2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Victory At Sea Coffee Vanilla Imperial Porter - Ballast Point Brewing Company

Victory At Sea Coffee Vanilla Imperial PorterVictory At Sea Coffee Vanilla Imperial Porter

Ballast Point Brewing Company visit their website

American Porter |  10.00% ABV

"Imperial Porter"

(Beer added by: radshoesbro on 03-17-2009)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Victory At Sea Coffee Vanilla Imperial Porter Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,315 | Reviews: 904 | Show All Ratings:
AWolfAtTheDoor

4.83/5  rDev +10%

Split a bomber with beer buddy Phil. Live review.

Pours dark with ruby hues showing through when place infront of a light. Nice dark mocha colored head. Not a lot of lacing.

Cold vanilla and a blast of coffee on the nose. This is exciting.

Lots of coffee up front. As the coffee dissipates, the vanilla emerges tentatively. Roasted malts, bitter chocolate round this masterpiece out. Hint of alcohol in there as well.

Really smooth mouthfeel. Not heavy by any means, and certainly does not feel anywhere near 10%. Incredibly well crafted beer.

Overall I'd climb over your mother to get this beer. This beer has been sitting in my fridge for maybe 2 years? Absolutely incredible beer. It was a stretch not to give it full 5s.

10-24-2011 07:34:36 | More by AWolfAtTheDoor
mrelizabeth

4.83/5  rDev +10%

A: Wonderfully dark. Moves in the glass like thick coffee. Tan foam, doesn't last quite as long as I would have liked.

S: Inviting. No alcohol notes. Coffee blends nicely with vanilla, roasted malts.

T: Really great balance of flavors. I got the malts first, followed quickly by the vanilla, then coffee, then a bit of porter at the finish. Smooth with nothing left on your tongue but coffee and vanilla.

M: Clean. Memorable thick and creamy texture.

O: If you are looking for an impressive coffee stout, this one balances more nicely than most. The vanilla shouldn't dissuade you; it adds to the complexity of the beer, but neither it nor the espresso completely overpower the beer. Keep a few bottles of this around for after dinner on a cold night.
*three months and three bottles later, I had to revise my original numbers. this beer only gets better, and is one of the best i've ever had.

01-28-2012 20:34:47 | More by mrelizabeth
fullthrottle77

4.83/5  rDev +10%

Poured from bottle into a snifter glass

A- Very dark brown/black appearance. About a fingers worth of a rust brown colored head.

S- The coffee dominates the nose of this beer. Lots of roasted characters and maybe a slight bit of vanilla. Reminds me of the smell of a coffee shop in the morning.

T- Massive coffee notes blend beautifully with the vanilla. No taste of the 10% abv at all, making this dangerously drinkable.

Overall this is an impressive imperial porter. I'm not really a fan of porters, and prefer stouts, but this beer was excellent. Highly recommend giving it a try. In my opinion at 6.99 this is a bargain for such a top notch brew. Don't hesitate to pick up a bottle.

01-28-2012 21:03:40 | More by fullthrottle77
maxcoinage

4.83/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Split a Bomber with a buddy, poured into two snifters with a few cm mocha colored head. Color was a dark black

ARoma was dominated by the name of the beer as I was hoping - coffee and vanilla. Some chocolate and booziness were apparent as well.

Taste was fantastic, dominated by roasted malt/coffee, some vanilla sweetness, dark chocolate

Mouthfeel -medium carb, not as big of a body as I was expecting for 10%ABV but still good. creamy and slightly bitter on the finish

Overall - Honestly two of my favorite flavors are coffee and vanilla- so I had high expectations for this beer and it delivered. Great sipper for a winter afternoon. Definitely recommend this and will be seeking out more. Gotta thank my buddy Mike for this, won it in a fantasy football bet.

11-27-2013 22:50:50 | More by maxcoinage
kdlz

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured from 22oz bomber into tulip glass.

A - Jet black pour with 1 finger tan head. Almost stout-like.

S - Coffee, dark chocolate, and amazing vanilla aromas jut wafting from the glass

T - Just like the smell, all were present. Not boozy at all.. Made me wish I could wake up to this every morning.

M - On the bitter side, like drinking a cup of coffee, low carb, very easy drinking

O - I think this should be a stout, color taste depth and weight of this beer is astounding. Not a beginners beer. Looking forward to next years plus the 2 I have cellared.

