Habanero Sculpin - Ballast Point Brewing Company

Habanero SculpinHabanero Sculpin

Ballast Point Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: billshmeinke on 02-26-2011

Our Sculpin IPA with Habanero Pepper began as a crazy experiment that’s taken on a life of its own. While its bright fruit notes and hoppy bite has made the original one of our favorites, this version takes that balance of flavors to the next level with the citrusy, floral heat of habaneros. Sculpin are known to sting, but this one’s got a kick.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Habanero Sculpin Alström Bros
Reviews: 411 | Hads: 2,104
3.32/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Crystal clear copper colored with a bright beige head that settles out quickly and leaves a low cap. Bright aroma of citrus hops, no sign of the sweltering heat that lies quietly beneath. Flavor of citrusy hops upfront, could be your standard benign Sculpin, but shortly a spicy note emerges and goes from a low simmer to a rolling boil, and shortly morphs to a dallop of lava swirling over the tongue and cheeks. A faint numbness eventually sets in to even it out. I like spice and heat but this feels just a bit overdone to me. Not much, a little. Interesting beer and definitely worth a try.

4.09/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Must try! Consuming with Sausage, spaghetti squash and prima vera sauce. Should be served at every mex restaurant. Probably good for you too. Definitely a sipper.

A: As good as an Sculpin, dark amber clear body fringed continually with lots of lace and dense white head.

S: Citrusy, rich tropical, and grapefruit ringed and dominated by a hot roasted pepper edge.

T: I get a touch of malt biscuit, up front, crushed by a citrusy/habanero blast that dominates the tongue through to the finish. takes peppery bitterness to a new level. I had to put this aside so it was my last beer of evening or my palate would be wrecked.

F: Medium body with moderate carbonation; with a burning sensation tingles the lips and tongue.

O: Must try. Makes me want to try all of these, but definitely a 1 per session beer.

3.94/5  rDev +4.8%

This is a hot little number, much like my ex wife (screw you Jasmine!), and it may be tasty at first, but it will burn you bad, and then fuck all of your friends.

This beer is bold, unique, and will kick your fucking dick off. It is spicy, but it doesn't linger longer than it should. I think this beer will be hit or miss for most people. For me, like almost every other Ballast Point, it is a grand slam.

4.8/5  rDev +27.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This beer is not for the timid. It has a robust spicy bite, outstanding aroma and clear golden color with a faint head. The spice is indeed a kick to the senses, but for those who enjoy that, this beer will make you happy!

4.28/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance much like any other ipa. However, if you look closely, you can see tiny Habanero flakes floating in the new, ready to scorch the palate. Strong hop nose with subtle citrusy pepper notes. Flavor is a fairly aggressive heat and delectable habanero flavor. Hops are bold yet seem the lie in the background with pine and grapefruit notes. Just a hint of honey- like sweetness from the malt. Very well balanced. Medium bodied. Perfect carbonation. Lingering spice tingles the tongue. Overall, a very well executed pepper ipa.

3.74/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This is a lot like Sculpin...until the raw habanero heat kicks in during the finish. It's hot. Imagine that. If you don't like habanero, you won't like this. That being said, it's an interesting novelty, but not something I'd ever drink on a regular basis. I have found that it pairs very well with some spicy salsa, cheese, wings, etc. Pour a couple oz. for an unsuspecting friend and enjoy the hilarity that ensues.

2.96/5  rDev -21.3%

Love Sculpin. Love grapefruit Sculpin as much if not more so. I'm good with heat so was willing to pony up a big $16 for a 6'er. Rarely write reviews but... consider this a public service announcement. This is awful. Tastes like you left your beer to go piss and your friends pranked you and dumped a bunch of burning hot sauce in your pint glass. Don't let your enjoyment of Sculpin trick you into wasting your hard earned beer money on this Tabasco IPA.

