Victory At Sea Coffee Vanilla Imperial Porter - Ballast Point Brewing Company

Victory At Sea Coffee Vanilla Imperial PorterVictory At Sea Coffee Vanilla Imperial Porter

Ballast Point Brewing Company visit their website

American Porter |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: radshoesbro on 03-17-2009

Our Victory at Sea Imperial Porter is a bold, smooth brew with just the right amount of sweetness. We infused this robust porter with whole vanilla beans and San Diego’s own Caffe Calabria coffee beans. The subtle roasted notes and minimal acidity of the cold brewed coffee, balances perfectly with the sweet caramel undertones of the malt, creating a winning combination for your palate.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Victory At Sea Coffee Vanilla Imperial Porter Alström Bros
Ratings: 5,559 | Reviews: 1,234

Appearance: Pours thick and black... Looks real good! Had a quick rising head and quickly dissipated to none due to the 10% ABV. Lost of lacing on the glass.

Smell: I picked up the vanilla and chocolate quickly with the sweet notes. Roasty aroma lots coffee busting out. Many other notes I can't point out yet. I love coffee beer so the smell was perfect!

Taste: BIG roasty flavor up front for me. I get vanilla & chocolate then all the dark malts with the coffee at the end. Not a coffee drinker so it really hits at the end for me.

Mouthfeel: Heavy body, some carbonation... what I would expect for a porter. creamy, smooth finish.

Overall: Amazing if you like coffee porters or stouts. This is a must get!

22 oz. bomber poured into "stout glass" -- tall tulip

L: black as it rests on the table with a thick tan head of sticky foam ... head is a solid inch tall and the sticking is incredible, looks like leftover milkshake; the lacing is unbelievable ... it's like a coat of paint; needless to say, keeps a solid tan collar of foam and about a half a skin (you can't see them, but clearly bubbles are flying up the column in that inner darkness); up to light the beer looks clear, dark orange/amber/brown

S: sweet chocolate, vanilla ... like a yummy ice cream desert, so very sweet (and this is almost ice cold);

T: wow ... uhhhh ... wow -- an instant 5. super sweet chocolate and vanilla with the dark malt giving it a fantastic burnt/bitter finish that's still very smooth because of all the up front sweetness; man, it is packed full of sweet chocolate and burnt dark malt bitterness, both ends just spilling over full of flavor, and the way they're balancing out the swallow is amazing; there's some alcohol flavor in it, but it's not bothering me one bit with all the other flavor; the coffee flavor is nicely sweetened out, so it's much more like a latte than raw coffee/espresso

F: a ton of carbonation really crisps it up; weighty feel

O: big everything ... big sweet, big bitter/burnt notes, big ABV that instantly makes its presence felt, even big carbonation with a big look with all the sticking and lacing and perfect black/tan color combo. as good a beer as I've come across and completely worth the money (about $10.50 for the bomber)

Very very tasty...well balanced and smooth...the smell is exactly what's in the title..coffee and vanilla bean with the taste right on point as well with some fudge and milk chocolate notes..abv is well hidden..truly a delicious beer..A+ in my book

The perfect coffee porter. Let me elaborate: I had this on my wants for long time, almost a personal whale if you will. I spied a bottle at Whole Foods in NYC (Tribeca) and my eyes popp'd from my head. I purchased the bottle and opened it for my friend's 30th birthday. It was amazing. The coffee and vanilla were decadent and rich with a delicacy that can't be beat.

Great beer! HUDGE coffee, chocolate, vanilla notes! And for 10% abv very smooth!

Top selling in the bar I work at

Poured from a 12oz. Bottle into a dogfish head sniffter glass at fridge temp.
A - pours a jet black with just slight hints of brown around the edges. . Massive 3 finger pancake colored head. That sucks around for a while. Leaving substantial . Lacing with very present alcohol legs.

S - intense roasted Coffee grinds. French vanilla syrup. Hints of caramel candy. This beer smells unbelievably good. Very similar to southern tier creme Brulee in smell.

T - bitter roasted malts with a slight char. Tons of roasted coffee.middle of the mouth it becomes a vanilla bomb.finished with a strong caramel note with the alcohol present on the way down.

M - full bodied and creamy. Very slick and smooth.almost oatmeal stout feel to it.

O - another strong and solid offering from ballast point.these guys know beer. The best porter I have ever had. From the pour to the last drop in the glass. I'm so glad I picked up a few of these.The place I got them from is all sold out. 5 star good!

CHEERS!

A: Opaque black with a tan, thin ring up top.

S: Fresh black coffee, vanilla bean ice cream, dark fruit, caramel, malt, dessert.

