Victory At Sea Coffee Vanilla Imperial Porter - Ballast Point Brewing Company

Victory At Sea Coffee Vanilla Imperial PorterVictory At Sea Coffee Vanilla Imperial Porter

Ballast Point Brewing Company visit their website

American Porter |  10.00% ABV

"Imperial Porter"

(Beer added by: radshoesbro on 03-17-2009)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Victory At Sea Coffee Vanilla Imperial Porter Alström Bros
Photo of

You rated this beer. Add a review.

, Jan 02, 2013

VernonBaxter, Aug 05, 2013

Kaveman, Dec 27, 2013

found this at Moe's Center Street beer store in Jupiter, Fla .

not having tried this porter style ale after searching all the shelves for new one's we added this to this evening's taste session again.

poured into a Seirra Nevada pint glass served around 55°

taste:coffee,vanilla to the nose, however when sipping some, hit with strong coffee,chocolate flavors, not what you'd expect from roasted barley however kind of a instant coffee taste if you like cuban coffee cortaditas, the bittering in the finish not from hops, but from the unsweetened chocalate & coffee.
this ale overwhelming, viscous appearance
really tough to call this a porter as it's really a black coffee bitter stout ..rather potent one at that.

this could be served as a desert type ale if that's what they intended????

naaa this isnt pleasant to drink, obnoxious glorpy cacaraca

like you're to assume ? or beat me, make me like it ?

this ale is like in your face coming and going , we'll pass on the next purchase
to call this an enjoyable beer ? no not really it just doesn't taste good even with all the flavors firing off at different times start to finish
tastes like a bad medicine

i homebrew ale, it has to taste good or i wont make it.

ale1, Jul 04, 2013
2.28/5  rDev -48.1%

Okay,
Just found one of these down here in good old FL, a rarity I can assure you. Read alot about this bad boy and am super excited to try it. Here goes the play by play as I drink it.

A- Poured dark, I mean really dark, burnt brown color. Nice 3/4" head but quickly recedes and not much lacing.

S- Holy Coffee! That's not a good sign for me. I like coffee for breakfast and beer for dinner and I likes 'em separate. I was hoping to be overpowered with vanilla but it is definitely coffee. Dammit, I hope this doesn't taste like some Kona Pipeline Porter which I bought a case of and can barely stomach the swill.

T- Coffee and beer dammit to hell. Where the hell is the vanilla guys? It DEFINITELY says vanilla porter on the label. How about labeling it V@S Coffee porter **Now without vanilla!!** I could have had a Cigar City Cubano Espresso which tastes very similar, BUT, I did not want a coffee beer. I'm sure many people out there love this (as witnessed by the rating) but this is not the "vanilla porter" I signed up for.

M- It does have a nice thick and creamy mouthfeel even though the coffee is overpowering.

Well, at least I can say I have tried it. I have another one of these that someone might want to trade for. I don't know, maybe as it gets older it will get better but this is definitely not for me.

sendsilk, Feb 07, 2011
2.36/5  rDev -46.2%

B_Sackett, Sep 21, 2014
2.4/5  rDev -45.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

22oz into Portsmouth tulip. Been meaning to try this one for a long time.

A- Dark roast coffee... 5 finger head after an aggressive pour. Great formation/retention. Khaki in color, even and thick lacing. One of the better 10% pours I've seen in a while.

S- Kind of buttery toffee caramel. Mild heavily creamed coffee. Not really appealing.. there's something off in the nose here. .

T- The buttery caramel toffee is here but doesn't turn me off like it does in the nose. Vanilla is here but comes across more like artificial sweetener than vanilla bean. Tastes like a chocolate butterscotch sundae with some coffee ice cream. Sweet, but not in the realm of ST's creme brulee. Mild acidity, but the coffee is playing too much of a subdued role and the caramel vanilla sweetness is a bit too much.

M- Flavorful.. a bit too sweet. Stealth ABV, very lush body, great carbonation.

