Victory At Sea Coffee Vanilla Imperial Porter - Ballast Point Brewing Company

Victory At Sea Coffee Vanilla Imperial PorterVictory At Sea Coffee Vanilla Imperial Porter

Ballast Point Brewing Company visit their website

American Porter |  10.00% ABV

"Imperial Porter"

(Beer added by: radshoesbro on 03-17-2009)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Victory At Sea Coffee Vanilla Imperial Porter Alström Bros
3.38/5  rDev -23%

One of my all time favorites. First time review. First bottle of the 2010 batch. Poured into my St. Bernardus goblet.

A: Pour is a dark brown. Very dark, almost black when held to the light. Slight foaming at edge of glass, but no real head to speak of. Small groupings of bubbles ride the surface.

S: Coffee first. Followed by vanilla and some chocolate notes. Some chocolate malt presence as well.

T: The vanilla comes first mixed with some roast coffee. Chocolate malt follows and then aftertaste picks up the coffee again. Boozy, but well hidden. Some bitterness present, most likely from the coffee.

M: Solid carbonation makes this beer feel lighter than it really is. Very deceptive. A bit viscous for a porter however.

D: Extremely drinkable. Even better after a year or 2 when alcohol mellows. Be careful though as the abv will catch up quickly.

Overall I love this beer. Like I said, one of my all time favorites and without a doubt my favorite porter. That being said, it very often doesn't feel like a porter. I will drink this beer again, and again, and again...

mrmiles, Dec 28, 2010
4.6/5  rDev +4.8%

From a bomber into an oversized mug (single 22 oz. pour).

Pours a dark chocolate brown with a light brown head that sits for a minute, then dissipates into a small film.

Aroma is actually pretty chocolately; moreso than I expected. Almost like a plain Hershey bar. A bit of coffee in the back as well.

The flavor of this beer is phenomenal, and totally as advertised. The chocolate from the nose is third banana to the coffee, and the vanilla accent. They are perfect compliments to one another. This is a perfect dessert brew; a slow sipper for sure. The flavors were a little milder and cleaner when the beer was cool. When it warmed up a bit, the coffee took over, which was nice, but the profile certainly changed.

Mouthfeel is perfect for this brew. From the color and aroma, I suspected this would come off with stout density and bitterness, but it was perfect.

Drinkability is superb. I wish this beer was a sandwich garnish, a steak sauce, a pancake syrup, or a pie filling. This flavor profile is awesome. Merry Christmas to me.

stonermouse, Dec 27, 2010
4.33/5  rDev -1.4%

Wow - like drinking a chocolate mocha creme pie! A great dessert to linger over on Christmas Eve.

It pours with a light tan colored head with modest lacing. Coffee and vanilla are both very prominent on the nose. The flavor combines these notes with chocolate and bread from the malts. Throughout, the coffee is very prominent and tastes about as rich and fresh as any coffee I have had in a beer (and better than you'd get with most coffee in this country). The vanilla is well integrated and doesn't stand out as much as it seems to holds things together.

A very tasty, sweet libation for slow sipping.

CliffBrake, Dec 25, 2010
4.43/5  rDev +0.9%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A: The beer is a deep black color, with a short light brown head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is full of coffee, roasted malts, vanilla, some chocolate and a touch of hops.

T: The taste starts out sweet with strong creamy flavors of vanilla and coffee up front. Then a very hearty roasted malt character comes in along with some background flavors of chocolate, dark fruit and a little smokiness. The hops presence is very mild but complementary and strong enough to bring a good balance. The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: Crisp and very smooth, medium-to-heavy body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

D: Very tasty, goes down dangerously easy, slightly filling, strong but disguised kick, very good representation of style, this is a very flavorful porter that is worth drinking for a long time if you're in the mood for the style.

TheManiacalOne, Dec 22, 2010
4.18/5  rDev -4.8%

Poured from a bomber into my Otter Creek nonic.

Pours big, dark and thick with a half-inch tan head that recedes slowly. There's a ton of sticky, stringy lacing that just completely coats the inside of the glass. Really a rather pretty beer. Smell is full of coffee beans, coffee beans, coffee beans. You've really got to whiff it good to detect the other nuanced scents in there. After a few deep sniffs, I get the titular vanilla along with some dark chocolate, berries and caramel.. Definitely one of the more complex-smelling beers I've ever sampled.