4.33/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

For starters I am a hot pepper fanatic. Habanero's are generally on the low end of my hot scale.
I have loved Scuplin for a couple of years now and was crazy about the Grapefruit version.
The pour on this one to me was just a bit hazier and more amber rust in color. it produced a fairly large creamy head, but it did not last long
I spent some time trying to pick out any hot pepper in the nose. I could not get past the hoppiness, pine resin grapefruit aroma. That first taste without a question that haberneo flavor, smoky and so pronounced.
THere was not a lot of heat, just enough to let you know there was so hot pepper in there
Very VERY Enjoyable

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

Poured into a standard pint glass.
Tawny gold in color, with a huge billowy head of foam.
Aroma-Big whiff of tropical hops and underlying pepper
Taste-Spicy, peppery heat. Hops and malt way in the background.A slow-sipper that would do well with a food pairing to either match or complement this lip-tingling, HOT brew.

3.52/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

So I have finally come to this one, might actually be one of my hardest to say anything about since I joined BA. Reason being, after 3 of these, I found the aroma and the flavor to never have the same heat level. Haha, once I hit that fourth one and found right on the bottom of the bottle: "Heat will vary." Yeah, well now, I feel like a dunce. Here's my sign and the rest as follows:
Into a pint glass, the appearance had a ruddy burnt yellow color with a soft one finger foamy white head that dissipated pretty quickly. Lacing was thin and speckled.
The aroma had the Sculpin qualities and then like said intro, varying heat in different bottles. After having gone through the entire sixer, I threw inside my measly brain and thought to myself "self, why the fuck would any brewery ever put that on their bottles?" I never homebrewed, so I still don't know why BP said that.
The taste, yeah, the same, Sculpin flavors with varying heat, need I say more.
The mouthfeel singes my tongue, whoah there Nelly! Might have varying heat, but hey, fuck me out to wazoo and bend me over sideways to one. All six bottles made my tongue bend over appropriately as an AIPA and provide some degree of heat even if it did vary. Not exactly sessionable.
Overall, an AIPA bringin' da heat, you know, it does do that, just not every bottle. Nice to try, but honestly, I had this sixer since July, so what does that tell you, small doses, please.

2.72/5  rDev -27.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.5

Looks, even smells like a normal beer until about 2 seconds after it goes down. Then you get the burn in your throat from the habernero's. The bartender didn't think I would finish it but I did manage to drink the whole thing but won't be getting it again. I guess if you like inferno chicken wings or the like it might be your style.

2.9/5  rDev -22.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 1

Finally tried this on draft last night. Looks and smells just like regular Sculpin. My first sip (which, it turned out, was my only sip), tasted fine for a fraction of a second. Then, an earthy pepper flavor was noted a split second before a burst of chili heat.

Putting chili in beer ruins it. Period, full stop.

Regular Sculpin and its grapefruit variation are fantastic beers but this is an abomination.

3.93/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Pours a clear deep gold bordering on a pale amber producing 2 fingers of frothy, variously bubbled, moderately lasting, white head that leaves a nice coating of lace much like its non-chili namesake. Aroma is pine resin, grapefruit pith & zest & chili pepper with pineapple, orange, peach & sweet caramel trying to emerge in the background. Taste is chili pepper & grapefruit, pine, juniper, pineapple, peach, sweet & bready cobbler pie dough, vanilla & a hint of honey with the sweeter & malty portions at mid-sip but all becomes masked by habanero chili flavor & spice in the finish. Aftertaste is chili, bitter & citrus that becomes bound up and sinks below the surface of a lasting & moderately intense chili pepper spice. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with medium-high carbonation, slick & wet in the mouth, drying after the swallow, with pepper spice & a high octane peppery prickle. A great chili beer & my first experience with an IPA chili brew.

2.75/5  rDev -26.9%

First of all, I love spicy food, so I was very optimistic about this beer and had to look hard to find it locally. Unfortunately, I was disappointed. This one had a very good initial flavor, but very quickly, all I could taste was the pepper. It wasn't too hot and didn't last long, but I didn't like the taste. I will say that I did not have any food with it and plan to save the last one until I can try it with some good heavy food. If my opinion changes then, I'll come back and re-rate it.

3.87/5  rDev +2.9%

This has a nice aroma beautiful floral & citrus hops, slight peppery scent. Then bam! Hot spicy habaneros coats your taste buds and throat and lingers. My chest is on fire, this is hottest chili beer I have. Interesting liked it but can't finish all of it and no use to drink anything else I wont be able to taste it.

