Calico Copper Amber Ale - Ballast Point Brewing Company

Calico Copper Amber AleCalico Copper Amber Ale

Ballast Point Brewing Company visit their website

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: xlperro on 04-10-2002

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Calico Copper Amber Ale Alström Bros

2.46/5  rDev -35.1%

Looks great in a glass... looks rich dark amber brown

Subtle on the nose... couldn't really identify any strong characteristics

Very bitter on the tongue... strong coffee and burnt toffee... very dry... a bit hopper than I like

Gave my my mouth a tingly sensation... probably the hops

All and an OK beer... under delivered to my expectation

2.46/5  rDev -35.1%

12oz bottle into a nonic pint.

Appearance (4.5): Dark reddish-orange with two fingers of cream head. Reduces a medium-thick layer with thick lacing at the top.

Aroma (3): Lots of caramel and toffee. Not much in the way of hops.

Taste (2): Sweet, sweet caramel and some cardboard in the middle. A touch of breadiness in the finish. Not very enjoyable.

Mouthfeel (1.5): Much too effervescent for the style. Medium to full bodied and medium to high carbonation.

Overall (2.5): the only impressive part of this beer is the appearance - great lacing, especially near the top. Otherwise, way too sweet.

2.56/5  rDev -32.5%

Served on-draught into a nonical pint glass at the Yardhouse in L.A. Live, Los Angeles, California. Reviewed from notes. Expectations were average. Was overpriced at that location.

A: Pours a two finger head of great cream, nice thickness, and good retention. Colour is a semitransparent copper-amber.

Sm: Amber hops. Light toasted malt. Some light caramel. Maybe nuts. Some cream. A mild strength aroma.

T: Some floral notes. A weak cherry ester. Wretched caramelized dry malts. Poorly balanced and built. Not good. Tame and underplayed. Simple for what it is. Not subtle.

Mf: Smooth and dry. Too thin. Adequate carbonation. Doesn't quite complement the flavours adequately.

Dr: I wouldn't get it again. Poorly executed. Fairly pleasant. Not at all refreshing. A bit pricey on-draught, but the bottled version is likely more affordable.

C-

2.62/5  rDev -30.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

a: A beautiful nut brown color with a wonderful thick cream head that dissipates but does not disappear.

s: I could not get any aroma. Full discloser - I poured it and did not smell it for 15 minutes because work came up. So, I can say that if there was an aroma, it vanished.

t: Grassy malt flavor with a tingle of hops on the end. Very nice and very clean. Traces of spice are present throughout the tasting. Interesting flavors but not necessarily in a good way. It's a beer that makes you think - that's for sure.

m: An extremely pleasant mouthfeel. Slightly oily but not overdone. Just enough to get a coating of flavor around the mouth so the flavor sticks a little longer.

o: Overall this beer was not a great choice for my palate. Complex flavors overwhelmed my desire for more.

2.7/5  rDev -28.8%

22 oz. bottle poured into a mug.

Appearance: Pours a slightly hazy reddish copper color. White head with a bit of amber tint is creamy and thick, lacing the glass a bit.

Smell: Nice aroma of fruits, caramel, malts, and slightly bitter hops.

Taste: Malty with a somewhat tart and/or bitter backdrop. Unfortunately no roasted malts: instead tastes more like burnt malts! That flavor seems to overwhelm the taste after just a few sips; it's quite nasty!

Mouthfeel: Very smooth. Medium-bodied with very light carbonation.

Drinkability: ABV is perfect; taste is not so great for drinking much.

I'm not sure if I just got a bad one, but that burnt taste is really distracting and unappealing. Too bad, because it seemed promising from the look and aroma. With the taste, I'm not even sure if I can finish this.

2.73/5  rDev -28%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

I like this beer for the most part, lingering bitterness in the finish somewhat puts me off. May not buy it again, because there's better beers out there.

2.76/5  rDev -27.2%

Reviewed 12/29/2008 (bottle):

Pours a nice clear brown colored body, fizzy. Big creamy off-white heap, good lacing, lasting. Some alcohol in the nose, some flowery maltiness. Dusty and musty too. Carbonated palate. Malty nutty taste. Dusty too. Some hoppiness, grapefruit. Some sweet spiciness. A little tastier as it warms more.

2.81/5  rDev -25.9%

golden brown with a head that starts out well but disappears to just some bubbling after about 1/4 the way down.smell of hops seem to slightly overpower the malt characterictics.carbonation is a bit much and has a kind of green beer taste between the other flavors.this beer reminds me of a few good amber homebrews i've had.it's a pretty ok brew.but if i'm in the mood for this i'll make it on my own.

2.82/5  rDev -25.6%

Pours a nice, copper color but there's almost no head despite being very well carbonated and a very aggressive pour on my part. It leaves behind a good deal of lacing, which is surprising given the lack of a head. As for the aroma... I can't pick anything up. I tried smelling it with my glass full and got nothing. I tried smelling it with the glass half empty, swirling it around, and the whole nine yards, and still nothing.

As for the taste, there's a solid toasted malt character with some hoppiness to it. It leaves a bitter aftertaste in my mouth. Even though it seems nicely carbonated, it tastes decidedly undercarbonated.

Reading the other reviews, I am kind of surprised and I think that I am drinking a different beer than they are. Perhaps it is past the date where it is still good and my store didn't rotate it for some reason. If that is the case, I apologize for my less than stellar review but nonetheless, I wouldn't recommend this beer and will probably not be getting it again.

2.84/5  rDev -25.1%

2.86/5  rDev -24.5%

Beautiful red color, slightly cloudy

Very nice smell of malt and carmel

Somewhat of a burnt taste with hoppy bite at the end, bitter hop taste dominates

Smooth mouthfeel, a little dense, excellent balance of carbonation

Drinkability: I'm drinking it, I'm not trying to savor it, but I'm not choking it down either. If I really liked the taste of hops or if the hops flavor was more balanced with other flavors then I would like this beer much more. I would drink this beer again if it was offered to me, but I prefer other American Ambers.

2.93/5  rDev -22.7%

This is fairly tasty but is overly bitter, with too much pine-grapefruit bitterness dominating the finish.

Reddish amber, it has a big, light tan head that shrinks slowly but steadily to a thin ring and leaves a little weak lace.

The aroma is wheat, honey, citrusy hops, and dust.

The taste is malty and fruity, bitter before becoming a bit sweet, with faint flowery hops and a hint of toffee. It then finishes very bitter and dry with a strong hoppy pine-grapefruit aftertaste lingering long past its welcome. The hop bitterness gets more prominent as one drinks more.

2.95/5  rDev -22.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Served in a Lagunitas mason jar.

*Insert calico cat joke here...I'm above such feline references. Clearly.* This stuff pours a clear sunset amber topped by a finger of lightly off-cream-white foam. The nose comprises perfume-y toffee, very light mint, and a hint of flowers. The taste holds notes of mild greens, mild flowers, sweet toffee, and some orange peel in the back, resulting a sort of off, funky mess. It's hard to put into words beyond that. Just know that I took it as a negative. The body is a light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a fluid feel. Overall, a strange little amber, one that just didn't do it for me.

Calico Copper Amber Ale from Ballast Point Brewing Company