I thought I knew what to expect tastewise, but this beer totally surprises me. Tons of roasted malts dominate the flavor profile, along with the substantial coffee character. Not too much astringency. Can't really detect the vanilla, which is slightly disappointing, but not dealbreaking. There are notes of sweet, dark and bitter chocolate towards the end with maybe just a hint of alcohol warmth. Mouthfeel is really quite nice, with a medium body and smooth finish. Carbonation is pretty non-existent. Not really chewy, but has a nice amount of oomph that makes the drinking experience quite pleasant.

Drinkability is great with this beer. It looks great, smells and tastes very good and goes down easy. If you love coffee, you'll love this beer, because fresh, it tastes almost like an iced coffee. You'll just need to be careful, because unlike an iced coffee, this porter carries a very well-hidden 10% ABV that can be very dangerous. On the whole, a great beer to crack open with a few friends.

r0nyn, Dec 21, 2010
4.03/5  rDev -8.2%

Poured a complete black. Very nice brown head and it amazingly thickens up and stays with the brew considering its at 10% abv.

The smell is of fresh ground coffee, chocolate, and slight vanilla.

I cant pick any vanilla up in the taste. The taste is mostly of coffee and to me it overpowers the aftertaste just a tad.

The mouthfeel is very thick so this isnt a beer you could drink a lot of, and at 10% thats not always a bad thing.

A great beer overall but personally not my favorite. Worth trying for sure though.

Eriktheipaman, Dec 20, 2010
3.9/5  rDev -11.2%

Live Review from a bottle:

Appearance: Pours a pitch black with a sliky texture like oil. The head is a dark toffee colo with nice retention and lacing around the glass.

Aroma: Is coffee with a vanilla softness. Some nice roasted malts pop up too.

Taste: Like the bottle says and the way it pours this beer is silky/velvety. Nice smooth coffee flavor up front not as over powering as most similar beers brewed with coffee. Subtly vanilla sweetness. Chocolate undertones, with a nice roasted malt character.

Mouthfeel: Silky and smooth. Nicely balanced and does not dry out the palate no bitterness.

Dinkability: I would have this bad boy again however I am not a big fan of coffee drinks, I have to be in the mood for them. But I would reach for this one... Nice balance of flavors- some coffee brews are too intense.

beersensei305, Dec 17, 2010
4.15/5  rDev -5.5%

The title of this beer is quite the mouthful! I recently came across a forum discussion about the difference between an imperial stout and an imperial porter. The short answer: little if anything. With that question answered, I dove in.

This beer smells really good. I am partial to the flavors of vanilla and coffee and how just the smell of them affect me physically being a coffee drinker. I perked up immediately and figured I was in for a treat.

The taste was very good. Robust, with a solid texture, mostly balanced and not overdone vanilla and coffee. Actually, I could have gone for a tad bit more on those flavors, but this bottle is a year old, so I don't know whether they faded a bit or what. A great choice for a cool fall evening, I just wish I still had a fireplace to enjoy it next to. A lot more low key than some of the crazy RIS's like Darklord, Darkness, etc. - and I say this as a good thing. Not a flavor bomb or chewy, thick, sweet cloying mess like the above beers can be (they are still delicious, just not as a whole bomber on a regular evening).

Really good beer. Did not slay me, but definitely worth efforting to try. One of those beers you wish you had gotten more of...

seeswo, Dec 15, 2010
4.22/5  rDev -3.9%

Decided to crack this one as a reward after finishing law school exams.... 22oz bottle from Fa10 poured into snifter.

A: The darkest brown, just a shade short of black fading along the edges to an almost reddish color. 1/4 inch light brown head with enough viscosity to lightly coat the edge of my glass.

S: Not as strong as I would expect but very nuanced and well-balanced between the coffee and sweet vanilla notes.

T: Changing swallow by swallow but I'm getting a hint of the alcohol heat to start, then the vanilla and sweetness, followed up by the deliciousness of the coffee . Very well balanced and tasty!

M: Solid amount of carbonation allows the flavors to fill the mouth and tongue. Leaves enough coating in the mouth to let you keep tasting it but not so much that it's thick.

D: Very high... the coffee finish makes you want to keep drinking more to balance with the initial sweetness. The non-heavy mouthfeel contributes as well. I could easily drink 2 of these in a sitting but at 10%, it'd hit me hard.

Went out of my way to order this one to Georgia and I'm glad I did. Another well done offering by the folks at Ballast Point.

Double06, Dec 15, 2010
4.4/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

From notes. Poured into a Red Oak globe glass

A-- Poured black with tints of red. Settled black. One finger dark mocha colored head. Very fluffy, very good head retention. On swirling some noticeable alcohol.

S-- Coffee. Not really overpowering but there. Roasted malts and some hints of vanilla as well.