T: Bitter cocoa, black coffee, vanilla sweetness, hint of caramel, bitter dark fruits.

F: Heavy, not too much carbonation.

O: Grapefruit what? Sculpin huh? This is the best thing Ballast Point makes hands down. And actually worth the price they sell it for (at least in 6-packs). This is my go-to stout/porter.

Lovely monster. Appearance is a large tan, slow to settle, thick head with lots of lace and and opaque black brown color. Aroma is coffee, vanilla, roast malt, leather, black earth, dank forest, cement. Flavor's similar to nose, fairly dry, just enough tang and bitter to balance and then a hint of sweet in the finish. Body is just right. Long finish. Nary a hint of strength.

STRONG coffee flavor. Really well done in my opinion

This is one of the best beers I've ever had. It should be in top10 in my opinion. Super delicious porter. You can taste the vanilla, coffee, but everything is super balanced, does not overpower each other. Alcohol is barely there, it's a great tasting beer and easy to drink for the ABV

By far, my favorite beer! The balance between vanilla and coffee is amazing. Many other beers have the same combo and do it well, but Ballast Point takes first prize!

A: Very dark in color, pitch black.

S: Coffee and chocolate.

T: Strong coffee/chocolate flavor. Some toffee?

M: Creamy with good carbonation.

O: Fantastic imperial porter. I'm a coffee fanatic so this beer appeals to me. Would have no problem buying again.

I love this beer, its appearance, smell, taste, and even the cool bottle. it also has some nice carbonation. you get some nice smoke coming out of the bottle when you open it.

You smell and taste the vanilla, but not extreme at all, to me its more of a blend it softens the strong coffee flavor. I do agree that it is a bit acidic from all the coffee, witch to me its the dominant flavor in the beer, but it blends real nice with the vanilla. you can taste the alcohol but I don't get the burning that some talk about at all. maybe it's just me.

just wanted to add that this beer taste better and better as you drink more. as you know the taste of a beer changes by the time you get to the middle of the glass, and then to the bottom. it also changes even more with some beers, as you drink the second one. I din't get some of the flavors until I got to the middle, where their was a nice taste of chocolate that came into the blend.

you must drink the whole beer to get the best experience out of it. It wont be hard to do, with Victory At Sea Coffee Vanilla Imperial Porter!

What can I say? This one pours perfect! Thick head with gobs of lacing stuck on the sides of the glass. The aroma whiffs through the air as you pour this brew into your favorite glass.

Smells of fresh coffee up front. Many in this style have a "stale" coffee smell. This one is fresh and clean. Sweet chocolate and almost a red wine smell. Alcohol and a hint of "bong water" smells. Fresh wheat grass as well.

MMM! WOW! BLISS! Huge brew. Tastes of creamy chocolate liquid mouse. My BA friend in the room tastes milky way candy bars...and so do I. Bitter/burnt chocolate flavors. Alcoholic and very sugary sweet.

This brew is so thick, so creamy, so bitter, and so smooth. Every thing seems to blend together. The only thing that really stands out is the bitterness, and not in a bad way. One of the best brews I have ever had!
Drink this one warm from the start to get the full flavor profile.

Perfect balance of coffee and vanilla. Wonderful!

Big thanks to the crew over at Bruisin Ales in Asheville for the chance to try this brew! Gotta pimp their store since it's so awesome...

Poured into a Yazoo Hop Project tulip pint glass..

Pours a magnificent jet black with a thick 1 inch head that stays virtually the entire time I'm enjoying this one... I mean, this one is ridiculously black.. It's RIS black to say the least... Probably the best looking porter I've ever laid eyes on...

Wow, 2 for 2 so far on this one.. A ridiculously tasty aroma of dark bitter chocolate, dark roasted coffee and loads of roasted malts.. There's almost a smokiness here that really makes this one a joy to just stop and smell over and over...

Well, I'm probably enjoying the best porter that I've ever had the privilege to have.. Edmund Fitzgerald from Great Lakes used to be the best I've ever had but this one has just surpassed it.. It's undescribably delicious with its loads of rich dark roasted malts, crushed up roasted dark coffee beans, subtle hints of vanilla, and bitter dark chocolate influences... I almost got emotional while drinking this one... I'm not sure I could ask for much more out of an American Porter than this one offers... At 10%, this one could hammer you quickly but I can't detect a single tinge of booze out of this one.. It's masterfully crafted....The thick creaminess of this one makes it a real pleasure to enjoy as well.. It's thick and rich but not in a cloying way at all... World class in my opinion..

My ratings say it all.. Obviously, others didn't like this one as much as I have, but I really don't care about that... At this point in time, at this moment, this was the perfect beer to me.. I couldn't ask for anything more out of a beer than what this one provided... I will definitely be getting this one again and again... It's terrific..

