delicacy that can't be beat.

02-10-2012 22:30:18 | More by sacrelicio
MrVonzipper

Black with solid fluffy 1 finger+ tan head with excellent retention and lace.

Big bright nose. Big roast character. Bright rich vanilla. Bright robust coffee. Amazing nose.

Flavor is perfect with perfect balance and harmony. Just lovely and bright vanilla balanced so well with robust roasted buttery coffee and a touch of cocoa. a touch of bourbon too.

Medium bodies with creamy medium carbonation.

IMHO. A perfect Imperial Porter!

02-16-2012 00:43:23 | More by MrVonzipper
KingEdward

This beer is great! Look is dark brown with nice lacing. Smell is of sugar cookie , milk chocolate, and vanilla. Taste is of milk chocolate, vanilla, and wow! I want this on nitro! Feel is velvet and creme! Awesome. Ballast point rocks! Can'!!!t wait to try more of there beers!

12-16-2012 22:22:47 | More by KingEdward
Dwtucker90

10 oz. pour enjoyed at The Dancing Bear Pub in Waco, TX.

Appearance: espresso black body. Poured with a 1 inch deep brown head which dissipates into a nice thin brown foam after a couple minutes. Pretty heavy lacing all the way around the glass.

Smell: dark roasty black malt with a very forward cappuccino smell with some thick cream sweetness. Brown sugar as well paired with some faint booze. Imagine a dark coffee marshmallow. Delicious.

Taste: black malt, super creamy and sweet. Very much a sweet coffee beer, which probably comes from the vanilla. Tastes like a cappuccino and has an excellent boozy aftertaste that burns well after each sip.

Mouthfeel: super super thick and creamy. Absolutely delicious. Taste the carbonation and coffee texture.

Overall: this is one of the best coffee porters/stouts I've ever had.

04-14-2013 03:18:23 | More by Dwtucker90
wpqx

Ballast Point has outdone themselves on this one. A mind-bogglingly good Imperial Porter that has pronounced vanilla flavor. One of the smoothest imperial porters you are likely to find. A definite coffee and vanilla taste and a wonderful aroma. This beer is incredibly smooth for 10% abv. Search it out, in bottle, on tap, anywhere this is simply put the finest porter I've ever tasted.

08-12-2013 03:15:39 | More by wpqx
BRadStudios

Appearance: Pours thick and black... Looks real good! Had a quick rising head and quickly dissipated to none due to the 10% ABV. Lost of lacing on the glass.

Smell: I picked up the vanilla and chocolate quickly with the sweet notes. Roasty aroma lots coffee busting out. Many other notes I can't point out yet. I love coffee beer so the smell was perfect!

Taste: BIG roasty flavor up front for me. I get vanilla & chocolate then all the dark malts with the coffee at the end. Not a coffee drinker so it really hits at the end for me.

Mouthfeel: Heavy body, some carbonation... what I would expect for a porter. creamy, smooth finish.

Overall: Amazing if you like coffee porters or stouts. This is a must get!

09-22-2013 01:17:25 | More by BRadStudios
grze

This is one of the best beers I've ever had. It should be in top10 in my opinion. Super delicious porter. You can taste the vanilla, coffee, but everything is super balanced, does not overpower each other. Alcohol is barely there, it's a great tasting beer and easy to drink for the ABV

11-14-2013 01:10:06 | More by grze
AndyAvalanche

4.98/5  rDev +13.4%

22 oz. bomber that's been aged about 18 months; poured into a Duvel Tulip Style Glass. Liquid comes out very dark brown, pretty close to black in fact. There are brown highlights and edges. A darker than tan colored head that sticks around for a decent amount of time. The head and liquid itself produces a decent amount of lacing.

Wow does this beer smell great, every swirl makes the aromas dance and scream all the way to your nose. Nice malt backbone (as every porter should have). Huge waves of natural vanilla blended with dark roasted coffee. Smells sweet and big all around.

Taste is 100% truly outstanding in every aspect. I'll certainly put a disclaimer here, I was in the mood for something sweet and this totally hit the spot. As sweet as it is, there is a good balance. The name "Coffee Vanilla Imperial Porter" is truly the perfect description. There may even been the slightest bit of chocolate flavor as well. If you were to wonder what that would taste like, this is exactly it. If this were ice coffee, imagine a dark fresh roasted cup and you're sipping it through a vanilla skewer straw. This is truly the best vanilla flavor in a beer that I've had in something that wasn't barrel aged.

Mouthfeel hit the nail on the head again. Full flavored, but only on the heavier end of medium bodied. Perfect carbonation level, and a great balance of bitter and sweet from the coffee and vanilla. Absolutely no detection of the alcohol, I would have never guessed 10% on this bad boy. Great drinkability here too. Worth sharing, but one person could easily polish it off in a night. Great value too, totally worth the purchase.

