Habanero Sculpin - Ballast Point Brewing Company

Ballast Point Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: billshmeinke on 02-26-2011

Reviews by AWolfAtTheDoor:
4.1/5  rDev +9%

Had this on tap at Pizza Port san clemente's Hoptoberfest.

Interesting copper color, that has just a hint of haze to it.

Can smell the heat from the pepper on the nose. Citrusy fruity hops that make it a Sculpin are still there.

Hoppy upfront, but then the habanero starts to emerge like a phoenix from the ashes. Nice warming sensation that continues. More tropical citrus flavors, but they really struggle against the habanero. The flavor is actually somewhat balanced.

Mouthfeel is actually very nice. The heat from the pepper builds up, but never reaches critical mass.

This is actually a really well done beer. I've never given chili beers a chance, but I have to say this is very well done. If given the choice, I'd always reach for a regular Sculpin. However, I really have to applaud the brewer's effort on this one. Very good beer.

4.59/5  rDev +22.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Easiest beer to rate ever. If you like Habanero peppers as I do, you will find this delectable. Spicy food lovers and heat heads do not miss this beer. Much less IPA than Chili beer, it goes right up to the line but does not cross. The Habanero flavor is very real, while the Sculpin flavor is bringing up the rear. I'll buy this whenever I see it. The most perfect pizza beer I can now think of....

I love spicy food/beverages, so one could say that this review is biased. But I think it's really the opposite. You wouldn't want someone who hates IPAs reviewing regular sculpin, would you?

This really is one of my favorite beers of all time. I get that most people can't handle it, because it is actually hot enough to make me break out in a solid sweat, but I frickin' love that. Really bummed that it hasn't caught on as much as the grapefruit variant because I could drink this all day on a regular basis. Definitely nothing noteworthy from the IPA perspective... the habanero basically dominates so much that it could be any beer hidden under there. But god damn is it tasty as a whole.

3.72/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I consider myself to be a spicy beer fan, but this one is extreme. It's not undrinkable, though, but all I can get is heat and carbonation. However, I find myself wanting to try another. Go figure.

4.5/5  rDev +19.7%

You must like heat to like this beer, otherwise don't try it. Lots of heat and habanero flavor, het still tastes like an IPA. Good beer and great job by Sculpin in my opinion.

3.9/5  rDev +3.7%

Had on tap last night at Jake's Billiards here in GSO.Came in a goblet a burnt orange infused golden with a 1/2 finger head that lasted for awhile.Big citric hops than a big burning heat,both are large and in charge.At first the flavors were of big citric and resiny hops with a slower burn but as I drank more the heat overpowered the hoppiness and kinda took over.I like heat and I liked this beer but one goblet is all I could really drink of it.

4.75/5  rDev +26.3%

3.25/5  rDev -13.6%

3.75/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.4/5  rDev +17%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap at Newhall Refinery in Santa Clarita, CA.

Beautiful deep golden amber in color, creamy white head with minimal lacing. The nose is dominated by peppery and citrusy aromas, primarily grapefruit coming through. It tastes exactly like Sculpin, with just a hint of capsaicin on the taste buds. However, let me warn you, this beer is genuinely hot. A 12 ounce snifter glass was a daunting task to finish. Overall, I was extremely pleased with this beer, simply a rock solid IPA with a habanero kick.

4.5/5  rDev +19.7%

3.68/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

12 oz Bottle.I love Sculpin but this was just to spicy for me.If your into spicy things this may be just the brew for you.I just could not overlook the Habanero taste.Just to strong.

3.25/5  rDev -13.6%

I love sculpin. The habanero was very strong, killing anything that made sculpin nice. However, if i disregarded that it was a sculpin variation, it was a nice beer.

look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Habanero Sculpin from Ballast Point Brewing Company