Habanero Sculpin - Ballast Point Brewing Company

Habanero SculpinHabanero Sculpin

Ballast Point Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: billshmeinke on 02-26-2011

2.96/5  rDev -21.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 2.5

Too much habanero. One dimensional.

2.89/5  rDev -23.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

I love sculpin and grapefruit sculpin. This is the red headed step-child of the family to be sure. Good chili heat though!

4.19/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

3.84/5  rDev +2.1%

A unique take on an IPA. On first sip, starts off with the usual IPA characteristics, then BAM leaves your tongue lingering with capsaicin from the habanero. I enjoy spicy foods regularly, so I didn't find the spiciness overwhelming. But, I'd recommend drinking this beer with something to cleanse your palate in between sips to maximize its flavor profile. Otherwise, the habanero will overwhelm your palate.

2.83/5  rDev -24.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Too much pepper, not enough ipa. Not enjoyable

4.33/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I have to agree if you don't like spicy food don't review it, lol. The nose is incredible, lots of spice. after a few sips the spice lingers but it's not overdone, still drinkable. Probably the most heat I've had in a beer though. My only criticism is that the hops are lost for me. The hop forward flavor of regular sculpin takes a distant back seat to the heat. Like a spicy pale if that makes sense.

3.69/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.55/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

1.95/5  rDev -48.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Since I love the grapefruit sculpin I thought I would give this one a try. Honestly for me, this beer is horrible. I like spicy things but I can't even drink this. I took one sip and my mouth is still burning 5 minutes later. For me this is a horrible beer. I like beers with peppers but I can't even drink this one.

4.14/5  rDev +10.1%

3.75/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.79/5  rDev +0.8%

Hot! The craftsmanship overall is world class. Damn spicy, but works. If your a fan of ballast point and spicy food I would try it. Would I buy again? no. But happy i grabbed a sixer.

3.65/5  rDev -2.9%

4.49/5  rDev +19.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

If you dont like hot shit, dont drink it. It says 'habanero' so if you know anything about beer, I imagine you might know about food and know that habanero is hotter than any other pepper you can buy at the grocery store, by far...So if you expected this to not have a good kick, then you missed the point. This beer is GREAT! By far the best 'chili' beer. And still a VERY good beer for anyone that likes a little heat. Get some! Pours with a one finger head...but the heat leaves my gf asking for more

4.01/5  rDev +6.6%

Serving: 12 oz. bottle poured into a Founder's pint glass. Bottled on 12/19/14, making this just over a month old.

A: Looks like regular Sculpin, clear, dark, golden-yellow. There is a lot of floating sediment if you look closely enough, which may have to do with the addition of the peppers.

S: First thing I pick out is fresh pepper. Not necessarily habanero pepper, since this isn't a sweet aroma, but definitely fresh, earthy pepper aroma. There is some subtle hoppyness in the background, with subtle notes of tangerine and grapefruit, but it definitely does not explode with hops like regular Sculpin.

T: Wow, this guy is hot. It may not be the equivalent of biting into a habanero (that's just cruel), but this is definitely hotter than your average hot sauce or jalepeno pepper. It's a good natural burn and I like it a lot. Because this is so hot, I can't really comment on much else. Any trace of Sculpin underneath is pretty much obliterated by the heat. I even have a hard time discerning if this is an IPA vs. some other style like a golden ale or pale ale. It's all heat from the moment it hits your tongue.

M: Hot, hot, hot.

O: This is a tough beer to score. Purely on the style, it's not too bad. I'd dial the heat back a touch and maybe bring the IPA elements forward, but overall, this is an IPA made with habanero and they nailed it. Compared to other beers though, it all depends on how much you like spicy foods. Me personally, I like spicy food, so I enjoyed this beer, but could really only have one. It reminds me a lot of Founder's Spite, which is also really good. Way hotter than Mango Magnifico, and not quite as balanced. Easy to forget this is a world-class IPA underneath.

Recommendation: Avoid if you don't like really spicy food. If you like things moderately hot to really hot, and you like IPAs, would definitely try this one out.

4.01/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.5/5  rDev -6.9%

1.76/5  rDev -53.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1

Vile. Looks innocent, like the regular Sculpin. Smelled vegetal and savory.
As soon as the beer touched my lips, I retched. Managed to swallow the second sip with a cringe.

Soon afterwards, the back of my throat began to burn unpleasantly. Now, I enjoy spicy foods, but hate "spicy for the sake of spicy" stuff. I returned a few minutes later determined to get a few ounces down. Mission accomplished, regrettably.

The rest of the bottle is currently eroding through my kitchen plumbing.

4.26/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.5/5  rDev -6.9%

3.85/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

2.43/5  rDev -35.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.75

This beer looked promising. Good color, unusual but interesting aroma, solid body... but the taste was awful. You could tell there was a good IPA hiding in there somewhere, but the habanero is just so overpowering. I like spicy stuff, don't get me wrong, but Ballast Point probably should have dialed back the fire.

Glad I only bought a single, something I never say about Ballast Point.

3.86/5  rDev +2.7%

3.96/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

4.29/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

This is a unique beer in its effect. It's very spicy, and it leaves you not wanting more. But not in a bad way. It's aroma was green peppers, and a slight hint of hops. The taste was much like the aroma. This left my lips numb, and it changed as it warmed. I liked this one by Ballas Point, but without a doubt you can't drink more than one at a time. Better with a food pairing.

Habanero Sculpin from Ballast Point Brewing Company