Microbrew Invitational

TICKETS: beeradvocate.com/micro/

Victory At Sea Coffee Vanilla Imperial Porter | Ballast Point Brewing Company

YOUR RATING = None |

Victory At Sea Coffee Vanilla Imperial PorterVictory At Sea Coffee Vanilla Imperial Porter

Ballast Point Brewing Company
California, United States | website

Style: American Porter

Our Victory at Sea Imperial Porter is a bold, smooth brew with just the right amount of sweetness. We infused this robust porter with whole vanilla beans and San Diego’s own Caffe Calabria coffee beans. The subtle roasted notes and minimal acidity of the cold brewed coffee, balances perfectly with the sweet caramel undertones of the malt, creating a winning combination for your palate.

Added by radshoesbro on 03-17-2009

Reviews: 1,341 | Ratings: 6,491
4.7/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Have wanted to try this for quite a while; was finally able to score one in Ocean Beach, San Diego. Big shout out to Mike at Olive Tree Marketplace for hooking me up with some Pliny while I was there as well.

Enormous khaki colored head off the pour, resting atop a espresso colored brew. Complete sheet of lacing as the head dyes down, while still prominently retaining.

There's some massive vanilla notes on this, like that of vanilla creamer I put in my coffee every morning. To be honest, I can't get enough of it; awesome! Plenty of dark roasted malts as well, providing the usual coffee, chocolate background.

Tastes just as I had hoped, serious vanilla upfront that lingers throughout rather brilliantly. Some coffee like bitterness on the back end as well. But again, love the vanilla forward flavor on this.

Medium in body with plenty of carbonation. Slick, creamy and delicious.

Hands down, my favorite porter I've ever had. Can't even imagine how good the bourbon aged version is. I'm gonna need to homebrew a clone asap.

4.28/5  rDev -1.6%

Got this as an extra from Plenum. Thanks for the brew!

22oz bomber poured into a tulip.

A- Pours a deep black color with a thick brown head that leaves great lacing. Nice rings of foam form all the way down.

S- Coffee leads the way in the nose with some roasted aromas and some bittersweet chocolate. The vanilla is there but the dark roasted coffee and malt aromas muscle it to the backseat.

T- Man, this baby throws it's weight around right from the start! Huge rush of roasted chocolate coffee beans and alcohol initially with some sweet vanilla and caramel flavors in the finish. Some light bitterness from the coffee helps to balance the sweetness throughout. As it warms, all of the flavors become more pronounced and the vanilla begins to shine.

M- Full bodied with creamy smooth carbonation. Very well integrated.

O- Really tasty stuff. I don't see a bottling date on this one, but I'm guessing it is relatively fresh considering the alcohol heat and sharp coffee flavor. This would probably age well enough, but I'm not sure that anyone should want to considering how nice the flavors come together fresh.

4.2/5  rDev -3.4%

Thanks go to Soonami for this one! Been sitting in the cellar for a few months. Poured into two stemless snifters at just above cellar temp. and shared with the lady.

A- Close to pitch black, you really have to search for any light coming through. Very nice and rich beige head that dissipates slowly. So far we are looking good.

S- Rich sweet malts with coffee in the background. I don't know for sure but I think this beer is around a year old. I've had it aging for at least 7 months and some of the coffee has faded. What is there smells good though, even if it is subtle. This mixes with a sweet vanilla and oat character, kinda like a sugar coated cereal. Finishes with that chocolate malted milk character I've come to love in a good porter.

T- Vanilla and roasted malts blend with some alcohol into coffee bitterness. Not as balanced as I would have hoped with the age and based on the aroma. I'm thinking either drinking fresh or waiting even longer might be the right decision here. Still it is good.

M- The mouth is great. Thick, creamy, somewhat viscous. Tight carbonation amounts to a fairly dry finish with some lingering sweetness. Slight alcohol burn on the end, but I expect this.