01-11-2014 22:31:35 | More by kdlz
PoorProfessional

4.83/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

This right here is a near perfect beer. It's hard to really put into words just how wonderful this beer is - I bought it on a whim at the local supermarket and, given the nearly $10 price tag, it was either going to rock my socks or be an utter disappointment.

It was the former thankfully. I am absolutely turned off by the idea of coffee and vanilla in my beer because nobody can seem to do it correctly. Well, I have finally found a brewery who does it PERFECTLY. This is a GREAT tasting beer - the first sip is going to slap you around a bit. Whoa, is this stuff a departure from a lot of beers out there. But get deep down into this beer, with the coffee and vanilla subtly guiding you along, and you'll likely love it.

It isn't -perfect- but it's damn near close. It pours dark as the winter night and is perfect for cold, frost, "polar vortex" kind of days when you just want to cozy up with a good brew and forget about your troubles for a couple of hours. Oh, and the 10% ABV doesn't hurt, either. It WILL get on top of you pretty fast if you aren't seasoned so be wary of that. But, overall, a wonderful brew - definitely a favorite for me - and one I will seek out and gladly pay ten bucks for in the future!

01-20-2014 20:13:11 | More by PoorProfessional
DM1293

4.81/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Let's be real here; this is essentially a stout. It might SAY Porter, and it might be BREWED like a Porter...but this beer is pretty darn thick in mouthfeel, more than any other porter I've had.

The taste is phenomenal. It's very prominently sweet chocolate, hints of dark fruit, balanced out by a firm but unimposing coffee bitterness. It's like drinking dark chocolate really, with even hints of vanilla coming through. Fairly thick, but this is an Imperial-style so I expect it to be so.

For all the praise I give it, I'd probably still just drink it just as a "Dessert Beer" due to its 10% ABV. Regardless, it's definitely worth tracking down while you can.

03-19-2013 23:45:40 | More by DM1293
Rmassimiano

4.8/5  rDev +9.3%

A: Black. Tan head about 1inch. It poured cloudy, The glass was full of the black beer as the tan bubbles formed and surfaced to form the head. Looked like some sort of wave art.

S: Very suttle scents of equal parts, coffee, vanilla, and chocolate. A winning combination.

M: A nice mouthfeel. Not too thick or thin. Just right. Enought to coat the tongue and last a few seconds.

T: You can definately taste the chocolate and coffee with just a hint of vanilla. Coffee is the first thing I think of when I taste it. Goes down smooth. You would never know its 10%. Carbonation is perfect.

O: I would order this again, oh wait I bought two bombers! That means I get another tomorrow night! Another solid beer from Ballast Point Brewing Company!

11-13-2009 06:52:40 | More by Rmassimiano
drink1121

4.8/5  rDev +9.3%

Shared bottle with kfvs034.
A-Pours black with a light brown small head. The little head quickly fades but never completely.

S-Big vanilla up front then I get coffee with some caramel in the middle and light bourbon at the end.

T- Different than the smell. Coffee at first, then some roasted malts . Bourbon and vanilla come to towards the end.

M- Smooth as ever. Some hop bitterness on the tongue. I can feel the hops, but cant really smell or taste them.

D- Wow. 10% thats crazy drinkable for that. I would have never known. I bought 4 of these in Illinois and am glad I did.

01-05-2010 02:54:34 | More by drink1121
ZX6Chris

4.8/5  rDev +9.3%

Bottle from the late release in 2010.

A-Pitch black with a small dark tan head of tight bubbles that settles to a ring around the glass. A little bit of lacing.

S-Lots of vanilla, chocolate, bitter roasted coffee. Almost a spicy kick from the coffee.

T-Rich roasted coffee, vanilla, milk chocolate. Bitter coffee on the finish.

M-Light to medium body, nicely carbonated. A little harshness from the coffee

D-Wow. The vanill and coffee flavors are HUGE in this. I can't wait to take another sip. I find my self chugging the glass!

11-09-2010 01:39:42 | More by ZX6Chris
Ungertaker

4.8/5  rDev +9.3%

Bomber poured into a Deschutes snifter.

S- Coffee, roasted malt, nuts, brown sugar

A- Deep black with a quickly-vanishing khaki head. A ring is left around the glass where the head once was. A bubbly lacing adheres to the glass with each sip.

T- Coffee hits immediately and remains throughout. It is accompanied at the front by a bitter dark chocolate that transitions to a sweeter, almost milk, chocolate with subtle hints of vanilla. Both the milk chocolate and vanilla dissipate, leaving a roasted coffee and hints of raisin at the finish.

