Victory At Sea Coffee Vanilla Imperial Porter - Ballast Point Brewing Company

Victory At Sea Coffee Vanilla Imperial PorterVictory At Sea Coffee Vanilla Imperial Porter

Ballast Point Brewing Company visit their website

American Porter |  10.00% ABV

"Imperial Porter"

(Beer added by: radshoesbro on 03-17-2009)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Victory At Sea Coffee Vanilla Imperial Porter Alström Bros
4.15/5  rDev -5.5%

The title of this beer is quite the mouthful! I recently came across a forum discussion about the difference between an imperial stout and an imperial porter. The short answer: little if anything. With that question answered, I dove in.

This beer smells really good. I am partial to the flavors of vanilla and coffee and how just the smell of them affect me physically being a coffee drinker. I perked up immediately and figured I was in for a treat.

The taste was very good. Robust, with a solid texture, mostly balanced and not overdone vanilla and coffee. Actually, I could have gone for a tad bit more on those flavors, but this bottle is a year old, so I don't know whether they faded a bit or what. A great choice for a cool fall evening, I just wish I still had a fireplace to enjoy it next to. A lot more low key than some of the crazy RIS's like Darklord, Darkness, etc. - and I say this as a good thing. Not a flavor bomb or chewy, thick, sweet cloying mess like the above beers can be (they are still delicious, just not as a whole bomber on a regular evening).

Really good beer. Did not slay me, but definitely worth efforting to try. One of those beers you wish you had gotten more of...

seeswo, Dec 15, 2010
4.22/5  rDev -3.9%

Decided to crack this one as a reward after finishing law school exams.... 22oz bottle from Fa10 poured into snifter.

A: The darkest brown, just a shade short of black fading along the edges to an almost reddish color. 1/4 inch light brown head with enough viscosity to lightly coat the edge of my glass.

S: Not as strong as I would expect but very nuanced and well-balanced between the coffee and sweet vanilla notes.

T: Changing swallow by swallow but I'm getting a hint of the alcohol heat to start, then the vanilla and sweetness, followed up by the deliciousness of the coffee . Very well balanced and tasty!

M: Solid amount of carbonation allows the flavors to fill the mouth and tongue. Leaves enough coating in the mouth to let you keep tasting it but not so much that it's thick.

D: Very high... the coffee finish makes you want to keep drinking more to balance with the initial sweetness. The non-heavy mouthfeel contributes as well. I could easily drink 2 of these in a sitting but at 10%, it'd hit me hard.

Went out of my way to order this one to Georgia and I'm glad I did. Another well done offering by the folks at Ballast Point.

Double06, Dec 15, 2010
4.4/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

From notes. Poured into a Red Oak globe glass

A-- Poured black with tints of red. Settled black. One finger dark mocha colored head. Very fluffy, very good head retention. On swirling some noticeable alcohol.

S-- Coffee. Not really overpowering but there. Roasted malts and some hints of vanilla as well.

T-- Coffee, vanilla and carmel. The carmel really stood out. Reminded me more of an iced coffee. Quite nice.

M-- Medium light body and a bit velvety. Carmel and vanilla in the front and roasted malts and coffee finish. Was a little bitter in the end with a vanilla finish.

D-- Well balanced. Sometimes coffee, sometimes vanilla and sometimes carmel. No taste able alcohol to this. Was a bit light in spots but very, very good, Easily could have had a second bomber of it and been happy and not had an issue with it. Very happy to have had one of the beers I have been wanting for a while. Did not disappoint one bit.

mulder1010, Dec 14, 2010
4.43/5  rDev +0.9%

Shared with BA infi and brun. Poured into a Corsendonk tulip.

A: Poured motor oil black with a small light mocha head. The head retreated within a short period of time. When swirled the head the would reappear with a slightly more tan head.

S: First smells bring dark coffee. Smells of mouth-watering sweet vanilla and chocolate after multiple smells. Roasted malts were also found in this mix. Very very good smell.

T: Tastes follow the nose. First sips bring upon a taste of dark coffee. Vanilla initially in there too. After that I tasted the roasted taste of the malts mixed with dark chocolate. No taste of alcohol here, very well hidden. A very delicious brew.

M: Medium to heavy bodied. Mildly carbonated and goes smooth going down.

D: Even though its 10% ABV, its very easy to drink and I could drink many glasses. I would recommend this to everyone.