I am a sucker for big, roasty, bold, dark beers and this one hits every damn one of those characteristics, and with full force. I am an avid coffee lover, and the strong coffee and hints of vanilla just add to the deliciousness and complexity of this brew. If I had a couple, I'd definitely try one of these with a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream plopped into the glass. Would make for a perfect beer float. I honestly can't find anything that is wrong with this one (and I honestly tried to find something) so that is the reason I gave this a 5.

Unreal!!! Normally a beer with an ABV this high has an overpowering alcohol smell and taste, but this one just punches you with coffee notes!

Another amazing brew from ballast point. Strong coffee notes and smooth Vanilla. great Porter

4.99/5  rDev +13.2%

Appearance: A beautiful opaque black porter with a nice dense head.

Smell: Great. Roasty notes of malt balanced with the subtle sweetness of vanilla beans and bitter coffee

Taste: Incredible. Highly complex, yet easy to drink. The high ABV forces you to slow down, which is a blessing as it allows you to really get the full effect of the beer. A sipping beer, but in a good way.

Feel: Lightly carbonated and creamy.

This is definitely one of my favorite beers of all time. In my opinion, it's the best example of an Imperial Vanilla Porter I've ever had. It balances all the elements just right, so it's never too roasty, too sweet, or too bitter, but rather is all things at once. A delicious, interesting beer that any dark beer fan should love

4.98/5  rDev +12.9%

Oh baby. This stuff here is excellent. Aromatic as fuck, super roasted coffee/chocolate scents. The taste is excellent, the coffee is very forward and tapers down to a light vanilla aftertaste. The ABV is extremely well hidden (careful, it creeps up on you). Rejoice as this is now in 6ers.

I may have a slight bias as I drink my coffee black but Victory at Sea is excellent porter and it does not disappoint. Goes well with brunch or a small light lunch on a weekend.

4.97/5  rDev +12.7%

22 oz. bomber that's been aged about 18 months; poured into a Duvel Tulip Style Glass. Liquid comes out very dark brown, pretty close to black in fact. There are brown highlights and edges. A darker than tan colored head that sticks around for a decent amount of time. The head and liquid itself produces a decent amount of lacing.

Wow does this beer smell great, every swirl makes the aromas dance and scream all the way to your nose. Nice malt backbone (as every porter should have). Huge waves of natural vanilla blended with dark roasted coffee. Smells sweet and big all around.

Taste is 100% truly outstanding in every aspect. I'll certainly put a disclaimer here, I was in the mood for something sweet and this totally hit the spot. As sweet as it is, there is a good balance. The name "Coffee Vanilla Imperial Porter" is truly the perfect description. There may even been the slightest bit of chocolate flavor as well. If you were to wonder what that would taste like, this is exactly it. If this were ice coffee, imagine a dark fresh roasted cup and you're sipping it through a vanilla skewer straw. This is truly the best vanilla flavor in a beer that I've had in something that wasn't barrel aged.

Mouthfeel hit the nail on the head again. Full flavored, but only on the heavier end of medium bodied. Perfect carbonation level, and a great balance of bitter and sweet from the coffee and vanilla. Absolutely no detection of the alcohol, I would have never guessed 10% on this bad boy. Great drinkability here too. Worth sharing, but one person could easily polish it off in a night. Great value too, totally worth the purchase.

4.97/5  rDev +12.7%

Had on tap at Tiger Tiger in San Diego.

Beer poured into a snifter glass.

Beer pours a very dark brown with a bit of light brown head.

Beer smells wonderful. First notes is that of vanilla, followed by a nice rich coffee smell.

Beer tastes even better than it smells. The vanilla sweetness at the front end of the sip give way to a nice malty chocolate, followed by some robust coffee flavors. This is hands down the best beer I have ever tasted.

Beer has a good mouthfeel and is not too thick and just the right smoothness.

Probably the best beer I have ever had. The richness of the coffee taste and how the vanilla adds the right amount of sweetness at the right time makes this beer excellent.

Highly, highly recommended.

4.97/5  rDev +12.7%

22 oz. poured into a snifter. pours a dark ruby brown color with a good light tan head.

the nose starts off with a slight roasted coffee, chocolate, vanilla smell. but once it gets around room temperature, it's almost like waking up with folgers in your cup. glorious.

taste starts with a nice coffee flavor witch leads to a silky smooth piney hop vanilla heaven.

mouthfeel is soft and smooth.

drinkability is insane. such rich strong aroma and flavors masked behind that 10% alcohol. totally worth the mula.

Victory At Sea Coffee Vanilla Imperial Porter from Ballast Point Brewing Company