T-- Coffee, vanilla and carmel. The carmel really stood out. Reminded me more of an iced coffee. Quite nice.

M-- Medium light body and a bit velvety. Carmel and vanilla in the front and roasted malts and coffee finish. Was a little bitter in the end with a vanilla finish.

D-- Well balanced. Sometimes coffee, sometimes vanilla and sometimes carmel. No taste able alcohol to this. Was a bit light in spots but very, very good, Easily could have had a second bomber of it and been happy and not had an issue with it. Very happy to have had one of the beers I have been wanting for a while. Did not disappoint one bit.

mulder1010, Dec 14, 2010
4.43/5  rDev +0.9%

Shared with BA infi and brun. Poured into a Corsendonk tulip.

A: Poured motor oil black with a small light mocha head. The head retreated within a short period of time. When swirled the head the would reappear with a slightly more tan head.

S: First smells bring dark coffee. Smells of mouth-watering sweet vanilla and chocolate after multiple smells. Roasted malts were also found in this mix. Very very good smell.

T: Tastes follow the nose. First sips bring upon a taste of dark coffee. Vanilla initially in there too. After that I tasted the roasted taste of the malts mixed with dark chocolate. No taste of alcohol here, very well hidden. A very delicious brew.

M: Medium to heavy bodied. Mildly carbonated and goes smooth going down.

D: Even though its 10% ABV, its very easy to drink and I could drink many glasses. I would recommend this to everyone.

NYManc, Dec 13, 2010
4.25/5  rDev -3.2%

Pour a thick used motor oil black color with a smallish dense tan head that left a wall of clingly lacing.

The aroma is of a nice milk chocolate with some vanilla, caramel and light coffee notes. Kind of smells like a tootsie roll.

The taste starts off with a nice shot of vanilla and then is followed by a smooth caramel, milk chocolate and fudge flavors. I pick up some standard coffee notes but the brew seems to have more chocolate notes than coffee. There is a bit of a sour berry flavor that adds some balance to the porter.

Full body, chewy and a bit sticky. Soft to tingly carbonation adds a touch of bite. Fairly sweet on the palate but has a good roasted offset. At times I get a bit of a ABV belly burn, though you don't pick up the alcohol in the flavor.

This is a very robust and flavorful porter. The body and high abv limit the drinkability but if you are looking to try a damn tasty porter (stout), try this one.

Gmann, Dec 12, 2010
4.6/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Pours a deep, black color with a fading tan head that leaves plenty of lacing.

Smells of delicious roasted coffee.

Tastes of the delicious roasted notes. Notes of coffee, chocolate, and brown sugar. Vanilla notes come in the end and add a flair to the coffee. Everything is really well balanced. Alcohol is hardly noticeable at 10% and makes this brew a little dangerous.

Mouthfeel is full with a creamy amount of carbonation.

ocelot2500, Dec 12, 2010
4.13/5  rDev -5.9%

Leaving for Florida in a few hours, and I wanted to start the trip strong by drinking a good solid beer...

Poured from bomber into a Ballast Point pint glass...

A - Pours black with a one finger brown head. Head retention is decent and there is alot of sexy lacing to be had...

S - The name says it all. Coffee and vanilla dominate...

T - Once again, I remember why I keep coming back to this one. One word sums it up best: delicious. Dark roasted malts, and dark chocolates followed by a smooth vanilla insurgence. Ends on slight coffee bitterness with next to no alcohol to be tasted...

M - Nice and creamy, but not thick. This is one of those beers that can get you into trouble with because it is so smooth. While I won't go as far to call this a session beer, my financial disposition wouldn't allow it to be even if it was, this one is smooth and light enough to put a couple back in one sitting...

D - Was looking foward to this release, and I wasn't disippointed. Have already put about 5 of these bad boys down in the last month or two, and I am bummed I only have one more left. If you see one of these on the shelf definitely give a try...

Cheers...

comfortablynumb1, Dec 12, 2010
4.43/5  rDev +0.9%

22 oz. bottle poured into a chalice.

Appearance: Pours a solid black color, somewhat glossy, with a dark tan film with some lacing at the edges.

Smell: Deep roasted malt aroma - a little nutty - with some coffee hints coming in after a bit. There's some sweetness, but it is my no means strong.

Taste: Tons of roasted malt up-front. But it, and the coffee and hazelnut flavors that come in, get balanced out by a nice taste of vanilla underneath. There's definitely some alcohol warmness in the finish and aftertaste, but no actual flavor of it. The flavors are all nicely balanced, so nothing takes over.