NYManc, Dec 13, 2010
4.25/5  rDev -3.2%

Pour a thick used motor oil black color with a smallish dense tan head that left a wall of clingly lacing.

The aroma is of a nice milk chocolate with some vanilla, caramel and light coffee notes. Kind of smells like a tootsie roll.

The taste starts off with a nice shot of vanilla and then is followed by a smooth caramel, milk chocolate and fudge flavors. I pick up some standard coffee notes but the brew seems to have more chocolate notes than coffee. There is a bit of a sour berry flavor that adds some balance to the porter.

Full body, chewy and a bit sticky. Soft to tingly carbonation adds a touch of bite. Fairly sweet on the palate but has a good roasted offset. At times I get a bit of a ABV belly burn, though you don't pick up the alcohol in the flavor.

This is a very robust and flavorful porter. The body and high abv limit the drinkability but if you are looking to try a damn tasty porter (stout), try this one.

Gmann, Dec 12, 2010
4.6/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Pours a deep, black color with a fading tan head that leaves plenty of lacing.

Smells of delicious roasted coffee.

Tastes of the delicious roasted notes. Notes of coffee, chocolate, and brown sugar. Vanilla notes come in the end and add a flair to the coffee. Everything is really well balanced. Alcohol is hardly noticeable at 10% and makes this brew a little dangerous.

Mouthfeel is full with a creamy amount of carbonation.

ocelot2500, Dec 12, 2010
4.13/5  rDev -5.9%

Leaving for Florida in a few hours, and I wanted to start the trip strong by drinking a good solid beer...

Poured from bomber into a Ballast Point pint glass...

A - Pours black with a one finger brown head. Head retention is decent and there is alot of sexy lacing to be had...

S - The name says it all. Coffee and vanilla dominate...

T - Once again, I remember why I keep coming back to this one. One word sums it up best: delicious. Dark roasted malts, and dark chocolates followed by a smooth vanilla insurgence. Ends on slight coffee bitterness with next to no alcohol to be tasted...

M - Nice and creamy, but not thick. This is one of those beers that can get you into trouble with because it is so smooth. While I won't go as far to call this a session beer, my financial disposition wouldn't allow it to be even if it was, this one is smooth and light enough to put a couple back in one sitting...

D - Was looking foward to this release, and I wasn't disippointed. Have already put about 5 of these bad boys down in the last month or two, and I am bummed I only have one more left. If you see one of these on the shelf definitely give a try...

Cheers...

comfortablynumb1, Dec 12, 2010
4.43/5  rDev +0.9%

22 oz. bottle poured into a chalice.

Appearance: Pours a solid black color, somewhat glossy, with a dark tan film with some lacing at the edges.

Smell: Deep roasted malt aroma - a little nutty - with some coffee hints coming in after a bit. There's some sweetness, but it is my no means strong.

Taste: Tons of roasted malt up-front. But it, and the coffee and hazelnut flavors that come in, get balanced out by a nice taste of vanilla underneath. There's definitely some alcohol warmness in the finish and aftertaste, but no actual flavor of it. The flavors are all nicely balanced, so nothing takes over.

Mouthfeel: Quite smooth, but with a bit of alcohol burn at the finish. Medium- to heavy-bodied with very mild carbonation.

Drinkability: Not unusual for this high ABV you do feel the alcohol a bit and feel a bit of burn, but the flavor and everything makes it perfect for drinking slowly (though attentively), so it works great.

An excellent limited release from Ballast Point! Strong, for sure, but really great tasting!

mithrascruor, Dec 11, 2010
4.75/5  rDev +8.2%

Poured into a snifter

A: Pours a very cold dark black. So dark it almost has a bluish tint to it. Very small brown head, disappears quickly into a slight ring around the edges of my glass. No chance you will see anything through this glass.

S: This beer smells amazing, tons of roasted coffee. If there is anything else (I am sure there is) I am missing it as I only smell the coffee.

T: Wow the flavor is very layered and complex, there is a blast of roasted coffee beans, the bitterness of dark chocolate, a touch of prune/black currant sweetness, and some alcohol warmth. Very well balanced.

M: The mouth is very creamy/chewy on this beer. Not too much carbonation, with a smooth full body.

D: I love the flavor of this beer, and never mind the ABV I cannot wait until my next sip let alone my next glass. I probably couldn't drink this beer all night as the ABV would hit me hard, but the flavor is phenomenal and will keep me coming back for more.

