Habanero Sculpin - Ballast Point Brewing Company

Habanero SculpinHabanero Sculpin

pDev: 16%
Ballast Point Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: billshmeinke on 02-26-2011

Our Sculpin IPA with Habanero Pepper began as a crazy experiment that’s taken on a life of its own. While its bright fruit notes and hoppy bite has made the original one of our favorites, this version takes that balance of flavors to the next level with the citrusy, floral heat of habaneros. Sculpin are known to sting, but this one’s got a kick.
to view more.
Ratings: 1,437 | Reviews: 309
3.89/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

I was expecting a subtle hint of habanero, but this is pretty spicy, on the same level as the spiciest bloody mary's I've had.

I don't know what to say -- if you want a peppery beer, this is a good one. But I'm questioning whether that's something you should want.

4.15/5  rDev +10.7%

This is an interesting and appreciated beer. After some not so pleasant experiences with "spicy" beers in the past, I was very VERY happy with this one. This does not hide the habañero, but balances it nicely. It does blow out a lot of the initial that you would get with their regular sculpin, but adds another stage to the flavor journey you're enjoying. I enjoy spicy foods, and the balance was perfect. It works well with the IPA flavors on the back end and provides a very strong experience. Not one that I tire of quickly like many other less balanced flavored beers. Worth a shot if you enjoy the adventurous side of beer making.

4.25/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Wow!! Soooo hot. Great job Ballast Point. Drinker Beware!!

2.95/5  rDev -21.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

Quite pale. Clear clean and crisp. Head is those large soapy bubbles that don't really settle into a nice film so much as just kind of get less. OK. Acts as a good window for the carbonation show climbing the pillar though.

Starts to hint at sweet malts and juicy hops but is quickly overhwelmed by the vegetal peppers. Like, over overwhelmed. Womp womp.

Flavour has the same MO. Starts in to a solid foundation of sweet malts and juicy citrus hops but quickly the vegetal pepper flavour rushes in and starts smashing the place up.
There's some heat to it as well, but not so much as to be unpleasant. The bitterness here isn't so much hop bitter as it is like... have you ever made a red sauce and overspiced it (I mean neither have I. I wouldn't mess up a sauce!)? It's that kind of vegetal overwhelmed herb/spice bitter that isn't a pleasant bitter. At least for me. I actually like the heat level they have here, but the flavour I'm tried to have described above just brings it too far into the realm of unenjoyable for me. Maybe I'm just not a fan of chili beers in general.
Basic Sculpin I always felt was overrated, but nothing actually wrong with it, Grapefruit I really enjoyed but this one... this is a miss for me. I don't know if I even really feel like drinking the rest of this bottle.

4.54/5  rDev +21.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Nice feel. Great after. Would get again

3.43/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a light golden color with a white head that does fade a bit quickly, lacing slightly. The aroma has the grapefruit notes and hop explosion found in Sculpin, and there is an ever so small hint of peppers in the nose. Its not letting on much for the drinker to be prepared.

The taste has hops, some pepper flavor, finishing with a heat that lasts a good while, though is cut a bit by grapefruit and bitterness into the finish. As a few sips are taken, the heat builds.

Full bodied, crisp, with building heat and bitterness that finishes out the flavor.

Overall, it is an interesting and tasty beer. That being said, Habanero beers always get the pepper flavor stuck in my throat for a while, and I don't really dig that so much. I was happy to try this one but I wouldn't buy a six pack anytime soon. If I had another bottle I would probably cook with it.

4.64/5  rDev +23.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

I love pepper beers, and this could be the big one, being as I love sculpin. This is my first time having this brew so here goes...

Smell is similar to a classic west coast IPA, but one exception, peppers. Up front is the big aroma like slicing peppers for a dish or what not. Its in your face I think, and I'm saying this before tasting it. YAY HABS.

Wow. Just wow. Big hit of capsaisin, Heat level I'd say 5/10 for anything hot. So what I'm saying is this is drinkable to anyone that loves pepper heat. I also notice lots of flavor from the habs, being the pepper lover that I am and having eaten Habaneros raw before. They have a nice tropical fruity flavor before the intense heat hits your senses. This beer does not hit your senses, only imparts a hint of it, to me atleast. Its bold none the less. Beware!

Feel is superb, cant get any more or less carbonated to please beer heads.

Overall as far as a pepper beer goes, this is the best I've had. You really can't make this any better. It is a phenomenal beer with huge dimensions based on what sculpin is, and how you could possibly alter it. Try this beer if you can, it's worth it.

3.99/5  rDev +6.4%

no doubt this is an enormously high quality brew, but i just dont get the fascination with chili peppers in beer. that said, this is among the best i have had, certainly the best that isnt a dark beer. something about the citrusy hops and the habanero spice really work well together. i like that you can get all the flavor of the pepper before the heat comes on, this might be one of the few beers that shows the flavor of the pepper first, and i appreciate that immensely. the hops are awesome, but they cant beat the heat in the finish, which comes on slow but burns low and slow in the back of the throat awhile. the sweetness at the end helps balance it, and it still feels juicy. in the end, i was glad to be sharing a bottle, and truthfully, it just reminded me how good sculpin ipa is as a base beer. it needs nothing at all. that said, its one of my favorite chili beers going, and if thats your cup, then this is your tea. i have no doubt at all about that

3.83/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

See sculpin review by same brewer. Base beer but they infused it with habanero peppers. Had it on draft. Spice Burn is insane. I can't stomach more than a glass. Good but spicy.

4.18/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Bottle shared by Chaney. Thanks Brandon.

4.55/5  rDev +21.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Wow. The sculpin is a truly great IPA. Throw in some habanero and what do you get? A truly great chile beer!

Pours a pristine amber with a beautiful off white 3 finger head that leaves rings of lacing around the glass.