O- I would definitely like to try this beer fresh considering some of the flavors and aromas were muted. However, seeing as I only got one, I wanted to wait for the right time to drink it. I just finished my first semester of graduate school so I thought it was appropriate. It's a good porter and among the best I have had. I say try it if you can.

4.77/5  rDev +9.7%

Bomber poured into a Deschutes snifter.

S- Coffee, roasted malt, nuts, brown sugar

A- Deep black with a quickly-vanishing khaki head. A ring is left around the glass where the head once was. A bubbly lacing adheres to the glass with each sip.

T- Coffee hits immediately and remains throughout. It is accompanied at the front by a bitter dark chocolate that transitions to a sweeter, almost milk, chocolate with subtle hints of vanilla. Both the milk chocolate and vanilla dissipate, leaving a roasted coffee and hints of raisin at the finish.

M- On the thicker side of medium; a perfect consistency for a porter, IMHO. The carbonation is in the background throughout.

O- Phenomenal! The balance and complexity have never been matched by anything I have had in a porter that has not been barrel-aged.

4.37/5  rDev +0.5%

A - A nice dark brown pretty much black pour with an off white froth about 2" thick.

S - Wonderful coffee scents with vanilla and hints of dark chocolate. Just a great smelling brew that I could keep my nose in for hours.

T - Coffee, Vanilla Bean Dark chocolate. Some hints of booze in there too.

M - Good carbonation with a nice bitter, dry aftertaste.

O - A wonderful porter with excellent scents and solid taste.

3.38/5  rDev -22.3%

A - not quite a stout and not quite a porter. The head doesn't stay around long but still overall a beauty.

S - Oak, coffee, with hints of chocolate and vanilla. Not an outstanding bouquet but perfectly acceptable.

T - Historically this has been one of my favorite beers, but this batch tastes distinctly different than the others I've had. The distinction/problem was the dominance of the oak flavor. Unlike previous batches that deftly balanced the chocolate, vanilla, and coffee flavors this lacked the depth and complexity I've come to expect. The oak muscled everything out.

M - A little extra pop of carbonation but perfectly in line with the style.

O - Maybe my buds we're having an off night. Luckily I have another bottle to do more "analysis."

4.64/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a deep brown with a minimal tan head that fades into non-existence.

Vanilla dominates the palate, but a bit of coffee and roasted malts stick as well.

Starts off with rich roasted chocolate notes and a bit of coffee. Vanilla peaks in a bit, but is very subdued compared to the nose. There's a roasty bitterness throughout and a vanilla sweetness in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is medium-high becoming better as it warmed. Medium-Low carbonation.

Very tasty beer. This one's been on my radar for while and it lived up to expectations. Good complexity throughout the flavor profile with a very solid mouthfeel.

4.33/5  rDev -0.5%

Pours pitch black with a thick mountain of brown head. The head has great retention. The nose has very strong notes of coffee and hints of cocoa. The taste is heavy coffee and light chocolatey, roasty notes followed by some faint vanilla. There is a faint hop bitterness in the finish. The mouthfeel is rich, smooth, full bodied though a little heavily carbonated.

Wow! This is well balanced, complex, and insanely drinkable. The ABV is hardly noticeable which made this bomber a dangerous one.

4.17/5  rDev -4.1%

Stoked to find this at local ramen house Underbelly. Not exactly sure what an American/Imperial Porter is.

Paler than an imperial stout, but a nice head with ok retention.

Coffee, vanilla, strong malts, pretty much as expected. Smells great.

Very similar flavor, nicely bittered. Lacks a little complexity.

Love the weight of this beer. Definitely not the thickness of a stout, and that makes a big difference for drinkability. Carbonation was spot on. Not boozy in the least.

Certainly the best porter I have had, but it's not a style I drink a lot of.

4.65/5  rDev +6.9%

A- Dark brown with a big tan head and delicate lacing on the glass

S- I smell vanilla first then coffee and roasted malts. I'm excited

T- Follows the nose. Sooo smooth and delicious. A roasty porter with vanilla and coffee that just balance this out perfectly.