SiepJones, Dec 11, 2010

Super stoked to try this one, one of my top wants, always eluded me...

A--Plenty of lacing, nice opaque hue.

S--Coffee and chocolate really come through in the nose along with touch of vanilla, very nice.

T--I really can taste both the dark chocolate/mocha in this guy, not really a lot of vanilla which I was hoping for, but still very tasty...

M--nice silky mouthfeel.

D--I am really happy to get my hands on this, and look forward to more of it in an upcoming trade. Definitely an excellent brew, highly recommended...

garbercury, Dec 10, 2010
4.2/5  rDev -4.3%

2010 release, 22 oz. bomber. Shared with BAs brun and NYManc.

Poured into a Corsendonk tulip.

A beautiful deep dark-brown color with a thin tan head of short retention. Barely translucent throughout. Smell is incredibly full of dark-roasted coffee bean, as it's the first thing to immediately hit the nose. After all that coffee, were some nice milk chocolate and vanilla bean sweetness notes that really amplified the drink experience. There were some small hints of toasted malt throughout too.

Taste was incredibly roasty with the coffee dictating most of this porter's flavors. The coffee beans were nicely roasted with no points of astringency found at all, which is a nice plus. There was a good amount of maltiness to the taste, as well as some smooth cocoa/chocolate aspects. Not much of a vanilla flavor as I hoped it to have, but the beer was substantial as is.

Mouthfeel felt silky all the way through with low amounts of carbonation. Medium in body and weight. Drinkability is incredible on this beer. One bomber was definitely not enough for us three. Very flavorful and smooth-drinking. The 10% ABV isn't found in the taste at all, but it'll keep you at bay in the long run. Another damn delicious gem from BP.

infi, Dec 09, 2010
4.65/5  rDev +5.9%

poured from the very first bomber I aquired upon this year's release. Have had four or five others by now but this is the first I've allowed to properly cellar for a little while, so decided to review.

looks beautiful. pours black as motor oil with a cafe' mocha colored head. poured ever so softly and still rendered nearly a 3/4 finger head. excellent head retention, sticky in the best sense of the word.

Smells heavenly. no frontin, just as the label reads, COFFEE and vanilla. but what's really interesting, as it warms and the 10% begins to become slightly noticable you also almost get the notes of a smoked porter that you love to smell but sometimes taste unbalanced.

but the nose misleads in this one aspect,the smoked roastyness of these malts are perfectly balanced with the vanilla. wonderful mouthfeel as you take a balanced journey between a nice bitter coffee finish, a sort of barrel-aged sweet vanilla type taste toward the front. it's just so tasty. exceptional really. world class imperial porter, as good as some of the best out there.

Makes me wanna crack open a 21st Anniversary Deschutes imperial porter ive been aging for over a year and compare. maybe tomorrow

the drinkability of this masterful brew comes down to one simple fact. Though it is one of the most enjoyable brews, $50 for myself and my craft loving lady to have partaken just 100fl, well it's just bad economy of scale. wish more people appreciated the majesty of IMPERIAL Porter. increased demand would finance a boost in supply.

Cheers!

JamesMcPolin, Dec 07, 2010
4.65/5  rDev +5.9%

A:Pours a thin black w/ a chocolate ice cream colored head, a good finger thick of it.

S: Roasted grain w/ hints of vanilla and coffee bean aromas stick in my nose. What a great smell

T: Thick of a nice consistent/mellow porter with vanilla following the roasted grains. Then deep roasted coffee bean taste to finish. Coffee bean after taste as well as the lush grain taste.

M: Very smooth with a light to medium carbonation. This is the my ideal mouthfeel for a porter.

D: Although huge abv, easy to drink. My favorite porter so far. The flavors go together so well. I am going to have a hard time aging a couple of these because I'm always going to want one. So good.

gregshead, Dec 07, 2010
4.08/5  rDev -7.1%

i tried this earlier today with friends, bottles were nicely chilled -
everybody loved this, and there were more remarks about chocolate flavor than coffee or vanilla - now i'm having a glass at home, served a little warmer -
pours a deep chestnut brown, nearly opaque
the 1 finger head recedes to form a 1/4 inch collar around the glass with spotty lacing on the sides and a swirly 'crema' on the surface -
not much aroma from this -
taste is complex and smoooothe - yes, i can taste the vanilla notes and the coffee, with a little choco/toffee on the finish -very well balanced - i cannot taste the alcohol in this 10% brew - damn! is this smooth!
mouthfeel is quite good with a creaminess that begs for the next sip - not sticky - medium/full bodied
drinks waaay too easy for the abv
great stuff!