04-30-2012 01:47:08 | More by AndyAvalanche
deuschbag

4.97/5  rDev +13.2%

22 oz. poured into a snifter. pours a dark ruby brown color with a good light tan head.

the nose starts off with a slight roasted coffee, chocolate, vanilla smell. but once it gets around room temperature, it's almost like waking up with folgers in your cup. glorious.

taste starts with a nice coffee flavor witch leads to a silky smooth piney hop vanilla heaven.

mouthfeel is soft and smooth.

drinkability is insane. such rich strong aroma and flavors masked behind that 10% alcohol. totally worth the mula.

05-19-2010 05:15:28 | More by deuschbag
Merkur

Tennessee

4.97/5  rDev +13.2%

Had on tap at Tiger Tiger in San Diego.

Beer poured into a snifter glass.

Beer pours a very dark brown with a bit of light brown head.

Beer smells wonderful. First notes is that of vanilla, followed by a nice rich coffee smell.

Beer tastes even better than it smells. The vanilla sweetness at the front end of the sip give way to a nice malty chocolate, followed by some robust coffee flavors. This is hands down the best beer I have ever tasted.

Beer has a good mouthfeel and is not too thick and just the right smoothness.

Probably the best beer I have ever had. The richness of the coffee taste and how the vanilla adds the right amount of sweetness at the right time makes this beer excellent.

Highly, highly recommended.

01-19-2012 01:46:15 | More by Merkur
BeerEngineer

4.96/5  rDev +13%

General: This is from the 2013 release, when I went to the bar they still happened to have some so I picked last years and this years up.

Appearance: Beautiful tan head that diminishes pretty quickly. The color is jet black, I can barely see a light through this. Amazing looking beer.

Aroma: You can tell that this is a coffee vanilla porter right off the bat. The aroma is amazing. It has the expected aroma but there is a great maltiness with a touch of chocolate in it. Great!

Mouthfeel: This coats the mouth the way that you would expect. It's top notch for sure!

Taste: This is the definition of a coffee vanilla imperial porter to me. That's all I can say about it.

Overall: If you see this, but it. It is worth every penny even if you don't normally like an imperial porter. Buy this beer, not sure if the newest version is exactly the same but I will review that one soon.

01-30-2014 04:25:43 | More by BeerEngineer
bsidemix

4.95/5  rDev +12.8%

A: This beer looks like it should look. A nice dark brown with a tan foamy top. Looks delicious.

S: If you take some time to really let your nose sit on top of the pour, you'll get the full smell of a rich coffee with overtones of vanilla and bitter chocolate.

T: Amazing. On the front palate - a sweet, pleasing taste. On the back palate - the full richness of the coffee and malts. Aftertaste - a great mixture of both the sweet and the bitter immediately begging you to take another sip.

M: Exactly what a rich porter should be. Smooth, creamy and clean.

D: I can drink this beer all night and not get tired of the complexity and versatility of the flavor. At 10%, it can sneak up on you if you aren't keeping tabs on your tab.

04-22-2010 18:28:00 | More by bsidemix
Metatron6

Maryland

4.95/5  rDev +12.8%

Tried for the first time in late January and tried again and agaiin. If you only try one beer this month, make it this one.

Bought the big man bottle at Hair of the Dog in Easton. I wish they sold this beer in growlers.

Poured into Sam Adams iconic pint glass.

Its appearance is pitch black, middle of the night. Tunnel dark. Close up to the light rich dark browns are hghlighted. A little head, but quickly recedes. A narrow band continues to rim the glass as you go.

Smell is very pleasing. The coffee and vanilla mixes exceptionally well. It isnt overpowering, but a welcoming scent egging you to deeper. Its that all-too familiar scent of deliciousness that arrests and sends you impulsively in search of its origination.

Taste is as advertised. Hits your lips, buds, tonsils, and gums. Very enveloping. Even better on the way down. Im not a heavy coffee drinker, but you get a satisfyingly warming sensation in your stomach. Even though at 10% its fairly strong, there isnt much of a hint with the alcohol. Its provides a very relaxing buuz

Overall, this beer is ice cream. This is what you want women to taste like. Never a dull moment with beer. Its a take your time and enjoy beer. I can imagine certain cheeses being outstanding with this beverage. Donut pass this one up!

04-08-2013 23:42:23 | More by Metatron6
BeerDawgs

Georgia

4.95/5  rDev +12.8%

A 22oz bomber picked up in GA! New to the state. When I went out to the brewery in 2011, they did not have this one on draft...so finally get to try it.

A - Pitch black, with 2 fingers of head and lace coats the glass all the way down. Beautiful. Looks like a creamy milkshake

S - Huge coffee aroma, roasted grains, and vanilla.