Mouthfeel: Quite smooth, but with a bit of alcohol burn at the finish. Medium- to heavy-bodied with very mild carbonation.

Drinkability: Not unusual for this high ABV you do feel the alcohol a bit and feel a bit of burn, but the flavor and everything makes it perfect for drinking slowly (though attentively), so it works great.

An excellent limited release from Ballast Point! Strong, for sure, but really great tasting!

mithrascruor, Dec 11, 2010
4.75/5  rDev +8.2%

Poured into a snifter

A: Pours a very cold dark black. So dark it almost has a bluish tint to it. Very small brown head, disappears quickly into a slight ring around the edges of my glass. No chance you will see anything through this glass.

S: This beer smells amazing, tons of roasted coffee. If there is anything else (I am sure there is) I am missing it as I only smell the coffee.

T: Wow the flavor is very layered and complex, there is a blast of roasted coffee beans, the bitterness of dark chocolate, a touch of prune/black currant sweetness, and some alcohol warmth. Very well balanced.

M: The mouth is very creamy/chewy on this beer. Not too much carbonation, with a smooth full body.

D: I love the flavor of this beer, and never mind the ABV I cannot wait until my next sip let alone my next glass. I probably couldn't drink this beer all night as the ABV would hit me hard, but the flavor is phenomenal and will keep me coming back for more.

SiepJones, Dec 11, 2010

Super stoked to try this one, one of my top wants, always eluded me...

A--Plenty of lacing, nice opaque hue.

S--Coffee and chocolate really come through in the nose along with touch of vanilla, very nice.

T--I really can taste both the dark chocolate/mocha in this guy, not really a lot of vanilla which I was hoping for, but still very tasty...

M--nice silky mouthfeel.

D--I am really happy to get my hands on this, and look forward to more of it in an upcoming trade. Definitely an excellent brew, highly recommended...

garbercury, Dec 10, 2010
4.2/5  rDev -4.3%

2010 release, 22 oz. bomber. Shared with BAs brun and NYManc.

Poured into a Corsendonk tulip.

A beautiful deep dark-brown color with a thin tan head of short retention. Barely translucent throughout. Smell is incredibly full of dark-roasted coffee bean, as it's the first thing to immediately hit the nose. After all that coffee, were some nice milk chocolate and vanilla bean sweetness notes that really amplified the drink experience. There were some small hints of toasted malt throughout too.

Taste was incredibly roasty with the coffee dictating most of this porter's flavors. The coffee beans were nicely roasted with no points of astringency found at all, which is a nice plus. There was a good amount of maltiness to the taste, as well as some smooth cocoa/chocolate aspects. Not much of a vanilla flavor as I hoped it to have, but the beer was substantial as is.

Mouthfeel felt silky all the way through with low amounts of carbonation. Medium in body and weight. Drinkability is incredible on this beer. One bomber was definitely not enough for us three. Very flavorful and smooth-drinking. The 10% ABV isn't found in the taste at all, but it'll keep you at bay in the long run. Another damn delicious gem from BP.

infi, Dec 09, 2010
4.65/5  rDev +5.9%

poured from the very first bomber I aquired upon this year's release. Have had four or five others by now but this is the first I've allowed to properly cellar for a little while, so decided to review.

looks beautiful. pours black as motor oil with a cafe' mocha colored head. poured ever so softly and still rendered nearly a 3/4 finger head. excellent head retention, sticky in the best sense of the word.

Smells heavenly. no frontin, just as the label reads, COFFEE and vanilla. but what's really interesting, as it warms and the 10% begins to become slightly noticable you also almost get the notes of a smoked porter that you love to smell but sometimes taste unbalanced.

but the nose misleads in this one aspect,the smoked roastyness of these malts are perfectly balanced with the vanilla. wonderful mouthfeel as you take a balanced journey between a nice bitter coffee finish, a sort of barrel-aged sweet vanilla type taste toward the front. it's just so tasty. exceptional really. world class imperial porter, as good as some of the best out there.

Makes me wanna crack open a 21st Anniversary Deschutes imperial porter ive been aging for over a year and compare. maybe tomorrow

the drinkability of this masterful brew comes down to one simple fact. Though it is one of the most enjoyable brews, $50 for myself and my craft loving lady to have partaken just 100fl, well it's just bad economy of scale. wish more people appreciated the majesty of IMPERIAL Porter. increased demand would finance a boost in supply.

Cheers!

JamesMcPolin, Dec 07, 2010
4.65/5  rDev +5.9%

A:Pours a thin black w/ a chocolate ice cream colored head, a good finger thick of it.