JoeBloe, Dec 06, 2010
3.85/5  rDev -12.3%

22oz bomber shared with my roomate. 2010 bottle out of my Harpoon LE glass.

A- Dark black, almost stout like. Nice light mocha head, with good lacing.

S- Malt and coffee mostly. Little big of Vanilla too. A nice blend, and a strong smelling porter.

T- Very nice and smooth up front, transitions to dark coffee flavor. The aftertaste is coffee grounds and vanilla, little bit of chocolate too. Some malt, but the coffee is pretty overpowering.

M- Very nice, good for the style. Nice aftertaste, and smooth body.

D- Very drinkable, and quite tasty. The coffee is a little strong, but it's not too bad.

All in all one of the better Porters I've had recently, and nice complex beer all around. For the price, this one is a great buy

Gfunk720, Dec 05, 2010
4.05/5  rDev -7.7%

Appearance: A gentle pour from the bottle, the beer is black, dark and viscous. There is virtually no head atop this brew, only a thin ring of coffee colored foam where the beer meets the glass.

Smell: Nice roasted quality with some chocolate and coffee mixed in. I've been sitting on this one for a while, I get the impression the coffee has faded somewhat. Still, smells very good.

Taste: Some nice hints of vanilla, I really didn't get much of it in the nose so it's a bit of a surprise. The roasted quality isn't as pronounced as it was in the nose. Sweet, milk chocolate. Everything is pretty well balanced. Not getting much coffee, but again I think that's the result of the beer sitting down in my cellar.

Mouthfeel: Nice medium body, good carbonation. Very easy drinking beer given its potency.

Drinkability: A fine drinking porter perfect for a cold night like tonight. My one gripe is that I should have opened this one up sooner. I'd like to try it fresher and see if the coffee comes through more. Still, I'm enjoying it and I would recommend it to anybody.

krisandajt, Dec 05, 2010
4.55/5  rDev +3.6%

A - Pitch black color with a chocolate head which dissipates very slowly

S - I can smell the coffee from several feet away! Upon closer inspection it is indeed one of the most intense coffee noses I've smelled mixed with hints of vanilla and chocolate

T - True to form, it delivers a superb coffee & vanilla taste (I'm not even that fond of coffee). A bit suspicious of the "natural flavors"noted on the bottle, but....wow. I want more.

M - Rather dull considering the style, but it is obviously not the point of this beer

D - Hides the alcohol superbly and the coffee & vanilla taste does not wear, always leaving me wanting more

ebin6, Dec 04, 2010
4.33/5  rDev -1.4%

$9.99 for the bomber at DeCicco's, Ardsley, NY.

Pours straight up black, dark mocha head, thats rich, dense and staying around. Thick sheeting and nice looking and well developed lacing left behind.

Nose resonates with coffee and more coffee. Also some dark grains, mocha, light chocolate.

Full flavor porter, lucious waves of coffee, chocolate, vanilla, and dark malty goodness. Rich, dense, boldly amped up and thoroughly tasty stuff. Heavy and viscious on the tongue and coating the mouth.

Over the top and highly worthy of seeking out.

Billolick, Dec 02, 2010
4.43/5  rDev +0.9%

bomber served in a snifter glass.

pours an opaque, motor oil black with a creamy khaki toned head that slowly recedes into a collar around the glass; nice walls of lacing. all around great looking beer. exactly what i look for.

nose opens with an unmistakable coffee presence, followed by roasted malts and chocolate. reminds me somewhat of founders breakfast stout.

aroma characters largely pull through in the taste with plenty of coffee and roasted malts, but there's a vanilla note i missed in the nose, albeit a muted one... some bitterness to the finish, with vanilla showing up a bit more in the aftetaste. overall, a really tasty, dare i say delicious beer. well done.

smooth, velvety moutfeel... medium bodied, though a bit lighter than most similar-styled beers; appropriate carbonation. 10% ABV makes its high drinkability rather dangerous.

perrymarcus, Nov 26, 2010
4.45/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Bottle received in a trade with Jophish. Thanks Joe!

A: Black with brown highlights and a thick white head that dissipates quickly.