Nose is full of fruit; citrus, predominately grapefruit, orange and... Ugli fruit (now renamed unique fruit). Also some tree sap and resinous pine in the background--not too heavy. A faint heat and bits of chile are there if you know to look for them.

Bam! The palate is assaulted, but not a full frontal assault of bitter hops; more like an indirect flanking maneuver of citrusy and piney hops, then bringing up the habanero for the master stroke. The heat is no joke. Not too much, but as you drink it builds a definite sting. The lips and throat are left with a glorious burn, the tongue and palate get a long finish from the hops and the fruity chile notes, and the soul feels complete. You just want... More!

Mouth feel is not too sticky, but full and firm. The bitter hops are gripping but the malts are quite unctuous.

2.84/5  rDev -24.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Pretty impressive they were able to capture that much habanero flavor in the beer, but it's dominating & overwhelming. I could not finish it.

4.1/5  rDev +9.3%

12 oz bottle

Heavy chili on the nose foretells the capsaicin assault about to be unleashed.

Pours near clear, typical amber, soft medium khaki head. leaves a thicker collar and respectable lace.

Crushing and quite warming chili assault overlaid upon a sturdy and world class IPA. Heat in the back of the mouth and tingling on the lips. If you are not into chili/spicy I would stay away from this one....chili heads rejoice and go get some

3.17/5  rDev -15.5%

Maybe a personal thing. I love Ballast Point. Other styles are home runs. This one, is way overpowered by the habanero and should not have the Sculpin name included. Time to move on....

2.47/5  rDev -34.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.25

This just isn't my thing. Color was fine, smell was promising, but the taste, it's just way too much habanero pepper for me to really get passed to pick out more subtle nuances of things like hop profile and such. I understand for some people this would be a dream come true, but for me, it's just way too hot to enjoy. Gave a middle of the road 3 score to mouthfeel due to the fact that I couldn't drink enough to really properly asses it.

4.31/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

This is a special beer. Sculpin is an excellent IPA and when they say they added habanero..they mean it. This has a bite and mixing that with the hoppy-ness is unexpectedly pleasant and refreshing!

3.37/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Pepper beers aren't my favorite but this was a gift. It's the best one I've had but still couldn't drink it all. Very balanced and spicy but just not my thing.

I've never give anything a one, but if I wanted to taste peppers I would buy a pepper. Got this as an extra in a trade and couldn't finish it. Take one sip and your throat is on fire.

3.5/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

This is certainly an interesting beer, and I am glad I tried it. I have enjoyed some chili beers in the past but the ones I have had were balanced by chocolate.

The sweet counter is something I find missing here. It's all ipa up front then pure pepper flavor/heat. The heat isn't overwhelming, but I feel I would get a similar experience by sipping a sculpin then biting a pepper. It just not well integrated. All in all a fun experience, and if you love hot peppers this is for you.

4.57/5  rDev +21.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer is straight fire. Not for the delicate palate. It will also decimate most palates so taste this beer last. I had it on draft and from a bottle while in San Diego last summer and I assumed it never journeyed very far from home; as I am now having a Habanero Sculpin in Boston, I'm glad to have been proven wrong.

4.79/5  rDev +27.7%

Pours a deep and clear ocher with a barely there head. Smells of pale malt, lighty charred chile, and citrus hops. In the flavor, this has a nice malty base with a touch of caramel and solid citrus hops. Chile takes over completely. Fruity habanero and great heat. Did they use some roasted chile? Did they use both green and fully ripened habaneros? Awesome. Mellow carbonation and a moderate body. This is an amazing beer. Close to a perfect beer to pair with a number of harder cheeses.

3.77/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a bottle into a nonic, the beer is a bright, crystal clear, caramel-gold coloring with a steady flow of carbonation in the body and a fluffy, clingy, off-white head. Aromas of grapefruit and tangerine forward, very bright and sweet, with very subtle peppery notes, and a sweet malty character. Flavors are grapefruit tart and sweet forward, with an immediate backbone of pepper spice and heat. The heat remains constant throughout, and lingers after each sip. It never overpowers, but it never leaves, either. The citrus blend does work nicely with the heat, and the light, effervesced body keeps the drinkability high for this beer. The aftertaste is completely overtaken by the pepper spice and heat. The finish has a long spicy linger. Interesting twist on a great IPA.

2.67/5  rDev -28.8%

Smells great but the heat is unbearable. Just not a beer worth drinking.

4.37/5  rDev +16.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Bright, clear, yellow hued body; thick, chunky, white head. Bold floral and fruity aroma; berries and melon. Malty, pleasantly hopped IPA offering, then a fiery pepper heat. Light to medium in body; juicy; crisp; mostly dry finish.

I knew I was in for a peppery treat when an intense burn touched my lips while I was sampling the aroma and got a bit of foam on my mouth. The beer looks great, like a solid BP IPA offering and the hop aroma is top notch but without a hint of the coming heat. Even the initial sip doesn't really reveal the habanero heat that follows, but it does come on - strongly! The great thing is that after several sips, the IPA and chili beer characters meld together in a very satisfying way. The juicy, hoppy IPA part reveals itself at the beginning and then transitions to a powerful chili pepper heat midway through and lingering well into the finish. Anyway, it's a fine pairing of two distinct beer styles. If you like both styles, this beer is sure to satisfy. If you like chili beers, this should truly be enjoyable. If you're strictly a hoppy IPA kind of person, the habanero pepper may not cut it for you. For my money, this is one fantastic, unique take on mixing and blending to seemingly disparate beer styles and doing it in a notable, very appealing way.

4.54/5  rDev +21.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

i love pepper beers and this does not disappoint. everything i love about sculpin but with a spicy kick to it.

to view more.