M- On the thicker side of medium; a perfect consistency for a porter, IMHO. The carbonation is in the background throughout.

O- Phenomenal! The balance and complexity have never been matched by anything I have had in a porter that has not been barrel-aged.

12-13-2011 01:56:36 | More by Ungertaker
Pegasus

4.8/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Appearance: Utter obsidian in color, with a large dark tan head, which retains rather well. Thick, glass-coating lace adorns the glass walls.

Aroma: Strong notes of cold coffee, bitter chocolate, roasted malt, vanilla, earth, and vinous alcohol. While the coffee/espresso notes are strongest, the vanilla is notable.

Taste: Opens with a massive cold coffee flavor, with a strong undercurrent of bitter cocoa and vanilla. As the taste progresses, a brief moment of sweet chocolate appears, then vinous alcohol, and dark roasted malt. Late in the taste, earthy flavors appear, along with a burst of herbal hops. The 10% ABV is very gracefully concealed. Finishes with a lingering note of cold coffee and bitter cocoa.

Mouth feel: Smooth, soft, and velvety.

Drinkability/notes: An absolutely superb example, an order of magnitude (or two) beyond ordinary beer.

Presentation: Packaged in a twenty-two ounce brown glass bomber with a pry-off crown, served in a New Belgium Brewing chalice.

Sourcing: Purchased at Spec's in Austin, Texas for $9.99 plus tax.

01-27-2013 23:44:09 | More by Pegasus
abeeronthebeach

Washington

4.8/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Ballast Point – Victory At Sea: Coffee Vanilla Imperial Porter, from the bottle. Enjoy by: 12/10/13, drank: 01/17/14.

A – Charcoal-brown body with an evenly distributed and smooth head. You could shine a laser through this thing and it wouldn’t come out the other side.

S – Strong. Picking up a bracing hit of roasted malts. Milky coffee with a sweetness to it which you realise is the vanilla once you taste it. Much more pronounced than on Harviestoun’s Old Engine Oil which is the last porter I tasted (and which incidentally I loved.) Reassured me that my nose still functions. Three quarters of the way through this beer the nose continues to improve, to the point where it may be my favourite thing about this beer, excepting the first sip. This demands particular attention for, as a rule, most beer loses fragrance as it sits, whereas here it continues to emanate.

T- This just tastes absolutely phenomenal. I mean seriously, seriously good. The way the vanilla mellows out all the roasty-toasty flavours is literally something I’ve never tasted before. And it is so, so good. Few things are more annoying than using sounds and adjectives - so I’ve edited my original entries - but I was quite literally left wondering aloud as this washed over my tongue for the first time. Particularly as having read the reviews, it seemed I ought to be in for something a little bit special. Perhaps tellingly, prolific reviewer UCLABrewN84 reviews this in his top 20 beers out of 5052 beers. That first sip has left me reeling as is reflected in my scattered entry. This is the dog’s bollocks.

M – Nice and creamy. If the mouthfeel here is whole milk, personally I’d love to see this as jersey milk; nevertheless it’s silky as a silk spider. Excellent.

O – Still have almost all the most highly-rated dark, potent and mythic-status beers ahead of me (Abyss, Marshall Zhukov, Dark Lord, Abraxas, BCBCS, Parabola, Darkness, Founder’s, etc.) but this offering only intensifies the excitement tenfold. As I sample more of the finest offerings perhaps this will downgrade but you can only go off what you know. The nose is so wonderfully balanced. The taste follows suit. I’d have sworn this was at 8%; that it’s actually one of the booziest beers I have ever had (at 10%) takes me clean by surprise. Want to give it more than a 4.75 and less than a 5 for flavour but my second sampling leaves me seeking a sweeter finish. Can conceive a creamier and more intensely flavoured beer but this is still glorious. I want that second bottle.

01-29-2014 06:53:58 | More by abeeronthebeach

4.79/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

A: Deep black oil with a healthy espresso creama colored head.

S: Roasted wood, vanilla, and a subtle spice.

T: Starts with a strong vanilla flavor then gives way to a wave of thick coffee. After that comes the coffee bitterness which then yields to the hop bitterness. The finishing note is roasted malts more reminiscent of a stout than a typical porter.

M: Quite thick, almost espresso-like.

O: Far more impressive than I anticipated. The vanilla is a touch strong but the rest is near perfect for the style. I'd love to try this again after some aging.

