Habanero Sculpin - Ballast Point Brewing Company

Habanero SculpinHabanero Sculpin

Ballast Point Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: billshmeinke on 02-26-2011

Our Sculpin IPA with Habanero Pepper began as a crazy experiment that’s taken on a life of its own. While its bright fruit notes and hoppy bite has made the original one of our favorites, this version takes that balance of flavors to the next level with the citrusy, floral heat of habaneros. Sculpin are known to sting, but this one’s got a kick.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Habanero Sculpin Alström Bros
Reviews: 371 | Hads: 1,939

I've never give anything a one, but if I wanted to taste peppers I would buy a pepper. Got this as an extra in a trade and couldn't finish it. Take one sip and your throat is on fire. (183 characters)

1.55/5  rDev -59%
look: 4.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

Interesting to say the least. Tastes like jalapenos and nacho cheese. Pretty awful. Oddly, I’d probably buy it again to share with other people, even though I would not enjoy the experience. Sure took a great beer and made it terrible. (237 characters)

1.57/5  rDev -58.5%

The habanero overpowers everything. It masks the grapefruit flavors and the heat lingers far too long.

I'm a fan of IPA's and hot goods. I did not like this one. This is a big miss from Ballast Point. The Grapefruit Sculpin is fantastic. Very disappointed with this version. (282 characters)

1.83/5  rDev -51.6%

Worst beer i have ever had in my life period! Having the name sculpin in this beer is a disgrace to the name. This beer taste like drinking hot pepper juice with nothing but heat on the tongue. I like spicy food alot and was excited to try this, but it is just pathetic attempt at making a beer. there is just nothing going on in this beer except heat. I'll stick to the grapefruit sculpin which is a amazing beer. One thing i will say is try mixing about 1/4 part habanero sculpin and 3/4 parts grapefruit sculpin and it is quite good. (545 characters)

1.87/5  rDev -50.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1

Vile. Looks innocent, like the regular Sculpin. Smelled vegetal and savory.
As soon as the beer touched my lips, I retched. Managed to swallow the second sip with a cringe.

Soon afterwards, the back of my throat began to burn unpleasantly. Now, I enjoy spicy foods, but hate "spicy for the sake of spicy" stuff. I returned a few minutes later determined to get a few ounces down. Mission accomplished, regrettably.

The rest of the bottle is currently eroding through my kitchen plumbing. (489 characters)

2.04/5  rDev -46%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Since I love the grapefruit sculpin I thought I would give this one a try. Honestly for me, this beer is horrible. I like spicy things but I can't even drink this. I took one sip and my mouth is still burning 5 minutes later. For me this is a horrible beer. I like beers with peppers but I can't even drink this one. (316 characters)

2.06/5  rDev -45.5%

After having the Grapefruit, I knew to expert not just a subtlety spicy beer, but a fiercely habaneroed beer. And indeed it is. It has the perfect look and feel of a Sculpin, but it all goes down hill from the point in which you tip the glass. The Grapefruit I could deal with and semi-enjoy, but this I poured out after only a few sips. (337 characters)

2.18/5  rDev -42.3%

Bottle. Pours like Sculpin. Mostly clear, nice head. Aroma is quickly spicy. I can tell that those peppers aren't going to be shy. Underlying hoppiness that is very dulled down compared to the original. The flavor has an initial flourish of hoppiness, then comes a stunning amount of heat. It's like fruity/hoppy hot sauce. Habanero water. A few sips is enough for me. Far too hot. I couldn't even imagine drinking a six pack of this in one sitting. A full six pack would be torture and probably cause life-altering, spraying diarrhea. Sweat inducing heat. I didn't like Grapefruit Sculps that much and this one is twice as bad. Leave the fish alone, it's good enough in its natural state. (689 characters)

2.24/5  rDev -40.7%

This was an extra and I was super excited to try it. After I tried it I was super excited that it was an extra and I didn't spend money on this.

Let me start by saying I am a big fan of Sculpin, grapefruit Sculpin and habanero chilis but this was a mix that just did not work.

Look is great like regular sculpin and the mouthfeel is about the same also with good carbonation and texture.

That's where the sculpin comparison ends. The smell was not good and the fruit and hops were replaced with jalapeños and vinegar.

The taste was terrible and not because it was too hot (I like spicy) but it was just muddled and wrong in all kinds of ways, basically The spice overtook all other flavors.

I wanted to like this one but sadly most of the 12oz bottle didn't get consumed. (781 characters)

2.25/5  rDev -40.5%

Had on draft. Beer tasted good but so much heat it is pretty much undrinkable and I am someone who enjoys spiciness. I managed about 2oz and called it quits. I am wondering if the draft version I had was more intense than the bottled version reading some of the other reviews. (276 characters)

2.26/5  rDev -40.2%

If you are a habanero lover, you may really like this one. As someone who likes mild heat, this was far too much and didn't last past one sip. The hear is immediate and intense. It lingers a long time on the palate and is not unpleasant if you expect this much heat. The sculpin taste is lost on me due to the amount of heat. The most uniqueness beer I have had. (362 characters)

2.38/5  rDev -37%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

This beer tastes like burning. Can't detect any Sclulpin or hops. Any other label and I'd say it's a mess. With Ballast Point, I applaud the effort, but it's likely still a mess. Trying to finish the entire $2.99 bottle, but I don't like my chances. (253 characters)

