2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Black Marlin Porter - Cocoa Chipotle - Ballast Point Brewing Company

Black Marlin Porter - Cocoa Chipotle
No picture uploaded.
good

Ballast Point Brewing Company visit their website

Chile Beer |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Halcyondays on 05-05-2011)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 39 | Reviews: 11 | Show All Ratings:
Huhzubendah

District of Columbia

3.31/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

On draft at Ballast point in Little Italy.

Similar appearance to the regular Black Marlin porter. Dark brown, nearing black, with a thin beige cap. The aroma brings the pepper heat right away. The flavor has all of the characteristics found in the base beer, but these are overshadowed by spicy heat. A beer like this walks a fine line. How do you showcase the chipotle and retain a balanced, drinkable beer? A fun experiment and worth a try...once. A sample pour was all I needed. More than a few ounces would fatigue my palate rather hastily.

12-31-2013 16:44:33 | More by Huhzubendah
ArrogantB

Colorado

3.15/5  rDev -13.9%

I had this in tap at the Ballast Point tap room and kitchen in the Little Italy neighborhood. Cool place and lots of beer choices. Appearance was no different than the black marlins I've had previously, black. Aroma was chipotle pepper and the flavor was adobo sauce. This wasn't hot but it was seriously all chipotle, felt very one dimensional. I think the regular version is better.

12-21-2013 00:42:33 | More by ArrogantB
KFBR392

2.93/5  rDev -19.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

The appearance is a dark brown that is lighter on the edges. Smell is dominated by the cocoa nibs and dark malt. The taste is what turned me off. The chipotle peppers come on too strong, burning on the way down. The orange peel and cocoa nibs try to pop through but get beaten down. Mouthfeel is light with some spice. Overall, I respect the effort but in the end it falls short.

06-28-2013 01:19:58 | More by KFBR392
negroobserver

3.66/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

Found this on tap at a craft beer shop in Brooklyn, NYC.

The color is a dark, deep brown/black. Almost no light passes through the glass.

Smells of Chipotle. Strong dominant spicy aroma. It's kind of hard to gather much of anything else.

The first kick is the hardest. This will definitley leave your tongue numb. I love my spicy foods, but the heat here doesn't really do much for me. The burn is definitely there and it dominates everything. Near the end of my beer, I found that my tongue could not distinguish any flavor at all. My buds overloaded and became numb.

Can't really comment on this because the heat did not really allow me to enjoy the mouthfeel. I didn't see much carbonation in the glass so you won't be getting any tingling sensation from that.

Overall... It's a bold experiment, but I don't see myself coughing up another $10 for a pint of this. I satisfied my curiosity but didn't find any satisfaction with this one.

05-13-2013 22:31:17 | More by negroobserver
HopHead84

12/27/2011

On tap at Home Brew Mart. Black Marlin infused with cocoa nibs and chipotle peppers.

A: Very dark brown with a finger of tan cream.

S: Aromatic chipotle notes are pronounced, blending nicely with rich cocoa and fudge. Roasted malt is evident and there's an earthy quality.

T: Cocoa nibs accompany dark chocolate and a pleasant chipotle flavor. The heat is mild and adds a nice touch to Black Marlin. Roasted grains meet a light bitterness. Pepper heat increases a little in the finish.

M: Lower full body with medium carbonation. The mouthfeel is creamy and sticky.

Overall: A nice variation on Black Marlin. The use of Chipotle is tasteful.

12-27-2011 21:40:28 | More by HopHead84
AgentZero

2.75/5  rDev -24.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

This beer just sounds strange.

A - Dark brown beer with just a little bit of head off an agressive pour. Some spots left on the sides.

S - I've come to realize I don't like the smell of chipotle. This beer seems to have it in ample supply. There's some chocolate also, fitting due to the name. Just smells kind of bad, like something experimental I would whip up in the kitchen and then try to feed to the cat.

T - Really just kind of yuck. Lots of spice and peppers with some chocolate malts that do add a bit of sweetness to this pepper beer. It's not working how it should though.

M - Medium bodied, lower carbonation, but probably just due to the fill.

D - I don't like this beer. I like spice and peppers, but this is boring and just too on the nose.

05-16-2011 20:28:25 | More by AgentZero
d4114

4.33/5  rDev +18.3%

March 28th 2011-

The nose is mostly normal but with a added earthiness with it. Taste follows the nose normal but with that earthiness beers with peppers seem to get, its not a normal earthiness just the only way I can describe it. Has a very pleasant burn in the back of your throat. Every time I have a beer with peppers I really like it this ones no different.

05-12-2011 00:55:07 | More by d4114
womencantsail

3.58/5  rDev -2.2%

On-tap at Bruery Provisions

A: The beer pours a dark brown color with a finger of tan head.

S: Really quite smokey with lots of earthy tones, so the chipotle is really coming through. Plenty of roasted malt and only a mild dark chocolate/cocoa aroma to it. Not really much sweetness.

T: I was surprised how much spice this beer had to it. A big kick of heat from the chipotle peppers which also impart a big time earthiness and smokiness to the beer. Moderately roasty with a more pronounced chocolate quality to them.

M: Medium in body and carbonation.

O: The chile pepper is quite strong, but I thought it was pretty decent and it worked alright with the chocolate and porter base.

05-09-2011 23:37:59 | More by womencantsail
Sean9689

2.53/5  rDev -30.9%

22oz bomber, filled off a tap (I'm assuming) with no label. Thanks to Kan for this rare tick. At least, I was thankful before drinking it...

A - Pours brown, no head, thin collar, no lacing or retention. I'm guessing the lacking amount of bubbles is because of the fill, so I'll be nice here.

S - Peppers, lots of peppers! Oak, slight malty sweetness, but really lots of peppers (get the point?)! Meh, a little too much for me to really stand, let's move on...

T - More peppers? Dammit! Really over powering, like "burning my throat on the way down", overpowering. Can't really concentrate on much else, because it's just too much here.

M - Light, too thin, spritzy peppers tickles (or burns) my throat on the way down.

O - No.Thank.You.

05-09-2011 18:07:00 | More by Sean9689
MasterSki

3.6/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I think this was actually a 22oz bottle filled off a keg, but close enough. Served in a HopCat tulip. Thanks Kan?

A - Half-finger of white foam that settles to a thin white ring and a few wispy bubbles, leaving behind spotty lace. Dark brown body.

S - Chipotles dominate, although there is some chocolate as well. Not much of the base beer is obvious underneath.

T - Tastes like spicy Fritos, with a burnt roast and smokey finish. Not bad, but not particularly enjoyable either.

M - Smooth medium body, pleasant carbonation, interminable peppery heat that lingers for quite a while. I like spicy food, and I'm mostly pro-chili beer, but this would probably be distressing to 75% of the population.

D - Recommended only if you like intense chili heat. Otherwise, stay far away. Not something I could drink regularly either.

D -

Serving type: growler

05-08-2011 07:07:50 | More by MasterSki
Halcyondays

3.5/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

On-tap at Provisions,

A: Pours a dark brown with a very limited bubbly head.

S: Good dark chocolate for sure, hint of chiles.

T: Dark chocolate dominated with a hint of dark fruit. The chiles come to town at the beginning and stay until the end adding a nice backbone of capsaiscin.

M: Medium-bodied, creamy and frothy.

O: A good beer overall, well balanced, but nothing wowing here.

05-05-2011 21:35:17 | More by Halcyondays