S: Roasted grain w/ hints of vanilla and coffee bean aromas stick in my nose. What a great smell

T: Thick of a nice consistent/mellow porter with vanilla following the roasted grains. Then deep roasted coffee bean taste to finish. Coffee bean after taste as well as the lush grain taste.

M: Very smooth with a light to medium carbonation. This is the my ideal mouthfeel for a porter.

D: Although huge abv, easy to drink. My favorite porter so far. The flavors go together so well. I am going to have a hard time aging a couple of these because I'm always going to want one. So good.

gregshead, Dec 07, 2010
4.08/5  rDev -7.1%

i tried this earlier today with friends, bottles were nicely chilled -
everybody loved this, and there were more remarks about chocolate flavor than coffee or vanilla - now i'm having a glass at home, served a little warmer -
pours a deep chestnut brown, nearly opaque
the 1 finger head recedes to form a 1/4 inch collar around the glass with spotty lacing on the sides and a swirly 'crema' on the surface -
not much aroma from this -
taste is complex and smoooothe - yes, i can taste the vanilla notes and the coffee, with a little choco/toffee on the finish -very well balanced - i cannot taste the alcohol in this 10% brew - damn! is this smooth!
mouthfeel is quite good with a creaminess that begs for the next sip - not sticky - medium/full bodied
drinks waaay too easy for the abv
great stuff!

JoeBloe, Dec 06, 2010
3.85/5  rDev -12.3%

22oz bomber shared with my roomate. 2010 bottle out of my Harpoon LE glass.

A- Dark black, almost stout like. Nice light mocha head, with good lacing.

S- Malt and coffee mostly. Little big of Vanilla too. A nice blend, and a strong smelling porter.

T- Very nice and smooth up front, transitions to dark coffee flavor. The aftertaste is coffee grounds and vanilla, little bit of chocolate too. Some malt, but the coffee is pretty overpowering.

M- Very nice, good for the style. Nice aftertaste, and smooth body.

D- Very drinkable, and quite tasty. The coffee is a little strong, but it's not too bad.

All in all one of the better Porters I've had recently, and nice complex beer all around. For the price, this one is a great buy

Gfunk720, Dec 05, 2010
4.05/5  rDev -7.7%

Appearance: A gentle pour from the bottle, the beer is black, dark and viscous. There is virtually no head atop this brew, only a thin ring of coffee colored foam where the beer meets the glass.

Smell: Nice roasted quality with some chocolate and coffee mixed in. I've been sitting on this one for a while, I get the impression the coffee has faded somewhat. Still, smells very good.

Taste: Some nice hints of vanilla, I really didn't get much of it in the nose so it's a bit of a surprise. The roasted quality isn't as pronounced as it was in the nose. Sweet, milk chocolate. Everything is pretty well balanced. Not getting much coffee, but again I think that's the result of the beer sitting down in my cellar.

Mouthfeel: Nice medium body, good carbonation. Very easy drinking beer given its potency.

Drinkability: A fine drinking porter perfect for a cold night like tonight. My one gripe is that I should have opened this one up sooner. I'd like to try it fresher and see if the coffee comes through more. Still, I'm enjoying it and I would recommend it to anybody.

krisandajt, Dec 05, 2010
4.55/5  rDev +3.6%

A - Pitch black color with a chocolate head which dissipates very slowly

S - I can smell the coffee from several feet away! Upon closer inspection it is indeed one of the most intense coffee noses I've smelled mixed with hints of vanilla and chocolate

T - True to form, it delivers a superb coffee & vanilla taste (I'm not even that fond of coffee). A bit suspicious of the "natural flavors"noted on the bottle, but....wow. I want more.

M - Rather dull considering the style, but it is obviously not the point of this beer

D - Hides the alcohol superbly and the coffee & vanilla taste does not wear, always leaving me wanting more

ebin6, Dec 04, 2010
4.33/5  rDev -1.4%

$9.99 for the bomber at DeCicco's, Ardsley, NY.

Pours straight up black, dark mocha head, thats rich, dense and staying around. Thick sheeting and nice looking and well developed lacing left behind.

Nose resonates with coffee and more coffee. Also some dark grains, mocha, light chocolate.

Full flavor porter, lucious waves of coffee, chocolate, vanilla, and dark malty goodness. Rich, dense, boldly amped up and thoroughly tasty stuff. Heavy and viscious on the tongue and coating the mouth.

Over the top and highly worthy of seeking out.

Billolick, Dec 02, 2010
Victory At Sea Coffee Vanilla Imperial Porter from Ballast Point Brewing Company