D- Low. I'm very 'meh' on this beer. For the price, I can't see myself buying this again.

ShogoKawada, Apr 09, 2010

Kuongming, Feb 16, 2013

BigHryn6021, Jul 30, 2014

BeerAcolyte, Apr 07, 2012
2.8/5  rDev -36.2%

Extra from John, thanks man! 22 oz. bottle poured into a Jester King snifter on April 21st, 2012.

A - Deep brown coloring, a bit thin for a large porter. Medium khaki head with quick reduction and marginal lacing.

S - Big coffee bean and espresso as anticipated. Touches of roasted malts and vanilla underneath. Definitely more in the realm of an RIS than a porter in terms of aroma size and intensity.

T - Lots front palate carbonation followed by vanilla bean sweetness and honey. Mid to rear palate of stale coffee beans with cocoa bitterness. Some brown sugar sweetness blended into the mix, but it doesn't offset the poor coffee character.

M - Bizarre, and unfortunately lacking, for a porter. High carbonation, not at all smooth, medium body, dry bitter finish with a hefty espresso aftertaste.

D - I can't really forgive the taste and mouthfeel here. Huge disappointment. Bottle variation? I don't know that I'd revisit, but the hype on this one suggests I need to try it again.

Auracom, Apr 26, 2012
2.93/5  rDev -33.3%

Bomber purchased in 2011, poured into a Duvel tulip.

A really fantastic-looking beer. Pour is very dark brown, almost black. A two-finger mocha head (that is, appropriately enough, reminiscent of cappuccino foam) just won't go away. Very tight bubbles, great retention. Awesome lacing, too.

Tons of of roast coffee in the nose. Those roasted malts are very, very strong. There's a pretty clear alcohol element in the nose as well. Just a very slight hint of vanilla. Nice, if one-dimensional.

Unsurprisingly, the taste is basically all coffee. There's a persistent, acrid bitterness that really lingers. Thought there's not a lot of vanilla at work here, there is definitely a pronounced boozy taste. Some dark fruits, but that burnt coffee quality is overpowering.

The mouthfeel is too thin, with overactive carbonation. This really needs to settle down.

I remember loving the first bottle of Victory at Sea I tasted - a friend had brought one back to Boston from San Francisco back in February, and I can still recall both smelling and tasting caramel in this beer. This was just average, and I'm not sure that age is to blame given the fact that the coffee was so strong. A let down for me.

amphion1065, Sep 03, 2011
2.98/5  rDev -32.1%

Ballast Point Victory at Sea Coffee Vanilla Porter (wow, that's a long one) has a black, opaque body with a large crown of off-white head that is composed of rather large bubbles. Retention is pretty good, and the beer laces the glass nicely.

Lots of coffee in the aroma, with hints of chocolate and vanilla.

This beer is a little bit puzzling for me. How does this beer sound so good to me, (coffee, vanilla, porter, I like ALL of these things!), smell so good, but taste so off? The flavors are there, they are strong, but they are a little bit cloying and I just don't feel like they come together well. Up front there is a ton of coffee and roasted malts followed by a large blast of bittersweet chocolate. The vanilla flavor is huge, reminding me of vanilla extract. A bite of bitter hops rounds out the finish, adding a bit of a citrus character.

The mouthfeel could use a little more punch, it is fine but would be better if it were bigger and a bit creamier.

One thing I will say for Victory at Sea is that it hides that 10% ABV really well, no alcohol flavor or even warming pops up, and I would not have guessed that this bad boy was this strong. Overall, however, this beer just did not work work for me. Ballast Point is great, and everyone else seems to love this one, but I thought it was a bit over-done.

Hojaminbag, Feb 28, 2010

dertyd, Jun 17, 2013

kennethkearns, Feb 09, 2012

JamFuel, Mar 24, 2014
Victory At Sea Coffee Vanilla Imperial Porter from Ballast Point Brewing Company