M- Not exceptionally thick but nice and easy to drink

O- This beer is so well balanced and it has one of the best coffee flavors i've ever had in a beer. Very impressed, I want one for breakfast tomorrow

4.59/5  rDev +5.5%

Somewhat murky brown in color. Small tan head on top. Very, very pleasant aroma of rich coffee and faint vanilla. Great, great flavor-actually tastes like a porter before the rich coffee comes thru. Nice balance of vanilla against the coffee. Dark chocolate hints as well. Some hop bitterness and flavor. Pleasant roasted grain flavors. Nice body-not overly full or syrupy. LOVE this-going to be a permanent want for me. I love the way it comes thru as an actual porter, not some amped up, big, bad ass flavored something. A lot of flavor-well balanced and true to style for me. Yummo!!!

4.29/5  rDev -1.4%

Special thanks to silverX for this one.
Bomber into CBS snifter.

A- Completely opaque black pour, heavy but not oily pouring. I got no head on this pour, that made me a little sad. Lacing is non-existent.

S- Huge dark roasted coffee. Subtle molasses but that is about it. I don't get any vanilla or sweetness. Maybe a little chocolate.

T- Monster amounts of coffee with brown sugar and molasses. Vanilla is there but really taking a back seat to everything else. Dark chocolate with hints of alcohol in the back end.

M- Medium to full bodied, chewy with a creamy start that quickly transitions to lively from the carbonation.

O- Other than how this looks (lack of head) This is a world class porter. The coffee is perfect, the vanilla is subtle.

4.08/5  rDev -6.2%

Got this in one of my first trades last year... thought it was about time I opened it.

A- Pours near pitch black into my DFH glass. Nice creamy, thin dark tan head with a nice amount of oily residue clinging to the glass.

S- Nice roasted malt and coffee is the first thing that hits the nose. Cocoa, vanilla bean, and a subtle touch of citrusy hop lies beneath.

T- Fresh pressed black coffee, beautiful roasted chocolate malts! Very nice vanilla notes than open up aas it warms. Tastes like real vanilla beans... not extract. Nice bitterness, probably from both the roasted malt and the citrusy hops.

M- Creamy and chalky at the same time. Rich vanilla and chocolate flavors mingle with the citrus from the hops. Really thick and creamy on the tongue without being sticky. No real sence of the 10% which is nice.

O- This is a fantastic porter! Wishing I had drank this fresher, but hopefully I get another bottle this year. Incredibly drinkable and delicious. The vanilla really shines thru as it warms up.

4.92/5  rDev +13.1%

2010 vintage on tap in a snifter at the City Beer Store in SF. Pours a deep dark black with a finger of dark mocha head. The aroma has a very strong vanilla and chocolate presence, along with some roasted malts and coffee notes. The taste has those same pronounced vanilla and chocolate flavors along with a nice balance of coffee flavor. The mouthfeel is medium-thin bodied with decent carbonation, and is velvety smooth and rich.

A great porter, best porter I've ever had. Love to get my hands on some more of this.

A: Motor oil body with a robust, ferrous-tan head that eventually settles into a light skim and thick halo.

S: Huge amounts of coffee dominate, with fresh overtones or herbaceous hops reluctantly allowing the eager caramel, vanilla, dark chocolate, and burned sugar to partake in the complex, and throroughly satisfying first impression.

T: Incredibly close approximation of the nose: espresso bean, caramel, toffee, and vanilla shine forth, as hops help cut through the thickness. Burned barley notes add a secondary layer of bitterness strengthening the coalition mounting against the luscious sweetness, and bring the whole brew into a realm of respectable complexity.

M: As thick as expected, although not quite reaching the levels of RIS' of similar alcoholic ilk. Low carb, slightly sticky, and velvety smooth.

O: a very solid coffee- focussed brew that shows excellent complexity, staunch balance, and pleasing length.

This is my first review for a beer after stalking this website for many months. I had to write about this because it was that good. I shared a bomber with a good friend who is also a BA after tasting a small flight at Tap Room a week ago!

