Habanero Sculpin - Ballast Point Brewing Company

Habanero SculpinHabanero Sculpin

Ballast Point Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: billshmeinke on 02-26-2011

Our Sculpin IPA with Habanero Pepper began as a crazy experiment that’s taken on a life of its own. While its bright fruit notes and hoppy bite has made the original one of our favorites, this version takes that balance of flavors to the next level with the citrusy, floral heat of habaneros. Sculpin are known to sting, but this one’s got a kick.
Ratings: 1,764 | Reviews: 428
2.5/5  rDev -33.5%

This was the equivalent of Atomic hot wings. It is just too hot to enjoy. There is almost no undertone of the great IPA that is supposed to be it's base.

look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

the star of the show here is the not-subtle pepper flavoring. smells, tastes and feels like pepper; simply too overpowering of an implementation. i appreciate the experiment, but i split a 6-pack among friends and nobody finished a full single bottle.

look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I like spicy food. On a heat scale this beer is fine, definitely on the upper threshold but not unbearable.

The only reason you add things to beer is to enhance them. Some spicy in stouts can play really nicely due to the fact the dark roast malts and often chocolate can support the spice. The spice completely obliterates the base beer. You could add that amount of spice to any IPA and it wouldn't taste any different.

2.5/5  rDev -33.5%

Both the bartender and I thought she was pouring a regular Sculpin. One large mouthful of this and I had to have something else to drink urgently. The pepper taste is overwhelming and very hot. I cannot imagine why anyone would do this to a great beer like Sculpin.

look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

First sip at Ballast Point Miramar brewery February 2015 with John, mom and dad.

look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

What a waste of a perfectly good Sculpin.

2.52/5  rDev -33%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.75

This beer looked promising. Good color, unusual but interesting aroma, solid body... but the taste was awful. You could tell there was a good IPA hiding in there somewhere, but the habanero is just so overpowering. I like spicy stuff, don't get me wrong, but Ballast Point probably should have dialed back the fire.

Glad I only bought a single, something I never say about Ballast Point.

2.56/5  rDev -31.9%

12 oz bottle poured into a shaped pint glass.

4.25 Appearance
Gold with 2 fingers of creamy, white head. Good clarity with hop (pepper?) oils floating around. Moderate carbonation.

Nose
Habaneros, mango, papaya, and candy sugar.

Taste
Full-on habanero blast of heat assaulting my tastebuds. Tropical notes hide beneath with papaya and mango. Some candy sugar sweetness. ...But mostly habanero heat.

Mouthfeel
Medium bodied, spicy, hot, and unforgiving.

Overall
Wow, who can drink this? It's Not really enjoyable as it's just burning my ears and giving me impending diarrhea. Not cool, Ballast Point. not cool at all.

2.6/5  rDev -30.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

I had a taster at the Ballast Point at Miramar.

Oh, this one was a mess. Glad that I had a taster. While I like beers with some spice (Bomb!), this one was way, way too much. You couldn't taste any hops. While it wasn't too hot, the habanero just overpowers everything else. Pass.

2.61/5  rDev -30.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

A spicy mess, after adding the pepper there was no semblance of sculpin left...

2.61/5  rDev -30.6%

Just too much heat for me. Way too spicy.

look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

I'm a bit of a spicy food freak so this was right up my ally. The fruityness and spice of the habanero complemented the dry mild apricot like taste of the ipa. The best form of sculpin in my opinion

2.65/5  rDev -29.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Tastes like you are actually swallowing acid reflux or heartburn. I love me some spicy, but daaaaamn!

2.65/5  rDev -29.5%

I just did not enjoy the heat. Not refreshing at all.

2.67/5  rDev -29%

Smells great but the heat is unbearable. Just not a beer worth drinking.

2.7/5  rDev -28.2%

a little to spicy for me

2.7/5  rDev -28.2%

nah... just.... no. just....... *sigh*

2.71/5  rDev -27.9%

12oz SN IPA Glass

Pours a lightly hazy golden orange with a foamy off white head.

Brief notes of tropical, citrus hops followed quickly by a strong spicy, peppery blast.

Mostly just peppery heat, faint hops in the finish.

I enjoy spicy foods, and peppered/spicy beers but this was really over done. Drinkable, but not enjoyable.

2.73/5  rDev -27.4%

Too hot, not sure why this even exists.

2.73/5  rDev -27.4%

One of the oddest beers I've ever had. The habanero is way too overpowering. I like spicy food and I like Sculpin but I can barely taste the Sculpin here. Glad I tried it but won't have it again. If you want to drink some habanero give it a try. If you want to taste Sculpin or something that resembles an IPA stay away.

2.75/5  rDev -26.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

I have tried the Sculpin IPA, Grapefruit Sculpin and the Habanero Sculpin. This is my least favorite of the 3 that I have tried, it was too hot and was not drinkable to me. I still prefer the just the standard Sculpin.

2.77/5  rDev -26.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Poured from a bottle into a nonic pint.

A - Clear orange with a fluffy two-finger white head.

S - VERY strong aroma of capsaicin, vegetal pepper, and a hint of pine.

T - Just a hint of IPA flavor before the pepper taste takes over. Tastes less like a beer and more like carbonated pepper juice. Heat starts out a prickly and slowly builds from there.

M - Lighter bodied with medium carbonation.

O - Unfortunately too spicy (and I love spicy foods) and too gimmicky to really be considered good. Glad I tried it, but would never rebuy and probably wouldn't even take one if offered.

2.78/5  rDev -26.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

The habanero is overpowering an otherwise delightful brew.

2.79/5  rDev -25.8%

I had to try this beer despite the mixed reviews. It looks and smells like a nice IPA. The habanero is slightly noticeable in the nose, but that doesn't really detract from it at all. The taste on the other hand, wow.

The label says "heat may vary". Maybe I got an extra spicy bottle, but man, this beer burns and the habanero is on the forefront. Really bad.

2.8/5  rDev -25.5%

It was just too spicy for me.

Habanero Sculpin from Ballast Point Brewing Company