Habanero Sculpin - Ballast Point Brewing Company

Habanero SculpinHabanero Sculpin

Ballast Point Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: billshmeinke on 02-26-2011)
3.76/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Holy Jesus, that's spicy. Sting your mouth, level spicy. As big as they brought the grapefruit blast, so now does sculpin bring the pepper. The stinging is so pronounced, this beer is tough to drink on its own, it cries out for food pairing! Drink this with fish tacos you just bought at a taco truck on the streets of LA.

3.84/5  rDev +1.9%

3.58/5  rDev -5%

4.5/5  rDev +19.4%

I like Sculpin and I like spicy foods, and particularly enjoy the fruity flavor of habaneros, which I feel compliments hoppy beers surprisingly well, better than other peppers/chiles at any rate. Needless to say I thoroughly enjoyed this beer. The heat is present but, IMO, does not overwhelm the underlying Sculpin base beer, but rather compliments it.

3.75/5  rDev -0.5%

1.8/5  rDev -52.3%

2.25/5  rDev -40.3%

4.6/5  rDev +22%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Easiest beer to rate ever. If you like Habanero peppers as I do, you will find this delectable. Spicy food lovers and heat heads do not miss this beer. Much less IPA than Chili beer, it goes right up to the line but does not cross. The Habanero flavor is very real, while the Sculpin flavor is bringing up the rear. I'll buy this whenever I see it. The most perfect pizza beer I can now think of....

4.04/5  rDev +7.2%

12 ounce bottle, bottled on November 19, 2014. Served in a DFH IPA glass, the beer pours an amber/orange color with about an inch off-white head. Head retention and lacing are both good. The brew smells like habaneros, citrusy hops (grapefruit, mango, orange peel), and a bit of sweet malt. I think the taste is pretty much like the aroma, except that the habanero heat overpowers the other flavors. There's also a lingering spicy peppery finish. Mouthfeel/body is medium, it's coating and has a good amount of carbonation. It's not the hottest beer I've had, but it's certainly hotter than most chili pepper beers I've tried. If you like spicy chili beers, then you need to try some of this. I won't have any problems finishing this 6-pack!

4.56/5  rDev +21%

4.25/5  rDev +12.7%

Delicious in small quantity.

I love spicy food/beverages, so one could say that this review is biased. But I think it's really the opposite. You wouldn't want someone who hates IPAs reviewing regular sculpin, would you?

This really is one of my favorite beers of all time. I get that most people can't handle it, because it is actually hot enough to make me break out in a solid sweat, but I frickin' love that. Really bummed that it hasn't caught on as much as the grapefruit variant because I could drink this all day on a regular basis. Definitely nothing noteworthy from the IPA perspective... the habanero basically dominates so much that it could be any beer hidden under there. But god damn is it tasty as a whole.

2.5/5  rDev -33.7%

Both the bartender and I thought she was pouring a regular Sculpin. One large mouthful of this and I had to have something else to drink urgently. The pepper taste is overwhelming and very hot. I cannot imagine why anyone would do this to a great beer like Sculpin.

1.25/5  rDev -66.8%

3.56/5  rDev -5.6%

3.6/5  rDev -4.5%

4.25/5  rDev +12.7%

Just had it on tap. I love Sculpin and Habenero so it was a no brainier for me. Maybe a tad in the hot side but it was served in a 6 oz brandy glass and was the perfect portion.

4.25/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Habanero Sculpin from Ballast Point Brewing Company