A - Pours black with a finger tan head that lingers. Some lacing on the glass.

S - Strong roasted espresso smell with sweet chocolate and a slight hint of vanilla. If there was a perfect mocha chocolate chip cookie from Betty Crocker, this would be that smell from her oven. I had to smell this for about 30 seconds because it was so heavenly.

T - This beer is a "dude moment." Those moments are rare and they come natural. When you taste a beer that is so good to you, you just exclaim "Dude!" to your company. The taste follows the smell. It was a strong, sweet, roasted espresso in the start that followed with sweet, dark chocolate and a small taste of vanilla at the end. The alcohol is masked very well and only a hint of it comes at the end as the beer warms.

M - Very creamy, rich, and smooth. My taste buds were coated with a silky sweetness.

O - Ballast Point really did their best with this brew! I bought five bombers and wanted to decide if I should age a few after having one. I decided that I'm not going to age them and I will consume them in about a month. I was also planning on giving a few as gifts but I am reconsidering because I want to be greedy with this one! Fantastic beer! Very delicious!

A+

4.33/5  rDev -0.5%

Received 2011 Vintage in a recent trade.
Poured from 22oz bottle into Bordeaux glass.
Couldn't wait to try this one!

Aroma: Rich mocha plus a soft vanilla note work extremely well together. Molasses underneath, plus powdered cocoa. The vanilla comes through more and more over time.

Appearance: Pours like a porter with a dark, dark brown body. 1/2 finger light tan head thins to a layer of fine, splotchy patches of bubbles.

Flavor: Strong, yet smooth vanilla flavor up front. Sweet, roasty mocha maltiness with a touch of peppery alcohol. A slightly-acidic coffee note followed by a robust, bitter, espresso finish. Bitterness lingers, and vanilla then returns.

Mouthfeel: Medium body, medium carbonation, and light pepper in the mouth and throat afterward.

Overall: The combination of vanilla and coffee work exceptionally with what would be a delicious porter on its own. The only improvement I could see for this brew would be barrel aging. Give this one a try!

4.65/5  rDev +6.9%

Love this beer, so I was very pleased to see this back again.
Poured into a snifter this beer comes out a very thick black and builds a tan head that sticks to the glass.
The nose is great, rich coffee, roastiness, vanilla and sugar sweetness.
The taste is fantastic altough I am picking up a little less vanilla then I did in last years, I love vanilla and wouldn't mind a bit more. Tons of coffee and malts.
Its medium bodied and a bit thicker then most porters which I enjoy, has lasting flavors and just a bit of alcohol heat.
Always look forward to this beer.

This will be the first beer I give a perfect score to and it has been the only one to date worth a 5

2011 version consumed a few days after the release

Look: Black and totally opaque with a perfect 1 inch foamy head and great retention with some circular lacing. As you drink the beer down it coats the glass and leaves behind a light brown coating. Just beautiful

Smell: Just wonderful gourmet coffee upfront and it might e the best coffee nose I have ever smelled traces of vanilla fill the background nice. Just perfect

Taste: God damn the flavors in this beer are in perfect harmony. The coffee melds so well together with the chocolate and finishes perfectly with just the right amount of vanilla and just a slight amount of alcohol. PERFECT

Mouthfeel: Medium to heavy body with the perfect amount of carbonation. Silky smooth going down and coats the mouth beautifully

Overall: This is truly a perfect imperial porter.

3.96/5  rDev -9%

Thanks to cbeer88 for this one. Poured in to Founder's tulip glass.

A - Poured dark black with one finger of bubbly espresso coloured head that quickly disappeared.

S - Bitter dark roasted coffee up front that dominates the nose. A touch of sweetness in the background but the vanilla is not specifically evident in the nose. Somewhat one dimensional nose.

T - Dark roasted coffee, brown sugar, roasted malts and a touch of vanilla. As the beer warms the coffee becomes less dominant and the the roasted malts and vanilla become more evident but the coffee remains the predominant flavour.