S: Thick roasted malts, with some coffee and a little chocolate showing through. Nice dark chocolate cake effect. Not as sweet or vanilla-heavy as expected.

T: Roasted coffee, light chocolate, and vanilla. As it warms, vanilla becomes more prominent with a little sweetness, bringing chocolate tort to mind. There's a slight alcohol bite, but for the most part, it's pretty well covered. Finishes with a lengthy coffee bitterness and roasted malt combination.

M: Medium to thick with moderate carbonation. Finishes quite dry.

I received this beer late 2009, so am guessing that it has dried out a bit from what it started as. But as far as I can tell, time hasn't hurt it much as the coffee and vanilla are still very evident. This is a great beer and I'll definitely jump at the chance to grab it should I come across it in the future.

GeezLynn, Nov 25, 2010
4.2/5  rDev -4.3%

This bottle was a gift from drabmuh. Thanks Matt!

A: A flawless appearance. The beer is jet black and completely opaque. There is a dense, thick, foamy head of a dark tan color. The head retention is great and the glass is coated in lacing.

S: Fresh coffee beans. I am a coffee drinker, and I appreciate the aroma of fresh coffee. We are off to a great start with this beer. Also noted are scents of roasted malt, chocolate, vanilla, and alcohol.

T: The beer tastes great. The coffee is more present than the vanilla. The beer leads off with coffee and segues to vanilla and chocolate intertwined in roasted malt. Very impressive. As good as it is, I wish Ballast Point would use authentic vanilla instead of natural flavors. This beer is so close to being amazing. It's the little things that often make the biggest difference.

M: The beer is very flavorful and smooth. The 10% alcohol is disguised very well. It's creamy and thick, with the perfect carbonation level.

D: It's so good, I'm drinking it too fast, but not as fast as last time (see notes). This stuff can catch up to you quickly. I thoroughly enjoy this beer. I'm taking down the bomber by myself tonight, as I have been really looking forward to a good night to enjoy it, but honestly, it's probably best shared a few ways.

Note: Chugging this beer midway through an epic tasting can lead to immediate and irreversible intoxication (even if your friend grills you chicken in the middle of the night) and palate wrecking, causing the imbiber to not be able to differentiate Kate the Great from Alpha Kong. Seriously.

Huhzubendah, Nov 23, 2010
4.22/5  rDev -3.9%

Good coffee flavor with hint of vanilla and nuts. Short lived tan head. Dark brown in color. You can taste the hops, but they are not overpowering. The alcohol flavor is there, but not overwhelming. Very good porter, but it would probably improve with age.

lcdumchus, Nov 22, 2010
3.3/5  rDev -24.8%

Pours blackish, strong frothy head, sticky lacing, red hues in the light, pretty.

Sweet rich coffee, not much else.

Lots of luscious coffee, not gonna lie - can't find much of any vanilla. Detecting a bit of hops.

Lots of heat and sharp carbonation. Smooth density contrasts the alcohol bite and carbonation AND coffee bitterness too much. Could use some time in the cellar.

Not a bad beer, great coffee quality, rich and creamy.

ptykozoon, Nov 15, 2010
3.43/5  rDev -21.9%

22oz bomber poured into a Duvel tulip.

Pours a velvety black with a very small light brown head that quickly dies down. Nose is coffee, a bit of sweet vanilla and chocolate malts.

Taste is rich and sweet, the coffee bitterness is quite strong and present, a bit astringent and harsh. The vanilla isn't very apparent but I think it's toning down the bitterness of the coffee a bit. It's pretty good but a bit harsh for drinking a lot of.

kingcrowing, Nov 14, 2010
4.28/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours dark brown chocolate, not quite black with a mocha head that leaves lots of lacing.

Smell of roasted coffee, vanilla , roasted malts, and sweet sugar.

Taste of not surprisingly, Coffee, vanilla and roasted malts. There is a bitterness that is slightly different, but could also be perceived as licorice mixed with dark burnt malt. Not a whole lot of ashy flavors, but Charred flavor seems to be pretty strong. In other words, burnt, but sweet mixed with vanilla flavored sugars. If you let this warm in your mouth a little bit, the vanilla really becomes more prevalent and tasty.

Mediated carbonation levels with a nice mouthfeel that is not too thick but definitely not thin. All in all, a very drinkable coffee Vanilla Porter.

alpinebryant, Nov 13, 2010
Victory At Sea Coffee Vanilla Imperial Porter from Ballast Point Brewing Company