T - Sweet up front...chocolate. Then Espresso coffee kicks in...big time! Vanilla in the aftertaste with a subtle hop aftertaste. ABV well hidden. Unbelievable..

M - Full bodied, creamy, and smooth.

O - The best coffee imperial porter I have ever had. For those from GA, its the Wake N Bake X 2.

02-07-2014 00:35:18 | More by BeerDawgs
ilikebeer03

4.94/5  rDev +12.5%

Poured a 2012 bottle into a snifter to share with my girlfriend. Right away the nose is amazing. The vanilla and coffee are very forward and delicious smelling. Pour is fairly dark, not quite opaque like a stout. A finger or two worth of head. Leaves a nice lacing. Taste is, obviously, the best part of this beer. It follows the nose well. Everything is blended perfectly. The 10% alcohol is completely masked. I wish this beer wasn't a four hour drive from me. I should have gotten more.

01-15-2013 14:03:24 | More by ilikebeer03
pjkelley82

4.94/5  rDev +12.5%

Recieved this as an extra via grze... thanks.. phenomenal pick...

Poured from the bottle into a snifter...

A- poured a dark leather brown color nearly black with a 2 inch brown sugar colored pillowy head... stayed a good amount... left sparce lacing that left quickly...

S- jesus... what a wonerfull coffe aroma.. light vanilla and chocalate with a nice bold smell to it...

T- So rich and bold at first... then what I guess is the vanilla smooths everything out for a moment before a nice roast punch hits you sqare on the back of your throat.. what a great tasting porter... everything is streamlined perfectly and tho at certain points seems exteme it all balances out...

M- Beside Milkstout Nitro on tap this is the creamiest beer ive ever tasted. Full bodied.. not watery not sticky but kinda sticky.. heavy but not too heavy...The Mouthfeel is by far my demise.. best in a bottle I've ever had... very light carbonated but not flat...

O- Yea... I'd say beside a local porter I've had which is dear to my heart.. this is by far the best porter I've had... bottom line.... I can't say anything else...you don't have to like it... but if you don't try this your dumb...

11-17-2013 05:07:21 | More by pjkelley82
biegaman

Ontario (Canada)

4.93/5  rDev +12.3%

As different streams having different sources all mingle their waters in the sea, so very different ingredients have led to this masterful creation. The coffee, however, undoubtedly, looks the most prominent. Victory At Sea is black and no light, no matter how bright, can change that fact. The head, once it casts its net, holds on to the glass forever.

Coffee, roasted malt and vanilla are all equally proportioned in the aroma and, I have to admit, I love them all equally - now I know how difficult a question it is for a parent to choose their favourite child. A scent like this makes you wonder why anyone bothers to barrel-age their stouts when they could achieve better results just adding coffee and vanilla.

Victory At Sea has the kind of profound, enduring, distinguished flavour that is so rich and intense it can be summoned days later. It is monumental. Not an aspect overlooked: lush vanilla bean, decadent chocolate cake, strong coffee, nuttiness, zesty hops and roasted malts. Starbucks could sell just this and be equally as popular and successful.

There are some things about this beer that cannot be overstated, one being how decadently, gratifyingly delicious it is. Another is how well the charred coffee is integrated with lusciously sweet vanilla. From a technical standpoint, the beer is near flawlessly engineered: bitter balances sweet and clean drinkability compensates for over-the-top richness.

One thing is for sure: my mouth and stomach are having a much more enjoyable time with this than my liver probably is. At 10% alcohol, this is surely one of the silkiest, most sensual double-digit strength beer I've had the pleasure of drinking. You'd never catch on if you weren't told. Calorie-counters would know better, but even they'd agree it's worth it.

Ballast Point is as constant as the North Star when it comes to putting out well-crafted, full-character, premier beers but this is not only arguably their greatest offering, but perhaps one of the best America has to offer up as well. Few beers this dark, this big and this rich could be this agreeably delicious and easily enjoyed. I'd swim across the sea if that's what it took to get another bottle. A special thanks to Ultraman9000 for this one!

07-07-2011 01:13:38 | More by biegaman
mkotsayfan

4.93/5  rDev +12.3%

2010 vintage on tap in a snifter at the City Beer Store in SF. Pours a deep dark black with a finger of dark mocha head. The aroma has a very strong vanilla and chocolate presence, along with some roasted malts and coffee notes. The taste has those same pronounced vanilla and chocolate flavors along with a nice balance of coffee flavor. The mouthfeel is medium-thin bodied with decent carbonation, and is velvety smooth and rich.

A great porter, best porter I've ever had. Love to get my hands on some more of this.

11-21-2011 22:27:58 | More by mkotsayfan
Victory At Sea Coffee Vanilla Imperial Porter from Ballast Point Brewing Company