M - Medium body, light carbonation.

4.42/5  rDev +1.6%

On tap at Barley and Hops.

Victory at Sea arrives in a pint glass. The beer is pitch black with a finger of tan head. The foam recedes leaving wisps of beige bubbles atop the beer and sticky lacing on the sides of the glass. The aroma of fresh ground coffee beans wafts up from the glass. A closer whiff reveals hints of roasted malt, but the coffee overpowers it for the most part. Flavors of coffee and a huge vanilla presence dominate the palate. Sweet, roasted malt is detectable in the background, but the emphasis clearly is on the coffee and vanilla. The finish is semi-sweet wih a lingering aftertaste of... Yep.... Coffee and vanilla. VaS is full bodied, especially for a porter, with a nice, medium level of carbonation. The 10% ABV is quite well hidden by the exquisite melding of coffee vanilla and roasted malt flavors. Overall, a very tasty offering from Ballast Point. Reminiscent of a drink one might order at Starbuck's, but with bubbles and a bit of a kick to it . I enjoy this one every time I have it. Recommended.

4.8/5  rDev +10.3%

Split a bomber with beer buddy Phil. Live review.

Pours dark with ruby hues showing through when place infront of a light. Nice dark mocha colored head. Not a lot of lacing.

Cold vanilla and a blast of coffee on the nose. This is exciting.

Lots of coffee up front. As the coffee dissipates, the vanilla emerges tentatively. Roasted malts, bitter chocolate round this masterpiece out. Hint of alcohol in there as well.

Really smooth mouthfeel. Not heavy by any means, and certainly does not feel anywhere near 10%. Incredibly well crafted beer.

Overall I'd climb over your mother to get this beer. This beer has been sitting in my fridge for maybe 2 years? Absolutely incredible beer. It was a stretch not to give it full 5s.

4.42/5  rDev +1.6%

Victory at Sea pours black into the glass with a small off white head on top. The foam dissolves quickly to a ring around the surface leaving behind a few spots of lace on the glass.

The rich malty aroma is full of coffee, chocolate, toffee and roasted malt.

Each sip of this medium to full bodied beer is smooth, creamy with a moderate carbonated fizz. The flavor is sweet with rich notes of chocolate, coffee, toffee, roasted malt, nuts and pine. It finishes dry with a lingering chocolate flavor.

This is a very tasty beer that hides it's 10% abv well. The bottle I opened has been in my refrigerator for a year and it aged very well.

4.15/5  rDev -4.6%

A-Pours a deep dark black color with a few fingers of dark brown head.

S-Smells of fresh roasted coffee, dark chocolate, a bit of vanilla, and a bit of cocoa.

T-Roasted, dark coffee with some vanilla robust dark chocolate with lots of roast on the finish.

M-Rich, smooth body with ample carbonation that cuts through some of the richness of this one and a bit of alcohol warmth on the finish.

D-Pretty drinkable for 10%, that being said, there is an alcohol presence to this one that isn't entirely unwelcome.

4.17/5  rDev -4.1%

This bottle was courtesy of thagr81us in a recent massive trade. Thanks Calton! I've been wanting to try this forever.

It pours a dark, dark, dark brown in color, medium in body, with a light beige lacing around my snifter. The aromas are an array of soft chocolates, toffee, lightly roasted malts, vanilla, coffee with cream, with a subtle sweetness. Surprisingly there is no bitterness on the nose at all. The flavors consist of sweet milk chocolate, lightly creamed coffee, dark chocolate, light vanilla bean, chocolate milk, and it finishes with a slight coffee bitterness. It's really smooth and moderately rich. It's sweet but not too sweet. Overall it's a very, very nice beer and a hell of a porter. The alcohol isn't overly present and it's a fine beer to sip on. This is another well made beer from Ballast point and worth your while.

Victory At Sea Coffee Vanilla Imperial Porter from Ballast Point Brewing Company