02-01-2014 00:21:36 | More by 01001111
djaeon

4.78/5  rDev +8.9%

A: Pours thick and black. With a small head, with little retention or lacing.

S: Definite roastiness, with a lot of coffee and a little vanilla thrown in for good measure.

T: Tastes of espresso and dark chocolate, with a little vanilla in the background.

M: Thick, silky and smooth.

D: Easily drinkable, has some bitterness that lingers a bit as an aftertaste, but overall, very drinkable. Almost dangerously so.

03-25-2009 01:03:39 | More by djaeon
Lerxst

Much thanks to beernerd81 for this one

A-Pours black with a nice one finger mocha colored head that has good retention and leaves nice lacing.

S-I am loving this nose. My nose is telling me this is an RIS. Strong vanilla and coffee aromas, roasty malt, chocolate. With apologies to Campbell's soup, this is mmmm, mmmm good.

T-Slightly sweet and a bit bitter at the same time. Follows the nose with vanilla, coffee, roasted malt, chocolate, along with a slightly bitter hoppy twist at the back end and a bit of booze. Man, this is REALLY good!

M-Medium bodied, but has a rich, lush mouthfeel. Slightly stinging carb bite works well.

D-This is a big beer make no mistake, but it is absolutely delicious making it almost dangerously easy to pound a bomber.

I really loved this beer. If I had ready access to it, I'd buy a case. A truly GREAT job by Ballast Point.

05-23-2010 23:11:18 | More by Lerxst
twiggamortis420

4.78/5  rDev +8.9%

2009 vintage courtesy of cmurren25, thanks Chad! Pours a black-as-night color with awesome retention and great lacing.

Nose has lots of coffee on it and a light vanilla twist. Plenty of roasty malts and a decent amount of sweetness.

Ohhhh, this is way smoother than it should be. Vanilla and coconut-infused chocolate malt flavor. Smooth yet robust. One of those "wow" beers, no doubt about it. This review has officially been cut short due to the extreme enjoyment I get from every single sip. Amazing beer.

10-28-2010 04:36:21 | More by twiggamortis420
ultimatedub

Maryland

4.78/5  rDev +8.9%

A - A day later and the lacing is still apparent in my glass. Looked very similar to FBS.

S - The vanilla was barely there. Just a hint. Smelled mostly like Chocolate with small hints of coffee. I was surprised how little I got from the smell, but who cares when it tastes this good.

T - Outstanding. It was like a melted candy bar mixed with coffee. 10% tasted like 5%. I even had a sip left the next day and it still tasted fantastic.

M - Lighter than you'd expect. Just the right amount of thickness, which I loved.

D - I paid 13 for this bomber, and it was worth every penny. Smooth, creamy, chocolate, coffee with subtle hints of vanilla. Possibly my new favorite Porter.

01-08-2011 01:40:53 | More by ultimatedub
AwYeh

4.78/5  rDev +8.9%

22oz bomber poured into a shaker pint; thanks to seeswo for sending me this in the Black Booty 2011 BIF!

A: Pours a dark brown/black with three full fingers of frothy tan head- looks like a bowl of oatmeal when viewed from the top. Excellent lacing.

S: Tons of chocolate roasted malts, a strong vanilla smell, and an almost equally strong coffee aroma. Bittersweet dark chocolate puts this one over the edge to make it truly enjoyable smell.

T: Rich, RICH chocolate flavor- perfectly complimented by the vanilla and coffee in the beer's namesake (one of the few beers that lives up to the descriptors in its name). Wonderful chocolate, coffee, vanilla finish. Tastes like letting a high quality, bitter (80% or more) dark chocolate bar melt and dissolve on your tongue, plus the frequently mentioned coffee and vanilla. Outstanding.

M: Medium-bodied, light carbonation. Not as sticky as I would like to really bring the finish through, but still heavy enough to leave the flavor on your palate.

D: Extremely enjoyable, I could have several glasses of this in a row. It does taste a bit like dessert, so I'm not sure if it is an everytime beer... but this is certainly one I can't wait to have a glass of again.

02-19-2011 05:35:43 | More by AwYeh
PEIhop

4.78/5  rDev +8.9%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a tulip glass.

A - This is the most viscous porter I have come across. Poured an oily, syrupy, and mesmerizing black. Thick, fluffy, brown head with intricate lacing.

S - The aroma released full of smoked/burnt malt with a robust coffee flavor. Vanilla and other spices are supporting with subtle notes.