2.45/5  rDev -35.2%

I know it's habanero, but having had a number of other pepper beers, I expected a lot more complexity. Especially from people like ballast point that know what they're doing, this is really disappointing. (205 characters)

2.47/5  rDev -34.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.25

This just isn't my thing. Color was fine, smell was promising, but the taste, it's just way too much habanero pepper for me to really get passed to pick out more subtle nuances of things like hop profile and such. I understand for some people this would be a dream come true, but for me, it's just way too hot to enjoy. Gave a middle of the road 3 score to mouthfeel due to the fact that I couldn't drink enough to really properly asses it. (440 characters)

2.49/5  rDev -34.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 1.75

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Pours golden with nice clarity; fluffy eggshell white head that leaves great retention and sticky lacing. The aromas are nice. Lots of citrus and tropical notes with lots of peppers. There's a nice balance between the hops and peppers in the aromas. There's absolutely no balance in the flavor department. This is definitely the spiciest beer I've ever had. You take a sip, and the heat will hit you pretty quickly in the finish. And it lingers. You really feel the heat in the throat and even on the lips. The heat diminishes the flavors and anything else going on. The spiciness is no joke. Mouthfeel is medium-bodied with nice moderate carbonation. The heat seems to become normal by the time you get to the bottom of the glass, most likely because my palate is fried. It's ultimately hard to drink. Makes a nice sipper.

Haha I don't like this at all. But you gotta give them credit for execution. They deliver what they advertise. We all know what a habanero is capable of, so of course it's going to be hot! If you're a genuine fan of hot/spicy stuff, then this beer is absolutely for you. I like spicy stuff, but this just isn't enjoyable for me. I'm glad I gave it a try, but this isn't for me at all. (1,248 characters)

2.5/5  rDev -33.9%

This was the equivalent of Atomic hot wings. It is just too hot to enjoy. There is almost no undertone of the great IPA that is supposed to be it's base. (153 characters)

look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

the star of the show here is the not-subtle pepper flavoring. smells, tastes and feels like pepper; simply too overpowering of an implementation. i appreciate the experiment, but i split a 6-pack among friends and nobody finished a full single bottle. (253 characters)

look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I like spicy food. On a heat scale this beer is fine, definitely on the upper threshold but not unbearable.

The only reason you add things to beer is to enhance them. Some spicy in stouts can play really nicely due to the fact the dark roast malts and often chocolate can support the spice. The spice completely obliterates the base beer. You could add that amount of spice to any IPA and it wouldn't taste any different. (428 characters)

2.5/5  rDev -33.9%

Both the bartender and I thought she was pouring a regular Sculpin. One large mouthful of this and I had to have something else to drink urgently. The pepper taste is overwhelming and very hot. I cannot imagine why anyone would do this to a great beer like Sculpin. (265 characters)

2.52/5  rDev -33.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.75

This beer looked promising. Good color, unusual but interesting aroma, solid body... but the taste was awful. You could tell there was a good IPA hiding in there somewhere, but the habanero is just so overpowering. I like spicy stuff, don't get me wrong, but Ballast Point probably should have dialed back the fire.

Glad I only bought a single, something I never say about Ballast Point. (388 characters)

2.56/5  rDev -32.3%

12 oz bottle poured into a shaped pint glass.

4.25 Appearance
Gold with 2 fingers of creamy, white head. Good clarity with hop (pepper?) oils floating around. Moderate carbonation.

Nose
Habaneros, mango, papaya, and candy sugar.

Taste
Full-on habanero blast of heat assaulting my tastebuds. Tropical notes hide beneath with papaya and mango. Some candy sugar sweetness. ...But mostly habanero heat.

Mouthfeel
Medium bodied, spicy, hot, and unforgiving.

Overall
Wow, who can drink this? It's Not really enjoyable as it's just burning my ears and giving me impending diarrhea. Not cool, Ballast Point. not cool at all. (621 characters)

2.6/5  rDev -31.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

I had a taster at the Ballast Point at Miramar.

Oh, this one was a mess. Glad that I had a taster. While I like beers with some spice (Bomb!), this one was way, way too much. You couldn't taste any hops. While it wasn't too hot, the habanero just overpowers everything else. Pass. (281 characters)

2.65/5  rDev -29.9%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

I'm a bit of a spicy food freak so this was right up my ally. The fruityness and spice of the habanero complemented the dry mild apricot like taste of the ipa. The best form of sculpin in my opinion (198 characters)

2.65/5  rDev -29.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

I truly had good intentions prior to drinking this beer. However, it actually tastes like you are swallowing acid reflux or suffering from terrible heartburn. I love me some spicy, but daaaaamn! (194 characters)

2.71/5  rDev -28.3%

12oz SN IPA Glass

Pours a lightly hazy golden orange with a foamy off white head.

Brief notes of tropical, citrus hops followed quickly by a strong spicy, peppery blast.

Mostly just peppery heat, faint hops in the finish.

I enjoy spicy foods, and peppered/spicy beers but this was really over done. Drinkable, but not enjoyable. (333 characters)

Habanero Sculpin from Ballast Point Brewing Company