Habanero Sculpin - Ballast Point Brewing Company

Habanero SculpinHabanero Sculpin

Ballast Point Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: billshmeinke on 02-26-2011)
4.92/5  rDev +29.8%

Kerrrie, Oct 14, 2014
3.76/5  rDev -0.8%

RocketCityVol, Oct 14, 2014
4.04/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Poured from 12oz bottle into Hard Rock Cafe branded tumbler glass.

Appearance: Orange-gold color with a slight amber hue. Large, creamy orange-tinted head dissipates slowly and yields a hefty amount of lace.

Smell: Just like Sculpin, mostly- various hop aromas from pine to grapefruit to mango. They are toned down a bit, though by a burning smell...that must be the habanero.

Taste: Begins with tropical fruit flavor, just like Sculpin. The hoppy finish, though is toned down a lot by the hot habanero. And this thing is quite hot! Instead of the piney and even earthy notes that can be tasted in plain ol' Sculpin, the fruity and citric hop qualities shine through more in this iteration.

Feel: Medium to heavy body, smooth carbonation, slick finish. But damn, this thing is hot. I can feel the spice on my lips, in my mouth, in my throat, and in my stomach.

Overall: Chili beers are kind of hit or miss in my opinion, and I really haven't had many and it has been a long time since I actually have. I remember the ones I did have had a more chipotle flavor with a mild spice. Not so here- this beer is pretty damn spicy; the spiciest beer I have had (that doesn't mean it is the spiciest beer around, though).

Good overall, a nice twist on Sculpin which I drink a lot nowadays. I was hesitant to buy this, though, because it comes in a six pack, I didn't know if I would like it. After sucking it up and grabbing a sixer last night I am thankful that I do like the beer, but this might be better suited for a bomber, or to split the sixer with friends. If you can find a single bottle (I couldn't) maybe go for that.

Mosstrooper, Oct 13, 2014

tweezer159, Oct 13, 2014
3.83/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from 12 oz bottle into snifter. Bottle dated 14263, and if my math is correct this is a little more than 3 weeks old.

A: Pours a light sunshine yellow with generous 3 finger soapy white head that leaves some nice sticky lacing.

S: Grapefruit, pineapple, and lemon combined with a nice hop punch. Perhaps a faint hint of some chilies.

T: Unlike the nose, the flavors are dominated by hot pepper. There is some underlying hop flavors, but they are immediately killed by the heat.
I enjoy hot pepper, so this appeals to me, but I'm not sure I could drink more than one in a session.

M: Medium body and crisp carbonation. If it wasn't for the heat, this would be crushable.

O: An interesting variant on an excellent IPA. The habaneros are prominent and up front. I'm glad I tried it, but probably won't buy another.
Solidifies my choice to buy a single rather than a six pack.

richj1970, Oct 12, 2014
4.25/5  rDev +12.1%

needMIbeerinMD, Oct 12, 2014

oriolesfan4, Oct 12, 2014

Serving Type: Bottle
Appearance: Amber; transparent; couple of fingers of white head that falls to legs collar and lacing.
Smell: Apricots and oranges with a hint of spice
Taste: Begins with juicy citrus and sweet peach jam taste that quickly swerves to a brutal burn of surprising intensity. If you like capsaicin you will enjoy this one!
Mouthfeel: Light bodied with some sparkly crisp carbonation.

Roxie_B, Oct 12, 2014