T - Amazing! Coffee dominates but it isn't overpowering. During the end of the tasting, vanilla notes come through leaving a refreshing and satisfying finish.

M - Lusciously thick and full.

D - Without Question. This is executed with care and precision. Delicious!

02-19-2011 22:44:37 | More by PEIhop
badboyrsl84

4.78/5  rDev +8.9%

One of my favorite porters of all time. I've had this a ton of times but have yet to review it so here it goes

Look - pours a dark caramel almost black color with a 2 inch thick tan head.

Smell. Sweet coffee and vanilla

Taste- this is one of the few beers best when its warm all the time. I get some carbonation tons of long lasting coffee with a touch of vanillia. Some chocolate and little alcohol taste. Its the most perfect combination of coffee and beer. I love it.

This beer never lets me down. I cherish when its here and miss it when its gone.

02-28-2011 07:37:39 | More by badboyrsl84
IdrinkGas

4.78/5  rDev +8.9%

Poured from a bomber into a snifter.
A: Pours pitch black with two fingers of head from a rough pour. Small amount of lacing.
S: The smell is dominated by vanilla beans with some chotolate and coffee also in the mix.
T:Mostly vanilla, slight bitter dark chocolate taste, some coffee and alcohol in the end. Very nice.
D: Quite drinkable for the ABV.

This is my goto beer right now. I've drank like 6 of these in the past couple weeks. Great beer!

03-03-2011 03:23:07 | More by IdrinkGas
Ruds

United Kingdom (England)

4.78/5  rDev +8.9%

Poured from a 22oz/650ml bottle into a growler, thanks to Deeblo for packing this in his case and shifting it 6,000 miles for me!!!

Looks a real treat - pours a rich black with a decent beige/tan head after a straight glass/vigourous pour into a Belgian snifter. Head thins after a minute but retains. Lots of lacing above the beer line.

Served at room temperature.

Great smelling beer - coffee hits you immediately and when you withdraw your nose and savour the full spectrum you get the vanilla breaching through, sweet chocolate and malts.

Everything I want from an Imperial Porter in the taste! Chocolate, coffee, sweet and roasted malts and a decent hunk of vanilla in there. I've had a few vanilla porters where you just don't get that 'V' hit, but here you have no choice !!! A well balanced beer packing flavours and strength but disguising them all well.

The mouthfeel is perfection for a beer of this ilk. Full bodied with a little carbonation, every mouthful makes you return.

Overall - this beer is right up there for me, one of the best I've had !!!

04-09-2012 15:21:19 | More by Ruds
CA_Infidel2o9

4.78/5  rDev +8.9%

Poured from a bomber to a sam adams cup

A- jet black, 1 1/2" brown head

S- dark chocolate, coffee beans, vanilla, alcohol

T- bitter dark roast coffee, dark chocolate, cocoa nibs, booze, cream

M- velvety, silky, creamy, low carbonation, alcohol heat

O- She's a sipper! Be warned, fresh out of the fridge, the booze is almost overwhelming. Allow it to get close to room temp, once there the booze subsides and this brew becomes almost dangerously drinkable. It's amazingly creamy, making every sip a joy. It's boozy liquid dark chocolate, with a supporting cast of dark roasted coffee and vanilla beans. Sip responsibly, this thing is dangerous, i've never really been a fan of imperial stouts/porters. Frankly, i feel you can have a more enjoyable experience with a lower abv brew of the same style. This one has me second guessing.

12-10-2012 23:42:14 | More by CA_Infidel2o9
warrenout330

22 oz bottle pour, 28oz snifter in hand

A- pours a deep black brown color.... black once all the beer is poured .. 2 finger thick khaki colored head... minimal lacing... minimal retention

S- whiffs of deep bold roasted coffee grounds.... bold hits of bakers chocolate .... sweet vanilla... coffee lingering throughout the smell

T- more pronounced than the smell.... deep complex flavor of coffee and chocolate... sweetness from the vanilla and chocolate .... roasty flavors

M- smooth and creamy... oily aspect on the mouth... bittness on the tongue .... no evidence of the 10% alcohol ...

O- big and bold complex flavors give this Porter depth ... this Porter leads in the pack of flavor and uniqueness on the craft movement ... now I see why this is so sought after and respected .... this is special .... savor every sip

01-02-2013 01:06:43 | More by warrenout330
Victory At Sea Coffee Vanilla Imperial Porter from Ballast Point Brewing Company