3.67/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

The beer pours clear, yellow with a two finger high, white head.

Nose: Pine, citrus, orange, honey and habanero.
Taste: After all I've heard about this my first thought is: "This feels like a ordinary sculpin" - THEN it kicks in! Wholy #%¤"! This is hot! A lot of habanero warmth. I have a lot of trouble feeling anything else... maby a little bit of sweet caramel malt. But mostly HABANERO!
Body: Medium body (I think). It's hard to tell. My mouth and throat is out of order...

The hot habanero stays for a long time and makes me all warm. I like this!
To bad I can't say that about the taste... I mean, Sculpin is a beatiful IPA and with this i'ts all about habanero! I love habanero but Sculpin even more...

3.31/5  rDev -12%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Sculpin you will (should) know - aggressively hopped single San Diego style ipa. This is one of their twists - habanero chilli in the mix. The effect is to make it more savory, which pairs with the citrus hops pretty well (it's not a huge leap from asian food with sweet/chilli combos to this).

My issue with this one is one of measure and consistency bought a 6 pack and literally every bottle seemed to come out with significantly more/less chill. At least one was so spicy to be barely drinkable. How this is possible I don't know.

Overall- superior to other similar experiments I've tried (Rogue Chipotle being the one I recall) but not one I'll go back to in a hurry.

3.75/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Surprisingly fruity smell. Pleasant IPA-like initial taste, right before the spiciness hits. And once it hits, it stays, with a burning that lingers on the lips and back of the throat. An original and interesting beer (especially for a "mass-produced"/widely-available one). Besides the spiciness, it's got a good medium body and nice mouthfeel. Nice.

3.23/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 3.25

Initial taste was pure Sculpin, then immediately followed by a blast of peppery heat that burned all the way down my throat! After the burning faded, you're left with a slight IPAish aftertaste. This went great with a bowl of salsa and chips! If you're looking for heat, this one's for you!

3.55/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

It poured light orange in color with a small white head. Nice smell of citrus and pine giving it a hoppiness of a good IPA. The first taste was of grapefruit with a slight sweet taste of orange and the hotness of habaneros peppers which only lingered to the next sip. The hotness was the dominate taste and for the most part took control. The aftertaste was very dry, would pare good with burgers off the grill. It gained flavor as it warmed at room temperature. This one would warm things up on the "Big Bang" as this brewery is the one they drink.

3.42/5  rDev -9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

Pours a clear, orange color. 1/3 inch head of an off-white color. Good retention and great lacing. Smells of strong citrus and piney hops, sweet malt, and a hint of hot pepper. Mouth feel is smooth and crisp, with an average carbonation level. The heat from the habanero is quite prevalent. Tastes of sweet malt, hops, and mostly hot peppers. Overall, the pepper heat is very dominant, while the aroma is varied the blend is all pepper and nothing else.

2.48/5  rDev -34%

WAY too spicy for me. I honestly found this beer undrinkable. I've had good chili beers-- in particular Prairie Artisan Ales "Bomb!", which is surprisingly delicious-- but this one didn't do it for me. I poured mine out halfway.

4.43/5  rDev +17.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Visited the Ballast Point brewery in little Italy a few weeks ago. One of my favorites. I love their beer and wow this packs a punch. Pours a thick golden with little white head. I often like pales or IPAs with hot food to balance but not sure if this would fit. I thought it would have a hint of spice but the spice is perfect and very noticeable. This is very unique and look forward to many more.

look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

A: This poured a hazy gold with thick white head.
S: It smelled like fresh grapefruit and orange zest and hot habanero, with a little resin and honey malt.
T: It tasted like grapefruit and orange zest for a moment, then very hot peppery habanero, with a hint of sweet honey malt. It had a clean and sweet aftertaste with lasting heat.
M: It was watery with moderate carbonation. Decent body.
D: This was a brutally hot drink, but otherwise a great IPA. The scent and taste were dominated by habanero. The body was a little weak, and the finish was very spicy, so it was not easy to drink. Interesting to try a few sips, but I wish they dialed back the spice, a lot.

Habanero Sculpin from Ballast Point Brewing Company